Melia Atlantico Isla Canela

Avenida de la Mojarra s/n, 21409, Ayamonte, Isla Canela Spain

Good

Great Hotel, great weather, great people and a great holiday ....!!!!

"Having recently returned from the Riu Atlantico I just wanted to add a few comments which I hope might be useful for others when deciding on their holiday destination. The hotel is most definitely "out on a limb" with just a few local bars situated nearby for those who want something other than the hotel entertainment in the evenings. So - if you are looking for a busy/actioned packed night life then forget it...

Having said that if you want a genuine 4 Star hotel which is spotlessly clean, which offers an excellent choice and standard of food, which is situated 2-300 yards from a 7 mile stretch of beach and whose staff are undoubtedly the friendliest /most helpful and professional team it has been my pleasure to meet during my many years of travel then you'll love it just like we did..

For those who like plenty to do in the day the animation team are excellent and make all the usual activities great fun. For others who prefer a quiet time around the pool then you'll be pleased to know that you don't have to rush down at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed as they are in plentiful supply and you even get to change your pool towels every day which is an added bonus.

All in all this was definitely good value for money and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. A great time was had by all.......try it for yourself - you'll love it."

• Travel date: Fri 8th of September 2006

Loved, absolutely brilliant hotel group!

"This hotel was brilliant! We had been on holiday to a Riu hotel the previous year: Riu Caribe in Mexico, and the loved it!
So as a family we decided to book with the group again, this tim to Spain. And we didn't regret it one bit!

The hotel staff treated us like royalty, on arrival, we were greeted with Champagne, for the adults, and orange juice for the little ones, already proving they could cater for all.

Reception worked really quickly to take down our details, and give us our room key a.s.a.p. The porter took our cases up to our room, he was very helpful, and kind. Later we went down to diner to find our table was amazing! It was positioned directly in front of the pool, with a view of the beach in the near distace! It was very pituresc! The hotel evening entertainment is really good, it starts at around 10:00, 10:30, and before that there are some singers, which are the only hotel let down, but we soon forgot about that as we made so many friends.

The next we found that there was every type of breakfast you could imagine. Dinner, and lunch were also the same, as I said before everybody was catered for! My kids loved it!

As they did the swimming pool! We got involved with all the reps, and the games and had a wonderful holiday! I was named at the end of the 2 week Miss Atlantico, my husband had many a diploma, and so did my daughter who also made about 40 friends! Which I will say I was very suprised! Haha.

The hotel staff were the best I have ever seen, nothing was too much trouble, they were never rude, or disrespectful, and they were all down to earth and happy to help you with any problems!

We loved this holiday so much that we are goin back next year!
Thanks for Readin, I hope you visit this hotel, and have as much fun as I and my family did, and our new found friends, from the holiday!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Akin to a Princess

Good

"Having stayed at many Princess resorts throughout Spain, I would say this was comparable. The food was of the highest standard but we didn't appreciate having to queue - it was a bit like a school canteen at times.

The pool was rather on the small side and very cold, although warmed up throughout the day. There was still a "towel"sytem with regards to sunbeds and the Germans did the usual - got up at the crack of dawn and bagged theirs then went off shopping for the day! I did mention this to one of the staff, but they didn't seem that bothered. No lilos or pool inflatables were allowed.

The beach was very close and beautiful, although beware of strong currents as there was a few near-misses while we were there.

The cleanliness was arther impressive although they do seem to have a rather large problem with ants which took residence in our room - the maid provided us with a tin of Raid!!

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I wouldn't have a problem returning as it was nicely located and not too many football-shirts were present!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

A great all round holiday

"Having booked the hotel directly via the Riu website, I was a little concerned to read reviews from other holidaymakers that the Riu Atlantico had been overbooked and their bookings were not being honoured. Thankfully this didn't happen to us and I feel truly sorry for anyone missing out on such a great hotel. All the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, and as so many have said before, the food is of an exceptional quality.
Perhaps one of the highlights of our stay (we had our 19 and 16 year old daughters with us) was Seville Football Team staying and training at the hotel for the duration of the stay. You certainly get the feeling with this hotel that only the best is good enough!
The bedrooms were fine and cleaned, like the rest of the hotel, to a very high standard.
Overall this was a great family holiday in a superb location, with a beach that is hard to beat."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of July 2006

Another great holiday with the Rui Group

"Date 9th July 2006
English people resident now in Spain.

We have just returned from our holiday at the Rui Atlantico and would recommend it to anyone. First class service, food, accommodation - just like all the other Rui hotels that we have stayed in over the years.

If you just want to relax and un-wind then go to Rui Atlantico.

We booked with the central booking service and found them to be excellent and we drove down from the Costa del Sol, where we live.

Our only "winge" was the time of the dining room evening meal times - it would have been better to have second sitting at 8.30pm and not 9.00pm as it would give people time to go out for a stroll and perhaps to visit one of the small bars before retireing for the evening.
We are not into entertainment at the hotel.

A visit well worthwhile."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of July 2006

Wonderful hotel except for the smoke

"We stayed at the Riu Atlantico based on recommendations from friends and with one exception I wouldn't fault it. We went independently by booking online with RIU and flying to Faro with Easyjet (although Faro is in Portugal it's the best airport by far as it only took us an hour to get to the hotel by using one of the quietest motorways I've ever seen).

Other people have described the hotel and I agree with them. The meals are excellent in both quality and quantity and the prices are reasonable. I'd recommend second sitting for dinner as you aren't rushed to get in and there's not much to do anyway in the evenings. If you want a lively hotel with lots of nightlife in the area try elsewhere. This is a hotel to relax in. The pool is great (if cold to start with) and the entire staff are very friendly. Our room was well furnished and very comfortable. Although we'd just booked a standard room we had a room overlooking the sea. There's a fridge/minibar. We used it to store milk, soft drinks etc without touching the minibar products.

Our only gripe is their smoking policy. Although they ban smoking in the lobby and the restaurant, virtually everywhere else is available for smokers including the whole of the entertainment bar and the pool bar. Although these are both big rooms the smoke was terrible. We complained and suggested that they should make, say, half the tables in each of the rooms non-smoking as a start until Spanish Law and atitudes catches up with everywhere else. However, this didn't spoil a wonderful and all too short 5 day break"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of July 2006

Nice Holiday

Good

"We were looking for a quiet relaxing holiday and that is exactly what we got at the Riu Atantico. We went for a week and really only due to the very quiet resort a week was enough. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and the food was nice. Our room was bright and clean, and was cleaned every day.

If you are looking for a quiet week you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of July 2006

Good hotel

Good

"Just returned from two weeks at Riu Atlantico. We were impressed – sort of.
We like to experience the real Spain. We did not totally get that as the hotel is geared to the international market. Whilst it is used a lot by German, Dutch, Belgian and Spanish guests the main client group was probably British – but only just. The guidebooks say that there are probably more Spanish there in late July and August.
Whilst key staff are multi-lingual all (most) speak enough English/German/Dutch/French to understand you if that’s what you want. We tried our very limited Spanish to order drinks, meals etc when we could.
Everything seemed to work like clockwork but you do feel organised at times. Perhaps if you totally relax (not always easy for us) and go with the flow you seem to get what you want. The hotel, beach, people, service, weather and especially the food were all very good.
There was a festival whilst we were there. If you have a room facing east as we did you will see all of the fireworks etc in the nearest villages. You also get what we thought was the benefit of seeing a multitude of fishing boats travelling back and fore. It all added to the atmosphere.
The hotel is a little way (7Km?) from the nearest town of Ayamonte and it is really worth the effort of going there. Nothing flashy just real. We hired a car and travelled further afield as well. The people everywhere are very friendly and nice.
To sum up – good hotel, great food but a little too far from Ayamonte to provide everything that we want in a holiday."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

Postscript To Central Bookings

"As a follow up to my review of Riu Hotels cental bookings, I can now inform you that after being put up in a far lesser hotel for one night, and after two days of complaints to our travel agent (premier Iberian) who dealt with Riu Hotels we were transfered to a far better hotel (at the expense of Riu Hotels) for the remainder of our holiday. So with some encouragement Riu Hotels finally did the right thing. We were transfered to El Rompido Golf Hotel which was first class, and we all enjoyed our time there, but we would have prefered not to have had any of this hassle and we would have prefered to have stayed at the Riu Atlantico as aorigionally booked. We would like to thank Premier Iberian who's fault this was not, for their efforts in getting us transfered. We would however not take a chance with Riu Hotels again as they are not reliable."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

Do not book this Hotel

"I booked 2 rooms at the 4* hotel Rui Atlantico on 30/03/2006 for a 7 day holiday commencing on Saturday 17/06/2006. At 16:30 hours on Friday 16/06/2006 we were informed by telephone that the hotel was fully booked and we would need to be transferred to an adjacent non Rui hotel namely the Hotel PlayaCanela. On telephoning the central bookings office and hotel directly which were both located in Spain we could not resolve the problem late on a Friday evening so decided to fly to Faro as the airline tickets had been booked and paid for and transfer to Spain on the Saturday (17/06/06) to once again try and fight our corner directly with the hotel staff and ultimately the manager who was absolutely powerless to do anything for us and just blamed the central reservations section for all the problems. The Rui hotel informed us that the adjacent hotel would in fact be slightly cheaper than the Rui and so we had no alternative but to transfer. I was quoted via email a price of 877.24 euros which included the 7% iva tax for the 2 rooms but ended up paying 1596.28 euros plus 7% iva tax making a total in excess of 1700 euros for the 2 rooms an increase of 100% which is now being pursued via a solicitor for reimbursement of the additional monies and compensation for the problems encountered. When I challenged the hotel PlayaCanela they confirmed that the Rui were well aware of their prices as they often transferred people to their hotel as a result of overbooking by central reservations apparently a fairly regular occurrence according to the receptionist.

Do not be coned in this way as it would appear to be standard practice by the Rui as confirmed by other visitors on your website and find a more reliable hotel group to holiday with.

This is my first and last experience with the Rui Hotel and Resort Group and will return to the H10 group who are considerably more professional to deal with."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

Nice Holiday

"We were on 1st floor overlooking gardens next to tennis courts.Room was exactly as photo in First Choice brochure.We never saw a mosquito,in fact at 3-4 pm the winds came up, not mosquito weather. Didn't need air con.Left patio door open 3" at night, pulled across blinds and curtain. There was a fan above the bed. The food was varied, excellent and in a hotel of that size of course you have to line up at 6.30 and 8.30 People knew when they booked it was buffet style. The salads catered for English, German & Spanish visitors, we had fresh prawns, smoked salmon and caviare, various cold meats. Lovely plaice on the bone, fish do have bones (fish fingers don't).Wine was no more expensive than in good restaurants in England.Big breakfast, big evening meal, only needed a sandwich at lunch times.Yes the entertainment wasn't good, we saw some of it or went for a stroll or watched English TV or read in our room.
Rep. Tanya and hotel Management excellent, couldn't ask for more. Can't see why some people would find fault with this hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of June 2011

Not a 4 Star Hotel

"The hotel is in a beautiful location. I would add that the whole development in built on marsh land so expect to be bitten by very nasty mossies. The Thomson brochures show images of the larger rooms which are not the ones that Thomson customers stay in. The rooms are alot smaller but comfortable. The staff are excellent and friendly. We went on a half board basis so had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The food is awful. Where do I start; 'chefs' cook meat and fish on hot plates. The meat and fish is either raw or over cooked, tough/cheap meat and fish with loads of bones. Everynight had the same spread of dull salad options. The paella tasted only of saffron as there was little or no seafood in the rice. The desserts were tasteless. I would suggest you eat at the nearby restaurants. My guess is the hotel manager is trying to make cuts and the food is suffering. The air conditioning is switched off during the night (notice the small print in the Thomson brochure that the manager puts on air conditioning at his discretion!!!). The hotel looks like a 4 star hotel and the staff make it a pleasant experience - however the very poor food and penny pinching of the air conditioning does not make this a 4 star hotel. Drinks are very expensive, at dinner they charge 12 euros for a wine that costs 3.25 euros from the nearby expensive local store! The hotel charges 2.20 euros a day for the use of the safe which we thought was excessive. The entertainment is so awful it is rather comical. "

• Travel date: Tue 7th of June 2011

Hotels near Melia Atlantico Isla Canela

Stayed at Melia Atlantico Isla Canela? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Melia Atlantico Isla Canela

• Bronzed by Bronzed

"Lovely restaurants nearby when you have had enough of the food at the hotel. "

• Marg & Bert by Marg & Bert

"Area surrounding hotel, clean, quite in June, flat and idea for a stroll.There are buses, tour operator trips and a boat runs every hour to the other side of the river. "

Melia Atlantico Isla Canela is also called