Hotel Villa Flamenca

Calle Andalucia 1, 29780 Nerja Spain

Unwelcoming reception

Reviewed 5 months ago

"I’d like to start my review of this hotel by pointing out I did some extensive research on hotels in the costa del sol before eventually booking Hotel Flamenca for our family holiday. This was based on the numerous good reviews I had read on various rating sites.

My family and I arrived at the Hotel Flamenca in the early hours of Sunday the 3rd of June. It was roughly 3am. Our party included myself, my partner, our 8 month old baby daughter and my mum and dad. Our flight had been delayed a couple of hours, we’d been traveling since 3pm, so we were very tired and we were looking forward checking in quickly, and getting some rest.

On entering the hotel my first impressions were good. A welcoming reception area that was spotlessly clean. Airy modern, and decorated to a fairly high standard. Unfortunately that’s where the good impressions came to an end.

We were ‘greeted’ on reception by Paco. Paco is an elderly Spanish man that is quite possibly the most arrogant, ignorant, uninterested and unwelcoming man I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. To top off his list of fine attributes it was impossible to communicate with him as he doesn’t speak a single word of English. Not a word. As we approached the desk he managed to mumble for our passports. I handed them over to him, and with a grunt he handed over some forms for us to fill in. Tapping and grunting with a pen on which parts of the forms required our attention. After what felt like forever we got our room keys and off we went to our rooms. My mum and dad in room 513 me my partner and our baby room 216. On entering our room it was blatantly obvious that something was wrong. The room was very small and compact. Immaculately clean and tidy. But there was only one double bed. No cot for the baby. So, I immediately returned to reception. I tried my best to explain to Paco what the issue was. With a shrug of his shoulders he picked up a large pile of A4 files and began to very nonchalantly flick through page by page, liking his finger after ever turn. After about 15 minutes he found our booking. Once again tapping on the paper he grunted “cuatro, cuatro”. No, no I said, our party is for 5! Realising that there was something wrong off I went back to the room to get our booking reference. On retrieving this and returning to reception I handed it over to Paco. He again showed no interest was so ever, pointing to his file and in a raised voice shouted “cuatro, cuatro”. I’m sure you can imagine how frustrating this was. It was now 3:45am, we still hadn’t had any sleep. We were in a small room with a tiny baby. No cot. Our only option would be to have her sleep in bed with us with the risk of her rolling out of the bed onto the hard tiled floor. I returned to my room to explain to my partner that the hotel didn’t seem to care that we didn’t have anywhere for our baby to sleep. My partner told me she didn’t feel comfortable with our baby being in bed with us, and that I should try and call a manager. I returned to reception again with a pen and paper. I tried my best to explain to Paco that I needed to speak to a manger and asked if he could supply a number for me to call. At this he became very angry and started shouting “no possible, no possible”. At this point I was completely frustrated, and angry. I’d booked and paid for a room for the 3 of us, and the hotel I had such high expectation about was letting me down so badly. After 5 minutes of heated dialog, neither of us understanding a word of each other, Paco picked up the phone. I thought ‘at last’!! My partner had now joined me in reception and we waited to see the outcome of the phone call. After another 5 minutes of waiting out of the corner of my eye I noticed a police car pull up outside of the hotel. Out of the police car came FOUR very serious looking guardia civil. The vile cretinous Paco had only gone and called the police on me and my family. The police spoke to Paco in Spanish whilst looking me and my partner up and down in a very unpleasant manor. One of the officers then came over to us, and in a very abrupt way explained that we should return to reception at 8am to see if a more senior member of staff could help us. We tried to explain to the police that we were concerned for our baby. But they couldn’t have shown less interest. So, intimidated and slightly scared we returned to our room.

The following morning after little to no sleep I returned to reception. There still wasn’t a manager on duty but I managed to speak to someone that could understand our problem. He explained to me that the hotel was full, and the only possible solution would be to swap rooms with my parents, as their room was slightly bigger to accommodate a cot. Luckily my 73 year old parents weren’t aware of the ongoings the previous night, so off I went to explain to them that they were expected to re pack all their luggage, and move rooms due to the hotels incompetence. After wasting the full morning of our first day on holiday moving rooms, we eventually got the cot for our baby.

On the third day the assistant manager asked if she could have a word with us. She offered sincere apologies, and told us under no circumstances should the police have been called. She gave my parents the option of moving to a bigger room (a bigger room in a previous ‘fully booked hotel’). My parents declined due to the stress of already packing and unpacking twice. She then promised that she’d think of something to appease our ordeal. This never materialised, which is a shame because it makes the apology seem empty.

Other aspects of the hotel. Breakfast was ok, and just ok. Pool area resembles the set of the movie Cocoon. Pool is FREEZING even in June. The entertainment (if you can call it that) is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. 90% of the staff are friendly. Hotel spotlessly clean.

We also hired a car, the walk down to the beach is nice. Take your mountaineering gear for the return journey. My poor old mum had several rests on the way back up!

We were scheduled to stay for 10 nights. We left after 8. A large group of Irish people were booked into the rooms next to us. Their party started at 4am to 6am every morning. Waking us and our baby for 3 nights in a row. Complaining to reception didn’t seem to make a difference. Our baby wasn’t well and the lack of sleep was making her worse, so we cut out trip short and returned home.

I feel the Hotel Flamenca has great potential. The reviews were great, and I had such high expectations. Maybe we just had bad luck. But we couldn’t ever really enjoy ourselves, the first night left such a sour taste in our mouths. If you’re under 65 or have a young family then this hotel is definitely not for you."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of June 2018

Villa flamenco

Reviewed Thu 13th of June 2013

"We have just returned from a 2week stay at the hotel Flamenca. The rooms are small but adequate. The chamber maid we had did not make the beds she made them over. We had to request extra soap and shampoo which did get replenished unless requested. Otherwise the staff were very helpful and pleasant. I holidayed there 15 years ago and nothing appeared to have been changed since that time. The food is good. The live entertainment 4 times a week was great apart from keyboard player called Carlos. He had a great variety of musical toys which he played for himself---not for the customers who would have enjoyed some dance music. The best act of the fortnight was a husband and wife team called Gasoline -- their music and singing covered all ages and they had the place jumping. The Nerja club just 5 mins walk away had some good groups if you enjoy a dance or two. Overall we had a good stay at the Flamenca Hotel and it is well suited for the older generation. The hotel will be under new management later this year and there will be some changes. I suggest they start with Carlos."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of June 2013

Excellent Value for money

Reviewed Thu 8th of December 2011

"The Hotel Villa Flamenca is classified as a 3 star hotel and on ou opinion this is the correct grading.Located is an residential area of the resort some 5 minutes downhill walk from the beach and a 13 minute easy stroll to the centre. When reviewing this hotel you must remember what you pay and we thought it was incredibly good value.OK the rooms were a little small and the walls soundproofing left a bit to be desired but they were comfortable and clean.A television was in each room but no hair dryer although you could borrow one for a few hours on request. Otherwise we could not find much fault with this hotel. The food was well cooked and very tasty. The meals were buffet style.The staff were first rate both friendly and helpful. The service at reception was superb, There was a swimming pool which was more than adequate with free sunbeds. Live entertainment was provided 5 nights a weeks which was not scintillating but fine for hotel acts.The Flamenco show on Friday nights after the Gala Dinner was a real treat. The bar prices were very reasonable but we preferred to drink at Potters Bar nearly opposite which suited us better. Sure you could pay considerably more for better rooms elsewhere in Nerja but for us this would have been a waste of money we were quite happy staying here, tremendous value. Many repeat guests so that should say something about the popularity of this hotel. definitely more suitable for couples and in our view not ideal for families especially with the small rooms."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2011

going back

Reviewed Tue 13th of September 2011

"Had fantastic time,everything first class,food.rooms,entertainment very good,overall the best holiday we have had for many years,hence we are going back again
Mark and Eileen
Bedfordshire "

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2011

Most enjoyable

Reviewed Tue 28th of June 2011

"My wife and I stayed at the Villa Flamenca earlier this month (June 2011)for 1 week and yesterday booked another 2 weeks at the end of August as we enjoyed it so much. The staff were very friendly; the food for breakfast and evening meal was basic but was very, very good. The bar was overpriced for soft drinks but fairly standard for alchohol. The pool area was relatively quiet as it is portayed as a couples only hotel which suited us fine. all in all I would recommend it to any couple wanting a quiet relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2011

Beautiful hotel, clean & friendly, wonderful stay here at Villa Flamenca

Reviewed Thu 26th of August 2010

"Lovely Hotel, Food was excellent quality, much improved on lasts years. Aircon in all rooms & Reception 24/7. Rooms cleaned & fresh towels daily. Entertainment was good too! Plenty of sunbeds for all, Ideal for Young & old, we had 3 teenagers with us & they had the time of there lifes. I would go back tomorrow! "

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of August 2010

relaxing friendly hotel but food is awful

Reviewed Mon 21st of June 2010

"My husband and I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. The hotel is ideal for older couples. Rooms are basic but clean. There are major roadworks outside the front of the hotel, but the noise did not affect us as we had a room on the oppposite side overlooking the pool. The pebbly beach is approx a 6 minute walk away via a steep hill. Bar service was very good but the bar normally closed before midnight. We have enjoyed a very relaxing holiday but will not be returning to this hotel as the evening meal was dreadful. We have been going to Spain every year for the past 20 years and this has been, without doubt, the worst food we have had. "

• Travel date: Sun 20th of June 2010

There is much better out there . . .

Reviewed Mon 29th of June 2009

"Just stayed a week at the flamenca. Found the position of the hotel quite good, 10 mins from centre and just a small steep 5 - 10 min climb from Burriana beach. Room was on the "back end" of the hotel and we had no beautiful vistas, no tv and and quite a lot of noise from a pumping unit.
My main gripe about the hotel is the food, especially the breakfast. Powder scrambled eggs, reconstituded sausages, bacon like you`ve never seen before, watery orange juice and coffee with no coffee taste, anyway we had one breakfast all trip. Bogadillos and coffee at the local bar was great. . . .
Nerja is a great place with lots to do at all times of the day and night, unfortunatly because the hotel caters for the older generation the bar closes at midnight so no last baillys at the bar after your walk home. If your under 50 and enjoy a bit of independence book somewhere else."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of June 2009

Chill Out Holiday

Reviewed Tue 26th of May 2009

"My friend and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at Hotel Villa Flamenca in Nerja Costa del Sol and I felt I just had to write a few comments. We were looking for a chill out relaxed hotel nothing too posh, clean good food and a welcoming atmosphere. For a 3* this is exactly what we got. From day one we felt at home and the staff were friendly and helpful at all times. The hotel catered mainly for the over 50's but also catered for students studying at the Language School. They were well behaved and at times a breath of fresh air. Our room on the third floor (with balcony) was more than adequate and looked out onto the pool and nightly entertainment which usually consisted of live music and a weekly flamenco show. There was plenty of choice at meal times and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The hotel is situation not far from the main road but because it is quite hilly not really suitable for the less mobile. All in all I would certainly recommend this hotel and resort and feel it deserves its 3* rating. "

• Travel date: Mon 25th of May 2009

Just come back froma 6 day stay in the V...

Reviewed Mon 6th of October 2008

"Just come back froma 6 day stay in the Villa Flamenca - What a brilliant time I have had too! I staed in room 504 which was very good - cleaned every day! The staff were fantastic and have worked there for many years - I have visited nerja fo rthe last 13 yes and cant stand it when holiday makers seek british hotels!!!! Why go on holiday!! Villa Flamenca is fab and very spanish - Excellent music - Neil is a must see! I'm 22 and find it really awful to read some of the review in here- Neja is very much like marmite you either love it or hate it - VILLA FLAMENCA GETS 10/10 EVERY TIME!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 6th of October 2008

Me and my boyfriend have just came back...

Reviewed Mon 8th of September 2008

"Me and my boyfriend have just came back from a week in nerja, we stayed at the villa flamenca hotel and it was fantastic. We arrived quite late but there was some sandwiches and cold snacks that had been made for us if we were hungy which was great! We woke up the next morning to have the sun shining in! We went and met our holiday rep vicky she was great and helped us book our trip to gibraltar for the day. We went half board and enjoyed the breakfast selection and evening meals. The rooms were small but cosy and consisted of the basics ; Television.shower,Bath E.T.C.
The staff were great and very helpful also the maids did a fantastic job!

Overall i dont think i have anything bad to say about the hotel itself! But had a wonderfull stay and have already booked up for next year!!

P.S Try the kebab and chips in the hotel its LUSH! "

• Travel date: Mon 8th of September 2008

I stayed at villa flamenca with best fri...

Reviewed Sun 31st of August 2008

"I stayed at villa flamenca with best friend. It is a wonderfull place to visit. the walk up to the caves is steap but the views are spectacular as your walking.(take lots of water) There is steap hills everywhere and walking back up the hill to the hotel when your sunburnt from the beach is hell! lol
The hotel was nice and quaint. The food was okay but it was the same most nites and there wasnt reali a selection it did let the hotel down. The entertainment isnt verry good eitha and young kids will get bored. a walk in to nerja town is a must .. the balon de europa is stunning and theres nice restrants and bars in the square too."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

Hotels near Hotel Villa Flamenca

Stayed at Hotel Villa Flamenca? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Villa Flamenca

• Michael H by Michael H

"Make sure you arrive in the day to avoid unpleasant reception staff "

• beach lover by beach lover

"Nerja really nice but would choose another hotel next time. "

• ekethump by ekethump

"Very hilly in parts, so get your walking shoes on, a safe & beautiful place, cheap too! "

• happy happy by happy happy

"just chill out and enjoy everything "

• wilko131 by wilko131

"Ask for a room overlooking the pool to get the afternoon sunshine. Avoid rooms by the lift. "

• Geotat by Geotat

"Take a kettle with you if you enjoy a cuppa on your balcony. "

Hotel Villa Flamenca is also called