Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel

Calle Virgen de los Milagros 27, 11500, El Puerto de Santa Maria Spain

Felt privileged

"My wife and I have stayed several times in this hotel. Despite some of the criticisms above, the fact is that Monasterio San Miguel is truly unique and makes you feel as if you were in a Parador for half the price. Not everyone appreciates Parador style accomodation, but if you do, there is no comparison with other hotels in this town, except of course the "Duques of Medinaceli" for double the price."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of February 2006

Honeymooning in the Monasterio

"Hello !
We stayed here for the 1st week of our honeymoon in early June.
If you're after a relaxing, peaceful break then this Hotel should definitely be considered as an option. (This might only apply in June as the Spanish tourist season starts from July)

The best rooms are definitely pool side view as you can relax and enjoy morning coffee/evening beer from the balcony as well as keeping an eye on the Mrs at the pool !! ;-)

I really couldn't get over the design of the Hotel, absolutely stunning !! It's an old Augustinian Monastery and there are plenty of beautiful original paintings and statues on almost every corridor of the Hotel...

I'll never forget the 1st time I closely studied the design of some of the oil paintings in one of the corridors only to be absolutely awe struck at the magnitude and beauty of the main oil painting near the entrance !! (See attached picture - must have been at least 20 feet tall !)

Our room was quite standard for a Hotel, decent size, good bathroom, good aircon and nice little balcony.

Ate in the restaurant 1 night but was really disappointed.....We love our Mediterranean food and were a little surprised when our cold scallops arrived down with a gravy sauce ?!?!
Also had a salmon pie which was more like salmon mash to me !!
The breakfast however is fabulous.....Big buffet with plenty 2 choose from. ( Just make sure your there before closing, we were 10 minutes over and they wouldn't serve us ! )

The pool is a decent size and it's situated in a beautiful little garden.

The village of El Peuro isn't the prettiest but it does have a handful of decent restaurants and bars -
Would recommend checking out the main church in El Puerto - beautiful design.
If u like seafood, run down to Romeracho ( not sure about the spelling).
Would really recommend taking the Ferry over to Cadiz instead where your absolutely spoilt for choice.....
The Ferry takes about a half an hour and only runs till 8pm or so but treat yourself to a cab back for about 20 euro..
Cadiz town itself is beautiful, get lost in one of the many narrow little streets and have a few tapas along the way !
Always ask the Hotel staff about entertainment and they'll gladly provide information about local festivals and shows...
Make sure to visit one of the Bodega's (Brandy and Port distilleries), well worth the tour.
We took the train up 2 Jerez de la Fontera - only takes about 20 minutes and the station is about a 15-minute walk up the road.
We weren't that impressed with the city - quite industrial but still worth the visit for Flamenco and Tapas...The famous Jerez distilleries are also located here..

This Hotel/village wouldn't really suit kids as there are no activites for them !!!

Enjoy - Johnny"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of January 2006

Like staying in a national park lodge

Good

"I would equate this hotel to a national park lodge in the US - great public areas but very tired rooms. Now, the beds were clean and comfortable with triple sheets and nice linens, but the room itself was so plain and the bathroom was from the 50's. Tiny and nothing more than functional. Good strong shower though! Our room overlooked the main street and it was noisy. Lots of motos late at night and construction in the daytime.

Now, despite that I had a great stay. I really enjoyed the public areas - great religious art on the walls that really made you feel like you were in a monestary, beautiful old furniture, a pretty garden, a nice courtyard in the center. The staff was great but they don't speak very much English. I made a mistake on my check in date and they were wonderful about accomodating us and changing the reservation. And the breakfast buffet was incredible - a must do, especially after nothing but cafe con leche and pan tostada for breakfast for a week. I cannot say enough about the fabulous breakfast - just a wonderful spread and everything was fresh and good. We lingered for over an hour with a relaxing view of the garden. The hotel was convenient to the tapas bars of Puerto de Santa Maria - just a 10 minute walk. Get directions though! The main street name outside the hotel was different on the map and confusing."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of November 2005

A strange hotel

"If you are interested in eclesiastical history go for a night and have a look. The building itself is big and sprawling- take a compass to find your way round or you'll never do the same route twice. The rooms are tired- a bit like a 70's Forte hotel as is the pool area. The restaurant and cafe bar are ok. The service from reception is very good- they are polite, friendly and prompt.
The hotel is in the middle of a very unattractive sprawling urban town, close to Jerez bycar if you want to visit the sherry houses."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of August 2005

Monasterio San Miguel - Up to the Mark (Just)

"We spent a good five days at the Monasterio in Aug 05 and would recommend the hotel setting for anyone looking for impressive public rooms with an authentic history, attentive service and an inviting pool and bathing area. However, unlike other Trip Advisor reviewers of this hotel, we did not get to stay in the highly prized rooms with balconies overlooking the pool. Our balcony overlooked a "courtyard garden" - sadly, overgrown, with trees reaching above our second floor room, brushing onto our balcony and blocking any view and much light. Though next to the (noisy) lift shaft, our pleasant room (superior twin) had effective and much needed air-conditioning. Thankfully, the comforting noise of the air-con unit drowned out the comings and goings of the lift!! With so much to see locally in Puerto, Jerez and Cadiz and for us, in Seville, we did not stay much in the hotel using it as an excellent base. When we were in our room, it would have been a pleasant distraction to have had at least one English-speaking TV channel, other than Eurosport!

We had an enjoyable stay at the Monasterio (ate out all lunchtimes and dinners - so much choice to eat locally, hotel restaurant was v. expensive by comparison). Next time, we would make certain that we secured the poolside/garden rooms or would go elsewhere.

Nice hotel, pity about out particular room."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of August 2005

Terrible value for money

"We have stayed often in Puerto de Santa Maria-Cadiz. Due to the high demand of hotels as the horse fair was on-we had to book in to the Monasterio San Miguel. What a let down!! The air-conditioning was so old..and made our stay so uncomfortable-then theres the food!! The chef REALY!! needs to learn how to cook!! A very over rated hotel, the JALE GROUP realy need to visit this place and re-think. The pool was very cloudy looking, so we never had a swim in there! MY recommendations, for a terrific stay is at Hotel Dunas-The rooms are spotless-the food is terrific-the pool glistens clean like diamonds, and the staff are very helpful and friendly***** NO! I am not an owner, or have shares, but do want others to get value for money and enjoy their holiday..so give San Miguel a wide berth. Go to Romerijo's in town for the finest fish you have ever tasted!!
Go look at their website too** ----....If you buy from the shop then sit at the table-you get sooo much more value for money-a skinflint I am NO!!!! just get to ustilize my money and go away for short breaks every 4 weeks!! use ryanair as a webiste for cheapie flights...
I REALY DO GET TO GET AWAY END ENJOY MYSELF..MAKE SURE YOU DO TOO****************** HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE..FROM PAT IN THE UK"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005

A slight let-down

"Hmm - not quite what I'd been expecting.

Having stayed in a really beautiful small hotel in Seville with my wife, I was a bit disappointed with the Monasterio. While you couldn't argue with the location (ideally situated for everything in this beautiful town, except the beach) the hotel lacked any personal touch. The staff were not in any way unpleasant, but the emphasis seemed to be on professionalism rather than personal warmth. The pool was closed almost every time we wanted to use it (late March; temperature in mid 70s) for no apparent reason, and the hotel bar/cafe was overpriced with poor quality food (we did not try the formal restaurant which looked pricey but good). As it was Easter week when we stayed the vast majority of guests were Spanish holidaymakers (usually family groups), although one well-known premiership player was there too.

The best aspects (apart from the location and the elegance of the corridors and terraces) were the buffet breakfast (included in the price) and the big deep bath. The crucial negagtive factor was the room itself with an uncomfortable bed and pillows and a real 'business' hotel feel. Compared to my free internet access in a smaller more modest hotel in Seville, 7E for half an hour here was expensive. That feeling of being in a business hotel that could be anywhere in the world was hard to shake off whenever we were in the room or reception.

Not bad, but not great either."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of March 2005

A wonderful experience.

Good

"Hi, I had a wonderful stay at this gorgeous hotel for my partner's 50th birthday, what can I say! The hotel is beautiful with lovely spacious bedrooms & well appointed bathroom. We had a view of the pool ,which was unfortunately closed for the winter in October. The corridors are splendid & decorated with paintings. the restaurant is beautiful, and the food delicious! There is a separate room for breakfast which is excellent. We drove up from Malaga, but have now discovered a direct flight to Jerez would be better. A car is not really necessary as there is a Rail station 5 minutes walk from the hotel with a regular service to both Cadiz & Jerez. It costs 12 Euros per night to park in the garage but we found a space out side which was OK. There are lots of bars & restaurants in Santa Maria, which was bigger than I expected. Three days was not enough, I am definitely going back."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of November 2004

A most enjoyable stay

"We visited the hotel in July 2004. It was a wonderful experience. The receptionist spoke excellent English, the staff were attentive and friendly and the building is magnificent. I cannot agree with the negative views expressed by other travellers. I would be delighted to return to this hotel and heartly recommend it to those who enjoy superb architecture, delicious food and tranquil surroundings."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of November 2004

Absolutely great. Would come again

"Me and my girlfriend spent a weekend in El Puerto de Santa María some four months ago. We stayed at this hotel, and all I have to say about it is that we had an incredible time there. Our room was absolutely luxurious, perfectly acommodated, spacious, comfortable, clean... in a word: awesome. I find it highly recomendable for everyone who apreciates the fact of being in a good hotel. It wasn't just good. It was simply brilliant, great."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2003

Hotels near Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel

Stayed at Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel? Share your insight.

Monasterio De San Miguel Hotel is also called