La Cabane, Club de Playa

Disappointing

Reviewed 22nd June 2016

"The hotel looks lovely, pool is amazing. Dinner service leaves a lot to be desired same menu for lunch as dinner. Which they eventually gave us a different menu to choose from. Took 25 minutes to clear dinner plates and it is not even busy then did not even know the other dessert choice which was given For the price very disappointing."

• Travel date: 22nd June 2016

Paradise

Reviewed 2nd April 2015

"We are in room 315 and we love this hotel. The location is good and facilities to park your car is good and free of charge. The breakfast is amazing good. A good classic hotel. Facilities hairdresser, spa and a boutique. Helpful at the reception and restaurants. "

• Travel date: 1st April 2015

Great Location and Good Hotel

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"My Wife and I Spent 7 Days at Los Monteros (Aug 31 - Sept 7, 2004) for our honeymoon. Overall we had a good experience. The hotel was very nice and pleasant, staff was courteous and contrary to another reviewer they did speak english. Here are the Pros of the hotel: We liked the location because it was near everything and a quick drive to the heart of Marbella & Puerto Banus. (Parking in Marbella is a pain so instead of searching for parking, go to the underground parking lots..it will save you time) The pool was nice/relaxing and La Cabanne was great. At La Cabanne we chose to spend the 65 Euros and have the covered bed overlooking the Mediterranean which was very romantic and relaxing. On our 3rd night at the hotel the hotel hosted a complimentary cocktail hour for the hotel guests which was also nice. Here are the Cons: Food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced..It makes no sense. 60 Euros for a buffet at la cabanne is ridiculous, we recommend that you eat in Marbella, there are an abundant amount of restaurants to choose from and reasonably priced. Another con is that there is no Iron in the room so make sure that you bring your own. We had read some tripadvisor reviews and confirmed it with the hotel, so bring your iron for clothes or you will be paying a hefty price to get your clothes ironed. Lastly the beds in the rooms are twin beds that are pushed together to make a queen bed. It is very odd. The hotel had some cons but the pros in our opinion outweighed the cons. Also the Cons are easy to manage. Overall we had a good experience in Marbella and enjoyed ourselves. Marbella is within an hour drive to Algeciras where you can take a boat to Morocco and within 45 minutes from Gibraltar, so there are plenty of things to see and do."

• Travel date: 28th October 2004

Room for improvement, but pleasant overall

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"I just spent 3 nights at Los Monteros with my with wife, and I owe a review to all Tripadvisor readers, since it really helped me to read their reviews before I chose Los Monteros. I must admit that after reading some of the negative comments, I decided to change to La Quinta, but availability was a problem during the dates of our stay. So finally we stayed at Los Monteros. It is hard to be objective when reviewing a product like this, since each person has had his/her own experience, and each traveler has different needs. For example, for my like, there were way too many children at this hotel, but this is not the hotel’s fault, and probably it would make me happy to take my children to a hotel where the are so welcome. Also, not everyone pays the same amount of money for the same room, since we all book through different ways, some times with different offers. I do believe the time of the visit is critical. On a general basis, I avoid traveling during July and August, particulary to these seaside resorts. We stayed from September, 17th until the 20th. This hotel is officially a 5 star hotel (you always have to be careful with this ratings in Spain), and Great Luxury (I am not sure what makes the subtle difference between Great Luxury and plain Luxury). I found it overall very pleasant. I did not like the prices they charge hotel guests for using the facilities at La Cabanne (outside visitors are also allowed in the club). The only real difference between La Cabanne and the pool-site at the hotel is the fact that the former is next to the sea, which is nice, I suppose, but does not justify those extra charges. In fact, we visited La Cabanne the first evening, and we did not return. The walk to La Cabanne (if you don’t use the hotel minibus) is nice, through a beautiful and quiet residential area. The swimming pool and sub-tropical gardens at the hotel are very pleasant. Reception staff are overall very helpful and charming. Most of the other staff member were generally correct, although one would expect more ‘smiles’. We only tried the food at the Flamingo’s buffet breakfast, and I was alright but not impressive. Dining by the pool (at any time) is a lovely experience. Prices on all the menus are really high, many times unjustified. I strongly recommend going out to some of the magnificent restaurants in the Costa del Sol. Much better value and quality than in most hotels, including Los Monteros. In to the rooms, their design is by no means the most appropriate, and the maintenance could also improve. I found it unnecessary to pass under the door, every evening, a card with the weather forecast for the following day. So what’s new: sun and 28 º C. This is the Costa del Sol !!. Again, some visitors may consider this part of the Great Luxury but I believe they could use this effort somewhere else. Overall, I am glad to have visited this comfortable hotel. Just a few aspects disappointed us, but nothing bad enough to rank it less than Above Average."

• Travel date: 21st September 2004

Very Special Place

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Having read the reviews on Los Monteros before planning a trip here, I was a bit apprehensive, but was encouraged by the photos on. We knew that we made the right choice when we pulled up to check in and were transported to another time and place. Los Monteros retains much of the charm that upscale chains can lack, while offering all of the services that you would expect from a Four Seasons. Many of the employees have worked at the hotel for years and take a great deal of pride in their work and the hotel. People working at Los Monteros were glad to take a break from their work to snap your picture or ask about your stay. One night when we stayed in planning a light dinner, the hostess offered that we take a look at El Corzo, and we were glad that we did. The service was exceptional without being overbearing or pretencious. The wine list is outstanding and the red wine glass are works of art to be enjoyed with live music that was first rate. La Cabane is not to be missed and it is well worth it to rent the ocean front Queen sized beds for 85 euros, which includes a half bottle of Moet Chandon White Star. The duplex suites are well appointed and have views of both the ocean from the living room and the mountains from the bedroom. Indeed the prices, particularly for food, were high by any standard but given the high level of service the value was still outstanding."

• Travel date: 17th June 2004

Where do I start?!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"First off, they lost our reservation, which we fortunately had documentation of. We were then escorted down 3 flights to a room that had an extremely musty odor and feel. The room may have been large, but the quality of everything in the room was poor. We decided to go to the beach, which we were told was a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute shuttle ride (which came every half an hour). When we got to the beach club (which didn't really have a beach, just a tiny bit of sand), we went to sit in one of the lounge chairs and were told that we had to pay for them. After spending sooooo much money on the hotel itself, you would think that the lounge chairs would be included. We decided to leave 2 days early and ended up enjoying our vacation much more. I will never stay at this hotel again."

Better than anticipated

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We were unsure what to expect following sight of the polarised views so far displayed on this website. However, on the whole it was a fair representation of a five star. The staff were fine, the rooms were impecably attended to daily however we were not sure about the split level rooms. In total plenty of space but spread over the split level a bit cramp in parts. The only issue was the impression from photos that the beutiful picture of the beach side pool and covered beds were part of the actual hotel, was wrong. However it was only a 5 minute walk down the hill behind the hotel and the beach club there was exactly as in the photo, albeit you do have to pay for your sunbeds. Also no kettle or iron in the rooms. Overall enjoyable."

• Travel date: 4th June 2004

Over rated and self publicised = disappointing

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Just got back from a Los Monteros. We origianlly booked for 6 nights but cut this down to 3, and headed for the hills. Pool was overcrowded, and often not enough sun loungers for guests. It was a 5 minute walk to the beach (or 2 mins in their free minibus), where you could get to their Cabane and could hire a sunlounger for the sum of 24 or 30 Euros, per day, depending on whether you wanted the curtains. Hotel is MUCH smaller and less luxurious than their website would lead you to believe. It's a five miute cab ride into Marbella = 7 Euros each way. Staff were very pleasant. This is not what I wouls consider great luxury."

Pricey but excellent

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"I am an experienced business traveller and have stayed in lots of 5 star hotels. Just stayed here for 3 nights with my wife and it is a great hotel. More intimate than the larger chain hotels and the staff were extremely helpful,attentive and friendly. I stayed at 2 other hotels nearby on my trip and would say that Spaniards here can sometimes appear abrupt but all have been extremely helpful when i have talked to them. English may not be great so it helps to at least speak some basic words in Spanish. Gardens and pool area are beautiful areas to lounge in the sun as is the beach club 'La Cabane'. Room views are varied so make sure you book a room overlooking the pool or sea (quite distant) as opposed to the front of hotel and road.This may explain some of the disparity in reviews - also we had a split level junior suite so cannot comment on other rooms. Breakfast is great but the restaurants expensive so go to Marbella old town by cab in less than 15 mins to eat at much cheaper authentic Spanish restaurants. I would definitely go back."

• Travel date: 23rd May 2004

OK

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"I was hoping for a really great business trip here but I was disappointed. I have stayed at many 5 stars and this was not one of them. The hotel was nice although the facilities such as sports etc was run down and the staff were just about ok. I would spend the money they charged to stay here again, maybe if it's a lot cheaper!"

• Travel date: 26th January 2004

A big let down

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"A big disappointment. The views here were so varied but the majority said it was good but I can only say that it was a big let down. The staff were unhelpful and it was so expensive it was silly. Not a place we would revisit and I would suggest to others to look elsewhere. I find it hard to understand why some think it's great and others think it is so bad?? Strange."

• Travel date: 7th January 2004

Just Loved

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"My wife, kids and I went to Los Monteros in Marbella and I have to say that this classic Hotel just come back and in our opinion is the best Hotel in Marbella. We know all the 5 star properties and service and details like this is impossible to find in other place in Marbella."

• Travel date: 30th October 2003