Hotel La Casa del Califa Hotel

Plaza Espana 16, 11150 Vejer de la Frontera Spain

Good

I can feel the stress dissapearing from my body just thinking about this place

"I'm slightly reluctant to write about this hotel ...as I almost don't want other people to know about it.

This place was about the cheapest hotel I've ever stayed in and one of the most charming. It wasn't the plushest of hotels, but was clean and beautifully decorated.

Entering this hotel is like walking through a mini village. I think to reach our room we had to go up and down different stairs, around corners and outside through little courtyards.

The little roof terraces were so relaxing - sit there with a Gin and Tonic and gaze across the small hill top town to the sea and then the mountains of Africa.

The restaurant at this hotel had one of the most romantic gardens I've ever been in. With lanterns and candles mixed in with the orange trees.

The village itself is quiet and beautiful - with an amazing square and a decent restaurant across from the hotel and a great little coffe bar where people sit outside and discuss the rights and wrongs of the world.

I cannot recommend a stay in this hotel highly enough."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of January 2006

Don't bother with any others, Casa de Califa is it!

"If you are going to Vejer, this is the place to stay -- period. We found ourselves without accomodation but my ever-resourceful girlfriend sorted it out with the desk-clerk at Casa De Califa and I'm sure glad she did! Total class and charm, lively, great restaurant, comfy and charming rooms, even a pool with a billion-dollar view that seems to go on forever -- right in the heart of Vejer! And the price was fair too.

The only cavaets I would mention are the following:

1. The hotel is a fascinating warren/maze of passages, tunnels, stairways, atriums, etc. I loved that. But if you have mobility problems, it could be hard on you. But frankly, I think you will feel it is worth it.

2. The hotel is situated right in the center of town and although the rooms are heavily sound-proofed, you will get some outside noise. For us, it was a child fighting with his parents in a nearby house as he got ready for school! No big deal, part of the cultural experience, but just so you know.

3. I think kids would LOVE staying at this hotel due to its aforementioned hideaways and stairways/tunnels, but it's an echoey place so the other guests might get irritated at your kids having such a grand time. It's important to really stress to the kids that while in the hotel, they need to be quiet while exploring common areas.

4. No satellite/cable TV. I don't go on vacation to watch TV, but relaxing at the end of the day it would be nice to see some English-language stations. But I reminded myself that I am in Spain, not England or the USA, so Spanish (and Morrocan!) TV it was! No big deal though.

5. Parking/driving in Vejer is not easy. Expect to park your car a good 5-minute walk away.

Having said that, it's a dynamite place that I would visit again if I was in Vejer. If you can't stay there, at least go to their Morrocan-themed restaurant -- to say it is a magical place is understating it! Enjoy!"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of November 2005

loved this hotel

Good

"We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in october and would stay here again.The surroundings are lovely. We had room 18 overlooking the plaza.Although this was a lovely room we will ask not to be given this room next time as it was very noisy at night with lots of people in the plaza until at least 2 am.We could also hear every one coming in the front door of the hotel.The roof terrace is a lovely place to sit and read and get some sun.The food at the Califa restaurant is very good but book a table during the day or you will not get one at night as it is very popular and they were turning people away when we were there.It was also a treat in October to be able to eat breakfast in the courtyard. they even had a machine so you can make your own freshly squeezed orange juice!They also have free internet access.We will be booking again for a longer stay very soon."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of October 2005

Exceeded Expectations

"I booked this hotel for 3 nights and wished I could stay for more. This is a delightful hotel in the centre of Vejer old town with a great atmosphere of it's own and fronting to a busy square with bars and restaurants but remarkably little noise.
Our room was downstairs and round corners with a beautiful view over the town in the early morning sun.
An excellent restaurant with a Moroccan influence and a generous breakfast buffet. Add to that a friendly smiling staff and what more could you ask for - a reasonable price you say and you have that too!!"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of August 2005

Loved the Califa

"My wife and I spent a wonderful two days at the hotel. The food, service and attention to detail made our weekend really special. Thank you all at The Califa Hotel"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2005

Lunch under a lemon tree

"If you want uniformed doormen and whirlpool baths, etc., then the Casa del Califa is not for you. But if you like the idea of old Andalusia in Moorish times, living in a collection of eighteenth century houses, beautifully converted into a hotel, with a perfumed garden ( the lemon trees were in flower when we were there at the end of April 2005), then you will love this. If you want to keep in touch with the new world, then you do have satellite TV! Oh dear.

Not only are the rooms comfortable, with a/c, hot or cold, if you want it, but Mohammed the chef, produces really superb North African and Lebanese dishes. And you can sit in the garden under the lemon or acadinia trees(watch out the fruits dont drop into your Berber soup!) The mixture of smoke from the charcoal grill and the lemon blossom created thoughts that my old Scottish grandmother would have strongly considered to be those of the devil himself.

What more can I say about a hotel that had just what we wanted. One thing more, the staff are super, friendly, and get things done. Not a lot of manyana here. Sorry I dont have any pics. But the hotel is in the Plaza d'Espagna in the old town and there are lots of pics on PC's of the fountain just outside the front door."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of May 2005

Really glad we stayed here

"Now this is an experience! We loved this hotel and the decor. When we were driving, I looked up the hill and couldn't believe that was were we were going! We drove right to the hotel according to the directions given. The hotel is charming. I am glad I didn't bring a big suitcase as you have to carry your bags up and down a set of very narrow stairs. The room was very nice. It smelled a bit musty and they do have a de-humidifier running. But, afterall, this room was built in the 12-13 century!!! Our room (number 2) was nicely furnished. I peeked into #1 and #3 and they were beautiful as well. We ate at the hotel and I had chicken and lemon tagine. (I have had a lot better!!!) Breakfast, which was provided, was basic and "hit the spot." This was the perfect place to spend the night. I wanted a taste of the culture and this did just that. You can really see the North African influences here. Very glad we found this hotel. I give it an excellent rating because when I think back to Spain, I think first of this pretty white town and lovely hotel, high up on the hill."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of March 2005

Vejers great hotel

"Finally we found the perfect hotel after two weeks of travelling in Andalusia. The Califa strikes the perfect balance of service, room quality, views and best of all price. We stayed in many 4 star hotels half as good at twice the price! All the staff speak english but they are locals so gave us all the help they needed. Staff were always friendly & we loved hearing the cleaning girls singing flamenco as they worked. The restaurant was always packed & we couldn't get a table the first night so if you go book ahead for a meal, especially nice in the garden tables. There are lots of stairs though so if you're elderly think twice before going there. Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of December 2004

Unusual, fun & comfortable

Good

"We discovered this hotel by chance in a lovely location overlooked by palm trees & medieval walls on one side & rolling hills on the other. Vejer itself is a delight but the hotel took us by surprise, behind an unassuming facade are a labrynth of narrow stairways, stone tunnels & secret courtyards that take you through 4 levels & rooms almost impossible to find. The hotel is made up of various joined together houses. The staff speak english so that's okay & they're happy to show you around. Our room overlooked a quiet pedestrian area, was a good size size with a persian carpet on the floor, comfortable beds & full length bath! There's a great room full of maps & the decoration is a blend of funky arab & spanish. Downsides are you need to carry your own luggage to your rooms & there are no lifts. Parking can be a problem but the hotel makes up for it. Otherwise it's way above it's 2* rating. Recommended!"

• Travel date: Thu 1st of April 2004

Great atmosphere, but some inconveniences

"Our hotel in Vejer, Casa de Calife, was very atmospheric with authentic Moroccan décor, but lacked service and professionalism. Once inside the building, you feel like your in a midevil castle with narrow winding staircases. The decor is absolutely outstanding! We got a double suite/Jacuzzi for 95 Euros including breakfast. Our room had NO view, other than a wall of an adjoining building, although some rooms (maybe superior doubles) have good views. Regular doubles start at 65 Euros.
The room had a 27" TV with English Language stations, as well as high powered stereo/CD player, minibar and hot water pot for making tea. The whirlpool bath for 2 worked great. The room was large with lovely traditional Moorish furnishing, but lounge was broken and couldn't be sat upon. Besides that, the only inconvenience in the room was no screens on the windows. The hotel does not have AC and as soon as we opened the windows hundreds of mosquitoes flew in. Even though we shut them right away, we woke up with more than 20 bites! Lovely outdoor patio restaurant enclosed by the walls of the hotel, but unfortunately they were unable to make literally half the things on the limited menu.
What we had was fine, but we were disappointed with the limited choices available. Undoubtedly this is the best place to stay in Vejer, but be prepared for minor inconveniences. Overall, what we felt most lacking about the hotel was service. All personnel were cold and impersonal and gave the impression that customers were a bother or interruption, as well as no offer to provide assistance with luggage, especially due to having to carry it up and down tiny staircases. If this place wants to be successful service really must be improved."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of July 2003

Hotels near Hotel La Casa del Califa Hotel

Stayed at Hotel La Casa del Califa Hotel? Share your insight.

Hotel La Casa del Califa Hotel is also called