Good

Ive just returned from a week at the El...

Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2008

"Ive just returned from a week at the El Paraiso Hotel on a half board basis. Initially I was very disappointed with the 4 star hotel. It was once probably quite grand with some great facilities but now feels run down and jaded. Its setting is indeed unique with spectacular views of the mountains to the rear and the coastline and Gibraltar on a good day. Our room was spacious with a large balcony overlooking the large pool and beautiful gardens. The rooms were very clean and the bed linen and towels changed daily. The staff were all friendly and helpful. My gripe was that the facilities I had expected were no longer available. The Rotunda restaurant on the sixth floor had closed some time before, the nudist sun terrace was now torn up roofing with no sun beds, the evening entertainment was no longer available and there were no tennis courts. The food was reasonable but not what I would expect of a 4 star hotel. Except for the weekend visitors the place was very quiet. Being located a mile or so from the main A7 meant that it was very quiet and peaceful. I would hope that TRH who are now running the hotel could invest some much needed cash into the place and return it to its former glory. The outdoor pool was excellent. As the week passed I grew quite fond of the place.

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2008