Melia Atlantico Isla Canela by Melia

Avenida de la Mojarra s/n, 21409, Ayamonte, Isla Canela Spain

Nice Holiday

Reviewed Thu 16th of June 2011

"We were on 1st floor overlooking gardens next to tennis courts.Room was exactly as photo in First Choice brochure.We never saw a mosquito,in fact at 3-4 pm the winds came up, not mosquito weather. Didn't need air con.Left patio door open 3" at night, pulled across blinds and curtain. There was a fan above the bed. The food was varied, excellent and in a hotel of that size of course you have to line up at 6.30 and 8.30 People knew when they booked it was buffet style. The salads catered for English, German & Spanish visitors, we had fresh prawns, smoked salmon and caviare, various cold meats. Lovely plaice on the bone, fish do have bones (fish fingers don't).Wine was no more expensive than in good restaurants in England.Big breakfast, big evening meal, only needed a sandwich at lunch times.Yes the entertainment wasn't good, we saw some of it or went for a stroll or watched English TV or read in our room.
Rep. Tanya and hotel Management excellent, couldn't ask for more. Can't see why some people would find fault with this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2011

Not a 4 Star Hotel

Reviewed Thu 9th of June 2011

"The hotel is in a beautiful location. I would add that the whole development in built on marsh land so expect to be bitten by very nasty mossies. The Thomson brochures show images of the larger rooms which are not the ones that Thomson customers stay in. The rooms are alot smaller but comfortable. The staff are excellent and friendly. We went on a half board basis so had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The food is awful. Where do I start; 'chefs' cook meat and fish on hot plates. The meat and fish is either raw or over cooked, tough/cheap meat and fish with loads of bones. Everynight had the same spread of dull salad options. The paella tasted only of saffron as there was little or no seafood in the rice. The desserts were tasteless. I would suggest you eat at the nearby restaurants. My guess is the hotel manager is trying to make cuts and the food is suffering. The air conditioning is switched off during the night (notice the small print in the Thomson brochure that the manager puts on air conditioning at his discretion!!!). The hotel looks like a 4 star hotel and the staff make it a pleasant experience - however the very poor food and penny pinching of the air conditioning does not make this a 4 star hotel. Drinks are very expensive, at dinner they charge 12 euros for a wine that costs 3.25 euros from the nearby expensive local store! The hotel charges 2.20 euros a day for the use of the safe which we thought was excessive. The entertainment is so awful it is rather comical. "

• Travel date: Tue 7th of June 2011

Just spent two lovely weeks in this hote...

Reviewed Mon 25th of August 2008

"Just spent two lovely weeks in this hotel with our two children aged 15 and 13. The hotel is even better than the video. The staff were exceptional, nothing was too much trouble. The food was amazing - if you don't need to go on a diet before you go you certainly will by the time you leave. The hotel is lovely and close to the beach so you can go backwards and forwards between the beach and pool. There are plenty of sunbeds although some of the Germans in the hotel reverted to type by putting their towels on the sunbeds as the sun came up!

The rooms were an excellent size although they do vary slightly. Our room was facing the sea/river and the views were just stunning.

The evening entertainment was rather "pathetic" and be warned there is not a lot else to do in the evening. The resort is small and quiet with just a few bars.

My only other criticism was the cost of the drinks in the hotel - you can easily run up massive bar bills so I would suggest you pay as you go rather than sign for them and pay at the end of your stay.

Finally, we booked our own flights and taxi transfers and saved a lot of money from the Thomson package price so worth considering.

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

• Travel date: Mon 25th of August 2008

Just returned from 10 day stay at Riu At...

Reviewed Mon 7th of July 2008

"Just returned from 10 day stay at Riu Atlantico.As always difficult to fault Riu hotel: accomodation spotlessly clean very comfortable if on small side. Maid service excellent. Champagne or OJ on arrival, reception staff friendly and helpful, multi-lingual. We stayed on half board basis, plenty of choice hot and cold food, show cooking every meal. Only criticism maybe breakfast milk warm and had to pay for water with meal. Not good choice of hotel maybe for older children or teenagers as nothing to do-resort exceptionally quiet. No shortage of sun loungers and direct access to beach. Entertainment at night not very good- a bit staid. Would I go again- possibly not but only because bit too quiet; good choice if you want total relaxation though! "

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

This holiday was fantastic. It is the mo...

Reviewed Sun 19th of August 2007

"This holiday was fantastic. It is the most relaxing holiday we have ever had. The hotel is very luxurious and spotlessly clean. Our room was cleaned every day and to a very high standard. The hotel staff were brilliant and went out of their way to make sure your stay was perfect.

Isla Canela is a quiet place with only a few shops and bars, and a lovely little harbour. I stayed in this hotel for one week with my husband and our teenage son. At the time of our stay the hotel was fully booked but it never felt crowded, and we managed to get a sunbed by the pool when we needed one. There is a beautiful beach at the back of the hotel, where you could rent 2 sunbeds and an umbrella for 6 euros per day. There was also a beach bar, where you could buy meals and drinks.

I thought I would save the best bit until last, the meals at the hotel were amazing, with so much choice for breakfast and dinner every day! But beware you will put on weight!!!! The only problem we had was having to come home, we wished we had booked two weeks instead of one, and we will definately be returning to the Riu Atlantico."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Great Hotel, great weather, great people and a great holiday ....!!!!

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Having recently returned from the Riu Atlantico I just wanted to add a few comments which I hope might be useful for others when deciding on their holiday destination. The hotel is most definitely "out on a limb" with just a few local bars situated nearby for those who want something other than the hotel entertainment in the evenings. So - if you are looking for a busy/actioned packed night life then forget it...

Having said that if you want a genuine 4 Star hotel which is spotlessly clean, which offers an excellent choice and standard of food, which is situated 2-300 yards from a 7 mile stretch of beach and whose staff are undoubtedly the friendliest /most helpful and professional team it has been my pleasure to meet during my many years of travel then you'll love it just like we did..

For those who like plenty to do in the day the animation team are excellent and make all the usual activities great fun. For others who prefer a quiet time around the pool then you'll be pleased to know that you don't have to rush down at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed as they are in plentiful supply and you even get to change your pool towels every day which is an added bonus.

All in all this was definitely good value for money and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. A great time was had by all.......try it for yourself - you'll love it."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of September 2006

Loved, absolutely brilliant hotel group!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"This hotel was brilliant! We had been on holiday to a Riu hotel the previous year: Riu Caribe in Mexico, and the loved it!
So as a family we decided to book with the group again, this tim to Spain. And we didn't regret it one bit!

The hotel staff treated us like royalty, on arrival, we were greeted with Champagne, for the adults, and orange juice for the little ones, already proving they could cater for all.

Reception worked really quickly to take down our details, and give us our room key a.s.a.p. The porter took our cases up to our room, he was very helpful, and kind. Later we went down to diner to find our table was amazing! It was positioned directly in front of the pool, with a view of the beach in the near distace! It was very pituresc! The hotel evening entertainment is really good, it starts at around 10:00, 10:30, and before that there are some singers, which are the only hotel let down, but we soon forgot about that as we made so many friends.

The next we found that there was every type of breakfast you could imagine. Dinner, and lunch were also the same, as I said before everybody was catered for! My kids loved it!

As they did the swimming pool! We got involved with all the reps, and the games and had a wonderful holiday! I was named at the end of the 2 week Miss Atlantico, my husband had many a diploma, and so did my daughter who also made about 40 friends! Which I will say I was very suprised! Haha.

The hotel staff were the best I have ever seen, nothing was too much trouble, they were never rude, or disrespectful, and they were all down to earth and happy to help you with any problems!

We loved this holiday so much that we are goin back next year!
Thanks for Readin, I hope you visit this hotel, and have as much fun as I and my family did, and our new found friends, from the holiday!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Akin to a Princess

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Having stayed at many Princess resorts throughout Spain, I would say this was comparable. The food was of the highest standard but we didn't appreciate having to queue - it was a bit like a school canteen at times.

The pool was rather on the small side and very cold, although warmed up throughout the day. There was still a "towel"sytem with regards to sunbeds and the Germans did the usual - got up at the crack of dawn and bagged theirs then went off shopping for the day! I did mention this to one of the staff, but they didn't seem that bothered. No lilos or pool inflatables were allowed.

The beach was very close and beautiful, although beware of strong currents as there was a few near-misses while we were there.

The cleanliness was arther impressive although they do seem to have a rather large problem with ants which took residence in our room - the maid provided us with a tin of Raid!!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I wouldn't have a problem returning as it was nicely located and not too many football-shirts were present!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Just got back from the Riu Atlantico aft...

Reviewed Tue 15th of August 2006

"Just got back from the Riu Atlantico after a 2 week holiday with wife and 13 year old son. The hotel was very good from the room, to pool, to service, to meals. The Animation team lead by Fabio was tremendous - they put in a lot of effort during the day and evening to keep all entertained. The food was excellent, but after 2 weeks we were glad to go home to have less fixed meal times and to loose some weight! The gym wasn't of much use with most of the equipment dated or not working. This a lovely part of Spain very close to the Portuguese border. The long and wide beaches are splendid.

The area is frequented mainly by Spanish which makes a very pleasant change from the more developed Costas. Many trips available - Seville 1 hour away, boat trips, a wonderful river, 4x4 trips in Portugal countryside. This is not a good place for snorkeling or scuba diving due to the wide sandy beaches, however an hour and a half down the road at the Trivoli Dive Center in Portugal diving is available. The local town of Ayamonte is okay for shopping and pleasant. There is a small commercial center and marina 5 minutes walk from the hotel with shops, restaurants and bars.

Overall an excellent hotel and holiday and felt very safe at all times of day and night. Only downside was the abrupt and unhelpful Thomson rep, who claims to be an excellent rep - Thomsons please re-assess what is the purpose of your reps as they (the UK TUI Reps) seem to just be there to sell trips, which are also available either through the hotel or locally. The German TUI rep had a wider selection of trips available, and seemed to be more approachable!"

• Travel date: Tue 15th of August 2006

My Husband and I have just returned from...

Reviewed Thu 10th of August 2006

"My Husband and I have just returned from the Riu Atlantico and had the most wonderful holiday ever. Everything about this Hotel is just fantastic and could not be faulted in any way. The whole place was absolutely spotless 24 hours a day, the rooms were of excellent quality and so were the all the hotels facilities.

The swimming pool was one of the largest we have ever seen and exceptionally clean. The staff were very attentive and dealt with any question or query immediately. There was a children’s club run twice a day (except Weds) plus there were children’s activities throughout the day. The food was absolutely amazing both at breakfast and dinner. There was a different choice every night and was not repeated the whole week we were there. It was all absolutely fresh and cooked in front of you. If you are thinking about visiting this Hotel I can guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

We booked this hotel direct on the Riu website, booking our own fights and private taxi transfer and saved a fortune on the Thompson Package price. This was the first DIY holiday we had done and would never book a package holiday again! "

• Travel date: Thu 10th of August 2006

A great all round holiday

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Having booked the hotel directly via the Riu website, I was a little concerned to read reviews from other holidaymakers that the Riu Atlantico had been overbooked and their bookings were not being honoured. Thankfully this didn't happen to us and I feel truly sorry for anyone missing out on such a great hotel. All the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, and as so many have said before, the food is of an exceptional quality.
Perhaps one of the highlights of our stay (we had our 19 and 16 year old daughters with us) was Seville Football Team staying and training at the hotel for the duration of the stay. You certainly get the feeling with this hotel that only the best is good enough!
The bedrooms were fine and cleaned, like the rest of the hotel, to a very high standard.
Overall this was a great family holiday in a superb location, with a beach that is hard to beat."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Another great holiday with the Rui Group

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Date 9th July 2006
English people resident now in Spain.

We have just returned from our holiday at the Rui Atlantico and would recommend it to anyone. First class service, food, accommodation - just like all the other Rui hotels that we have stayed in over the years.

If you just want to relax and un-wind then go to Rui Atlantico.

We booked with the central booking service and found them to be excellent and we drove down from the Costa del Sol, where we live.

Our only "winge" was the time of the dining room evening meal times - it would have been better to have second sitting at 8.30pm and not 9.00pm as it would give people time to go out for a stroll and perhaps to visit one of the small bars before retireing for the evening.
We are not into entertainment at the hotel.

A visit well worthwhile."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of July 2006

Hotels near Melia Atlantico Isla Canela by Melia

Stayed at Melia Atlantico Isla Canela by Melia? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melia Atlantico Isla Canela by Melia

• Bronzed by Bronzed

"Lovely restaurants nearby when you have had enough of the food at the hotel. "

• Marg & Bert by Marg & Bert

"Area surrounding hotel, clean, quite in June, flat and idea for a stroll.There are buses, tour operator trips and a boat runs every hour to the other side of the river. "

Melia Atlantico Isla Canela by Melia is also called