Sold as a 5*

Reviewed Mon 3rd of September 2012

"We booked this holiday with Lowcostholidays, who reassured us on the phone that it was a 5* and had all the facilities written on their website. We stressed the fact we needed 5* due to my 88 year old father with us. We phoned the hotel on several occasions before departure who reassured us an early book in, nice quiet rom etc etc.

The rooms were next to each other, stained carpets, dirty skirting boards, torn sheets, torn towels. Complained on numerous occasions. Only one restaurant albeit there is one in the Casino but was told by management it was not part of the hotel. Grounds lovely and pool staff helpful and friendly. 5* price paid for a 3* holiday. When I wrote to the hotel to complain they virtually called me a liar and that I should not have waited to I got home to complain. We asked for the Senior Manager who we complained to. Being basically called a liar is appalling. Our complaint is with the company who sold the holiday but disgusted with the response from the hotel re our complaints about the room, dirt, sheets etc. Transfer coach dropped us off on a mini roundabout not at reception."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2012

I havent even travelled yet and i am liv...

Reviewed Thu 18th of September 2008

"I havent even travelled yet and i am livid with Jetline! I asked for 7nights flying from Birmingham.I was told there was nothing and had to have 6nights from East midlands (70miles away). I then saw holidays on teletext with Lowcost, from Birmingham for 7nights for the same price that i paid Jetline for 6nights from the wrong airport!! I telephoned them and indeed they found me the exact holiday i wanted to Torrequebra hotel from B'ham for 7nights, same price. I asked to swop and they wouldn't do anything at all! I asked why i had been told they didn't have anything for 7 nights from B'ham? i was told it changes every day.I think that is rubbish and i was ripped off and inconvenienced!"

• Travel date: Thu 18th of September 2008

This hotel claims to be 5 star but in my...

Reviewed Wed 6th of August 2008

"This hotel claims to be 5 star but in my opinion should be downgraded to a 3 star. The reception area and restaurants were very nice but the rooms are small and shabby. The hotel air conditioning was in need of urgent updating and was virtually non existent in parts of the hotel. The hotel is not particularly convenient for shops and restaurants and required taxis and buses to get anywhere worth seeing. Although it boasts a beach front location, the beach is more like a bit of wasteland, littered with cigarette ends and rubbish with no facilities whatsoever. The service also left a lot to be desired and the evening entertainment was, to put it bluntly, pathetic. We almost came home early, and had the weather not been so lovely, we certainly would have done."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2008

My husband and I have just returned from...

Reviewed Sat 12th of August 2006

"My husband and I have just returned from this 5 star Hotel, and I rate it as a 3 Star Hotel at the most. We stayed as half board, and the selection of food was extremely poor, there was not enough variety. Every single day was virtually the same food, for instance carrots every day as a veg, of which should have been fresh, but were not, I believe they were out of a tin.

On the first day we had the evening meal, of which was dreadful, every night was a Barbecue, which meant that we had to walk over to huge stainless steel containers with a burning light underneath, take the top off (which was very heavy, I could not manage this) and spoon our food onto our plates, then carry them back to our table and this a 5 star Hotel. The food inside these huge containers was dreadful, just large chunks of chicken, pork, veal etc. and of course for the vegetables, carrots!

This was like a BBQ that most people would have had at home, not a 5 star Hotel.
We expected for the amount of money paid for this holiday, to be served at our table by waiters, not having to walk onto grass to a BBQ.

Also beware if you have a car, then you will have to pay 10 euros per day for the privilege of parking on the premises.

We paid extra for The Fortuna Show and Meal, and this was also disappointing, the Flamenco part of the Show was very good, but the second part of the show was scantily clad women, quite promiscuous in content, not really a family show, and they are advertising that children can enter free if with two paying adults.

There was no other entertainment at night, except a Pianist in one of the bars, of which I can't comment because we did not go. Drinks are also expensive, twice the price of other Hotels. I have stayed at many Hotels on the Costa Del Sol, and this is the first time we have been to a 5 Star, but this was meant to be a celebration for us, what a disappointment.

Next time we will be going to The Triton (nice and Central) or the Best Benalmadena (family Hotel), so take heed do not go to this Hotel!"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of August 2006

Overpriced Honeymoon with little service

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon. It was supposed to be a lovely beach vacation where we could relax, soak in the sun, and enjoy each others company. What we got was an overpriced hotel with little service and an overproduced Flamenco show that reminded me of the Ziegfield Follies.

When I booked, it was billed as this 5 star resort and Casino that would cater to your every whim. The hotel is very pretty and the large pool and seaside views are amazing. But the receptionists were curt bordering on rude, the food was ridiculously overpriced, and the beach...well, sucked. It was rocky and not what you would expect. We spent more time at the nicer public beaches which were about a 15 minute walk away.

In terms of location, the resort is kind of far from the city center and if you are not inclined to walk, the cabs can get to be expensive.

We did two excursions: a trip to Granada and a sailing trip. They were fun and reasonably priced for a touristic place like the southern coast of Spain.

I guess my disappoint stems from the fact that the place was desserted and it just didn't seem fun. We went at a bad time of year (it was windy and a little cold in late august). For this kind of money, I expected more. I would say that this was more like a 3 star hotel with a 5 star price tag."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006

Not 5 stars, noisy and bad beaches - but excellent restaurant

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"Do not expect the least trace of luxury in this hotel. It is okay for 3 or 4 stars, but it remains the secret of the authorities why this hotel was rated 5 stars.
The rooms are nicely decorated, but smallish. There is not even space for a proper sitting area. The bathrooms are made of cheap materials - and that in Spain where we enjoyed many 4-star-hotels with beautiful tiles or marble in the bathrooms! On the small balcony, you find cheap plastic chairs. Definitely not 5 stars.
The public areas are sort of barren, reminding of train stations or shopping malls after hours. The garden is beautiful, with two outdoor pools and one very warm indoor pool. There is also a sauna and a very small gym.
The hotel has access to two beaches, one uglier than the other. The western beach is rocky, the eastern beach has a mix of sand and pebbles.
For us, the most negative point was the constant noise from the 4-lane-road in front of the hotel, although it was low season and the traffic was not really heavy. We had rooms on the 7th floor and the noise was somehow amplified by the reflections of the surrounding rock walls and buildings. You could not hear the waves.
A beautiful surprise was the restaurant Café Royal. We got regional dishes, prepared in a light innovative way like turbot with saffron cream or venison with wild mushrooms in old wine sauce. Main dishes were pricy for Spanish standards (18 to 22 EUR), however they offered good wines at low prices, so the total bill remained reasonable. Service was excellent.
Overall, we will not come back because of the poor location."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of April 2006

A Quality Hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"I had already booked 5 nights at the Torrequebrada before reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I must say I was rather worried at the negative feedback, but now that I have stayed there I am quite puzzled. It is a five star hotel with all the facilities you would expect.The rooms are more on par with a 3 to 4 star but very comfortable and spotlessly clean. All rooms have a sea view from the balcony(mostly a side view but nevertheless a very good view). We only had bed and breakfast but what a breakfast! I cannot think of anything that was not on the buffet (even smoked salmon and champagne!)honestly the food was excellent. We did not eat dinner there only because it was expensive, quite understandable in a five star hotel.
The walk in to Benalmadena was about 15 minutes on a pavement next to a busy road, but with pleasant views on the other side.When you think about it all Spanish resorts have a busy road right through the centre and this was no different.
The hotel gardens were gorgeous and the view from the breakfast room stunning. If you search the net you can get very good prices for this hotel and you will get excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Excellent for golfing break

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"A group of 4 of us stayed there this week and we thought it was excellent. We got a great deal via Alpharooms and paid only £26 pppn for B&B. What a bargain.
Lovely room on 10th floor (1016) overlooking the sea and towards the distant marina. Great buffet breakfasts. Couldn't fault quality or quantity. Hotel very quiet at this time of year except for a small conference and about 40 guests in such a big place. Maybe that's why we got a deal. Nothing much to do in the immediate area but a 15 min. walk or short taxi ride takes you to the hot-spots. As we were golfing every day, we didn't use the hotel grounds much but they seemed nice enough. The weather was surprisingly pleasant for March (20- 28C) during the day and the golf was great at Torrequebrada, Santana and Rio Real courses.
The Casino was fairly quiet and the hotel bar was dead, but for our purposes it was a terrific choice. All the guys want to go back next time.
Rooms were standard but well maintained and appointed. The hotel is now a "Non Smoking" establishment which is great news for all sensible people."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of March 2006

Okay

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"We had never been to Spain (or Europe for that matter). No one in the hotel was friendly, food was not good. Rooms small. The location was far away from the main part of town. Not impressed at all with hotel. Casino was very small and machines were tight. I wished we had stayed closer in town."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Enjoyed this hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"The hotel is located a 5 minute taxi ride away from Benalmadena town centre and marina.
I was visiting with 8 other guys for a stag / golfing weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The hotel is well appointed and nicely reserved and quiet, which suited us fine. There were plenty of taxi's available to take us into the town centre for the wide variety of nightlife, bars & restaurants on offer.
The concierge staff were very helpful and spoke good english. The rooms were comfortable and the air conditioning was very effective, especially as the outside temp was pushing 40 degrees C plus.
The outdoor swimming pool was really nice, almost like getting into a warm bath.
The gardens were lovely and well stocked with enough secluded areas to sunbathe and relax with a good book and a cold beer.
The golf in the area is excellent and can be very challenging ( the shame of my carded 130 at the Torrequebrada Golf course, the boys won't let me forget that one).
We had a good late evening in the hotel casino ( free to residents ).
We all intend to go back again this year ( if our wives allow us )."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of February 2006

Never Again, a complete rip off!

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We booked this break to celebrate the New Year and we were astounded on arrival to discover that we had to pay an extra 230 euros for the gala meal on New Years Eve, surprise surprise we declined!. One of our party members is in a wheelchair and was taken through the kitchen to our table! We are seasoned travellers in Spain and the Balearics but this is one hotel we will not be returning to."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

will never use this hotel again

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"my wife and i had a villa close to this hotel, in sept 2005 we had a table booked to see the wonderfull show at la fortuna, dinner was inc, in 2004 we had a great night wonderfull show/dinner. we told the head waiter that my wife was highly allergic to strawberrys, he informed us that no strawberrys was to be served, this was a LIE. to cut this short ,we was forced on our docters advice to return home, this we did we lost a weeks holiday plus the high cost of the flight, and transport to cheltenham gen hospital, where my wife was admited. on emailing to report this to the hotel manager we was fobbed off by asking for a medical report to be sent to him,this was done, the MANAGER forgot to get back to us, we are going back to the same villa this year
Will WE Use This Hotel, (NO)that is a shame"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

Hotels near Hotel Estival Torrequebrada

Top traveller tips for Hotel Estival Torrequebrada

• Irene R by Irene R

"enjoy the pooo and ask for a superior or suite "

Hotel Estival Torrequebrada is also called