Aqua Hotel Onabrava & Spa

Av. del Mar, 6, 08398 Santa Susanna Spain

the best

Reviewed Mon 16th of May 2016

" We went there for a holiday last June 2015 it is without doubt the best hotel i have stayed in Spain, the food was to die for, the staff wonderful, Hotel was spotless, we are going back in September 2016 this year for longer."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of May 2016

Fabulous!!

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"My partner and I have been to this hotel 6 years on the trot. What can I say!! This is a fabulous hotel and couldnt wish for anything better. Clean rooms, lovely food, friendly and helpfull staff, lovely pool and outside bar area. I read some reviews and was very dissappointed in them. Quite a few said that you had to pay 1 euro for a sunbed which included a towel!! This is totally not true!! My partner, myself and grandson (15) all returned here in August (hight of season) There was NO CHARGE at all for a sunbed, if you wanted to HIRE A TOWEL it was 1 euro a day!! We picked our sunbeds and put our own towels on them and didnt pay a penny!!. We have been given lovely gifts over the last two years, I think this is because of our returning visits, one was a clock and this year I got a lovely beach bag. I would reccommend this hotel to anybody, it is a little bit of luxury you can afford!!!."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of October 2012

Fantastic for families

Reviewed Mon 6th of July 2009

"Went to the Onabrava with our grand child ages 4. She abolutely loved the stay. Nice pool area, super friendly staff. Nice and tasy buffet food - but you have to add some spices aswell as salt.
The childrens entertainment team was absolute fantastic. Impressive how they handled children from all over Europe and got them to join the mini disco.
A chean and well run beach hotel!"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed Tue 16th of June 2009

"Just got back from 2 weeks holiday at the Onabrava and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. Well worthy of its 4 stars. The rooms are very spacious with two huge double beds. The towels got changed every day and the floor cleaned. The hotel was spotlessly clean. The gardens were well maintained and the pool area is lovely. We definetely stayed in the best hotel in Santa Susanna. The food was of a very high standard with lots of choice. The animation team were really good and friendly and our kids loved it in the kids club. Despite other comments that I have read there was no charge for sunbeds or the t.v. The only charges were for the gymnasium and indoor pool which is pretty much standard in any hotel abroad. The beach is nice but it is only shingle so quite tough on the feet and the sea is quite rough. The hotel also has a lifeguard on duty everyday which is normally unheard of. There is 3 british pubs to mention for a cheap beer,The Station, Murphys and The Ship(which is also good for karaoke evenings and sporting events). I would recommend going to Barcelona for the evening to see the fountains and lights as it is breathtaking."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of June 2009

Onabrava hotel

Reviewed Fri 19th of December 2008

"NIce area, not too busy in Oct. Stayed out ofthe main bit with all the shops but preferred that, short walk to the busier area. Walked up the pretty hill behind Santa susanna .On a brava hotel excellent, clean, food fantastic and varied, staff friendly. Bar drinks expensive though. Pool too cold out side in oct and indoor pool there were charges which i think shouldn't apply. Night life not up too much but we walked into santa susanna ,found a karoke bar, and some nice place to have a quiet drink as well.
Clean quiet beaches. "

• Travel date: Thu 18th of December 2008

Nice Hotel - Shame about the Area

Reviewed Sat 1st of November 2008

"Just got back from half term holidays in Spain, we booked flights directly with Ryan Air and from Bournemouth to Girona the flight time was only 1hr 45. The flights only cost £140 for four of us so a bargain really. Taxi from airport cost 60 Euros including tip and it was the same coming back. The hotel is listed as 4 star and we found it modern, clean and appealing. Dinner was amazing for the choices available, carvery, soups, salads, fish, meat, vegetarian etc all in a massive buffet operation, but while quantity was outstanding, quality was average, some things were tasty, other items had us getting new plates and choosing again! We obviously went at the very end of the hotel season, so it wasnt full and I can imagine the race for sunbeds in the height of summer must be a pain, the pool is fabulous and if like us you have a rainy day there is an indoor one too, but the hotel charges 6 Euros per adult and 3 per child to use it. The hotel also charges for safe hire and fridge hire in your room if you want them, require a deposit of 15 euros per towel hire, you can pay 20 or 35 euros for a mini bar pack (drinks only). Our kids loved the Kids club and kids entertainment (aimed really at 4 to 10 year olds) there were two tabletennis tables outside and a very small amusements so again whilst not affected I think that maybe teenagers would be bored here a little other than using the pool there is not much else for them. BAr drinks were expensive for spirits 7.20 euros for a southern comfort and lemonade, spanish beer and wine great value though. The area of Santa Susanna is basically a 10 year old 2 mile strip of hotels along the seafront on the way to Malgrat de Mar, this is where you find the souvineer shops, discos, british pubs and local bars. The boulevard walk into Malgrat is modern and pleasant with cafes and bars along the way but this time of year they were mostly closed. In between the hotel boulevard and the sea runs the local train service which takes you all the way into Barcelona for 6.5 euros each. This was a 1hr 10min journey and we enjoyed the daytrip to the city. The beqach at Santa Susanna is not pleasant. Think of lovely sandy beaches at Bournemouth, Cornwall or Scarborough and then you have this, what can really be described as gravel. The beach slopes steeply into the sea meaning young ones should stay well clear. Our 10 year old, a good swimmer could not stand up, with the gravel giving way under his feet and the waves knocking him over we only lasted 20 minutes on the beach before coming off. I know other Spanish resorts will have much better beaches than Santa Susanna. All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful even if not all spoke english and our Spanish was limited we still got on ok. Being a popular hotel with the Spanish too, who bus in for shows in the mini theatre and while we were there, weddings took place in the hotel. This leads to a bit of noise in the hotel corridors upto about midnight. On our last morning we even had the maid burst in on us sleeping at 8am expecting the room to be empty but the manager did apologise. During our stay there was an equal mix of Brits, dutch, german and french. Everyone got on well and seemed very sociable. We got a 1st floor room so had no sea view but if you go I suggest asking for a room on floor 3 or higher!!! All in all a lovely hotel, a great choice of average food in an average location. We are glad we went, the kids loved it but we wont be back to Santa Susanna!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of November 2008

holiday at santa sussanna

Reviewed Thu 23rd of October 2008

"I have just returned from a brilliant two weeks at the Aqua Hotel Onabrava
with my wife daughter and son in law,food was of a very high standard and varied too. The staff were pleasant at all times.
Only down point was having to leave at the end of the holiday as every norning at breakfast if you wanted there was bottles of cava which you just helped yourself to by the glassful if you felt like can recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of going there, anybody reading this and does go to the Ona Brava if they see Francis around the restuarant please tell him Ron and Shaun were saying hello he is usually on the desk in the restuarant or at the door of it welcoming guests.

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2008

only arrived back home yesterday after a...

Reviewed Wed 8th of October 2008

"only arrived back home yesterday after a weeks family holiday in this fantastic hotel,this was the first family holiday abroad with 3 children the youngest 3 and twins at 6,the hotel is spot on the highest understand of cleaniness i have ever seen staffs were excellent and the food was to die for..the twins had a great time in the kids club which was open most of the day the youngest had a great time in the swimming pool outside although it was icy cold to cold for me and my partner but kids thought it was great.
The area in general was ok but theres not to much to do theres one main strip of shops,pubs etc once you have walked it then thats it,there is a park for kids just up the road from the onabrava the sea is just across the road the beach isnt sand though its more like gravel but still enjoyable,we have a lovely first family holiday abroad all in all we enjoyed it and so did the kids.."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

This Hotel was first class, could not fi...

Reviewed Wed 24th of September 2008

"This Hotel was first class, could not find a bad thing to say about it! We stayed for 14 nights and from arriving to leaving we had superb service from all levels of staff. The rooms were cleaned daily plus change of towels daily. Dinning room service was excellent, and the food well what can I say, I have been travelling around the world for the last 30 years, and I have never come across a Hotel that is good at everything, from helpfulness of staff, at all levels. Good choice of food and quality was excellent, I am a very fussy eater! but the choice of food men't I was always satisfied. The Hotel was in a good postion, near to beach , resort, all the shops. Santa sussanna is not the prettiest of places but it has lot's of character, and is a very flat area so good for walking. And across the road is the rail station you can visit other resorts from here very cheaply. The hotel I think is far superior to other 4 star hotels I have stayed in. The hotel is a very nice building, lots of rooms large Reception area with bars, night club, piana bar. The pool area is also very organised, plenty of sun beds, so no need to get up at 4 in the morning to grab a place! lol. nice large pools 2 of them nice pool bar also. All I can say is that i had a great holiday in great surroundings, with excellent staff that went all out to make sure that everybody is having a great time. Can't wait to go back"

• Travel date: Wed 24th of September 2008

Just returned from our two week holidays...

Reviewed Wed 6th of August 2008

"Just returned from our two week holidays at the hotel aqua onabrava in Santa Susanna. No doubt was the best hotel we have stayed at on all the Costa Brava. I truly could not fault the hotel, the staff we very friendly and glad to help all they could. The hotel was spotlessly clean with the rooms being cleaned daily. The Animation team must be the best on the costa with all activities for all age groups, from aqua gym,archery,football, tennis, table tennis, water volleyball, water rugby, rifle shooting etc . All the team was very friendly and between them all i think they spoke all languages. The bar was very nice with entertainment on every night whether it was on the terrace or in the music bar the entertainment was very professional from parrot show, flamenco dancing, belly dancing, acrobatic comedy act also the animation team shows which are very funny. My overall review of this hotel is well worth 4 stars excellent rooms super pool indoor and outdoor,spotlessly clean restaurant with lots of variety, its an excellent family holiday hotel and would recomend this holiday to anybody. We will definately be going there again in the near future."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of August 2008

I can agree with all stated by others re...

Reviewed Tue 8th of July 2008

"I can agree with all stated by others regarding the hotels standards, cleanliness food etc, I can only add the following: The hotel was quite busy with unattached youngsters when we were there 16/19 year olds mostly German 22/06/08 ---- 06/07/08 there was a minority who liked to continue their partying upon their return from the club(s) until the early hours 1 / 3am one night 5am, reception agreed if the perpetrators could be found this would be stopped but that was easier said than done. Lastly I don’t know if this is new but the hotel has introduced a 1 euro sun bed charge per bed, this is during their high season, the cost is per day, this includes a towel, I thought this was a bit of a poor do for residents & families alike, you could now be totting up an extra 50euros or so for a 2 week stay for a family of 4, especially when the beds are not at their best, we just went to another hotel close by on the resort where like most other hotels the sun beds were free, I don’t know if they have really thought this one through, the hotel lost all our pools side food and drinks business, my only last grip was the early morning towel brigade, bearing in mind it was costing to bathe now, I was annoying to find my bed not quite where I remember it being, sorry to say mostly English were restructuring / claiming the most favorable bathing positions, I confronted one who said he had been coming for 6 years and this gave him the right, anyway don’t let me put you off we have been twice and I am sure we will be back."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2008

I found the hotel to exceed my expectati...

Reviewed Tue 1st of July 2008

"I found the hotel to exceed my expectations, which were high having read the reviews here and elsewhere! The hotel was kept exceptionally clean throughout, the staff were friendly and helpful and were able to speak English.

The rooms were barge, nice comfy beds, nice bathroom with a great shower! All seemed to have a balcony, although the view from where we were staying had nothing to offer so didn't really spend any time there!

The drinks were about average for the area, 2 euros for a can of coke, about 12 euros for house wines (didn't really like these, tasted way too cheap). Food was priced reasonably but only tried it once so can't really comment on that. The only thing this resort seemed to lack was a good restaurant, we walked around all over but could only find the same menu's and average food - the Hotel Mercury offered a reasonable steak and chips with helpful staff but thats about it.

The best thing we found at this particular hotel was the entertainment staff, Abel and Jack from Spain and Holland were the main entertainers during the daytimes and evenings. I somehow managed to get dragged up for the Mr Onabrava too (which I won!), well worth watching some of the entertainment acts they put on, they are fantastic! One warning, if you watch the parrot show, they come around taking pictures with you and the parrot(s), they charged us 20 euros for 2 photos for this, so be ready with plenty of money if you want these!

The pool area is great here, large and never really seemed to be a lack of sun beds. The male life guard didn't like anyone having any inflatables in the pool however, so be warned! The female life guard didn't seem too bothered though!

Out of the hotel, the train station is immediately opposite the hotel and can take you through many different areas for almost no cost - we paid 6.40 euros each for a return ticket to Barcelona - and thanks to the helpful lady working at the train station, we were able to find a couple of things we hadn't heard about, such as a market a few junctions down.

We had a go on a buggy from Daves Rentals, not cheap at 60 euros, but was nice for an hour, fun to drift around on the sandy areas of the mountains (dont worry, you follow a staff member, so wont get lost!). We also visited Blanes which seemed nice, although not too much to do there!

Had a go on one of the flying blue boats you see whizzing up and down the coast all day, expensive and to be honest, rubbish! Its very very windy, nauseating and expensive!

We went to the Medieval night, which is about 46 euros per person, the coach picks you up just round the corner and takes you there before the show starts (and returns you when its finished). Along with the medieval show, you also get the flamenco dancing show afterwards too. In all honesty, I felt this was a great build up event, you turn up to a very realistic looking castle, internally is all realistic too, you walk to the main hall where you line up in classic old style rows, lots of drinks in front of you to drink in your own time. The show however was a huge let down, very fake and childish, good for kids, bad for adults! The food was also awful so I would eat prior to going to this event!

The last thing to mention really is a small pub about 10 minutes walk from this hotel, The Ship, a scottish bar. Great atmosphere and friendly staff, Karen and Kay in the evenings and Paul during the daytimes. Its on the other side of the road just after the promenade, if you cross over on the bridge (theres only one of these!) its a 2 minute walk to the left after this."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of July 2008

Hotels near Aqua Hotel Onabrava & Spa

Stayed at Aqua Hotel Onabrava & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Aqua Hotel Onabrava & Spa

• travellinggranny by travellinggranny

"Very handy for station into Barcelona, also the little market stalls at night are right outside the hotel and also the main Tuesday market is there as well. "

• Ken W by Ken W

"enjoy the food and comfort "

Aqua Hotel Onabrava & Spa is also called