A couple of weeks ago I returned from th...

Good
Reviewed Thu 6th of September 2007

"A couple of weeks ago I returned from the Monteplaya Hotel with my husband and little boy aged 1.

As all the reports have said, yes the rooms are very noisy. So if you are a light sleeper like myself not the best place to stay!

Apart from that, the hotel was really nice and most of the staff very nice apart from one receptionist, but that’s not bad out of all the staff that worked there. The food was fresh and plenty of it. By the end of the week we did go out for dinner just for a change as it did start to taste the same.

The hotel is on the main strip and was great for shopping, drinking etc. We would walk for ages at night which was great. Entertainment in the evening was fun for all ages

A really nice holiday - shame to come home.

• Travel date: Thu 6th of September 2007

Overall we gave this hotel a 5 rating, t...

Reviewed Sun 2nd of September 2007

"Overall we gave this hotel a 5 rating, the 5 points would be for the maid service, it felt as though she was never away and that wasn´t always a good thing as they were the noisiest first thing in the morning, and you had no chance of a good lie in.

As for the hotel being H/B I found the choice of food limited, the salad bar was the only good choice, as for the hot dinners they were not hot and appetising, the breakfast consisted of the salad and fry ups to which they were swimming in fat and again not very warm. We ended up eating out most of the time due to this.

The swimming pool look big in brochure but in reality it was quite small and there was no room to swim in due the thousands of kids in it. Good for kids though as they had the run of the pool and no one else had a look in, also all the loungers were taken if you weren´t down to the pool early enough, early would be 7.30am as most people put out their towels down to save them a lounger.

The entertainment is good if your between 80 -90 years of age it´s practically nonexistent, but there a few good bars around the corner that can perk you up. "

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel from...

Reviewed Fri 31st of August 2007

"My boyfriend and I chose this hotel from the reviews on this site. And I must say what an excellent choice.

The only fault is the noise!!! You can hear everything going on next door, which is quite frustrating. The hotel is situated in the centre of everything. The beach is just accross the road (accessed via subway). It has its own nightly entertainment (most suited for children and the elderly). But most important, is that the food was fantastic.

I don't know if it was because it was the height of summer, but I had no problems with the food at all. The choice was excellent. There is a cold bar, hot bar, dessert section. Everything is hot and fresh. There was something for everyone, really, I couldn't fault it.
Towels were changed daily. The hotel is very clean. Staff are friendly. We were given a free lunch as we missed our dinner on arrival. Can't complain at all.

I would love to come back here with my kids.

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

perfectly fine

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"This hotel was nice and clean and had a nice lounge with comfy couches handy for a night flight with lots of hanging around.
Food was fine and food hygiene seemed good.
Downside was although staff were generally helpful, some dodgy outsider got in and got caught by guests stealing a bag and staff were quite indifferent and had not much security of public areas so be careful. Pool not much to write home about and entertainment superior at larger hotels."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Arrived with my girlfriend last week in...

Good
Reviewed Fri 17th of August 2007

"Arrived with my girlfriend last week in the afternoon and was told by the receptionist we would be staying in a similar 3 star hotel 2 mins down the road, obviously we were gutted and asked for an explanation. They said it was full, so we went to Hotel Europa and could not believe this was a 3 star hotel, it was a dump! It was like a youth hostel!

Obviously we were not happy with this and asked what was going on, we didn’t want to stay 4 nights in this hotel. On our way to unpack we were approached by the receptionist who said we were only staying 1 night, we were so confused and angry by the lack of an explanation and the incompetence of the staff.

Obviously it was Co-op Travels fault at not telling us but the staff made it far more stressful than what it should have been.

We went back to Hotel Monteplaya the following morning and said we couldn’t check in till 12.30 and was not even offered an apology!!

The hotel itself was very nice and clean and the beach was a stone's throw away but our first day was ruined thanks to Co-op travel and unfriendly and arrogant staff.

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

fantastic hotel

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"I booked this hotel with ferris coach holidays and what a fantastic hotel it was. The hotel was spotlessly clean, The food was out of this world despite what other people have said about it, it was not cold and there was a different choice every night. The staff at the the hotel were very polite and helpfull. the hotel room was really nice not much wardrobe space or plug sockets but it did me also the hairdryer in the bathroom was really good i took my own and i never used it. There was entertainment on in the hotel and a happy hour every other night buy one get one free on your drinks. we went out at night to the eurika bar. The pool at the hotel was really nice small and freezing and you could always get a sun bed. I would really reccomend this hotel to people of all ages as it caters for all."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of August 2007

I took a party of 11 people there this y...

Reviewed Sat 11th of August 2007

"I took a party of 11 people there this year for the first time as we usually go to the Catalonia in Calella but fancied a change, we found only one fault with the hotel that’s why its a 9 /10 that was the food started ok but as the fortnight went on it got worse so we ended up having breakfast and dinner in the crown and anchor in town best food ever in there plus decent beer and we played darts with a Dutchman and Trevor and Matt both mental villa fans but great fun and welcoming so a big hi to them and thanks for saving our diets.

But the staff in the hotel were great friendly and helpful rooms were good especially the air con which was a good release from the 38 degree heat in July /August slept like a log.

The monte playa was and all round clean place to stay overall great pool for the adults and kids, and after a good drink down the crown we always sat by the pool terrace winding down until the bar closed great fun.

So that’s me and my holiday until next year hope for a bit more of the same when i will win the darts trophy not me pal Gaz

See you all next year.

• Travel date: Sat 11th of August 2007

This is the first time we have travelled...

Reviewed Wed 8th of August 2007

"This is the first time we have travelled with Ferris and the first time in the Hotel Monteplaya, and within 3 days of arriving back home from the holiday, we have booked to go back in October.

That is how pleased we are with both the hotel and Ferris. The food in the hotel was always hot and the variety was to suit all tastes and nationalities.

The hotel was clean and bright with very friendly staff and as it is not too big it was also fairly quiet.

The hotel was well situated for an easy walk to Malgrat or Santa Susanna and conveniently close to the Black Bull, an excellent friendly bar with great atmosphere.

Can’t wait to get back!!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

Very nice hotel

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Monteplaya Hotel in Malgrat de Mar in May this year and both thoroughly enjoyed it. We're both in our early 20s and were looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to go and relax for a week and we got that exactly at Monteplaya. On Arrival your greeted at reception by friendly staff who speak pefect English, ideal for people like me whose Spanish/Catalan only extends as far as ordering a beer!

The hotel is spotless and the hallways are immaculate. The rooms are cleaned every day and they give you fresh towels each day. I say "give you" because they didn't replace them! We had ours sitting out on the balcony drying off and they never bothered to check for them. Suited us fine though!

The room has its own safety box as you'd hope for and its priced at 18Euro for your stay, but you get 6 Euro's back at the end. I think thats what the price was.

Breakfast is served between 8-10 (You get your times and table number when you arrive) and its a buffet breakfast as in other reviews. It litterally does have everything from fresh bread, meat, cheese, jam, ceral right through to the full fry up and the rather interesting Spanish Streaky bacon which I strongly suggest you try, even if its only the once!

Dinner, likewise is buffet style but I must disagree with many people on here. I thought the food was rather nice and the chef puts on a variety, often from different parts of the world too which makes things interesting. Fresh salad is always available and theres a big choice in the cooked food. The big fella puts in one hell of a shift at dinner time, so it was only manners that I tried to have one of everything as a way of saying thank you.

Entertainment at night is a bit woeful to be honest. I was fortunate enough to miss the parrot doing tricks as I was on my way back from Barcelona, but I did manage to see an act which would have been booed off the stage at Butlins! On the bright side, they do have a happy hour every other night and you get 2 for 1 drinks. I must say though, I thought that by 2 for 1 that I'd get a pint and my girlfriend would get her vodka free, or vice versa...but I was quite surprised, and very much delighted when he handed me 2 pints of lager and only took the price for one!! The price of drink is fairly reasonable I'd say. €2 for a bottle of San Miguel and €3.10 for a pint. Its not far off what you'd pay in the pubs. I think it was only 1.90 for a glass of wine too.

The swimming pool is nice to look at but not even a stampeeding herd of wild horses could get me into it, it was FREEZING! Its nice to sit by it at night and listen to the waterfall.

One thing I did suggest on my comments sheet when I left was it would be good to be able to hire a fridge for the room. That was generally the only thing I thought the hotel lacked.

For anyone looking for a cheap and cheerful holiday, I'd definately suggest Monteplaya. Its nicely situated in the middle of everything, only a pleasant 10 minute walk to the centre and railway station, and a 10 minute walk the other way into Santa Susanna where there is a massive market on Tuesdays."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Standard Hotel - small rooms

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We stayed here from the 3rd- 10th of June 2007 and had chose the Hotel for it's location. The Hotel is very central and just minutes form the beach and the main reception was very presentable.

The rooms however were very small and basic and our balcony looked right over the next door hotel. In fact I assumed the pool I was looking out over was our pool until I realised that it belonged to next door and we looked right out over their verandah where drinks were served at night, which was not great. In fairness there was very little noise form this though, it just meant we had to ensure the balcony curtains were always shut if we were getting dressed.

The Hotel was clean but the cleaning service did drop off in the last few days and our bed sheets did not get changed again after day 3. The meals were fine and whilst the dinning Hall was busy there was always enough food.

I found the staff were very helpful, certainkly the Eastern European girls at reception were and the staff in the dining Hall.

we did not really use the pool as it was so cold from being in the shade half the day but the beach was so close this was not a problem.

i did not notice a children's play area so can only assume that was around the back somewhere. Certainly I did not see any rats!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of July 2007

My husband and I just returned from this...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of June 2007

"My husband and I just returned from this hotel yesterday, we are a young couple.

On arrival we were given our room very quickly, room was clean and average size, bathroom was clean and had a hair dryer, towels were changed daily.

Staff were very helpful, you have to pay 10 euro deposit for TV if you want it.

Breakfast is served from 8-9.45 the usual stuff, fry, toast, cereal. Dinner from 7-8pm was a bit restricting but food was nice bottle of wine from 6 Euros, drink prices were reasonable.

You are given a table number on your restaurant card and you have to sit at that table every night, you could well have to share a table with another couple. Good way to meet people, we ended up going out with them a few nights.

Hotel is in centre of everything bars, night clubs and restaurants on door step. It’s a 10min walk to Santa Susanna if you fancy a change. beach is just across the street, we stayed at the pool. entertainment in the hotel was fine for kids or the elderly ( a lot of elderly people at this hotel) we went down the street most nights, lots of bars with entertainment.

Check out is early 10am but they have a luggage room and showers you can use, we didn’t find it a problem.

All in all we had a very good holiday and would return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

not impressed at all

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I recently stayed in the monteplaya, June 4-11 and the hotel is very well presented but thats about it. I found the staff very rude and I didn't have any towels changed or toliet roll replaced. On 3 seperate occasions i saw rats running throughout the childrens play area. My friend urgently needed to book an early flight home and the management didn't want to know. Will never go back there.
TR"