Have just returned from one week half bo...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of May 2007

"Have just returned from one week half board with two kids (8 and 11).

Arrived at hotel just before 5am and were quickly allocated room by very friendly receptionist. Two good sized beds ready to fall into. Kids quickly slept, but noise was unbelievable. Had to check if balcony door was open.

Loads of singing and drunkenness until after 6am.But was just on a Saturday night. Wakened early by neighbouring rooms banging doors. Very loud conversations in adjoining room. Definitely no privacy there.

Breakfast very early. Same thing every day. Became a bit boring after a while. Evening meal the same. After two days, I wanted to go in a restaurant and order a meal. Especially as there are so many appetising looking restaurants all along the street.

Being half board does tie you down a bit. Also works out quite expensive as there is no kettle or fridge, so you end up buying every cup of tea or drink at quite expensive rates, especially if you are sitting around the pool.

However, the rooms were clean and good size with balcony. Towels changed every day. Staff generally very friendly. Some of female staff very grumpy.

On day to go home, had to be out of room at 10am, even though we were not being picked up until after midnight. Because I had children, I was able to keep my room until 7pm, at a price of 25 euro. However when I handed in my key, they wanted to charge me again as they had no record I had paid. Luckily I had my receipt.

All in all, the hotel was nice. A bit noisy (and that was quiet season).With children, I don't recommend half board as it is nice to try out different places.

However a lot of pensioners were there and it definitely suited them as they got their meals made. I think that is the age group for this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of May 2007

Just back from the Monteplaya with my 2...

Reviewed Sat 19th of May 2007

"Just back from the Monteplaya with my 2 children (14&8) and hubby and parents.

We all had an excellent time.Hotel is spotless, staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Food was too a good standard. Kids loved playing in the pool, at this time of year was quiet so we had the pool mainly to ourselves.

Entertainment was good and is only on until 12 which is good for young kids.

Will be returning soon."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of May 2007

I found the hotel to be very clean and p...

Reviewed Thu 17th of May 2007

"I found the hotel to be very clean and pleasant, no complaints about the food either, but we did find the pool to be very crowded.

Entertainment was not too bad, but admittedly we did go to the nearby bars a lot.

And, I am ashamed to say, Jordi from the Black Bull got me with every one of his tricks ha-ha!

I would recommend this hotel to young families as, being only 17 myself, I found the hotel to be most suited to younger families, although I did see a lot of (German) older people who seemed to be enjoying themselves!"

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

shame about the food

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"just back from spending a week at the Monteplaya in Malgrat de Mar.The hotel was very clean and all staff friendly and helpfull. What lets it down was the food.The dining room was open from 7-8 in the evening,if you went in at 7 it was very busy and people were getting in everybodys way,but if you left it a bit later the hot food was either gone or cold,also the food was over cooked which made the meat and fish very tough and dry.The salad bar was the same once it had gone it was not filled up again."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

I enjoyed staying at this hotel, staff a...

Reviewed Sun 8th of April 2007

"I enjoyed staying at this hotel, staff are excellent very helpful and very polite indeed.

The only thing lacking is entertainment on a night, same as last year if this was improved I would probably give the hotel a 10 rating.

One good thing about this hotel is they don’t allow football hooligans to stay there, I hope they stick to that rule, if that happened I would not return."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

great for first time abroad

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"the hotel was beautiful and clean, some of the staff were very helpful, a lovely play area for kids is at the side of the dining room. There was no kids club and pool was small though spotlessly clean, food was average always something there that everyone could eat plenty of fruit and salad. i would definately go back. rooms very clean to"

• Travel date: Sun 11th of February 2007

Stayed at the Monteplaya last July with...

Reviewed Sat 10th of February 2007

"Stayed at the Monteplaya last July with my 2 children (aged 12 and 8).

The hotel was clean, well maintained, and friendly and the facilities were excellent. Lots of families chose to stay at the hotel pool and there could have been extra sun beds made available, as in high season there were clearly not enough.

The breakfast and evening meals were all of excellent quality and there was a vast choice of meals that suited all tastes. Would definitely return to the Hotel Monteplaya."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007

Six of us ladies stayed at the Monte Pla...

Reviewed Wed 10th of January 2007

"Six of us ladies stayed at the Monte Playa it was very good.

Bar staff very nice, cleaners OK but got shouted at if you ask for more towels.

If you are looking for a friendly bar go to the Shamrock, Bobby makes you more than welcome.

Will definitely be going back but bed and breakfast not half board, as the food wasn't great - we ate out most nights."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of January 2007

We stayed at the Monteplaya over the hal...

Reviewed Sun 29th of October 2006

"We stayed at the Monteplaya over the half-term period, on a half board basis. The hotel was booked as part of a package cobbled together by Holiday City - an internet advertising company based in Swansea.

First impressions of the hotel were very good. It is well located along the seafront in Malgrat de Mar and the entrance leads off of the main walkway where there are numerous gift shops, bars and restaurants.

The reception area was spotless and all of the ground floor facilities (restaurant, lounge/TV room, bar and lobby) were similarly well presented. The receptionist was very helpful and we were checked in within minutes and on our way to our rooms.

Only one lift and although this was not an inconvenience to us, in high season I can imagine it proving a nuisance to those who really need to use one.

The corridors were well decorated, lit and cleaned and this was the last week of the season!

Our rooms were also of a high standard. Very clean, a nice balcony and a sea view.
Down points were no fridge, not enough bedding (and although it was hot during the day it gets cool at night in October) and we did notice that the sound insulation is poor between rooms.

Breakfast was served from 8.00 am to 9.45am. Dinner was served during a one hour slot from 7.00pm to 8.00pm. I'd read some bad reports about the food here but I have to say that I had no complaints. At breakfast a buffet provided cereals, juices, cold meats and cheeses, breads (including toast) preserves and tea and coffee. There was also a hot selection serving bacon (Spanish streaky!) eggs, beans, sausages (sometimes Spanish style) black pudding and other vegetarian options on the hotplate. Dinner was buffet style and again there was a great selection. We had Paella on two nights, steaks, chops, lasagnas, pasta, fish and there was always a choice of chips, potatoes or pasta and a good selection of vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and green beans.

Drinks in the hotel are average prices but there is a supermarket less than a minute's walk from the hotel so we stocked up there everyday and had a few drinks on the balcony. There is a 'happy hour' three or four times a week and a round of drinks for 5 of us cost around 7 Euros so keep an eye out for the signs.

Entertainment was poor for a family like ours as we have kids aged 16, 13 and 11. It was mainly singers playing to an older audience and bingo a couple of nights but there is a pool table and a TV room. The internet is available in the lobby but quite expensive.

Another plus point for us. A totally smoke free hotel!

The pools are nice. Pretty cool when we were there, thus there was always room for a swim but I would imagine that during the Summer months it would be pretty crowded. Sun beds are well provided and there’s lots of areas to sit in, in pleasant surroundings.

The beach is very near and we found it a nice, clean beach to sit on.

Malgrat is okay and if you turn right out of the hotel, Santa Susanna is right on the doorstep too.

Another plus point is the local rail connections to Barcelona for 6 Euros return or Blanes for about 3 Euros return. Calella, Pineda and other nice resorts are also easy on the rail network and we found the service very punctual.

Overall, the Monteplaya is good. We'd certainly return again out of season and we congratulate the staff and management for providing a very clean and well presented hotel at good value for money. Thanks!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of October 2006

The hotel its self is very clean and the...

Reviewed Tue 26th of September 2006

"The hotel its self is very clean and the two swimming pools with waterfalls are lovely, but freezing as usual. There is also plenty of space for sunbathing with a top terrace full of loungers.

The food is certainly nothing to write home about the breakfast choice is fairly good but nothing is hot bacon, eggs, sausage and beans all clock cold!

The evening meals began ok for the first few days plenty of salad choice but only one meat and one fish dish but was fairly warm (not hot) then it all went down hill, meat, vegetables and fish all cold not even Luke warm and we were not the only ones who thought so. Cold chips and salad gets too much every day.

But never the less if you turn out of the hotel to the left after a couple mins walk there is a road known as bar street it’s full of English and Dutch bars doing great food.
Legends is great extra large portions and a Sunday lunch to die for but if its pizza your after visit my mate Jordi at The Blackbull (best pizza in all of Malgrat) you can also watch all of your soaps plus all the sporting evens plus daft DVDs of bulls getting their own back, kids doing stupid stuff etc...

Be careful of all his tricks I just know he will catch you out with something so be warned!

The resort is full of gift shops, restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes, hotels and super markets you are never stuck for something to do.

I have been going to this resort now for 11 years and would recommend it to anyone you will love it whether you are young, old, couples, families or in large groups some thing for everyone. "

• Travel date: Tue 26th of September 2006

Nice atmosphere, friendly staff

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"It was quiet in March (25 - 1 April) just a few tourist shops open with the remainder getting prepared. It was not too difficult to imagine what it might be like at the height of the season tho' as there was a nightclub (closed) just across the road/railway line from our rooms! Yes, I am an oldie, well 57, so not the type of resort I would visit in August but it was great for the week's coach trip my mother and I did with WA Shearings. We had good sized rooms with balcony overlooking the sea, altho' at that time of year it was a bit too chilly to enjoy them fully. We found the hotel lounge comfortable, and the bar and dining room had a nice atmosphere. The staff were great and tolerated my sad attempts at conversational Spanish with good humour. Our holiday rep warned us that the food was very Spanish and urged us to try it all with an open mind. The buffet meals were varied and not bad but I enjoyed the salads better. The desserts were a bit 'same-ish' but there was plenty to choose from. We had full board and the hotel packed us lunch for a couple of our longer day trips, but I wouldn't recommend these. The hotel was a good base for our holiday, we visited Montserrat and Barcelona and toured the coast so managed to see a lot of the Catalonia district. It might not have been as pleasurable to do this in high season tho' when it would have been very much busier. The local market in Pineda was a bit disappointing with cheap and cheerful goods not quite what I expected, however, the food stalls were better. To sum up, the Monteplaya in March was, for us, a nice hotel to stay in and the surrounding area was an interesting mix of sea, sand and town - all within easy walking distance."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

Hi I was at the Monteplaya hotel in June...

Reviewed Fri 25th of August 2006

"Hi I was at the Monteplaya hotel in June with 7 friends for my 50th birthday it was fantastic hotel. It is spotless, staff very nice, food ok but there is always something you can have.

I would go back. Visit Bobby in the shamrock bar he makes you so welcome just 5 mins down the road to you’re left as you come out the Monteplaya.

• Travel date: Fri 25th of August 2006