Good

Basically ok base - budget option

Reviewed 17th November 2009

"I would say the best thing about these apartments is the price and the location. They are a short walk from the centre, in a nicer location than the centre itself, in my opinion, and very near to the beach, Torrecilla. The beach is nice, with lovely views of the mountains, and pleasant beach side cafes. They are fairly typical basic holiday apartments. We got a room including a kitchenette, two single beds, fridge, microwave, shower, toilet, two hob rings (no oven or bath). Also an ironing board and iron, but no clothes horse. There is a TV with one english channel, CNN the news channel. However there is also a TV room which has SKY, I saw people watching eastenders. Internet access costs 2 euros for an hour there. The rooms do seem to vary a bit in terms of size, size of balcony, view, etc. We unfortunately seemed to get one of the worse ones, overlooking a carpark, small, with small balcony. If you are able to pay a bit more for a bigger room with a better view, then I would advise it, but I don't know if that's possible or if there are differences in price. Other rooms overlook the courtyard which is quite nice, shady, with plants and a small pool (pool very small and only suitable for dips, not swims). An issue for me was the fact the fridge was by the beds (with the microwave on top of it). Apart from not being very nice to look at, it burst into noise periodically throughout the night, which woke me sometimes and was quite irritating on occasion. The apartments benefit from 24 hour reception, I understand, reception staff were helpful and courteous. They felt safe and secure. Additionally, if you have a later flight on your last day, you can leave your luggage there, and there is a courtesy room where you can have a shower, if you want to go the beach (ask for the key at reception). Another issue is you get 2 single beds for a couple, which is common, but you can't really push them together as the headboards are nailed to the wall and seem to prevent it. Additionally the walls are thin to the extent we could hear our next door neighbours chatting, coughing and going to the loo (we could almost hear their words). The apartments were very quiet apart from this. The room was smallish (not tiny), and a bit faded and dated, with wonky table and the odd wonky fittings. However it is an OK base, and quite clean, serving basic needs. I think as they are so cheap you probably get what you pay for. However if you are looking for more comfort and a more attractive place to relax I would recommend shopping around and paying a bit extra if you are able to afford it."

• Travel date: 14th November 2009

value for money

Reviewed 11th June 2009

"Went for 1 week with my daughter.The apartment we were given was fine plenty of room and a balcony to sit on. The kichen was fine for what we wanted not to cook but good for breakfast and snacks a good working fridge to keep things chilled.Sofa and TV. Beds were fine and linen change mid week,Bathroom basic but clean. Good working shower exc. Was completly self catering i bought a few cleaning items from the shop did not worry me in the least.Used the courtesy showers on last day. Had some lovely days on the beach and lovely meals out paella fish exc.Enjoyed the town and would stay there again if i went to Nerja Was not worried about the pool never use them even in 5 Star"

• Travel date: 10th June 2009

Dont believe all the other reviews

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Please dont believe the other reviews - we stayed here for a week and oh my god what a nightmare - never got room cleaned once , when I asked about this I was told it is a self catering apartment - eh have always booked self catering and have always had rooms cleaned at least once during a week's holiday. Only got clean towels once during the week - cutlery and crockery were in very short suppy - we ended up going out and buying plastic cups to drink out of - pool was just a laugh and the roof top terrace was never cleaned either. Even had to buy our own toilet roll - eh if I wanted to clean I would have stayed at home. Will go back to Nerja as this place is brilliant - laid back and stop - so chilled out it was amazing but will never,never go back to these apartments again - room was so small my husband and friends who were with us asked if I had booked Hobbit accomodation on purpose."

• Travel date: 15th May 2008

Clean but basic

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"I stayed here last weekend with 2 girlfriends and the appartment although basic was very clean and suited our requirements, ie somewhere to sleep! The location is great only 2 mins from the beach and a shop downstairs. The main centre of Nerja is about a 10 minute walk away. I wouldnt stay here for longer than a couple of nights as it is basic, but all in all great value for money. The one downside was that the bedroom window overlooked the outdoor stairs so you needed to close the curtains when dressing making the room very dark!"

• Travel date: 5th May 2008

Great value, close to Beach

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"I stayed at the Apartamentos Mediterraneo for two nights in March 2008. These are efficiency apartments, with small kitchenettes, located just one block from the ocean beach in Nerja, and about 25 km from Malaga. Nerja has a large English-speaking expatriate community living there full-time, mainly retirees from the UK, and some Dutch and German retirees who speak English. However, you still need to speak some Spanish -- not all the businesses in Nerja speak English or speak it well. The apartments are very reasonably priced. An elevator services the hotel, it has a nice private swimming pool, there is a little restaurant on the ground floor, and internet is provided by buying time on a computer on the ground floor using coins (sort of like coin-operated internet access; the more coins you feed in, the more time you have internet access for). The rooms all have balconies, although some are more scenic than others (mine had a great view) and sliding glass doors. The rooms have little TVs with CNN International channel in English. There is a microwave, popup toaster, little under the counter fridge, coffee pot. The apartments have things like dishes and utensils, but does not provide paper towels, sponges or dishwashing soap, strangely enough. There is plenty of legal onstreet parking. Nerja and Malaga are one of the few places in Spain where I didn't mind driving, actually. The pedestrian areas of downtown Nerja are just a 10-minute walk away, and the beach is 2 or 3 minute walk away. I felt completely safe in and around this area (I was travelling alone). I would gladly stay here again if I return to Nerja, and would stay for longer than 2 days next time."

• Travel date: 17th March 2008

new year on balcon great

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"spent new year at apartments,do not believe all photos these borrowed from other hotels.no heating in rooms,only 2 english speaking tv channels not good when raining.resturaunt not very inviting.all in all a rating of 4 out of 10 is flattering.finally NERJA is becoming the dog poo capital of spain. Keith Blount Nottingham England"

• Travel date: 8th January 2008

Clean, great location-highly reccommended

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"The apartment was clean, with a microwave, fridge and all the utensils needed. it's great value for money and spacious enough for two people to be very comfortable. It's located a 3 minute walk from Torecilla beach. The staff were very friendly and reception is staffed for 24 hours which is handy for late arrivals and departures."

• Travel date: 29th October 2007

Great Value For Money

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We booked two rooms at this hotel for a three-week stay in March. I was very nervous to book this hotel because I was booking for not only my husband and I who usually travel on a budget, but also for my in-laws who are Spanish and like finer places. Personally I was delighted and I think it met everyone's needs. However, if you are used to staying at place like The Plaza or The Fairmonts this place does not compare - but there are none that really would in this small town, if that is what you are looking for, try staying in Malaga and take a day trip to Nerja. This hotel is a cute, old european hotel. The beds are tiny and the furniture and kitchen fixtures show their age. I thought it looked dusty in the kitchen and I tried to clean it with a damp cloth, but it was clean, again, it was the age that showed. The floors are all ceramic and they glistened when we got there but the staff only clean the rooms every three days - again that was fine with us, but it is better to know to expect it. The staff are great and the location is amazing!!! Anyone can get to the town center or to the beach, it is easy, direct, and close by - this is a tiny town. The meals are typical of Spain (3-courses for about 8-11 Euros.) Make sure you go to the Nerja caves and take the trip to Frigiliana, it is worth the short 5km drive. You can also take a local bus to Malaga for I believe it was 15 Euros - great place to shop. We took side tours to Cordoba, Seville, and Granada. You can book these (approx 60 Euros each) with the hotel staff. If you only want to choose only one, I suggest Seville."

• Travel date: 24th October 2007

While the place was clean and the staff ...

Reviewed 27th July 2007

"While the place was clean and the staff polite we were very disappointed with the room. We had one large window which overlooked the staircase so we had the delight of other holiday makers seeing us naked or shutting the curtains and being plunged into darkness. The maids came infrequently and the pool was so small that it was impossible to swim in. The tiny pool was surrounded by very scruffy astro turf so there was nowhere to do that all important lounging by the pool. We did ask to be moved on several occasions but sadly nowhere to put us. If you're thinking of going to these apartments avoid room 109"

• Travel date: 27th July 2007

Good Value!

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We stayed at the Mediterraneo Apartments in July 05 and didn't really know what to expect (I never think photos do anywhere justice). We had the most amazing deal ever to stay for 7 days for alittle over £100 for both of us. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. The owners were very welcoming and the checking in done in no time. The apartment was basic yes, but very clean and a little kitchenette with all you needed to russle up a sarnie and a cup of tea! We had a balconey (which we hadn't bargained for) which we used every morning to have our breakie. The Hotel also offered a set 3 course evening meal which was very good and extremely cheap! Good lunches, full english and cold beers made for a very pleasant stay. I have to respond to the other reviewers who say that the beach is a least 5 minutes away, i suppose they must have been refering to the beach in Malaga! Honestly, if you come out of the hotel, cross the road and walk straight down the little road opposite, there it is! If you crawled on your hands and knees or pidgeon stepped it, its no more than 2 mins! Overall, like most things in life, you get what you pay for, i can however, say that this was better than value for money and would highly recommend Nerja as a lovely place to visit and if you want to spend more of your hard earned cash on anything other than your bed at night then we would recommend the Mediterraneo every time! Have Fun all, where ever you choose to go."

• Travel date: 21st January 2007

Very basic apartments

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We've just got back from Nerja (family of six consisting of 4 adults& two 15yr olds). We did find the apartments very basic, but clean (on average room cleaned every other day )which did not really bother us too much us as a base,what actually did bother us was the plunge pool,we didn't realize that we would miss having a full size pool to sit around occasionnaly on our holiday. Luckily it was only a 2min walk to a lovely but busy beach. Take umbrellas or buy them there, you will need them. We were warned by a english couple that they had spent the day at the police station because there room had been broken into and mobiles and cameras had been stolen,so we kept everything in the safe. Plenty of restaurants to choose from,we found the best were closer to the appartments and cheaper.We took a bus to the aqua park cost 9 euros,but we did find it an expensive day out. Caves are good but catch a bus because we walked (in the heat) and it took us over an hour. They had a fair in Torre de Mar which we went to,well worth it but only there in the month of July. The one thing we definately reccommend that should not be missed is quad biking in the nature reserve. It was such a great afternoon,we drunk water from the fresh water springs from the mountains. You can get a brochure from the hotel reception,you will really enjoy the company of Enrique the quad bike owner. Would we go back? yes probably to Nerja but not to the apartments.( we do like a pool)."

• Travel date: 12th August 2006

Near to pretty Old town of Nerja, handy for bars - Irish Annies' nearby

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"Just got back today from Nerja, having stayed the week in the Mediterraneo Apartments (easy to confuse in online searches with similar named properties in other nearby locations) so this review is nothing if not fresh! Paid less than Pounds Sterling£83 for a week through (--) for a self-catering apartment – this seemed both excellent value and pretty cheap to us, I cannot tell what period the earlier reviewer had there, probably one night. We did find it an excellent base for a weeks’ stay, but then we were looking for a relaxing, laid-back holiday. We must have found a shorter route as the beach only took us 2 minutes or so, ambling at that. We also found around at least 15-20 bars and eating establishments within 5 minutes walk or less, some excellent, perhaps that is the advantage of staying for more than one day. The restaurant at the beach nearest the Mediterraneo Apartments is well worth the visit – fresh fish and a huge pan of paella cooked and served alfresco tempts you as you sit on the beach. There were not many staying in these apartments the week we stayed so we did not find the interesting lift and corridor noises too intrusive, I have certainly experienced much worse – aren’t all Spanish Hotels like this then? I agree with the earlier comments about the pool but if your kitchen surfaces are in your bedroom aren’t you bound to get white formica there? I was glad of the surfaces with the mess I usually make. The Old town of Nerja, and the central balcon are about 5-8 mins walk away and provide a great deal of the usual tourist attractions, and very pretty too. We are fiftysomethings, had no kids with us and are able-bodied, if your party is otherwise you may wish to research the suitability of Nerja a little deeper. There are plenty of steep gradients and steps for the less nimble, also the attractions for the under (40’s?) were somewhat limited. An excellent place for avoiding noisy families and packs of gormless youths though – grey power has already arrived in Nerja! Don’t tell the fairly large resident population of ex-pats though, I can stand the negative feedbacks on here but I may wish to go there again! Eating and drinking seemed to be the main activity whilst we were there (First week of May 2006) and that was fine by us – and plenty of establishments to help you in this quest. We would have no problem staying in Nerja and this property again. We would consider paying considerably more to do so."

• Travel date: 6th May 2006

Hotels near Mediterraneo Apartments

Top traveller tips for Mediterraneo Apartments

• by jom98

"Frigiliana - lovely village, Nerja caves - must see, Almuencar - great for a day out, Malaga too!"

• "Torrecilla Playa Restaurant we liked the best but many were good"

Mediterraneo Apartments is also called