MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada

Avenida Salvador Allende 11, 29620 Torremolinos Spain

nice hotel

Good

"Stayed here in November 2007 with 11 middle aged friends on a golf trip for 5 nights and I found the hotel perfectly acceptable. Staff were very friendly on reception, in the dining room and especially the bar where the staff looked after us superbly. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of choice and the rooms perfectly adequate for the price we paid. would recommend for group traveling to play golf and we will be returning next year."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of November 2007

great location from this hotel

Good

"booked hotel on a late deal,got a superior room on groundfloor which was quite nice.half board was very good,restaurant was clean and food of a high quality,no sharing when you dined.bottle of water one pound bottle of house wine four pounds. entertainment low key,happy hour three times per week in cabaret bar. most of the clientele over 50, but that doesnt stop the queue for sunbeds at 7 00am,which go quickly.reception area impressive plenty of sofas to relax in. beach opposite hotel has great sunbeds for four euros per day.one plus about the area is it is very flat with a very long promenade .good travel agents outside hotel,turn left,they go everywhere in costa del sol at very reasonable prices."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

Try somewhere else for your own sake!!

"Both myself and a friend booked the Pez Espada for a 6 night stay in the Costa Del Sol Area. We walked into the hotel and the decor was very 60's and 70's but cute. When we began our walk to the room I noticed the dark mustard walls along the hallway. We walked into OUR SUITE...and it was horrific. Now I realize many people give this hotel a decent review but we had a suite and all I can say is it was horrible. The room smelled of smoke and the bed was practically sitting on the floor. The carpet was dirty, the room smelled and the extra bed was actually a cot that was bent in the middle.

The staff was very accomodating and tried to help but honestly the only help this hotel needs is a major renovation.

My advice is to stay at the Hotel Amaragua. It was very sweet, up to date in decor and a great location.

This hotel really needs to be rated a two or three star at best."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

DISAPPOINTED

"My elderly father and mother, son of 13 and I have just returned from a week's holiday at this hotel. Things didn't get off to a great start because 2 of our 3 bags went missing at Malaga airport. However, they turned up 3 nights later. The Thomson rep was, as is usually the case, completely ineffective and would not intervene as it was not his responsibility. I stayed at this hotel 5 years ago prior to its' refurbishment and we really enjoyed our stay there and so had absolutely no reservations about returning for a second time. I agree with other reviewers in as much as this hotel no longer deserves the 4 star status it holds because 4 star it is not. The staff, on the whole, are very pleasant and the hotel cleanliness is adequate, however the food is less than inspiring. Breakfast is very mediocre and repetitive - if you don't like a fry-up every morning then tough, although there is always the choice of one of only 3 cereals on offer, a yoghurt, toast or tinned fruit. Dinner also was very disapointing and the options extremely restricted. The vegetables were frozen, never fresh, the fish again was frozen, there was only ever one choice of meat and a vegetarian meal was thrown in for good measure. Very disappointing. The pools were adequate but the number of sunbeds on offer was absolutely disgraceful. We quickly learned that guests were getting out of bed for 6.30 to 7.00am every morning (whilst it was still dark) to secure their choice of sunbed. Some beds were unoccupied all day while guests spent the day on the beach - this was a daily occurence. Okay, it was peak season but the hotel shouldn't take our money if they can't deliver effectvely. I 've never felt the need to write something so detrimental , but on this occasion feel totally justified."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

if you have an sense of cleanliness and NY standards DONT STAY HERE!!!!

"Both my friend and I are single thirty year old professionals from the NY metro area. We were booked in this hotel months in advance and were disgusted with the fact they CALL themselves 4 star. At best its a two star. Lets start with the fact that they told us this was the best room they had. Key problems:

1. the room reaked of smoke.
2. the bed was was a box spring mattress and you could literally feel the springs. in the next room was a small cot bed which bowed in the middle.
3. the bathroom ceiling was so low we could touch it and was poorly lit.
4. the carpet and decor was out of the 70s. ...the carpet itself had mildew and stains. we were afraid to walk on it with our bare feet.
5. the pool and outdoor grounds were not impressive and unkept.

Luckily we complained upon our arrival and were moved by our travel agent to another hotel nearby which was also a four star a complete 180 from where we were at the pez espada.

if you want the best value for your money this place is not the place to go. if your standards for an establishment are high please take the advice we are lending here because you dont want to go through what we did."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of August 2007

Total Heaven !

"Stayed here for a week in June ... Fantastic perfect location opposite the beach, lovely food and choice to suit everyone great english breakfast !
Spotless clean rooms fully airconditioned.
Would suit the older guest perfectly as there were lots of more mature guests staying there.Not near lager louts or clubs.
We took our 16yr old daughter after her GCSE's not much for her to do in the hotel but ideal location to be near everything.
I cant wait to go back.
The standards at this hotel are high staff are friendly and speak english... oh and men must wear long trousers to dinner !"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of July 2007

Not quite a 4 star

Good

"We stayed at the Pez Espada for two weeks. We enjoyed our stay, the staff were very friendly and proficcient and the food was excellent. We felt that the hotel relied on its location (right on the prom) and
reputation (the 1st hotel in the area) to achieve its 4 star status. The room was large but was frought with problems. we had problems with the fridge which didn't work until day four, the electrical trip
switch made a loud humming noise like an electricity pylon and the bed was soft and very uncomfortable. The air conditioning was on but the coldest setting wasn't a cold enough temperature for our liking. There were not enough beds around the pool; people who were slightly late up were dissapointed and couldnt get a bed.

Overall we enjoyed our stay but we felt there were a few problems which I have mentioned which would not occur in a good four star hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of July 2007

Excellent hotel, location

Good

"Above average hotel. Older clientelle, therefore entertainment based on that. Close to beach- shingle in the water. Get up early if you want to book a bed with sun-shade. Helpful receptionists and Thomson rep. Do not get 'fleeced' by taxi driver on the way to hotel, who aked for 30 euros (going rate is 18 euros.)
Excellent walks."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2007

Best place to stay in Torremolinos/Benalmadena

"We went to this hotel after worringly reading one of the other reviews below, and must say that I feel they must have stayed at another hotel to us!! The place is wonderfull for a relaxing break and posistioned best for both resorts, being slap bang in the middle of both.

The food was of such a good choice and variety that if you couldnt find something that was to your taste, then your not looking hard enough. The breakfasts was as expected, with the sausage, egg, bacon etc, but fruit , yogurt, cold meats if you dont like the norm.
Evening meals was cooked to perfection, so much so that Ive come away feeling that Ive put on 2 stone!

Im 40 and my partner is 25 with no children, so was glad to find that it isnt one of those places that cater largely to famillys, so that may be its only let down if your looking for this, but we prefer the peace and quiet.

We had a room looking straight out to sea, but a slightly small balcony in width for my liking. This was with one of the superior rooms, and a king size bed. Worth the extra I think, for the view along. (Take a look at my pics if I can get them to upload ok!)

One tip is that the hotel has its own website that you can book direct off it, and this may save you some money if your looking to go it alone from the holliday companys. I wish I had, as its so easy to get to the airport either on the train that runs on the coastline, or by taxi -15 euros. I found this out as I had to help an old lady who found herself stranded at the hotel after the holiday company bus didnt pick her up on the way back (they didnt want to know, claimed it was her fault!!). I booked a flight the next day for her as well, with one of the cheap airlines via the hotels internet connection -£75. Doing this made me realise how easy it would be to go it alone and book everything myself, so will do next time. I think its preferably as well, rather than feeling like one of a herd of cattle on their busses to and from the airport.

The hotel does have private weddings on a weekend, and closes the main bar for this purpose, leaving the guests no where to go, but to be honest, your in Torremolinos!!!!, theres tons of other places to go, so not much of a problem I dont think.

PEZ ESAPA, go for it, I'd go again, and trust me, Im picky. :-)"

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Brilliant, wished we had stayed for 2 weeks

"We have recently returned from spending a week at the Pez Espada and on arriving at the hotel we found the reception staff to be very helpful and pleasant (especially when I later locked myself out of the room!) We had upgraded to a sea view room when we booked, it was a very large room with king size bed and the room was on the end of the hotel looking directly out over the beach and sea so we were very impressed. We found the hotel to be very clean and well kept and the cleaning staff were always very friendly. The restaurant staff were very obliging and there was an excellent choice of food to satisfy everyones different tastes. We thoroughly enjoyed all the food that was on offer especially the deserts!! Although there was the usual mad rush for the sunbeds at 7.30ish or earlier (usually Brits!) we always managed to find two unoccupied sunbeds when we went to the pool area around 2pm. We found the hotel to be very pleasingly quiet and was geared to middle aged people and we spent a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing week there and plan to return next year for 2 weeks. The location was excellent, it is situated on the sea front and is the same distance to the centres of Benalmadena and Torremolinos along the flat promenade. All in all we had a lovely time."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2007

location

Good

"This is a tired hotel but clean .we stopped for a week and could have stayed longer.The location is first class ,straight out of the hotel and on to the prom which is flat and plenty to see .Nice beach and clean and well looked after .
The meals were good and varied
I do believe a refurbishment is due so this would make it a very good hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2014

Definately not 4 star!!!!

"What was supposed to be a balcony was approx 5ft square surrounded by three walls.If you stand and look over you are looking at a filthy yard where kitchen waste is taken to an outbuilding and all spillages on the floor are left and never hosed.A large grill in the ceiling allows you to see the cavity between floor and all the dust and pipes running through,maybe their spiders etc are trained not to come out, I queried with reception whether there should be some sort of filter material over the gating to stop dust falling into bedroom and was told I was the only person to have complained, the staff on reception were far from pleasant and the dining room staff were probably trained by the gestapo.The head waiter would not allow table sharing consequently whilst the dining room was half occupied there was a constant queue waiting to come in.Because I travelled alone I was forced to eat every meal on my own.The food was always cold and lacked choice.Before the first week was over I asked the Thomson rep to try to get me a change of room or a flight home, there were no flights available but the hotel agreed to move me further down the corridor to an identical room with a slightly better outlook where I was not directly over the filthy yard but a little nearer to the promenade. I only ever book a hotel with a heated indoor pool in winter however the pool was feezing and dirty, I checked the condition of the pool many times after I had complained to the Thomson rep and went to take further photos the day before I left and found it had at last been cleaned and heated but alas too late for me. two couples who complained because they had rooms with an apology for what should be a balcony and in addition one room had a foul smell in it, the response from reception was "you get what you pay for" I did not book this hotel I originally booked the Riviera Benalmadena only to be told several months later that the Riviera was closing for the winter for refurb and I was to be UPGRADED to the Pez Espada at no extra cost, but let me warn Riviera clients do not accept the Pez Espada as a replacement it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2012

Hotels near MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada

Stayed at MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada

• george2311 by george2311

"Take it as you see it "

• Davy by Davy

"Expect to compromise. "

• welsh gran by welsh gran

"Learn to speak another language "

• Helen by Helen

"Excellent hotel - do not touch the tele! "

MedPlaya Hotel Pez Espada is also called