HOTEL

Excellent value

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We stayed here for 2 nights in early January and were pleasantly surprised with the hotel given our very cheap rate of 85 euro a night plus tax. The location was good, less than 10 minutes' walk to the main shopping area. The lobby was not madly impressive but how often do you see a nice lobby and disappointing rooms? This was the opposite. The room, while not huge, was an adequate size with lots of light and small balcony overlooking the bullring. You could also see the Alcazba from our room. There was an interior lobby so despite the fact that our room was alongside the lift it was very quiet and peaceful. There was some kind of building going on outside from time to time but not too bothersome. There were great blackout curtains so we had a good sleep-in. Great selection of toiletries in the pristine bathroom. Excellent room service (I recommend the bacon baguette!) from charming staff. Very cheap minibar prices, 1.50 for a beer if I recall correctly. There was a very nice bar/restaurant on the first floor, with a nice view of the city during the day and free internet access. Also, there's an OpenCor convenience shop right across the street. When we were leaving the porter called us a taxi and brought our bags out for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. I recommend El Chinitas bar/restaurant, C/Moreno Monroy 4-6. We had lunch in La Casa del Angel as it was highly recommended in the guidebook- big disappoinment food-wise but definitely worth going for a drink and a look around."

• Travel date: 19th January 2007

Lovely Weekend

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Went to visit Malaga for a weekend, stayed in the MS Maestranza for 3 nights. I would say that it is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in, had very nice room which over looked the castle and the harbour. The room could not be faulted, was a great size and was cleaned every day. The staff were very pleasant and happy to help. It is literally 5 minute walk from beach and a 10 minute walk from centre, therefore ideal location. The pictures on the website where I booked, did not do it justice. If you are driving yourself, it maybe harder to find, we got a taxi from airport which took approx 20 mins. I would definetely recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: 24th November 2006

Well situated....stressfull to find!!

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Only stayed one night in Malaga although to do city justice it deserves more. Very dificult find enterance to the hotel although could see the hotel sign on the roof, spent over an hour driving around a complicated road system in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Eventually porter took car from the side of the road and parked it for us. Lovely views from top of hotel, where sun loungers, jacuzzi and steam room. 5 min walk to beech, port, shopping, old city and castle. Room on 12th floor clean and modern and buffet breakfast was full of variety. I would love to stay again and for longer"

• Travel date: 13th October 2006

Stunning location, Great staff

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Can not be beaten for location, the roof top sun lounge looks directly into bullring. We were there during Feria and watched bullfights from the roof. City centre 10min walk away and the beach less than 5. Staff were amazing from reception to the chambermaids every one was polite and smiling. Only two small complaints, the ac was smelly and the breakfast poor. The cafe under the hotel was quite good though and opens at 8am unusualy early for the area."

• Travel date: 27th August 2006

Good hotel if you can find it

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Oh my God, we had a heck of a time finding this hotel! It's smack in the middle of downtown and there's no driveway or parking, the street signs are microscopic and most of the streets are one-way. By taxi much easier than driving on your own, as we were. However, as with everywhere we went in Andalucia, the staff was wonderful, helped us with our luggage, taxis, airline reservations, rental car snafus, etc. On our last day in Spain, when most everything else went wrong, they were great."

• Travel date: 17th May 2006

Somewhat over rated

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I booked 3 nights from Sat to Mon based on the reviews on this site, and was slightly disappointed. Sure, the rooms are modern and clean, but a bit on the small side. No waste bin in the bedroom, the one in the bathroom was tiny, and tea/coffee making facilities would have been nice (especially for a 4 star at this price!). The bathroom was lacking in shelf space - and my wife only takes a modest amount of cosmetics etc. No toillet cleaning brush either.... The spa room is closed on Sundays, shame, as we were looking forward to a nice soak in the jacuzzi after exploring Malaga on foot. However, the hotel is located within walking distance of Alcazaba and the surrounding areas and only a few minutes walk from the beach. The reception staff are very helpful, they sorted out our on line check in for our flight home. The hotel bar prices are very fairly prices - giant glassof brandy for only 3 quid! (mini bar prices aren't a rip off either) We used Shuttle Direct for airport to hotel - approx £28 return"

• Travel date: 25th April 2006

Great Location

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"We have just returned from our Easter vacation in Malaga and stayed at the MS Maestranza. The location of this hotel is ideal. The castle, cathedral and night life of the old town is within walking distance (10 minutes). The beach is a 5 minute walk. In addition the airport bus terminates across the road. Our room was spacious and had a balcony. However when checking in ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Unfortunately our balcony was at the front over looking the main road and the cars could constantly be heard. Breakfast was not included and we decided to sample some of the local cafes. These were overly priced and service took forever. On the 3rd morning we decided to opt for breakfast at the hotel. This was definitely the most cost effective choice as it there was a good selection of cold and hot food. I particularly enjoyed the selection of cold meats. Overall though a little steep in price, I recommend this hotel for its central location."

• Travel date: 17th April 2006

Super city hotel

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Ideal location for a city break in Malaga. Hotel spotless, staff efficient and friendly. Worth asking for a quiet room (ours overlooked the Bullring and had good views also of the Castillo de Gibralfaro). Good value for money. Highly recommend."

• Travel date: 9th March 2006

Hotel Spot On

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"The choice of this hotel was pretty much "hoping for the best". As a party of ten, booking on the last minute, we had to take what we could get. We need not have worried, it turned out to be a great choice. Bedrooms tastefully furnished, spotlessly clean, as are the bath rooms. I would reccomend asking for a room on the higher floors, as there is a disco nearby, and you may hear noise from that on Saturday night. The staff were friendly and helpful. It is situated on the edge of the old town, which is very pretty. Beach close by, and alongside the bull ring."

• Travel date: 1st February 2006

Great Value and Location

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"We stayed at the MS Maestranza for 3 nights, and were very impressed with every aspect of the hotel. This was my first trip to the Costa del Sol, and I had some preconceptions about Malaga all of which proved unfounded. It is a most beautiful place to stay, with a lovely Old Town which is well worth taking plenty of time to explore, and everywhere is remarkably clean too. MS Maestranza is easily reached by bus after an initial ride from the airport, from either the train station or coach station, just ask for the Bull Ring and the Hotel is next to it. The location was excellent for both the beach (less than 5 minutes) and the old town (5 minutes). We asked for a quiet room and were given a room on the north side overlooking the Bull Ring, with a nice view up to the Castle which is illuminated at night. I would guess that rooms facing south could be troubled with noise from the main road that runs at that side of the building. Our room was indeed very quiet. The room was clean, comfortable with good sized beds (I'm 6'6" and slept very well), the bathroom spacious, and the aircon worked very well too. Our only quibble would be that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, though I'm sure this would be taken care of by room service if required. We didn't eat in the hotel (or use any of it's other facilities like the pool/sauna etc), preferring to sample some of the many bars and restaurants which are easily at hand in the Old Town, so can't comment on the quality of the food, although the menu's looked fine and keenly priced. Overall, I would definitely recommend a stay at the MS Maestranza to any of my friends, and will look forward to our next visit there too, especially if we can get it for less than £50 per night again!"

• Travel date: 23rd January 2006