Rated 4 Star ???

Reviewed Thu 4th of September 2014

"My wife and I have just spent four nights at this Hotel. The only good thing about the hotel is the close proximity to the beach.Generally the hotel is clean.
On the negative side it is not possible to park anywhere near the hotel to unload your cases, the entrance of the hotel is down a very steep slope and unless you have a 4x4 with good ground clearance I would not risk going down to the hotel entrance in a normal car.The entrance is on a very narrow one way street so impossible to stop outside and unload cases.The hotel has parking but at an extortionate price €13 per day,(public car parks €10 or less a day) if you want to use this facility it is not possible to book in advance.
The rooms in the hotel are basic and extremely hot as the air conditioning was not functioning correctly the rooms but are clean.
We booked half board which I now regret the buffet style meals were far from average and would not recommend.The air conditioning in the restaurant was not functioning correctly very uncomfortable and clammy conditions.
One evening the hotel decided to have a Mexican food evening meal, it was describable not fit for human consumption, so extra unplanned expense of eating out.
The pool area which is very small has no sun loungers not that you would want to use them as the very small pool is permanently in the shade also the area outside the bar close to pool was frequented by chain smoking geriatrics,to get to the back gate of the hotel you had to pass this smoking area.
We have lived in Spain for almost six years and stayed in various hotels so we know what standards to expect regarding food, evening entertainment which was a poor joke in this hotel.
This hotel falls well below the standards of 4 Star rating, we have stayed in 3 star which were far better than Roc Lago Rojo. I think the rating falls well below 3 Star.We feel very cheated as the hotel is not particularly cheap.
May this review save other people from wasting hard earned money.
I hope that tourist coming to Spain will read this review and avoid this hotel and sorry for those already booked.

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2014

Well not to my liking

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I took a short break to the Costa del Sol, after a few people telling me it was nice. I chose the Hotel Roc Lago Rojo as it really did look a nice place to stay.
When I arrived I realised the the hotel was occupied by a lot of spannish pensioners! Bearing in mind at the time I was 24. So maybe not the best place for youths.
The hotel lobby and corridors to rooms were very clean, I think updating is in progress as the smell of varnish and paint was quite over-whelming for the whole 4 nt stay.
My room was basic but adaquate, with a 2 level layout, the bedroom on top and the a few steps to the lower lounge level, this part was in a state of needing repaired, the stair handle was falling off, the balcony doors didn't fit properly and so when a lorry or bus went past it made a draught. The noise of outside was at times very bad. The bathroom was "creepy" it was poorly lit and when showering you were in a dark corner. It was like an old run down hospital toilet. But it did the purpose.
The location of the hotel was fair, I'd have to dispute it being 50m from the beach, it was at least double that. The beach and beach prom is to the rear of the hotel, to the front is a thin and quite steady road, with the hotel set down a hill from the road, maybe an issue with those who can not walk up steep hills.
The Hotel offers a Half board basis, I was on this but found the food choice to be very poor and often the food was not that hot anyway. The dining room felt very dated and when I went i just ate and got out, it was mainly populated with the older generation who were staying in the hotel and for a 24yr old i felt a bit like i was eating in an old folks home.
The staff were helpful, but their english was poor and getting my point accross and the information i required did take a while.
If you wanted to use the hotel as a "base" then it is ok, with bus links to other resorts just about 400m up a steep will.

Overall the Hotel is fair, maybe just a little dated in parts, although from what i saw on my floor this is being addressed.
Best maybe if there is a group of you, not for young people though. It maybe cheap but you are getting what you pay for."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of February 2007

Great location in traditional village area

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Hotel was in a great location, stone throw away from the beach and lovely promenade. We were on HB and food served was of a good variety, nicely presented and service in the restuarant was very efficient. Hospitality of all the staff was great always greeting everyone asking if you were okay. Prices of drinks reasonable; 2 euro for bottle San Miguel, lunches served around the bar 3 to 4 euros. Even though the pool and sunbathing area was limited, this didn't detract from having a fabulous holiday.
Bedrooms were nicely furnished and exceptionally on the large side with a lounge area; these were like suites.
Entertainment - typical spanish shows. But, hotel close to many bars with other entertainment and great walks along the sea front. Torremolinos takes around 15 mins walk and marina was about 40 minutes.
Would definately stay here again, best location along the coast Torremolinos and Benalmadena.
Travel Agent for Hays Travel"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of July 2006

3rd visit to this hotel. Arrived late, 1...

Reviewed Wed 17th of May 2006

"3rd visit to this hotel. Arrived late, 10:30 p.m. after dinner had been served, were ushered into dining room, where a table was laid with plates of cold meats, cheese, bread and juice, very welcome.

Rooms clean, with a separate living area with T.V. would have liked more English channels other than CNN.

Good choice at mealtimes even for vegetarians like us. Food hot, the chef was in and out of the kitchen to check on replenishment.

The 2 male reception staff would benefit from a course in customer service and smiling, although perhaps their attitude is typical of Spanish males throughout the country. (Taxi drivers excluded, they were always helpful and courteous). Did not use the pool, although it appeared to be clean.

The manageress seemed to be permanently on duty, and displayed a professional attitude with a real concern that guests enjoy a pleasant and trouble free stay.

Location is just minutes away from the sea front, bars and shops. And a 5 euro taxi drive from the main shopping centre.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of May 2006

No problems

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"This is the 3rd time we have stayed in this hotel and as usual encountered no problems. Arrived late after dinner had been served, about 10:30 p.m., we were invited in to the dining room where plates of cold meats, cheese, bread and juice had been laid out for us, unexpected and very welcoming. The rooms were clean with a separate living area and T.V., would have liked more English channels. Food choice good at breakfast and dinner, although the vegetarian choice had been removed since our last visit, still enough to eat though. The 2 male reception staff could do with staff training in customer service, although their attitude could be said to be typical of Spanish men throughout the country.(Taxi drivers excluded, they were always courteous and helpful.) Lots of Germans staying when we were there, they did seem to get better treatment from the staff, (perhaps they tip better?) but overall we were pleased with our stay and would reccomend the hotel highly. Word of advice, do not book trips through the hotel, instead pick up the free English paper in the hotel foyer and book through them, this will ensure you do not have to listen to 4 or 5 different languages on the tours. Overall a very clean, friendly hotel, where the manageress seems to be on duty at all times and displays a very professional attitude coupled with a genuine concern that guests enjoy a comforable and pleasant stay."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of May 2006

Just arrived back 25/3/2006 from this ho...

Reviewed Mon 27th of March 2006

"Just arrived back 25/3/2006 from this hotel. We were supposed to be staying at the Roc Flamingo. But it was fully booked, so we were sent here, what a nightmare, building work going on as this hotel is being refurbished and won’t be finished until June.

We had 3 different rooms on our weeks stay, 1st one was noisy and the sink in the bathroom was blocked. 2nd room was worse it had a huge hole in the wall covered by a white sheet stapled to the wall and was really cold, complained again and got another room for our last three days.

Pool was filthy dirty and there was only 17 sun beds, can’t sit on balcony for the noise, food was always just warm."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

loved the bars

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"this hotel is being refurbished ,and wont be finished until june ,stayed here for 1week and that was enough ,our original hotel the roc flamingo was fully booked ,work being carried out on both the inside and outside of hotel,we had 3different rooms on our 7nte stay due to noise ,blocked sink ,hole in the wallcovered by a white sheet,and stapled to the wall,pool was filthy dirty,and hadnt been cleaned ,only 17 sun beds for the whole of the hotel,on a small green area ,food in the hotel was always just warm,although the staff in the dining room were always pleasant,probably the only good thing about it,also could not sit on balcony because of the noise going on ,(8.30.6.00)every day for 7nts"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

Good value , a bargain break

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a week in the Hotel Roc in Torremolinos. A huge buffet choice . Rooms clean and comfortable . Only criticism -for those going on early excursions could the cold buffet breakfast be put on earlier than 8am. The hotel was great value for money and we had glorious weather . Rosalind Gordon Oban Scotland"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of March 2006

Nothing to Complain About

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"Having read the reviews of the lago rojo I wondered
what we would find on arrival. I know the area very well and my opinion is the hotel is situated in one of the best areas of Torremolinos with easy walking to Benalmadena. It was our first visit to the Hotel, and we would certainly return. Yes, there are alterations going on but they did not stop our enjoyment. Although our room was rather basic it was clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and
welcoming. The food was varied, and apart from the
odd dish enjoyable. For a hotel in this price range we have no complaints."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006

Good Locoation poor food!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Major refurbishment on our floor. White dust evreywhere, Floors coat hangers etc. Bed linen and towels changed each day. Food--Barely warm very greasy not fit to eat, after first evening meal we ate out. Breakfast slightly better. Best thing about this hotel is location. Very close to promanade and beach."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of January 2006

Good Location

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"After reading the other 2 reviews, I really wasn't sure what to expect from this Hotel. The food was generally fairly good normally with plenty of choice however as is normally the case with buffet food it wasn't hot - but warm enough to enjoy. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was average and looking worn around the edges but was relatively clean and large enough. The best aspect of this hotel was definitely the location, really close to the beach, bars & restaurants, but not noisy (it was out of season). Overall very good value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of November 2005

Give it a miss

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"just came back from a short stay in torremolinos 14th November 2005, stayed at the roc lago hotel, well what can I say.... our first night we tried the resturant which was a buffet, I had salad as that is all that looked safe to eat, my son had chips which were disgusting and my husband also had salad, there was no drinks avaliable in the resturant so you had to ask a waiter for them which he didnt seem to happy by the prospect of being disturbed, but hey who wants to eat a meal with no drink, the bread looked pretty fresh but no butter to go with it, it was an experience to say the least, hence when we went out I had to feed my family again. The next morning we thought we would try breakfast even worse, we had a couple of cups of tea which you could help yourself to but just looking at the food we didnt even eat and went out for breakfast, after that we didnt even enter the dining room for the duration of our stay. The rooms are very basic, it said satelite tv, ok if your spanish as all we got was 3 spanish channels, which my son and husband were not amused about. Every morning we were woken by building works going on in the building which we were not informed about, and a yapping dog, also our room smelled of kitchen fat etc.. so we guessed our room must of been over the kitchen, but believe me it wasnt nice, towels were nice and clean and the sheets were so that made it a bit more bearable. The hotel bar was always quite but the barman always had a smile, the only member of staff who did. Dont change any money in this hotel the rates were just a rip off, basically the hotel is awful, I cant comment on the pool as it was too cold to use."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of November 2005