Good

It was ok, but not out of this world

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Puente Romano is an amazing classic hotel, when it comes down to location and fun (in the summer their beach club is one the best places to be).
Ok, for starters the rooms are not a 5 star category (they have extremely cheap looking furniture). Our shower had some weird problem and as my husband was taking a shower the whole room flooded (It went all the way to the bed).
The staff was unattentive until I got extremely angry and they decided to help us out after 3 hours of having water up to our ankles!!
They did not change our room, they brought a vacuum cleaner type of thing that sucked all of the water out (but the room remained damp).
If this experience would not have happened I would have given Puente Romano a 4.
The place is great if you want to have fun. Mind the showers though!!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of June 2006

5 star ??????

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"This hotel was an average hotel at 5* prices. The food was below standard, breakfast terrible, service ....not the best. I think they are riding along on the 'Marbella' reputation for catering to the rich and famous. We were charged 10 euros for a sunbed at the poolside which we thought was dreadful considering what you are paying to stay there. We certainly shall not be returning to either the hotel or the area."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of May 2006

Wonderful place - good value

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"I was a bit afraid after reading some reviews that I've would have made a mistake. We only needed some sun for 5 days and time did not allow us to go to south east Asia - the place we love going to the most. (Our favorite : The Datai in Langkawi.)

And ... I did not regret going to The Puente Romano. I would definitely not rate the hotel a 5-star Hotel for some of the following reasons :

- I've send an email before leaving to arrange for a transfer airport to Hotel ... send it twice , never received an answer. First class hotels with first class service always give you an answer, even if the answer is not always positive.
- The reception was good - moderate - but a welcome drink with a personal touch would have been even better.
- We only could check in at 3 o'clock - which is not such a big problem. But they already knew at the Beach Club what our room number was, so we thought that when we could go to our room at 3 o'clock we would have our luggage waiting. I had to call twice the reception, and then my husband finally went to the reception to see what was going on. The luggage was still waiting there to be taken care off ...
- the grounds are beautiful though not maintained perfectly.

You see, the small details that are so important, that make the Big difference is lacking. Breakfast is good, the buffet at lunch is very good. We went to have dinner outside where you have all kind of restaurants and nice places to shop in the evening. Visit Puerto Banus ! It is like St. Tropez !

Would I go back ? maybe. But be sure the visit the neighboring "Hotel Club Marbella" (same owner as the Puente Romano) - I think that this is the star missing. We went there on a rainy afternoon and those grounds are amazing and breathes Class with a Big C. (and it was raining !) Prices are amongst the highest but maybe we will try this resort the next time.

So Good, but needs a bit speeding up on service and attention to detail."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of April 2006

Great hotel

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Just been reading some reviews and I can't believe they're about the same place I've just returned from!

My husband, baby and I stayed there as part of a very large, organised group. It was our second stay at the the hotel and we loved it both times, having first stayed there in June 2003. We stayed in a superior room which was beautiful and tastefully furnished. The bathroom was great too and very cleverly designed so that you can close off the toilet and bidet from the rest of the bathroom. They also provided a proper cot for our baby. Storage was plentiful, which meant we could keep the room looking beautiful! The hotel is divided into many small, separate buildings, which gives it the feel of an Andalusian village. There are no lifts within these buildings, so if you can't be bothered carrying your buggy up and down, ask for a ground floor room.

We found the staff very helpful. The concierge arranged babysitters for us in the evening and although the rate was not cheap (12-15 euros an hour), they were very pleasant and trustworthy ladies.

The gardens are gorgeous and the three pools are great too, with the one by the beach being the most popular (it closes at 8pm).

I would definitely recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of April 2006

4 star quality at 5 star price

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Spent 4 nights in connection with a conference and was filled with high expectations as I was told it was a 5 star and member of Leading Hotels of the World but was somewhat disappointed. Conference room was very nice and with excellent technical equipment. The staff failed to re-supply with mineral water during the conference although we had asked them to do so during our 2 hour lunch break. In the end we had to call the hotel management in order to get some water.

I changed room after 2 nights and both rooms had an unpleasant smell of moisture/mold and I noticed that my clothes had caught this smell on my return home which meant I had to wash all the clothes even though some of them were not even used.

Towels were so washed out that they were torn in the edges - I would have expected nice, new and thick towels in a 5 star hotel.

Service at the Beach Club restaurant was awful - at evey breakfast my colleagues had to help themselves with coffee and tea when failing to get the attention of the waiters. At a 5 star hotel you should not even have to try and get their attention. Compliments to the breakfast omelette chef and also the bbq chefs at the lunch buffet!

The hotel has a good location between Marbella City centre and Puerto Banus. It has beautiful gardens and a nice architecture and the rooms are ok but a bit worn out. The luggage service at arrival is excellent but poor on departure. Reception check-in and check-out is very efficient.

I was hoping to have found an excellent hotel on Costa del Sol to spend on a private holiday but for that price I would have expected a lot more. It seems that the hotels in this area are overprised and only living on the memories of a glamorous past.

If you don't mind paying 5 star prices for a 4 star quality this hotel will do just fine."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of October 2005

OK but not value for money

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Just returned after family holiday. We did enjoy our break but the hotel is unfortunately now dated and the rooms of lower quality than I would expect in a 5 star hotel. However, I generally found the service satisfactory and friendly. The concierge was friendly and booked us meals at several good restaurants. Breakfast was of a reasonable standard although the cooked side was limited. The restaurants were otherwise good but expensive. The location is very good being midway between Marbella and Puerto Banus. The gardens are nice but the pool areas are quite congested and a little dated. The pool bar does (ridiculously) shut at 5pm which I have encountered before in other hotels - just about the time many of us fancy a drink! And between 4pm - 8pm, you can only get a snack menu! Not good if you missed lunch or have an 18 month old child who you are eating with!
All in all, an OK trip and, although a little disappointed, I would not let it spoil our break. However, this purports to be a gran lux hotel which it is not - NOT good value for money and NOT worthy of its memebership of Leading Hotels of the World!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of September 2005

Dont Go

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"Don’t Go

Spent 7 nights there, and on arrival their 2 star reception gave the game away
This hotel should not be rated as a five star, I reckon 3 star would be kind.
Room:
The rooms were out of date (early 1980s) the bathroom was on its last legs (mould on the silicone that has been put around the shower in a hastley repair).
The aircon just worked but just above temp limit you can sleep at.
Pool:
Pools are quite good, but forget any service; we spent 7 days waiting for a drink.
No life guards- in fact no one
At the bottom pool there was no bar, so we had to go up to the top pool to get ourselves a drink
The food there was total rubbish, now I don’t mind paying big money for good food, but we paid big money for below average food with mediocre service.
The pool bar shut down at 5 p.m. so if you go ” take a drink”.
The hotel is on the beech and we went down there to sunbathe, the sun beds that the hotel offer, are chargeable at a tune of 40 Euro!!!!!! To residents.

Summary
Old buildings that are out of date
Service – non existent
Price- a TOTAL TOTAL rip off
I do hope you read this before booking – you owe me one!"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

dated atmosphere, unhealthy food, overpriced

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Hotel Puente Romano is listed as one of the Leading Hotels of the World. Well, I have been to other hotels linked to the same group which were lightyears from the rip-off that Puente Romano is, and that LHW keeps this hotel on their list is a mystery to me. My advise to fellow travellers is simple. Don´t come here. The staff is unhelpful. We had to ring three times to remind the concierge that we were ready to have our luggage picked up after we had to change rooms bercause the first room smelled of moisture. The second room was filled with a smell of unhealthy greasy food from the snack bar, but the food in the main restaurant wasn´t much better. Never again"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

Delightful ambience, not matched by the service.

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"The Puente Romano is one of the leading hotels of the world. It is set in a prime position on the beach between Marbella and Puerto Banus. There are acres of lush exquisite tropical gardens and 3 swimming pools, one of them part of the "beach club".

The studios and 1 bed suites are distributed in 27 low rise buildings throughout the grounds. Some are privately owned while the majority belong to the hotel. The privately owned apartments enjoy the same privileges as the hotel guests. Hotel meals of course were to be paid for and room service was available to private rental suites as well as to the hotel's guests.

I and my two companions rented a privately owned 1 bed suite and a studio apartment, each with cooking facilities. The apartments were spacious [as hotel accommodation goes] and we rented through Tina's Rentals, paying a total rental of £1500 [we booked our flights separately] for one week, 14 to 21 May 2005.

Although it was close to 30 degrees in the daytime, the apartments were cold and damp when we arrived. The bed I slept in felt damp. The central heating had been switched off by the hotel on 1 May [until 1 October]. There were insufficient blankets and all 3 of us went to bed wearing our day clothes over our night clothes and piling any jackets etc we had on the beds.

It took us until Monday evening to get two heaters from Tina's Rentals. They finally brought extra blankets on the Tuesday [following repeated unfulfilled promises] and were reluctant even then to supply them "I don't see how you can be cold", I was told. I was also told [again by Tina's Rentals]: "I think you are being rather difficult". The apartment had clearly not been aired, received no direct sunlight, and Friday [my last night] was the first night I did not feel damp in bed, having used the heaters extensivelyand aired all the bedding on the terrace.

The hotel restaurants were fabulous and the prices reasonable for the quality and service. Roberto's on the beach is just exquisite with piano playing, singing and a sea view. The service is courteous if a bit slow.

In a leading hotel of the world I expect courtesy but the staff member at reception with whom I dealt was abrupt and impatient to the point of rudeness. He claimed to know nothing about certain matters and refused to write down something that I requested of him. I felt patronised but am not in a position to say whether I received this treatment because my apartment was privately rented as opposed to belonging to the hotel.

Sunbeds by the pool were free [despite a battle I was obliged to wage with one "pool minder" who sought, wrongly, to tell me that as a guest of a private rental suite, I would have to pay to use the beach pool sunbeds]. All hotel guests as well as ourselves were charged 9 euros per person per day for use of the hotel's sunbeds on the beach itself.

For sheer beauty and glamour and excellent food, Puente Romano is hard to beat. If you want friendly or courteous service, it seems pretty much luck of the draw. Tina's Rentals are private letting agents and thus the hotel was not responsible for their very upsetting behaviour [although the hotel refused to give me any details of the apartment owner so that I could complain]. The receptionist and pool minder were, of course, employed by the hotel.

Overall, an expensive experience greatly spoiled by the above irritations."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2005

Shockingly bad

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"This hotel is by far the worst I have ever stayed in. Its 5 star rating is a total joke. The hotel is way over-priced and the standard of service is awful. Staff are rude and incredibly unhelpful. The food made us ill and the rooms smelled musty.

For the exhorbitant prices one pays for both the room and the food, we should expect a much better attitude in terms of service. Any opportunity the staff had to rip us off was taken. I would strongly recommend avoiding this hotel. You've been warned!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2005

The hotels website advertises individual...

Reviewed Thu 31st of March 2005

"The hotels website advertises individually controlled air conditioning in each room.

This is incorrect & despite it touching 30 degrees, the hotel did not deem it warm enough to switch on their system!! When I complained, I was offered a portable system. It was cool, but made as much noise as a pneumatic drill.

I found the furnishings in the room to be average, with one of the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in & some of the worst quality pillows imaginable, certainly not of 5* deluxe standard. It had a poor quality TV, dirty balcony & I found the breakfast to be very average.

Having stayed in this class of hotel in several other places, I was very disappointed, but grateful that I was not paying the full rate of £300 per night! I checked out after 2 days & spent the next 7 days at the vastly superior Guadalupe getting a 2-bed suite with Jacuzzi on the balcony! for the same price.

This is an over priced and out of date hotel & I won’t be returning."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2005