Piscina

great little hotel

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding in Nerja. Gentleman at reception was extremely helpful and very friendly. spotless hotel room.rooms were large and nicely decorated. excellent location.Would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2009

Great little find

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a week at the Puerta del Mar. We booked through Thomas Cook - Flexitrips and got a really great deal. The hotel is quite basic but well maintained and very clean. Our room looked into an internal atrium but there were superior rooms with french windows and very small balcony at a supplement. Breakfast is taken at the sister hotel - the Plaza Cavanna and you also have use of the facilities - rooftop pool and small indoor pool. I would always choose to stay here rather than the Plaza Cavanna - it's much cheaper and you still get all the facilities. Not a hotel for families - more for couples wanting a great location with basic accommodation. The hotel closes for the winter season from November and re-opens end of March."

• Travel date: 30th October 2008

Very Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"myself and four friends booked a 3 night stay in the purerta del mar and didnt realise it was a 2 star til after we`d booked so were a bit aprehensive. We were very pleasantly surprised! The hotel and rooms were extremley clean and well kept.The beds very comfy and there were 2 pillows each and air con which ive struggled to get in 3 star hotels.There was also a decent hairdryer! The lady who checked us in,Nancy, was from belgium and learnt English in Liverpool (which made for a very interesting accent!) was really friendly and helpful.The only gripe we had was the breakfast which you take at the sister hotel,the Plaza Cavana, just a few steps round the corner.It wasn`t very good at all and the restaurant is in the basement which was a bit drab and gloomy.We just had breakfast at one of the little cafes or at an english bar called Big Als which do a fab fry up! You could also use this hotels pool on the roof terrace which is small but very nice and only a few short steps to the bar!! The one thing that I was very happy about in Nerja is the prices in restaurants/bars and shops are very reasonable,for some reason I expected it to be a bit of a rip off for example a 1.5 litre bottle of water works out at about £1.20 and theres plenty of places in the UK that rip you off with this little essential! Also anyone travelling to Nerja really MUST try a restaurant called Pinnochios.I visited this restaurant last time I was in Nerja about 5 years ago and the food and service were still as good now as it was then and a 2 course meal with wine worked out at about £35 each and was well worth every penny.We paid about £244 each for flights with EasyJet and accomodation for 3 nights and I probably spent about £350 on food and drinks and I felt it was well worth it."

• Travel date: 18th September 2008

Excellent location...

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We (myself, mother and sister) booked a triple room at the Puerta Del Mar for 4 nights. The room was small but spotless and it was cleaned everyday.The towels were a little worn and small but again changed every day. The hotel has no pool but guests can use the pool next door at the Plaza Cavana...breakfast is also taken at the Cavana.The location is perfect, right off the main Balcon square. The church bells woke me every morning which wasn't necessarly a bad thing as the weather was glorious and we wanted to make the most of our short break in this lovely town. At E260 for 4 nights b&b the Puerta Del Mar is a good value choice."

• Travel date: 6th May 2008

Excellent place to stay

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"The hotel is very well-maintained. Everywhere I went was clean. The staff were very friendly and spoke good English. The room is very nice and clean as well. I also like their breakfast a lot. It is very close to the Balcon de Europe but we still have a very quiet stay. I will stay in this hotel if I go to Nerja again."

• Travel date: 6th October 2007

Very nice

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Fairly nice, very clean. The Air Coniditioner in our room was not functioning very well though. All in all, not a 5 star type place, but we were not looking for that. One of the best locations in Nerja, a good deal for the money and friendly people."

• Travel date: 12th July 2007

stayed several times here

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"When in Nerja always stay here-clean, friendly and very convenient for the town centre. Free use of the Cavana Hotel facilities. Limited parking at the back of the hotel. value for money."

• Travel date: 25th June 2007

Great value for money

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Stayed 3 nights here in September 2006. Had to phone the hotel directly to book, everyone spoke English so it wasn't a problem. Pretty good free breakfast at the hotel next door is included and if you have a Rick Steves Spain 2006 book you get 10% off! Excellent shared roof-top pool at the adjoining hotel as well. Rooms are good-enough and were clean."

• Travel date: 18th January 2007

Great value and Location

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I stayed here last year and was very happy. I booked several nights at the Cavana Hotel, which also belongs to them, but they couldnt offer rooms for a stay a week later, when I was returning from Granada, they offered me a good deal here instead. I liked it so much I ve just booked a further week with them in early October. The location as has been said is excellent. Down a pedestrian alley just by the side of the church, so it quiet. A plus over the Cavana which has some motorbike noise at night from the wrong rooms. Breakfast at the Cavana was thrown in but its not that great. The little pool is a bonus if you fancy a short sunbathe, rather than heading for the beach. They even gave me a discount for paying in cash, which might not be legal for the tax but I didnt complain."

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

Great little hotel in a great location

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Puerta del Mar for the first time in July 2006. Have to say that this is a great location being by the Balcon, especially for the money. Although the Balcon itself is buzzy and can be very busy at times, we found the hotel rooms to be quiet, even though we were there in high season. Rooms are simply furnished but are of a good size, modern, clean, light and airy. Comfortable beds, TV, hair dryer and plenty of hot water – all in all worth more than its 2 stars. You also get breakfast in the 3 star sister hotel Plaza Cavana about 50 metres away and can use the facilities there too – we used the roof terrace pool a few times which was great. We found staff at both hotels to be friendly and efficient. All in all a most enjoyable stay. We will be returning in September and I guess a return visit is as good a recommendation as you can get."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006