Good

4 Star no chance

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2016

"You have to rate this hotel as a 2 star. The pool is poor. Extra charge for safe in room. Pick pockets always outside hotel at night, the hotel staff & police know about this and nothing is done. Basic room max 2 star, bathroom good, breakfast good. Lifts adequate, central location in Fuengirola.

• Travel date: Sat 30th of April 2016

WELL RECOMMENDED.

Reviewed Tue 21st of January 2014

"Having just returned from a golfing holiday with three friends 18/1/2014
our overall impression of the hotel was good.
the cleaning staff did a fantastic job, as the room was spotless every day.
we paid half board, which did not cost that much over b&b,thinking if the food was poor,
we could eat out in the evening, but we all thought the food very good.
or to put it this way if you could not find something to your taste after seeing the array
of food in front of you. You have a far better standard of living than me.

as in the past, i have paid a lot more for a lot less.

i am sure if you are the type who likes to take your video camera in the hope of poking it in
every dark hole to find fault, you probably will.

but overall we were all happy with our stay.

i did not review the pool, or the beach, as i never saw them."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of January 2014

Good & Bad

Reviewed Fri 21st of September 2012

"21/09/2012 Just returned from being here h/b for 1 week.Rooms were extremely spacious and well cleaned,reception were also very good for any needs,the restaurant served the best bacon and sausage we have ever had in a spanish hotel everything else was also very adequate however when it came to our evening meal the food was still pretty good really for the size of this hotel but unfortunately was let down by senior staff who could not be less interested,you were left to find your own table even when there were no tables available so this was quite bad after going around 3-4 times with no help from staff at all.Good location though close to everything."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2012

NOT 4 STAR at all.

Reviewed Mon 3rd of September 2012

"Do book if you don't mind constant noise at night, no matter what floor you stay on and being right by the rowdiest clubs and bars in fuengirola.
After following the wrong address they gave, or rather inaccurate address... we arrived in our hire car to lots of drunk people in the entrance and drive way and a security man half asleep behind reception. The area was chaos.
The hotel hadn't replied to my email about parking and so when we arrived we were told it would be 13.90EUR a night and i'd have to go back to the car to get the money for it upfront as we'd be able to enter the hotel direct from the car park and go straight to our rooms from there. This member of staff was particulary unpleasant to deal with. Over the days after most of the staff proved themselves to be friendly and helpful especially the two gentlemen looking after reception on the next morning.
Now he insisted on a credit card for the carpark transaction, but when i only brought him the money he moaned and accepted it. The carpark itself was tight but adequate and ideally placed at the bottom of the hotel. So one quick lift up to the rooms was all it took to get from the car to the room.
The car park appeared pretty safe. So safe that the next day when we tried to get out it wouldn't let us and it took ten minutes to get reception to let us out as they had expired our 24hr pass only 12 hours into the stay.
I asked if my requests for close rooms had been received and rooms away from the roadside... and was told they knew nothing about this. Not good at all. My mother was 4 floors away from me on her first holiday in years. Also one set of the very very busy lifts doesn't have signs on the floor to help you find the room you have.
One of us had a room on the 3rd floor and the other on the 8th. The 3rd floor appeared to be quieter than the 8th bizarrely but both suffered from absolutely zero protection from the constant 4/4 thump of the music in the clubs outside and in fact in the hotels own disco. I dread to think how it was on the 1st floor. At 3/4am in the morning this noise was still going.
In fact the next day I had to move, as I had to sleep in the bathroom the first night to get any sleep at all. Shame as the room itself was quite alright, nothing special but definitely fine for a week or so. The safe was broken, the fridge locked and in my first room it had no explanation how to fill it etc.
The new room i got had a broken door handle, a shower that flowed from both tap and shower head even after adjusting, and a hand basin that leaked every day. There was no iron available, no english channels for the tv and the wifi costs 12EUR a day! The gym also needs registering for. The pool is ok, not bad and quite clean. For so many guests there is not a lot of space... try your luck and if you get a spot you'll be ok. Only one of the three poolside showers was working though.
My mothers key stopped working so she got back to go to sleep and found she couldn't get in and needed to go four floors to me to get me to find out what was happening. All this was not fun.
The breakfast was very varied and generally well stocked. The eggs and the coffee left a lot to be desired, so it's a shame that's my staple breakfast diet :) Everything else seemed ok. The restaurant area was always hectic!
The location is very close to the sea, and between a couple of beaches either side of the port. It is right by the rowdiest clubs and bars, and then everything else touristy. It's a short walk into the town centre and the train station, so that's pretty good.
It is definitely not a 4 star hotel now though. It has suffered over time.
I won't be going back unless the price is unarguable. I will be writing to complain via lowcostholidays and I believe we paid for a 4 star hotel and didn't get what we paid for.
Book if it's going dirt cheap and you don't expect much more than a decent room and a lock on the door, though one of mine was broken the whole time. You will get a good location if you like the manic nights outside!"

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2012

Not a Four Star Hotel

Reviewed Fri 10th of August 2012

"Just arrived home after weeks stay at this hotel. I always take reiews with a pinch of salt as everyone has their own expectations of what to expect from a hotel. I am sorry to say that i agree with most of the negative comments on this hotel.
On the plus side the rooms have plenty of space and I have never stayed anywhere with as big a balcony as this hotel has. The maids did a good job of cleaning them every day. The decor was a bit dark but ok.
The food choice was very limited for a hotel of this size although what there is was acceptable. No show cooking of any sort was on offer.
The pool area is very small and again for the size of the hotel is disappointing. The pool itself was not inviting and seemed very tired so I therefore spent every day on the beach only returning for the last hour round the pool with the children.
I can't comment on the entertainment available or the hotel bars as I never used them.
Some staff were pleasant and others were miserable and quite ignorant.
The most disturbing event of my stay at this hotel is when checking out and returning the keys I was presented with a bill for €23. When asking what for I was told it was for drinks in the restaurant when I had paid cash each night. I was shown two bills with my room number on but not my signature and produced my passport to show this. I was then shown a further 2 bills which did have my signature (2 bills went missing from my table during the stay but I still paid cash and informed the staff what I had to drink and my room number)and one of them had a bottle of wine added (which I did not have) with a different colour pen. Although I did not pay the €23 it makes me wonder if this happens on a regular basis.
DO NOT give your credit card details as they request as I am sure if I had I would have charged anyway."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2012

Shame we look forward to our holiday!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of August 2011

"My husband and myself have just returned home after a week at this hotel. We have stayed there several times before and thought it was up to a 4* hotel. This time sadly not...in fact no where near it.
The reception staff are not that brilliant with their english and it would be nice if they smiled at times when they greet you at the reception.

The hotel room itself is spacious.
I know most hotels charge for the safe but when they don't work properly and you have to spend 10 mins shutting and opening it you kind of get fed up.
The air conditioning was not working properly and was at times a heatwave in the room. Light bulbs were going every day either in the bathroom or the bedroom.
We had to phone for towels to be delivered after returning from the beach and wanted a shower.
The towels were old and were very rough.

We were there for half board.
Breakfast was the same same every day especially the cereals. The fruit drinks were tasteless appeared to be watered down. There was a full buffet breakfast.....looked lovely but was so cold every day that we just wished we packed a microwave in our suitcase.
Supper was no different at all....It was either same salad every day or a choice of chicken/pork, pasta,
one variety of unknown fish and chips.
This was the choice every day for one week and to top it all the hot food was cold.

We did complain but the same happened every day through out the week. Entertainment was quite boring and quite lonely as hardly no one ever there.

We were told at the end of the holiday that this hotel has been taken over by new management??? Maybe this is the problem!

Sadly we would not rate this hotel any where near a 4*.

Yuk......my advice is go and stay somewhere else.

• Travel date: Thu 18th of August 2011

Las Palmeras, Fuengirola Rated 4*, but o...

Reviewed Sat 13th of September 2008

"Las Palmeras, Fuengirola
Rated 4*, but only worthy a very basic 3*
Hotel room ok, good size bathroom.
Food: lacks variety, same meals everyday/night. Breakfast usual cereals, hard rolls and fryups. Evening meals very bland, salads, fish, meats...no fresh cooking, poor for a 4*, coffee/orange by machine.
Entertainment: Flemenco nights, bingo, general music, mainly for the older people not for teenagers.
Resort: very good, hot, good safe beach, plenty of restaurants, pubs, a family holiday place. Too many beach sellers, sunglasses, bags etc. very annoying. Good small zoo and shoe shops etc. plenty of walks through the streets and prom.
Would go back, but to a better hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2008

This hotel, Las Palmeras is rated 4*, bu...

Reviewed Fri 5th of September 2008

"This hotel, Las Palmeras is rated 4*, but only worthy a 3* at best.
Room ok, big bathroom. Swimming pool on 5th floor and opens at 10am, not many sunbeds.
Food: breakfast...cereals, fruit, hard rolls and english fryup. Diner, salads, fish and meats, lacks variety, and not cooked freshly as expected for a 4* hotel, puddings ok. Basically its the same meal everyday/night, not much selection, very boring.
Entainment ok, Flemenco, magic, bingo, general music, a bit ordinary, not much for teenagers, ok for over 50s. Cosmopolitan hotel, manly Spanish, French etc.
Good location for beach, resturants, bars etc. Very hot in August 30+. Too many beach sellers, watches, bags, sunglasses etc, day and night. Good family location, safe beach, not much for the 20-30s."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of September 2008

I previously stayed at this hotel many y...

Reviewed Sun 7th of October 2007

"I previously stayed at this hotel many years ago and chose it for its central location. The hotel is very big and it is well placed for being right in the centre of Fuengirola only a few minutes’ walk to the beach one way and the town shops the other. Taxi's cost between 28-35 Euros depending on time of day/night but cannot take more than 4 passengers, so you may need to pay for 2 taxis.

I telephoned the hotel 4 weeks before our arrival and asked for 2 rooms next to each other (1 room was for my 2 older children aged 12 and 14) and also stated that we would be arriving late as our flight wasn't due to land until 23.20.

When we arrived at the hotel the rooms were not together (although on the same floor) and the 3rd bed in our room for our 4 year old wasn't even there so we had to wait for it 20 minutes at 1am which wasn't fun.

The rooms on the non pool side (where we were) are very noisy, even though we were on the 6th floor. We knew there would be some noise from reading other reviews but we were not prepared for how much continual noise there was until 5am every single night. I dread to think what it must be like in peak summer! Even with the door shut, this is a noisy hotel.

When it quietens down at 5am, you get all the restaurants dumping umpteen empty beer and wine bottles into the recycling bins opposite the hotel and when that is done usually by 6am, the noisy sweepers come along and wash the roads.... Sure you are getting the picture by now!

I am not a prude and love music and to enjoy myself, but lack of sleep over the 9 nights was not funny.

There is no lighting on the balcony so when it's dark, you cannot sit out and read.

There are 5 lifts in the hotel (for over 400 rooms), one of which didn't work the entire time we were there. The lifts are slow and sometimes we waited 20 minutes for a lift that then came along full. We frequently gave up and walked.

The food was okay at breakfast with plenty to choose from but every day the same. Dinner was always a choice of salads along with fish and meat dishes and chips. No traditional Spanish food or seafood until day 7 which was disappointing. We swapped dinner for lunch one day and the choice was much smaller. The soup was always called something different but was always the same colour!

The sheets were not changed once during our stay and the rooms weren't cleaned until between 2-4pm making it impossible to have an afternoon siesta.

The reception staff are the most unhelpful and unfriendly I've ever come across. I asked about keeping a room on for a few hours on departure day as we didn't need to be at the airport until 21.30. I was told the cost would be 30 Euros, but to ask about availability on the morning of check-out. Firstly with 3 children to consider, I needed to be a bit more organised than that and also which hotel doesn't know their availability?!

Although the hotel states towels will be removed from 'reserved' sunbeds, lots of people went to the pool when it opened at 10, put towels down, then disappeared and I never saw a towel being removed. The pool is okay, but way too small for a packed August hotel.

We watched the entertainment flamenco dancers one night, which was enough. Frankly we could have done better ourselves!

I have no idea what gave this hotel a 4* status because in my opinion 2 would be more appropriate. 3 years ago we stayed 100 yards down the road at the El Puerto, the Las Palmeras sister hotel which is a 3* and it was a million times better.

If I was single (or deaf!), wanted English breakfast every day and wanted to have a lively holiday then this is the best hotel. For a family holiday I'd never step foot in this hotel again. "

• Travel date: Sun 7th of October 2007

For a 4 star hotel, the look was right....

Reviewed Thu 5th of April 2007

"For a 4 star hotel, the look was right. But the service was far from 4*. I'd been visiting attractions in Southern Spain with a party, and Las Palmeras was our hotel, so no doubt we were tired when we got back to the Hotel after a night of partying.

The Bar was good entertainment, but I was unimpressed about the rooms. My first night, I heard children running along the corridors and shouting. I didn't have a great nights sleep. I complained and that seemed to have worked.

The next day, however, I heard some children saying that things had gone missing, and they had asked the maids if they knew anything about it. The maids said that the children's things were in the way, so they took them out of the room. I was disgraced so I kept all my belongings hidden in drawers and even my wardrobe.

I was also sharing a room with 2 other people, and rooms only had 2 beds in, so one had to sleep on a camp bed. The camp bed, it seemed, wasn't clean everyday. The main beds were but the camp bed wasn't. We complained yet again and they said they would clean it, but they didn't. My friend had to sleep in a dirty bed all week!

So, overall, you can see why i have given it a rating of 5/10, and that it doesn't live up to its standards of 4*!

• Travel date: Thu 5th of April 2007

food spoiled a good stay

Good
Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"stayed a week in las palmeras hotel hotel staff very helpful. after asking a resident couple about what were the best rooms they advised us to ask for a room with even numbers on door as rooms with odd numbers were above london bar and very noisy, boy were they right asked for room high floor even numbers, got one. rooms nice big balconys all sea views room service every day COMPLAINTS "cold food" every meal we did half board ate supper at 20 00hrs hardly any meat with cold gravy even chips were cold asked if they could supply microwave to heat up supper told food comes out of kitchen hot so::"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of January 2006

Not quite 4 Star

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"I can't really fault the overall standard of the hotel. My room was spacious, clean etc. Unfortunately it was directly opposite the famous? London Bar and even in January the area was very noisy until 6am. I hate to think what it must be like in the high season.That apart there were one or two things that let it down. Firstly there was only one channel available on the television and that of course was in Spanish. Secondly the breakfasts were very average overall and any hotel in Spain might be expected to supply proper fruit juice instead of some watered down concentrate in the morning. I cannot comment on any of the other meals provided. The swimming pool was closed for 2 weeks maintenance but that was no big deal at this time of year. No real complaints but not really ticking all the boxes."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of January 2006

Hotels near Hotel Las Palmeras

Top traveller tips for Hotel Las Palmeras

• Derrick F by Derrick F

"A FEW ROUNDS OF GOLF AT THE LA CALA GOLF RESORT, OR A TRIP TO RONDA, IF YOU DONT SUFFER FROM VERTIGO, AND THE MUSEUM. "

• pjh by pjh

"Expect 2 star hotel. This is definitely not a claimed 4 Star hotel. "

Hotel Las Palmeras is also called