Hotel Monarque Fuengirola Park

Camino antiguo del ferrocarril S/N, 29640 Fuengirola Spain

Fuengirola Park Hotel

"I have recently completed my GCSE's and as a reward, my parents agreed to take me and 6 other 16 year olds away on holiday. We wanted a lively, clean hotel. It was also crucial that the price was affordable.
A few days before going, I decided that I would have a look at some of the reviews on the hotel. I came away worried and slightly downhearted after reading that the hotel was "unclean" and "overcrowded".
However, having stayed at the hotel for a week I saw a completly different side to the reviews. The hotel itself was extremely clean, the bed sheets were clean and changed daily. The bathroom towels were replaced so long as you left them on the floor every 2 days.
On the first night we certainly tested the hotels cleaners by literally throwing all the toliet paper around the room after having soaking it under the tap! But sure enough the room was clean the next day. So the reviews on the "unclean" rooms has even being sorted or was a one off.
The pool was reasonable, however they were fairly strict about blow up rings etc. But that wasn't a problem because you can use the pool across the road where they allow rings etc.
As with any hotel, there was a constant rush for the sun beds, but so long as you get up by 10 am you should be ok! In some of the reviews I have read people complained of the smell of sewage. We did smell this, but it wasn't a constant smell and you could only smell it when it was midday. And it was only around the pool area. We assumed that it was because of the intense heat we had during that week (with high's of 40 degrees C).
In many reviews I read that the food was repetative and that it was and discusting. Repetative it was, discusting it was not. The food, in my opinion is exactly what you would expect from a 3 star buffet style restaurant. It was relatively simple and some dishes did resemble English food. My friends and I didn't find the food all that great and often went to the local supermarket to buy a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate. However my mum and dad found the food reasonable. The good thing about the restaurant was that they allowed you to swap you evening meal for a dinner meal if you wanted to go out to some restaurants in the center of Fuengirola, which broke up the repetative meals!
The hotel staff did seem slightly rude in my opinion but would have done anything to help if asked. This simply could have been because of their cultural differences.
The activites in the hotel were good, with 2 pool tables, an air hockey table, table tennis table, 2 tennis courts and daily activites taking place.
We chose the hotel because it was advertised to have English entertainment. This is completly untrue! The enterianment was in Spainish and we hardly ever went because it was full of old people! There were few people of our age, which thankfully didn't cause too big a problem because we had gone with our friends so we were able to entertain oursleves. Most of the hotel was full of 45 + people which was, in my opinion a false description in the brochure. It is certainly not a place for small children with no brothers or sisters! However the hotel did appear to have tried to solve this problem be setting up daily activities aimed at young children.
The situation of the hotel is exactly as the brochure states, it is on the outskirts of Fuengirola. This is probably better because we were able to travel into the center when we wanted to but escape to the quite outskirts throughout the day. And will certainly be appreciated during the high season. A couple of mintues walk away is the train station which can take you directly into Fuengirola, but dont rely on the train times! Another great half day out is the mountain village of Mijas, which can be easily accessed by bus and train.
A short walk along the beach and you can find a range of bars but if you want restaurants, its best to travel directly into the centre of Fuengirola. The front, is in need of repair, with missing pavements and a shabby look about it, but the beach is great. It stretches on for miles and is reasonably warm to swim in. And although we didn't take part in the beach activities, there were plenty.

To conclude, Fuengirola Park Hotel, is a clean, typical 3 star hotel. The entertainment is lacking and the food is reasonable. I wouldn't recommend it for young families because of the lack of youngsters around but it certainly doesn't deserve some of the poor reviews it has recieved in the past."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of July 2004

Very good for 3 star

Good

"We took our daughter, her partner and two sons aged 9 & 6 half term week at the end of May to the Fueringirola Park. For a 3 star hotel it was very good, extremely clean. Polite staff on reception and at the bars. Swimming pool area very clean attended daily by a lifeguard. The childrens pool could be slightly bigger. Play area was adequate.
The food was good, slighty repetetive but again clean, hot food was hot, always plenty of fresh fruit available, wonderful strawberries and melon. Getting breakfast because it was all buffet was a bit of a bun fight! There were a lot of Spanish pensioners in the hotel and they certainally had not been to charm school!! pushed and shoved by drinks machines and so on particuarly the children.
But all in all a good hotel and surrounding area certainally the quite end of the resort, thank goodness......"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2004

Fawlty Towers without the humour

"Having recently spent a week at the fabulous Coronas Playa in Costa Teguise, just returned to day from a 4 day break at Fuengirola Park, with my brother in law.
Weather had been "cold and miserable" up until the morning of our arrival, but we were blessed with fabulously warm and dry weather.
First impressions of the hotel, well looked like it needs a fortune spending on it, looking very threadbare, lots of flaking paint in the dining room, dark reception and public rooms.
Have to say that the staff here are the least motivated i have come accross at any hotel.
At check in the receptionist only looked up to take our money for the safe, no " enjoy your stay etc."
Despite several cheery attempts at conversation i still failed to raise eye contact let alone a smile from the majority of the staff.
Our room was fine, clean tidy and functional. Pity our towels werent replaced or the water bottles remained for two days empty in our room.
Restaurant was unbelievably poor. Breakfast, we lived on bread roills and cheese (for the 2 days they offreded it) and cold meats. The hot food was at best cold! Even the fresh tray of fried eggs were stone cold as was the new tray "bacon?" as were the the new tray of potatoes at evening. Pork in Garlic served up as "Chicken" two nights later, Orange Juice was clear water.
Spoke to others who thought the hotel was good, but have to say it was the worst value for money i have spent in recent years.Will stick to thomson gold in future, at least you know what you are going to get. Oh yes saturday nights entertainment, a budgie conjuror .. hot food at last then tomorrow maybe!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of May 2004

Overcrowded fuengirola park hotel.

Good

"I stayed for 14 days in the annex of fuengirola park,in hotel cendrillion from 7/3/04to 21/3/04 my stay for the first 4 days were lovely the linen was change daily by the chambermaids who were very friendly and very efficent.The meals in the resturant was 1st class the staff here were very good and helpful working very hard.The hotel was spotlessly clean.The entertainment was very good.I did not think much of the bar staff in the lounge and the down stairs bar they had a attitude problem not very polite it seemed that serving people was to much trouble.After the 4th day i notice the chambermaids were cleaning the hotel masplaya very shortly 4 coaches arrived with other tourist.The furniture in the cendrillion was moved out of the TV lounge into the music lounge.very soon there was an over crowded hotel.The dinning room became over crowded resulting the the tables not being cleared.the music bar became crowded I got fed up with this and use to spend the evening in the town,After 4 days these tourist left only to be replace by another 4 coach loads.In the holiday brochure it mentions two hotels.Feuengirola park and the annex Hotel Cendrillion,it has no mention of the Hotel Masplaya.The fuengirola park and cendrillion are spotlessly clean.if you intend to stay at these two hotels make sure there is no-one in the Masplaya if there is and you dont like crowds forget about staying here I enjoyed the first 4 days here but I would not go back not with the crowds and them bar staff."

• Travel date: Mon 5th of April 2004

From a 49 point of view .......

Good

"My husband and I have just returned from a holiday in Fuengirola Park Hotel. We read all the reviews before we went but still went with an open mind. Taking comments from various people we agree that the hotel is definitely first class with regard to cleanliness. Walls are however paper thin and being a light sleeper you won't get much sleep! Food and arrangements for eating we found to be first class - plenty of variety each evening. Definitely a holiday hotel for over 60s - nothing against over 60s (honest). My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and did enjoy the hotel but would not go back given the age group - we will be that age quite soon and probably quite happy to go there - but not at the moment! Definitely not a hotel for anyone under 50!!!"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2004

Spring Escape

"Visited Fuengirola Park once a year since 1989. My mother Mary Forrest work as the SAGA nurse there, which is how we first discovered it. My sister and i now have a holiday there every year in May. The hotel is extremely well run, clean and friendly. The food is delicious and plentiful with english and spanish dishes available. We love it.Check out the cute barmen!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of March 2004

Not as good as it was...

"This was our second visit to this hotel and it has gone a little downhill since 2002, The food was excellent but now only adequate, but still acceptable. The two ladies on Reception are rather surly, as are the barmen in the upstair lounge. Best value here is the bottle of red wine @ two euros in the dining room! Breakfast a bit repetitive after two weeks, and some of the evening meals were scrappy, such as a pork dish which was nothing but bones & fat. To be fair, you could always find something to eat,with fresh rolls and nice coffee in the mornings.
One little thing that we did`nt like was that they only served margarine in the evening. Throw your towels outside the door every morning or you might find yourself embarrassed as I did because the maids walk straight in to change them!!"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of March 2004

Cute barmen!!

"My friend and I have just returned from the Fuengirola Park Hotel and nearly died when we found no young people! We are only 24 and we were the youngest there by a mile! Every body looked at us when we walked past them sitting at the bar because we were just like a couple of kids to them! it wasn't all that bad though, we went into the town a few nights and had a good time. The staff were friendly and at least we didn't have any competition with the cute barmen - we were the hottest thing they'd seen in years!!! Would go back though - it was quiet and it made for a relaxing holiday which is what i went for."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of March 2004

Pensioners Paradise

"Just returned from short break , found hotel ok, but food very bland and uninspiring. No tea making facilities in rooms, so take your own kettle. No English programs on TV ,apart from Eurosport or CNN News. We were youngest in the hotel and we are both 55! Evening entertainment quite good. Going again in June, unfortuneatly already booked before this visit. I will update you on my return."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2004

Excellent hotel, great staff

"The Fuengirola Park is a great hotel, the main building having been refurbished a couple of years ago. There are two other hotels in the grounds: The two-star Cendrillon is comfortable, with high ceilings and small balconies. I have not stayed in the three-star Mas Playa opposite the Cendrillon (its not always in use).The Fuengirola Park's bedrooms are set in two wings around the swimming pool. Personally, I think the best located rooms are those in the wing looking away from the hotel towards the mountains (where the communications aerials are). Mind you, if you want sun from late morning onwards, the other side of this wing (overlooking the pool) would probably suit better. If youre very lucky, youll get a side-sea view of the nearby beach. The bedrooms are spacious for two, and have a decent balcony. This hotel must have the cleanest rooms in Spain; theyre scrubbed from top to bottom every day. The only criticism? - I think they built the bedroom walls out of tissue paper covered with whitewash. You can hear normal conversation from next door as if they were in with you. The bathrooms share a vent channel, which makes even the tiniest noise coming from next doors bathroom audible, which can makes for an interesting bath-time! Earplugs are most definitely recommended if youre a light sleeper like me. Having visited the area a dozen times or so (staying in this hotel and the Cendrillon five or six times), Ive always found the staff to be typically Spanish - Warm, friendly and hospitable. There are several large public areas inside the building - The main bar, by the reception, is adjacent to a lounge that has plenty of soft chairs and sofas. Theres another bar one floor down, next to the pool, where most of the evening events seem to take place (dancing, live music, bingo). The prices in the bars are only a little more than you would pay in the local places, unlike some of the other hotels (especially the Yararmar). Some entertainments are held in the main bar, with the end of the garden beyond the pool used for petanque and air-rifle shooting. Although none of the events has ever been of interest to me, they seem well-attended and managed. Sunbeds - They dont get put out until 10.00, and dont seem to be enough for the busy times. Time, in that case, to go across to the beach!I noticed that there have been a few comments about the food (to say the least!). I found it to be fine, although not very Spanish. The large dining area is opposite the lower bar, and is all buffet-style, which is ideal. There are always four or five choices for the main course at dinner, and a similar number of sweets, including the ubiquitous cr?me caramel. They ask you not to bring your own drinks in to the dining room, but buy them from a bar inside. Again, the prices werent too bad (although a little more than the other bars. Thats a captive market for you). I preferred the breakfasts - A wide choice of both hot and cold items, and machines which dispensed (reasonable) coffee, tea and hot chocolate, with another for juices.Just across the road is a mini-market and a bar - The Rovers Return (not the best name, perhaps, but the owners are great people). Just up from the market turn right for the short walk to the Torreblanca train station (look for the RENFE sign). If youre coming from the airport to the hotel under your own steam, the train is an easy and cheap way of getting there. It also continues into the centre of Fuengirola. The opposite direction will take you back passed the airport, through Arroyo De La Miel (nice), Torremilonos, Plaza Mayor (a big entertainment complex, and the nearest place that shows English-language films) and eventually into the centre of Malaga. There is a bus stop outside the Cendrillon and Mas Playa hotels. The yellow bus (about every thirty minutes) takes you into the centre of town. Just here as well is the underpass beneath the busy dual-carriageway to the local beach and promenade, which runs for several kilometres to the right to Fuengirola and on all the way to the castle.In the centre of Fuengirola, you can get a bus to almost anywhere along the coast. A nice short trip would be up to the village of Mijas. Try going there in the evening, when there seems to be very few other tourists around, even in the summer.Hope you liked the review. I think Fuengirola is a great town, and has many attractions both in the town and around. Certainly its full of us tourists, but its still a Spanish town, which makes up for any downside."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of February 2004

Starving after 10 days!

"Although I enjoy being part of the Spanish community, unless you speak fluent Spanish the entertainment is impossible to enjoy. Sun beds weren't available til 11am and our room was dirty and dated with peeling walls. Apart from in the main foyer I did not see a smoke detector. The food quality was appalling, we survived on bread, butter, lettuce and cucumber! Whether the lack of food or the quality of what we did eat, we still have upset stomachs days after returning home.

If you are British, don't go!!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of July 2015

A real taste of Spain -it's not Blackpool you're in!

Good

"Stayed at Fuengirola Park for the last week of June 2014 with my partner and 2 kids age 12 and nearly 6. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel but I do speak Spanish and I like a taste of the 'real Spain'. The hotel is clean and the staff are fine. The buffet is much the same as you get in most 3 or 4 star hotels in Spain...some nights are better than others. We stayed half board and enjoyed spending time by the pool through the day, we were always able to get sunbeds and made friends with some Spanish guests. on arrival we were delighted to find a lovely bowl of fruit and bottles of water for us in our room on the 3rd floor. The room 333 had a balcony with a view of the pool. There weren't many British guests but we were made to feel welcome. Even though we arrived at 2am due to a flight delay, the gentleman on reception offered us a meal, and as I declined, he offered us a free lunch on our departure day. The entertainment was mainly dancing - the Spaniards loved the evening dancing. We mainly went for a walk along the prom. The beach is only a few mins walk away and it's not too busy, the shops are very reasonably priced nearby. It's not in the center of Fuengirola but in a suburb called Torreblanca. If you want a busy, very touristy place, then the Fuengirola Park might not be for you. However, we found the local bars and cafes to be good. I would return without a doubt! For the price we paid it was excellent value - £376 for the 4 of us for a week in the hotel half board (not including flights)."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of March 2015

Hotels near Hotel Monarque Fuengirola Park

Stayed at Hotel Monarque Fuengirola Park? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Monarque Fuengirola Park

• DanielleCallaghan by DanielleCallaghan

"The trip to Benalmadina on the Ferry is deffinatly worth doing as it is only 13 euro each "

• davann123 by davann123

"Dirty and expensive, stay away "

• davann123 by davann123

"Coast to Coast cafe on the front for lunch (English owned and very friendly) "

• Dave P by Dave P

"go there for a good holiday "

• dan by dan

"More for british visitors,help for O A P and disabled. "

• Anja72 by Anja72

"We expect foreign people to speak English lean a little Spanish as they love the Brits "

• Pauline S by Pauline S

"A low floor, saves wasting time waiting for lifts but I heard there's 2 new lifts been recently installed. "

Hotel Monarque Fuengirola Park is also called