ClubHotel Riu Chiclana

Urbanizacion Loma del Puerco, 11130 Novo Sancti Petri, Chiclana de la Frontera Spain

We have just returned from the Riu Chicl...

"We have just returned from the Riu Chiclana and had a great time. We were a couple with a five-year-old daughter and we all had a great time.
We have stayed at Riu hotels before and this was just as good.

Room - The room was clean and well equipped. My only fault would be that it looked a little dated but that is very picky and it was cleaned every day with fresh towels etc.

Food - The food was very very good with loads of choice and very high quality. There are three restaurants but we found they were all very similar with a buffet. The grill and Andalucian restaurants were fine but as I say, very similar to the main restaurant. Breakfast was probably their weakest meal but this was due to the types of feed being aimed at French and German guests who have slightly differing tastes at breakfast. Overall the food was excellent and our little girl ate very well and was able to try new things.

Entertainment - Again this was good and the staff worked hard all day and night. Sports etc went on all day and at night there was mini disco at 8.15 followed by a main show at 10. There are also several other bars if you want a little quiet.

Drinks - Brilliant, Bacardi, real coke, branded drinks. All included. There are drinks stations in bars and restaurants so you can help yourself which is great for the kids especially.

Pool - The two pools are very good with large shallow areas for kids and deeper areas for adults to swim properly. We saw the pools being cleaned most days so they were in good condition. We did have a problem finding a sun bed when late down a couple of days but generally if your up at a decent time you can get beds easily and a brolly as well.

Overall - I would recommend this hotel for families looking for a fun time and with plenty going on. It is very safe and next to a very good beach although we only walked up and down a couple of times. We flew to Jerez which is a small airport so was very quick and easy to pass through.

• Travel date: Sun 5th of August 2007

It was AMAZING! Me and my friend (both 1...

"It was AMAZING! Me and my friend (both 16) spent two weeks there and the accommodation was fantastic, as was the food and service.

The shows left a little to be desired but they had comical value! The disco was good and the staff who worked behind the bar were hilarious! All the entertainment staff were very talkative and always said hello (ola!).

There were quite a few English people there but the majority were Dutch or German, however it wasn't an issue as they all spoke superb English. The whole atmosphere was very relaxed and care free and altogether it was a really chilled, fun holiday and worth every penny! (A tip for girls though; the male entertainment staff are a little...frisky shall we say :-S beware!!! all pretty gorgeous of course! But don't be fooled!)

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Just returned from a wonderful holiday a...

"Just returned from a wonderful holiday at this hotel. I traveled with my Husband (32yrs), my Daughter (5yrs), my Son (10months), my parents and Aunt and Uncle who are all 60ish.It was my Parents and Aunt and Uncles second time at this hotel.

The food and drink selection was excellent and you could see all the food being prepared. There were 4 restaurants and 3 bars. We never saw anyone drunk and there was never any trouble. We went into 3 of the restaurants and the chefs were brilliant. Each night they prepared blended baby food for my Son which was great and he ate the lot!

The rooms were really clean and there was a fridge which was quite good as I could store my Sons milk in there. There was a TV which only had Sky News and CNN on it but I don't go on holiday to watch TV so that was fine. The safe was free, you just had to leave a deposit.

The entertainment was varied in the day if you wanted to take part and the hotel run children’s club was great. My Daughter went in every day and loved Sabrina who ran it. They also did a mini disco in the evening which she also went to. We even bought the CD so she could still do the dances when we got home. The evening entertainment was good and if it was a bit noisy you could always sit outside and still have a view. The entertainment team worked very hard.

The pool areas were spacious and plenty of beds and parasols. I didn't actually go in the water but a lot did. You could have pool towels for a deposit of 10euros and exchange them whenever you wanted to. The beach was lovely. There are quite a few steps to the beach but there is a slope too if you have a pram. Once you are down it is really nice and a lovely walk to the commercial centre (a few shops).

We did go to Chiclana on the bus which is about 35 mins away and only 1.05 Euros. We went on market day and got a few bits in the shops. The buses were clean and on time. You could go further I suppose but my Mum did all that last year (Cadiz, Conil and Seville).

All in all an excellent holiday. The staff were all polite, The hotel and grounds were lovely, the bar service was quick, the food (especially the puddings) was excellent. You could sit in the quiet or be part of the action and the ground were safe for the children - not near any roads.

I have read the previous review and I have to say I don't really agree with it. Yes there were kids but there wasn't a mass of noise. Everyone was just having a great time. Perhaps if you don't have kids and you like a quiet holiday you should go to an adult only hotel? I would recommend this hotel for families and couples alike. "

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

On the PLUS side Resort extremely clean,...

Good

"On the PLUS side
Resort extremely clean, rooms well appointed, however there were only 2 English news stations on the TV and no other English channels. Rooms very sound proof. Food was excellent, however a little repetitious as we were there for 2 weeks. Nightly entertainment was good with high energy level. Pools large, clean, and a little on the cool side, we never stayed in long, just got in, cooled off and got out. Lots of umbrellas for shade, bartending excellent and very fast. Staff pleasant and helpful and most spoke many languages.

On the MINUS side
Had to pay 4.5 euro a day to use umbrella and loungers down on the beach, 1 euro to use the fussball game and 1 euro to use the pool table. Rather steep incline down to the beach and water always turbulent.

However the worst complaint we had was the fact that there were 500 children, mostly under the age of about 7. We never ate one meal without hearing babies crying, children screaming and running, dishes breaking etc. Before the evening entertainment began the children would routinely run between the seats and up on the stage. The noise was deafening. If you have little children this is definitely the resort for you. If you want a quite relaxed holiday this is definitely NOT the resort to choose. As the children stayed up as long as the adults, they even brought toddlers into the disco, the notice never let up. From sunrise to long after sunset. Be prepared!!

• Travel date: Fri 7th of July 2006

Good Points: The hotel was fantastic. F...

"Good Points:
The hotel was fantastic. Food A1 loads of choice. 5 year old enjoyed club. Rooms very clean nicely done out. Reception very helpful

Bad Points:
Only 1 bad point and that was down to a special offer being offered to the Spanish. When we checked in so did half of Spain (so it seemed) so the whole place was mobbed with Spanish (so it was very loud). One day in the restaurant I heard a voice say thank god an English voice that is how bad it was. The entertainment was all in Spanish and we tried to join in but no seats were available it was like a mad house with most families having at least 30 members there.

Apart from this a brilliant hotel that couldn't be faulted."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

This brand new hotel opened last year an...

"This brand new hotel opened last year and we arrived two weeks after it had opened,the food was excellent how they cater on an all inclusive basis & still make money is beyond me,you can eat from seven in the morning till eleven at nite,most food is cooked in front of you!! drink(locally produced)beer and spirits soft drinks and cocktails from ten in the morning till two oclock the following morning!,all inclusive,the bars themselfs are something else and all the staff could not be more polite and helpfull,there is two fantastic pools,gym,indoor heated pool,sauna etc,activities day and nite all though some of the evening shows needed a bit more work but generally ok,around the hotel there is not much to do a few shops and restraunts but there is a fantastic golf course with two 18 hole courses and reasonably priced aprox £37 with buggy and hire of clubs.I recomend take your own & take a handicapp certificate.we have stayed at many other riu all inc hotels in the dom rep and this is as good without the long flight.this year 2004 there is nine of us going back might see you there."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of May 2003

My wife, my 2 kids and I went to this ho...

"My wife, my 2 kids and I went to this hotel just a few days ago, before I went I looked on to certain web sites to see what people had thought of the hotel. I looked at some reviews that were bad and good.

We were a bit nervy of what the location would be like and if my 2 kids, who are 17 and 15, wouldn’t be too bored because of the quiet location. When we got there the Thomson reps were great and we got into our rooms straight away, the staff didn’t speak much English but enough for us to get on fine!!

The hotel was massive, the food was lovely and the kids were very well entertained! Excellent hotel and I would recommend it to any one."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

Riu Chiclana Hotel is a beautifully clea...

"Riu Chiclana Hotel is a beautifully clean, efficient and welcoming hotel. We have had several all-inclusive holidays and this ranked amongst the best. The accommodation was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful and the food first class.

Our child aged 12 was well occupied through the variety of well-organised activities and the Thompsons reps were very good. The pools were clean and there were ample sun beds and the free laundered towels were excellent

A first class holiday in a first class hotel - excellent

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

This hotel is just over 1 year old. Fo...

"This hotel is just over 1 year old.

Food is very good with choice of main restaurant and 2 others, which you book in advance at the hotel.

The hotel is kept spotlessly clean with a large army of cleaners working all day, the reception staff are very pleasant and go out of their way to help you.

It has two lovely outside pools and one indoors, if you wish you can stroll down to a lovely beach and use body boards to ride the waves.

The rooms are spacious and pleasant with welcome air conditioning, there is a fridge in each room to put cold drinks in although this should be a mini bar like in the Riu meringue in Dominican Republic where it was filled daily with soft and alcoholic drinks. Also there are no tea making facilities in the rooms and I found it a bit of a pain getting my tea from the bars/drinks machines and taking them to my room.

There are different things to take part in at the hotel daily if you wish, you must go to either take part in salsa lessons or watch its very entertaining, which brings me to the evening entertainment, I cant comment on the children’s entertainment as we didn’t use it because there was just the two of us, but the adult entertainment was very poor most of it was spoken in Spanish or German.

The hotel has a small percentage of English guests, the main percentage is German, then Spanish, and although you aren’t supposed to reserve sun beds at this hotel the Germans just cant seem to get out of this bad habit and its quite amusing watching them bag there space before breakfast.

We hired a car for the duration of our holiday , but we also took advantage of the excursions offered to us by our travel rep to give my husband a break from driving.

There aren’t any shops near by to walk to so you would need to get a bus or use a car as this area is mostly 4 & 5 star low rise hotels.

We enjoyed our holiday here very much it’s a lovely unspoilt area of Spain and the Spanish people made you feel very welcome"

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

If you are looking for a relaxing time c...

"If you are looking for a relaxing time clean and friendly place within walking distance of a very good and sandy beach look no further than this complex. Nothing was too much trouble if you wanted to join in all the activities you could ranging from tennis water polo and Croquet !!!!

This was my first experience with this group of hotels and I can recommend this one _ Lots of food and drink but if you want to stay slim and fit there’s plenty of exercise. Just soak up the sun and enjoy. My daughters are 21 & 17 they just wanted to veg out .. I believe they did!!! An outing to Seville is not to be missed!!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Hotels near ClubHotel Riu Chiclana

Stayed at ClubHotel Riu Chiclana? Share your insight.