Hotel IPV Palace & Spa

A7 km.207,junto al Castillo Sohail, 29640 Fuengirola Spain

disappointing hotel

Reviewed 4 months ago

"my husband and i just returned from our long weekend break we had booked 4 nights at this hotel but we were very disappointed and only stayed 1 night- very dark room - balcony has a high wall so we had to stand to get any view of the sea - very noisy hotel - and unhelpful staff room was nothing like picture on booking site."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of June 2018

Really nice hotel, Staff not so much

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"My company recently had their yearly conference at the hotel, and several of us decided to stay over with our families for the weekend. The hotel itself is lovely, very modern decor, extremely clean, top of the line facilities and directly next to the beach. Food is above average, but not excellent. It is also an easy walk (5-10 minutes) to the beach front walk in Fuengirola itself.

The only downside is the staff, who have a tendency to be a bit surly if one tries to bring any small imperfection (and they are small) to their attention. Also, they charge an exorbanant deposit for beach towels, so be sure to bring your own. They all did speak excellent English, however, which is a plus.

Overall, this is a really nice place for a splurge for a relaxing break away. Just don't deal with the front desk staff any more than absolutelyl necessary."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

A good family holiday

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Beatriz Palace Spa Hotel. I must say that the presentation of the hotel was very good, the staff polite and our room was kept clean daily.

My son who is 8 enjoyed the pool and the small but functional play area. He enjoyed the food as did my mother and I, especially the deserts.

My mother who is 62 had fun there. She said she felt comfortable and enjoyed the choice of food. Her only complaint would be that the prominard was not lite up at night so she could not go for a walk by the sea.

For myself, I enjoyed my stay. My only negative would be that we had to pay for our drinks at dinner time but was offered free drinks in the morning? The entertainment was very average and they did not offer a basic lunch menu at their pool bar restaurant during lunch time.

I think it deserves its 4 star but I don't think its superior as yet.

Great stay and would recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Disgraceful

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"On arriving at the hotel we were met with a very cool reception,,, not warm and welcoming at all.
we were refused a double room.
we were asked for credit cards,,we didnt bring any and the reception then proceed to let off a loud sigh.
I was very unimpressed with the bad attitude of the staff in this so called 4 star hotel.
The food was ok nothing special.
And as for the pool bar,,, what a disgrace,, never a smile,, basically did not like serving you unless you were spanish, a joke.
Would i go back,,, not if you paid me."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

What a fabulous Hotel

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in June. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk from the outskirts of Fuengirola (some reviews said 40 minutes? not sure where they were walking to?) The walk to Fuengirola is pleasant - along a promenade on the beach - which although it wasnt complete when we went was still accessible from the hotel. There is a great beach bar right outside the hotel on the beach which plays fab music... its a must to sit and chil out with a cold beer here.

The food at the hotel was really good and there was a good choic... in fact too much choice so we over ate!. But watch out... the outside restaurant is very pricey compared to what is on offer 10 mins walk away. If your thinking of grabbing some lunch you would be better going to the beach bar just at the back of the hotel.... food is good and reasonable. Drinks at the hotel were a little more expensive but not too over the top.... a bottle of wine set you back about £8.

Rooms were well furnished and comfortable and cleaned daily to a very high standard.... every room has sea views and the view are amazing at night.

You get a real mix of nationalities at this hotel... everyone who we met were very nice and friendly. Its great for adults and im going back with my daugters (16 & 17) but younger children who were not able to venture out on their own would probably get bored as there isnt many children there or much for them to do.

We booked with Atlas Choice and Travel Republic who offered the best prices..... other people paid far more than us!

Overall I am intending to go back.. and back.. its a great hotel in a good location.

Happy Holidaying"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Beautiful Hotel - shame about the resort

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We have just had a fabulous long weekend at this beautiful hotel. It was spotlessly clean & the rooms were spacious and modern. The quietest air conditioning I have ever experienced ! After holidaying in USA & Carribean for many years, I wasn't expecting such high standards as I had been used to, however I was pleasantly surprised as the friendly service was very good. The quality of the food was excellent. The A La Carte restaurant was very good value with a really lovely menu - although the portions are small. It's probably better to eat in the buffet if you are really hungry - although a little pricey, the standard & variety of the food was excellent. The hotel certainly is stunning & the pool area offers plenty of shade & sunloungers. The pool was kept immaculately clean and my only 'wish' would have been for waiter service at the poolside & some background music !

The complimentary vouchers for the spa are well worth using as it was beautifully maintained & was a lovely break from the poolside. The temperatures soared past 38 degrees C so we took advantage of the indoor pool.

Unfortunately, the resort of Fuengirola itself is dreadful. Although there are plenty of lovely shoe shops, there is little else to tempt you away from the hotel. Luckily, we were only staying for a 4 day break - we would have struggled to eat outside the hotel as it looked like a cheap version of Blackpool. I don't normally 'do' Spain, but after staying at this Palace we will definately be booking in at one of the sister hotels as I would like to see another area of Spain.

All in all a great find which we will be repeating with some more friends next year."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of July 2006

The good, the bad and the ugly

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"I stayed here for about five days to attend a wedding in the surrounding area. Without doubt, this hotel has plenty to offer: adjacent beach, pool, tennis court, games room, lovely views, hearty breakfast, etc. Nevertheless, I would highlight several bad points that put some clouds over this Costa del Sol spa hotel. First and foremost, the fuse box in our room was dead on arrival (not a nice welcome!). While this was fixed promptly, the problem re-occured and was not sorted out for a whole 12 hours!! This was clearly related to a problem of awful service in the hotel; with any simple request, it would take at least 4 phonecalls (and some rudeness) before anything was done. Apart from the bad service, two other things really disappointed. First, there was a requirement to put a EUR20 deposit for pool towels. Very annoying and unusual in my experience. The second disappointment was the food (excl breakfast). The room service menu was on the sparse side, while the pastries in the lobby were on the stale side. On a more positive note, the Gazpacho in the restaurant was very tasty indeed. Finally, the highway location makes this hotel convenient if you have a car but if you don't, there is a large shopping mall (Miramar) less than minutes away on foot. All in all, a good hotel but the bad points really can spoil the fun."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of July 2006

Very nice hotel

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Hi, I stayed at the Beatriz Spa with my sister for my 30th birthday. We chose the hotel based on previous trip advisor reviews and the fact that the hotel had a spa attatched to it. On arrival we were told we had a 'beautiful' room and we were not dissapointed. The room was 4 floors high and had a view of the pool and the sea. The room was very spacious, clean and the towels changed as often as we wanted.
We had no problems with the sunbeds each day and had the pick of where we wanted to bathe. The hotel was very quiet apart from you could hear the road from some aspects. The Spa was very nice, treatments were quite expensive but I would recommend the facial massage! If you have a treatment you can use the hydro pool, jacuzzi etc for free but if you are not having a treatment you have to pay 12 euro.
Regarding location, if you're looking for somewhere away from the main part of Fuengirola then this is the place to go, however do bear in my that it is a 20 minute walk from the hotel to the start of Fuengirola. We made a mistake on our first day and crossed the foot bridge and tried to make our way into Fuengirola that way. You don't need to. If you turn left outside the gate which is in the pool area and head along the promenade you will head into Fuengirola. You will have to walk on the beach for 5 minutes but it looks like they are extending the promenade. There were a few undesirable characters on this walk and on one morning my sister noticed some vandalism had taken place the night before. There were quite a few people camping on the beach.
Overall I would recommend the Beatriz spa for someone looking for a quiet spa break in a nice hotel. Fuengirola isn't the prettiest of places however the Sangria is good and the weather was superb."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

Beautiful Alcatraz!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"This hotel is only about 2 years old and nothing has been spared in its construction and fittings. However, unless you have access to a car or only want to chill out by the pool it is like being in Alcatraz! The place is surrounded by iron railings, there is no direct access to the beach, there are no shops/bars/cafes nearby unless you cross an extremely busy road via one of two footbridges which take you a long way round. Our rooms were on the ground floor and opened directly on to the pool area (no privacy or sea view as enjoyed by higher floor rooms)
Fuengirola itself is walkable (half to one hour, depending on your fitness level) although there is a bus stop several hundred yards from the hotel and, because this is the last stop on the route from Marbella to Fuengirola, buses are sometimes full. (Always full on Tuesday which is street market day in Fuengirola). There is no courtesy bus, an omission which I thought was a big mistake. Taxis can be ordered via reception and cost about €12 to the centre of Fuengirola (the bus is €1.05).
Breakfast and dinner at the buffet bar are excellent (but watch out for the ceiling airconditioning vents under which you will freeze!).
We were supplied with a kettle on our third day together with teabags, coffee sachets and sugar but no milk ; after that we bought uht milk from the supermarket and kept it in the fridge.
Entertainment was either almost absent or of a low quality.
The staff were obliging and friendly.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay but would not go back there because of its remoteness and our lack of confidence in handling the road conditions in a hire car which I consider essential."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of May 2006

Second visit not as good as the first.

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"I reviewed this hotel after our first stay (dated 4th May 2005) so for specific details that may be more helpful; this is more of an update.

The hotel still looks and feels new (built in 2004). More older clientele, couples etc. There were a few families but I would still say it isn't particuarly suited for young children, despite the expansive pool area.

Once again no problems with sunbeds: would have breakfast, go and changed and get to the pool around 10.30am and have a huge choice of where to go. A couples of saddos did reserve but then there are always some!

The food in the A La Carte restaurant was fantastic (we ate there the first night as it's open until 11.30pm and our flight meant we didn't arrive at the hotel until 10pm). Romano Peppers stuffed with partridge stew, followed venison in a herb mustard sauce - delicious. Only thing that let it down was the service......the bottle of wine we ordered was bought to our table already opened, and we weren't offered a taste and it was just poured......doesn't sound to drastic to some, but for us it was definately not in keeping with a supposedly A La Carte restaurant. Another small thing was we went to ask for the dessert menu at 11.15pm, only to be told that the kitchen was closed. I felt this was a bit off seeing as there was us and several patrons still in the restaurant who were still eating their main course. Last year the service was much better, so whether it was an off day or not I don't know.

The same pool guy was there every day, and did an excellent job of keeping the wole area clean , tidy and safe.

One major drawback this time was our room location. Last year we were on the 4th floor and we requested a higher floor this time too, only to be given one on the first floor. They had given us a fresh fruit platter as repest guests though so that was nice. We did ask if there were any higher rooms but they didn't have any. We weren't too worried....that was until 5am that first morning when we were awakened by the sound of a screaming baby, and it's equally loud parents. The sound proofing is an absolute joke - above us we either had a catwalk show or an expectant father because it seemed the guests were constantly pacing up and down the room I'm guessing we had nobody above or next to us last year which is why we didn't hear anything. The screaming baby and loud parents went on the 3rd night, leaving us with a at least one morning where we could sleep beyond 6am - yes the sound proofing is that poor - we could hear every word. We asked if there was any chance to be moved on our second day but was told the hotel was full.

The hotel is within 15 mins of the centre with it's hudnreds of bars and restuarants; there is also a new footbridge along the beach meaning you can avoid the walk of death along the motorway to get into town.

In general, the hotel still looks and feels great, however, the service is not what is was. Last year they offered a courtesy room for those with late departure flights: basically a normal guest room that you can book to use for 30 mins to shower at the end of the day. They have stopped doing this now, so we had the option of either paying 50 euroes to extend of our room for 3 hours, or to use the spa area changing rooms. We used the spa shower without issue - and if we had done the same thing last year we wouldn't have known any different - I just feel for a hotel that supposed to be 4* superior, cutting a very convenient courtest room was crazy and another little nail in the coffin.

Still, overall we keep ourselves amused and had a good time - despite loving the actual feel of the hotel, the location and pool area, I may be hesitant in going back because of the lower service levels and fear of no sleep.

It's a shame Beatriz Palace - because you used to be so good!"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Hotel decor great but unhelpful staff+poor entertainment

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"Partner and I stayed in the hotel 13th-15th Feb half-board. Hotel certainly has wow factor upon arrival and has all the mod cons and delightful surroundings to make it truly worthy of its 4 *'s. However- although the hotel prides itself on having a Spa-this will come at at a cost to you, despite the fact you are a guest of the hotel. The admission into the Spa (for use of swimming pool, sauna and steam room only) will set you back 12 Euro's each: Expensive for a family! To top it all the opening hours of the Spa are 11-1 and then 4-7- therefore careful time management of the 3 hour break in between is advisable. When we complained to the hotel that we were not advised of the additional spa fee when booking we were told "not our problem". Hardly inspires excellent customer service. At our expense we then had to telephone AlphaRooms who admitted there is no warning to customers that the spa is at an additional cost.

Another example of poor customer service was when we enquired how much a taxi would cost to the airport. The reception staff simply shrugged and told us to speak to the driver. We then reiterated that we just wanted a rough idea in order for us to budget appropriately but we were given the same response.

Overall fantastic hotel but the staff let the place down!"

• Travel date: Thu 16th of February 2006

Just came back from a long weekend stayi...

Reviewed Mon 4th of February 2008

"Just came back from a long weekend staying at the Beatriz Palace Hotel & Spa in Feungirola, What a lovely hotel, really clean and rooms great, staff really friendly and breakfast was fantastic (eveything you want hot or cold). Didnt have time to use gym facilities but everything there you need. All rooms have balcony looking down on pool and facing the sea (fantastic view). Hotel is out of the main drag, but a nice stroll walking along the sea front to the main shopping area. The only downfall with the hotel is the walls are very thin, people slaming doors and you can hear people in the next room!!!!!!!!! and walking around and there conversation, so you are not guaranteed a good nights sleeps!!!!!!! BUT STILL HAD A WICKED TIME at the Beatriz hotel and a nice day trip to Marbella.

• Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2008

Hotels near Hotel IPV Palace & Spa

Stayed at Hotel IPV Palace & Spa? Share your insight.

Hotel IPV Palace & Spa is also called