About Room Mate Larios

• telephone
  • rooftop bar
  • rooftop terrace
  • newspaper
  • wake up service alarm clock
  • spanish amenities
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries

Club Class Concierge Triumph Again

Reviewed Wed 27th of May 2009

"What a beautiful Hotel in such a beautiful city. Malaga really is tops when it comes to pagentry and tradition but also mixes in high tech and banging nightlife effortlessly. My wife and I stayed at Larios hotel and during the day visited the "Manquita" (translates as one-armed girl, due to the unfinished tower... mañana maybe) and the newish Picasso museum. Wonderful. Also there is the beach, not particularly sparkling but great sea-food there. During the evening there are hundreds of restaurants, many offering pretty much the same fare but a few like the tapas bar "lo gueno" just off Larios is sublime and manages to feed an amazing amount of people from a small kitchen. I'd like to say I booked it all but I joined a holiday club called http://www.ClubClassConcierge.com and they booked it all for me, they even had our Picasso museum tickets waiting for us when we booked into the hotel (that they booked too). This is the first time I've used a holiday club like Club Class Concierge so I can't really compare them to anything but it's all so easy. Just tell them what you want and they do it for you! The hotel room was a reasonable size and our balcony looked out onto Calle Larios, we could people watch whilst waiting for the other to get ready... breakfasts were croisants and coffee, fruit etc. No cooked bacon! Oh well, healthier! I recommend this place unreservedly."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of May 2009

Great location but not a four star experience

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We stayed one night at the Larios - mainly as we had read about the fabulous rooftop bar but when we arrived we discovered that had closed a few weeks earlier. The hotel has recently become part of the Room Mate chain - a brand completely out of keeping with this hotel's elegant art deco style. The fleece and T-shirt orange easyJet style uniforms and the orange livery all over everything does not suit this hotel at all. Moreover on arrival the lift from the street to reception was out of order but there was no one to help with the bags. The air conditioning in our room didn't work and neither did the TV. As we were only there one night and were there to explore Malaga, this didn't really matter, and the hotel is dead central. But this was the poorest 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in in terms of service and upkeep, although the art deco building is undoubtedly charming."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Nice hotel but poor design

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"First impressions were good being a clean modern hotel and central to most points of interest etc.
However, our room was on the 4th floor and the Terrace bar is on the 5th floor directly above and this doesn´t close until 0200hrs!
The noise was terrible and we could´t get to sleep. We had to move to another room in the middle of the night.
The hotel should not rent rooms out on the 4th floor directly below the Terrace bar...........otherwise it was a good hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

Relax at Hotel Larios!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"A delightful hotel just off Calle Larios a pedestrianised area with many shops and little cafes. Hotel is small and quaint; breakfast was excellent with a wonderful restaurant view over the roof tops of Malaga.

We were there during Feria-fiesta or fair time and everywhere was in celebration with decoration and locals in costumes so the atmosphere was tremendous.

Plenty of sights to see-we took an open top bus tour hop on hop off and do recommend this mode of transportation if like us you were on a very short stay in the city and you wantedt o visit as much as possible."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Can't Do Better

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Perfect hotel at the end of our travel by train week in Spain (my teenage son and me). Spent our last 2 days in Spain at this luxurious hotel. It is in the perfect location in Malaga, with windows overlooking the absolute center on Calle Larios. The plaza and street are busy all day and night, with great places to eat and the Cathedral, Alcazaba, and Picasso Museum an easy stroll from the hotel. You can easily walk to the bullring and city beach as well, although out of the city center. We loved all the hotels we stayed at during the week, but this one takes the cake. The air conditioning was the absolute best of all the hotels, for one. There's a bar on the roof terrace with great views of the city. And the front desk was friendly and helpful to us "trying to speak Spanish" typical Americans. The room was roomy by comparison to others in Spain/Europe, and it was clean and extremely comfortable."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

Perfect!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Stayed there with friends for a weekend away and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Location is perfect being on the corner of the city's main square and main shopping street.

Our room (408) was opposite the lift and one floor below the roof terrace but we were not disturbed at all. It was also one of the larger rooms with views looking down onto the shopping street.

The rooftop bar is superb, great views of the cathedral and the rooftops, good music and very lively until well past 2am.

Very friendly and professional staff and faultless service.

Breakfast at Cafe Central on the square is very nice but there are plenty of other cafes in the surrounding streets.

There are plenty of wonderful and lively restaurants on the streets leading off the main strip for dinner."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of August 2007

Brilliant location

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Thie best thing about this hotel is it's great location. It is right in the middle of things and everything is on the door step or only a short stroll away.
If you are driving then it is quite difficult to find, even if you have a map as there are loads of one way streets!
Staff are v helpful and friendly.
Rooms are big, clean and have a/c. We didn't find them noisy at all and ours was overlooking the main shopping street below.
The bar on the terrace is brilliant. Really busy and good music. Lots of beautiful people hanging out there!
We would definitley stay here again.
Also it is really great value for money."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2007

Great location

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"Just returned from a week's stay and had a wonderful time! The location of the hotel is excellent and it's very easy to find (not sure about the other reviews to the contrary) as it's right at the end (on the left) of Calle Marques de Larios.

Check in was smooth and the receptionist was friendly. Our room (302) overlooked the Plaza de Constitution, which was a plus. I didn't find noise a problem at all -- just close the french doors and you'll be in complete silence. Air conditioning in the room was a plus.

Didn't try the hotel restaurant as the menu was a bit limited, though we did order a nice in-room breakfast (a selection of rolls and pastries, yogurts, freshly squeezed orange juice, and tea or coffee).

Housekeeping was great and made up the room quickly. Fresh sheets each day!

I wouldn't say the hotel was 4 star, though...perhaps 3? While the room itself was fine, the bathroom could do with some refurbishment as the marble floors were a bit worn, shower curtains a bit tatty, etc.

Overall, though, a very pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone who will be spending some time in Malaga. The location is superb!

We went right at the end of shoulder season and were pleasantly suprised that there were very few western tourists around -- the trip felt much more authentic as a result.

Taking a taxi from the airport will cost about 16 euros, not including a tip, or you can get the number 19 bus, which takes around half an hour, costs 1 euro, and will put you down on the paseo del parque, which is just one block over from the end of calle marques de larios (about a 5 minute walk to the hotel)."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

Perfect location for city break

Reviewed Thu 8th of November 2012

"I booked this having read the reviews here, and had an ideal experience. Booking through hotel website was quick and efficient. The staff are charming and helpful: the standard room on third of four floors was good size and very clean: the bathroom spacioius and well provided with toiletries. In the evenings there was live music ranging from jazz to modern flamenco in the first floor lounge.

The key aspect for us was its location on one corner of Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion), at the top of Calle Marques de Larios (Larios Street). Absolutely ideal for exploring the fascinating historical town centre and adjacent to plenty bars and restaurants. Across the Square is the old Cafe Central, ideal for a tapas lunch or an evening drink in the sun.

Taxi from the Airport is €10 - 14 traffic dependant but the City Bus no. 19 runs every 15 mins from the airport to the bottom of Larios Street for the pricely sum of €1 each way (20-25 mins). Take it!

Use the City Buses to explore - it's a standard €1 fare however far you travel. Great value. You can pay the driver.

We found Malaga a lovely town and a 3 day break was ideal to see it all, strolling the old narrow streets of the centre - and dont miss a visit to the castle on the hill.

If we go back we will certainly stay at the Larios again."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of March 2007

Excellent location, not a 4 star hotel

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"There are many positives and negatives about this hotel that a lot of reviewers have highlighted. I would like to give my 2cents worth! I gave this hotel a 4 because I thought it was better than a 3, if I could have given the hotel a 3.5, I would have - I will try to put a positive for each negative...

We decided to rent a car in Malaga because it was December and we wanted to go to The Alhambra in Granada and didn't there would be a lot to do in a beach town in December.

The hotel is located on a pedestrian street...
- The hotel is VERY hard to find, especially if you are in a car.
+ Every time we called to say "we're lost" the person who answered at the hotel would stay on the line with us at every turn.
- When we got frustrated and parked at the 1st garage we found.
+ The woman at the front desk offered for our car to be "picked up" by the bellman from the parking garage we parked in and taken to the garage that the hotel had an overnight 'deal' with.
+ The bellman would also get our car in the morning or whenever we wanted it, a bonus service when you can't pull up to the hotel 'front door'

The Noise! The hotel is located on a pedestrian street...
- The noise wasn't just from outside. We could also hear the people above us walking, moving chairs, etc. The noise from the hallways also carried into our room.
- The noise from outside is awful! Especially, when the 'street performer' outside your window plays 'silent night' with a few 'jingle bells' on repeat from his tape recorder from 17:00 - 24:00!!
+ Hey, the noise (outside) stops at Midnight!
Seriously, we stayed on a busy main road in Rome, but the windows were sound proof and when they were closed, it was silent.
-/+ So, Yes, it is a busy street in the center of town BUT they claim the are a 4 star hotel... they could spring for better windows!

+ Location is everything, the hotel was in a great location!
+ the staff were kind and helpful and gave wonderful suggestions (my fiance is fluent in Spanish, which helped!).
+ the prices in the bar for a 'night cap' or a glass of wine were reasonable.
+ While we are traveling, we often buy a bottle of wine from a store and bring it up to our room to drink while we are getting ready for dinner. The bartender graciously opened our wine each night and gave us fresh wine glasses. (She was very sweet and just as annoyed as we were about the Silent Night coming from outside on repeat).

All in all the stay was fine. We just didn't like the noise and didn't think the qualities were 4 star. There was no gym, no whrilpool, no air conditioning, no business lounge, no piece and quiet!

If you are going to Malaga in the Winter, we suggest renting a car. Don't miss The Alhambra in Granada. It's an easy drive and beautiful!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of December 2006

great stay

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I liked the other reviews here and was absolutely happy with this hotel. I'd like to address the people who complained about noise. you have to understand that this hotel overlooks a very popular square and shopping street. there is no way you should think to open the extra thick windows and not expect street noise. the hotel has first rate central air/heating and I would only open the window when leaving the room. the street is closed to traffic so there's no rumbling either. the other thing is that malaga is under a huge reconstruction boom and there's literally construction going on everywhere in the city -- except around this square which is nice. the staff were excellent -- I left a sweater in my room and they were able to forward it on to my next stay and also knew lots of helpful info. finally, the people who complained about the size of the bathroom I think are used to staying in big hotels because I was very impressed with the full sized and deep bathtub in my room. very convenient to all sites and a short walk (about 5 blocks one street, 5 blocks another) from the subway station (which is easy way from the airport)."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of December 2006

Hotels near Room Mate Larios

Top traveller tips for Room Mate Larios

• sven7447 by sven7447

"Great for couples, not a lot for kids, great night life, especially weekends. "

• sven7447 by sven7447

"Lo Gueno, Picasso Museum, "

Room Mate Larios is also called