ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

Paseo Maritimo 165 Torremolinos - Malaga, 29620 Torremolinos Spain

health farm???

"I have just returned after 4 days here, the food was uneatable and we survived on chips and bread rolls for the entire time! other guests that did eat ended up poorly!
The hotel itself and staff were excellent but if you had breakfast at 8 0 clock there was no other facilities for hot or cold drinks for the next 2 hours ! previous all-in have had 24hrs drinks!
the entertainment on a night was at 9.30 and lasted for approx 20 minutes, which wasnt worth waiting for anyway! the bar then stayed open till 12 on the dot after that there was no-where else to sit or get a drink!
The pool was not open for the whole 4 days while we were there,
i had read the reports and were mixed but on seeing it myself i must have lost lots of weight either through lack of food or being ill, if it hadnt been for the other parties that we met up with it would have been terrible as it resembled a nursing home with the average age of 80!"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of November 2007

What a nightmare

"Warning all British, this is not a hotel you would want to stay in. Rooms very basic, food not to be eaten. There was pork balls, chicken balls, veal balls, potato balls etc etc. The meat was undercooked very raw in the middle resulting in all the family (2 adults and 2 children)being very poorly. After that we only ever had chips. In the day there is bread, meat, cheese and cakes and thats it. Entertainment was disgusting in the ten days we were there. one night was parrot show and one night of bingo in six languages and one night of some kind of pretend flamingo dancing. They call this hotel all inclusive well the beer is like water, only very small plastic cups so one mouthful and its gone, so unless you have got ten hands you will spend all day getting up to get drinks. There is absolutely nothing for the children to do all day long, no balls or anything allowed in the pool. If you have got a late flight be prepared because you are not allowed to keep youre room on and they have no courtesy rooms so if you have got young children this as you can imagine is a bit of a nightmare. You must be crazy to stay here!

John Newcastle Staffs"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

4 Star price, 2 Star quality

"Living only 2 hours away from Torremolinos, I booked a weeks stay at the Costa Lago at the beginning of June 07, so we could relax at an all inclusive resort, without having to worry about spending money.

Although the hotel itself is not too bad - I couldnt fault its cleanliness, the attention of the staff or the pool, to advertise as a 4 star is very much misleading.

The all-inclusive option here is basically a full board option (breakfast, lunch, dinner) with free drinks available (coke, sprite etc, cruzcampo beer, truly awful house red and white wine and over-sweetened, watered down fruit "juice"). Having stayed at many all inclusive hotels around the world, it was disappointing that there were a bare minumum of activities available, ice creams between meal times or any type of substantial snacks.

Between meal snacks consisted of stale bread, cheese and something that may have once resembled ham.

Meals were at best average, and at worst inedible. I stopped taking breakfast after the first day.

Breakfast options: fried egg, scrambled egg (watered down to a puree), hot dog sausages. cold meats and bread.

lunch: fried fish (every day), a meat dish (watered down stew typically), chips, reheated frozen vegetables, chips, chips, chips, inedible pasta dishes (how anyone can make a pasta and sauce taste so bad i dont know) and a variety of salads - the salads saved the day. desert - sponge cake, ice cream, watered down mousses.

dinner: see lunch but add a roast meat option. On the 3 days of the 7 I stayed there the chicken was pink (once) and the roast pork was cooked medium rare (twice)

Although I didnt travel with kids, it was evident that there was nothing there for them to do - one pool table and one ping pong table was the extent of their leisure activities - which were both monopolised by bunches of drunk 20 something spaniards.

The evening entertainment was shambolic. A parrot show and a reptile show which both lasted no more than 15 minutes, followed by photo opportunities for 10 euros a picture - a blatant hard sell disguised as an evenings entertainment.

Torremolinos itself is a great base to explore the Costa Del Sol. Most people will know that you dont come to Torremolinos for its culture, and that the resort itself is tacky, brash and full of typical teenage british holiday makers. However, the local buses are reliable, plentiful and cheap and trips to rhonda, granada, mijas and gibraltar are a must.

Having said this, I would happily stay at the Costa Lago again if:

1) the price was reduced by around 50%
2) I needed a room for the night in Torremolinos
3) I stayed room only

However, I would definitely not stay here, nor recommend if I wanted:

1) A good all inclusive hotel
2) Nice food
3) Somewhere to take kids"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Great Hotel

"Hi me my husband and 11 month old daughter have just got back from staying at the Luca Costa Lago and we had a fantastic time. The staff are very welcoming and speak good english. The food was really nice and there was plenty to choose from. The rooms we thought where a good size and they where very clean.We would definately go back again."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

not for british

"Hotel not a four star as advertised. Hotel very clean Rooms have lounge area aswell as bedroom but basic. We arrived on sat night 28th April 2007 We had arranged transfer with agent but did not turn up for us. After trying to telephoned transfer company without any success and 1 hour at the airport we had to get a taxi to hotel. Luckily hotel only 3miles from airport we had to pay 20euros. we were offered a cold buffet on arrival as evening meal had finished. We were all inclusive
There is only one restaurant breakfast between 7.30am-10am lunch 1-3 and evening meal 6.30pm or 8pm meals basic and restaurant layout very unorganised eg, plates and cutlery not in serving area. alot of congestion. Meals were basic ;they did improve as week went on but repeated. One meal was small pieces of pork When I cut into it meat was rare in the middle !!!!. The drinks were self service too. in restaurant /pool area. There was snacks on a cold plate in pool bar with cheese,meats and cake between 12-6pm.
There was no daytime enterainment There is a ping pong table and pool table. Night entertainment not every night. and sometimes only 1/2hour shows eg parrot show/reptile show. Not many british guests staying at hotel More popular with German/Spanish guests
Would not return to this hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of May 2007

Fantastic staff

"Just got back from the Luca Costa Lago,which despite many bad comments on this site we found it excellent a 4* plus!!!! It is great for a relaxing break ( only saw one child ).The food is well above average and with plenty of fish and meat being cooked on the counter without a long queue.Lovely pool area and gardens and the whole of the hotel was spotless.No daytime activities but good live entertainment in the evenings.ALL the staff were extremely polite and helpful.The room had a seperate lounge area with sofa , bureau, T.V. and large sideboard.Not many English guests but everyone was friendly - Dutch, German, French and of course Spanish."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of March 2007

I paid a great price for a great hotel!

Good

"Two females of differing ages[me and my mum aged 60 and 37]stayed here at the beginning of january.At this time of year it is absolutely fantastic but i presume it would be a different story at the height of the season.
As the hotel was quite empty we had the pool area and terrace etc to ourselves,so plenty of spaces for seating.Our room was clean and a nice view on the third floor.Food lovely and so was the drink.
I have nothing to complain about,only praise!but like i said that is because we went out of season,i would not consider going at any other time,the pool and surrounding area would be too small for the size of the hotel.
Outside of the hotel quite a lot of amenities were closed but this was fine as we just wanted a cheap quiet break.Weather was very hot[bonus],beach lovely and clean but on the streets there was a lot of dog mess[disgusting].
If you are a smoker going at this time of year can be hard work,as it was too cold to sit outside and have a puff,there is a smoke room attatched to the bar/entertainment room but it is more like a works smoke room and everybody just talked about smoking!"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of January 2007

crash diet hotel

"well where do i start is that what they call all in clusive well'. the reception staff was very good on arrival.the food was terrible for an allinclusive the meals was cold what bit they had to offer any wayand snacks it consisterd of cheese ham and a roll and they was left out side in the bar where all wild birds was pecking at. the only bar that was open was outside until 6pm weather it was warm or cold remember its december not the hotest time of the year. i can honestly say i would never stay there a GAIN .the hotel in its self was clean alittle dated but sleepable i payed to go superior and the standard rooms was just as good as i asked to have a look ."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of December 2006

Not a 4 star Hotel

"We only stayed here by misfortune as the Hotel Riu Playa where we originally booked bumped a party of 36 of us to Coata Lago (their sister Hotel ) at very short notice and no amount of protest would help.

Most of us were given BASEMENT rooms and we spent all week protesting at the treatment we had been given until SOME of us were moved to better rooms,. There was apparently another large party who were also 'moved' without their consent

Reception staff at Costa Lago were also unhelpful and the food was like a canteen with very little choice for evening meals and reminded us of school dinners.

One tip is to INSIST on good quality rooms at Costa Lago ( the suites on floors 3 and 4 are very good) and also make sure you are ungraded to all inclusive

In fairness the pool area is very good ( except the swimming pool is unheated) but there is a VERY limited buffet in the pool bar.

If you use the Internet , the connection is very cheap (1 Euro for 12 minites or 2 Euros for 33 minutes) with a good Broadband Connection

The Hotel Shop surprisingly has some decent goods at fair prices and the Lady in the Shop is very helpful

Overall this is not a 4 star Hotel"

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

Very disappointed with the food

"Stayed A/I for 8 days and that was enough. The food was the same every day. Pork, pork and more pork. Travelled with my wife and three young children. The rooms were adequate but kept clean. The pool is very small for the size of the hotel. I only went in once as there were young children who were "dive bombing" and it was very dangerous. You are about a 5 minute walk from the beach. The centre of the town is a car drive away. Parking is horrendous as the hotel only have about 15 carparking spots so it is a case of driving round the one-way system trying to find some where to park. People even park on the roundabouts. Visited the Aquapark which the children thoroughly enjoyed. Get there early then you can sit on the grass under the shade then you will not have to pay for a lounger/shade. As soon you get there go and hire a rubber ring as they go very quickly. If you do not get one it will mean queuing at the rides to get a ring and then queuing again for the actual ride,"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

Worth the money

Good

"After reading reviews on this site about this particular hotel some good advise was given, now I have landed back home I thought I would write my own review.

Landing at Malaga airport my boyfriend and I got a taxi to the hotel which cost 15 euro which is alot cheaper than paying transfers so if you don't want to be stuck on a coach then I suggest a taxi.

Arriving at Hotel Costa Lago we were greeted by the receptionist staff who gave us our room key and safe key (which was a deposit of 10 euro). As we went All Inclusive we had to wear a band throughout the stay which wasn't a problem.

Room: We were on the first floor of the hotel and this is definatley in the 4 star rating. The room was spacious, enterering the room there was a lounge area with a sofa and TV and the bedroom was big too. A lot of draws and wardrobes to put your clothes in. The view from the balcony was excellent, overlooking the pool area which was lovely. The room was very very clean but if you like your pillows high I would suggest asking for another one as there was only one for each person.

Pool Area: The pool area was very spacious, there were plenty of sunbeds so you never had to run down to save any. The pool was very large and suitable for children with a constant lifeguard on watch.

Food and Drink: The food and drink where not 100%, breakfast was not very appealing with not much choice, and 9 times out of 10 it was always cold which was annoying. Lunch was ok for choice at the beginning of the holiday yet after the 5th day it was gettting tedious, it was the same food every single day and evening meal was the same.

You can only have so much pasta and rice. Also, food was not labeled so you didn't know what certain things where so if you do have an allergy to certain foods then this could be tricky. Drinks were available at all times yet the alcoholic drinks where awful. I know that you are in a different country and things taste different but this was beyond a joke. You had a choice of cocktails (which tasted awful) and spirits (which where bearable) the only things that tasted nice where the soft drinks, apart from the non-alcoholic cocktails which tasted worse then the alcoholic ones. I would give the food and drink a 2/3 star rating.

Location: The location of this hotel was ok, it is a 2 minute walk from the beach and a 10 minute walk from the train station. The beach is lovely and clean, and plenty of sunloungers which cost around 3 - 4 euro each to hire. The train station is ideal if you want to go out for the day. It cost 1 euro and 20 to get to Malaga centre which was lovely with plenty of shops yet is very very busy. They do have an open top tour bus but was 15 euro each to go on!!! If you are looking for something for both you and the kids to enjoy then aqua land water park is ideal, it costs 6 euro in a taxi from the hotel and is a great day out. A bit on the pricey side of 18 euro each (for adults) but the rides are good. There are 8 in total with a wave machine.

The entertaninment / nightlife: The entertainment in the hotel was not very good, a parot show, a keyboard player and flamenco dancers was all that was offered and sundays was a day off so nothing was on in the bar not even music. Depending on what sort of holiday you want I feel the this hotel was more ideal for older people and possibly for other languages. There were a lot of German and French people and only 30 English in the hotel so it was difficult to have a conversation with anyone. Outside the Hotel there where a few restaurants and bars but where very quiet and would appeal to holiday makers looking for a relaxing quiet holiday. My boyfriend and I went to 24 hour square in Benalmadena on a night out which cost 12 euro in a taxi. This place is excellent for people wanting to have a good night out, this may not be ideal for families as it was more for clubbers.

Suggestions: If you do go to this hotel it is very quiet so if you want to venture out of the area Torremolinos centre is a bus drive / taxi away which holds markets every week and has other shops to look at. Also if you want to go on a jet ski the nearest one is an hours walk, which seems far but is a nice walk along the beach and you get to see the tourist area of Torremolinos which has gift shops and restaurants.

Overall I think that the Hotels cleanliness was to a high standard, the food and drink could of been better and the location is ok for people looking for a quiet holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of June 2006

Ok but been to better

"Just returned from a week A/I, Five Adults and Three Children, To be fair the hotel is very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful, The rooms are average could of been a bit bigger, The pool area is nice, but the dissapointment for us was the food, Not a great choice at all compared to other A/I we have been to, The snack bar consisted of bread buns,jam, cheese and cake, no crisps for the Children or even worse Ice-Cream, you could only get it at meal times so through out the day if your Children wanted Ice-Cream you had to pay for it, Been to the resort before and the Beach Club was a better Hotel More going on for the Children and Adults, also better Entertainment, If you really want to have a great holiday try the Concorde El Salam Hotel in Sharm El Shiekh, one word for it FANTASTIC"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

• DM by DM

"Reduce transfer costs, get the train from Malaga to La Colina "

• Janet C by Janet C

"Get to know other holiday makers as the staff make happiness catching "

• maxgreg by maxgreg

"Extremely large resort with tons of shops bars and restaurants. Beach runs for miles. "

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol is also called