Never Again!!!!

Reviewed Mon 28th of October 2013

"This hotel should seriously think about advertising it as an adult only hotel or even a senior citizens or over 60's only hotel!!

My partner and I are not young, no, both in our fifties, but here we seriously felt like it was one foot in the grave hotel.

The rooms are basic but spotless, the food not too bad, but could be better. Our biggest problem besides the lack of quality entertainment... BINGO!!!!! really???? On your last night??? Was the noise! The hotel is surrounded by flats, full of children and noisy residents and then you have the trains although they didn't really bother us too much as we were on the side but thinking on it I think the trains would have been quieter, no it was the screaming kids and the basket ball court right next to our balcony, unbelievably noisy at times.

I know this is starting to sound like we are anti kids, but seriously really we are not, we love kids and love to see them having a good time but there is a time and place and this hotel is not it. In this hotel the walls are so thin you can hear a pin drop, so when you have a family with four boisterous kids in the room above you jumping off beds and screaming, you expect the young man on reception to take you seriously when you say you have had enough of the noise and not to lie to you and say they have no kids booked in if you need to move rooms.

The pool (not pools! The other is a very small dip pool) is tiny and over looked by flats with residences. The cleaning staff were very good and pleasant, the chef is good, the restaurant staff were nice but the bar staff left a lot to be desired especially the owners, particularly the red haired lady. The reception staff looked tired and worked horrendous hours.

Our room (150)on the right hand side of the hotel was above the dining room and we quickly noticed that there were a series of drains below by the kitchens, so it was out with the Anti Mosi stuff for us. Good job we did because we escaped with few bites, but others along our corridor got bitten very badly so worth looking for that.

We went with Shearing's and had to wait over two hours for our room with no lunch supplied after a twenty seven hour journey on a coach down there (boy did we need showers at that point) and then on the last day were expected to pay an extra twenty euro's or be kicked out of the room at 10am and not be picked up till 7pm, not really good enough.

We met people that return here year in year out, but have to say that they were elderly and perhaps it is for them, but if you are looking for somewhere to take kids or to have a really fun time then don't bother here, try the Ryman just a but further down it's much more fun. "

• Travel date: Mon 28th of October 2013

Very let down!!!

Reviewed Thu 25th of August 2011

"I have just came back staying a wk at the Monteplaya Hotel.. Felt let down with the so say Amenities!!! Only booked this hotel due to the following they said was at the Hotel mainly,

Mini golf
Tennis courts
Childrens playground
Games room
Kids club
Table tennis.

There is no such thing of any of this at the Hotel!!! But u can find these things about 10mins walk at a discount price if u are staying at this Hotel which is very naughty!! Also when we arrived you had to pay 15e for a Frige this is if u wanted one 20e for a Tv remote and 25e for a safe.. There was no good entertament in the evening and didnt find the Hotel staff very friendly.Plus side food was very good and was something for everyone, rooms were cleaned everyday and clean towels.. Mainly went here as i have 2 children so thought with all the games ect would be good but we got was swimming pool which was a bit of a let down... Wouldnt go bk there!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of August 2011

brill cant say anymore

Reviewed Wed 5th of October 2011

"great hotel great food great for kids we been goin to this hotel for the last 6 years we wont go to any other hotel they treat us like family we r goin bac out there on the 23rd sep cant wait dont listen to the bad things thats put on here its not that bad at all infact its rated the 3rd best in malgrat "

• Travel date: Thu 11th of August 2011

My holiday sept 2010

Reviewed Wed 22nd of September 2010

"I spent a week in Hotel monteplaya this year, My first time in the resort and i think the hotel was brilliant.

Hotel and room was very clean, towels changed every day, beds and rooms cleaned every day.

The food was excellent, loads of choice every meal time,I guess if your a picky eater and expect all english food then you'd always find something to complain about but everyone is catered for. Nice having the same table every meal so you know where your going to sit.and the table service is excellent, plates are cleared very quick and waiters on call all the time to bring you drinks.

The pools are small but not many people seem to use them, the relaxing whirlpool is lovely and has walk in steps. The sunbeds area is great and theres plenty for everyone, there is a very nice small area with access from the upper pool to sunbath in more privicy.

While i was there i had need to call out a doctor in the night, the reception was excellent and the doctor was with me in my room within 15 mins, the following day the female receptionist wasnt very helpful at all and everything seemed to much bother for her, that is the only complaint i have.

The Hotel is central to everything and excellent pubs just around the corner , the Robin Hood being my personal favourite.

The hotel had entertainment on every night but there was so much to do and see we didnt actually see any of it as we were out else where.

Overall I have no complaints whatsoever and would ask to go to this hotel again. Hoping that the grumpy receptionist cheers up..:-)"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2010

Fantastic Holiday

Reviewed Mon 12th of July 2010

"I thought I would write this review as some reviews on this hotel are not good. We have just come back from spending a week at Hotel Monteplaya.
This hotel is very clean, beds are made daily and cleaned. The staff are very polite and always willing to help. We were halfboard and there was always something you could find to eat, which was always hot and checked on regually. The salad bar was excellant and you could visit as many times.
The swimming pool was a little small, but excellant for a dip and sometimes we had it to ourselves.
There was not much entertainment at the hotel like some of the other hotels along the front, but that was nice because when you came back to the hotel you could just have a quiet drink by the pool before bed.
This was our first holiday for 5 years and had a fantastic time."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of July 2010

My first summer holidays in Spain and Monteplaya made it better

Reviewed Thu 17th of June 2010

"I have been to Monteplaya Hotel in Malgrat De Mar on 23-30 July 2009. That was in fact my dream to have some special holidays in Spain. Me and my fiance found out some special offer that was issued by Monteplaya Hotel. After we saw some photos and found info, decided to go there from Tirana (Albania). We made the check-in at 12.30pm, because that was the only time when we could get our room available. Finally we had our room (very clean, well positioned with the beach) and there was a train station which was near the hotel. Staff were very friendly. They respected us and made us feel like being home. The pool was great and very clean. A 2-level pool with palms surrounded. The base level separated to the small child pool. The second level had cold water massage body pool. The hotel was very clean too. There were security cameras to each floor. You can find really professional Tour Operators who will made you holidays unforgettable. Well I would like to return as soon as possible to Barcelona and certainly to Monteplaya when we had these wonderful holidays. Hope to get there.. "

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2010

excellent & enjoyable holiday

Reviewed Fri 21st of August 2009

"Hotel:
STAFF were excellent, friendly ,efficient,very helpful from cleaner to reception,waiters(receptionist happily sorted a birthday cake with candles for my youngest and gladly spent 1 hour phoning to sort our airport transfer with uk agent)

HOTEL ROOMS : We stayed as a family of 4 (2 adults and 8 and 11 yr old) the room was enough for our 12 night stay (we were fine with 2 double beds as we only changed and slept there & moved furniture to suit). Air conditioned (no extra charge) , cleaned, fresh towels frequently, refundable deposit for tv remote,safe extra cost,fridge 15 euros a week. Room had a balcolny which overlooked next hotel their entertainment could go on to midnight but my youngest still slept.
POOL: main pool goes deep to 8 ft quickly (no probs for my eldest but had to be with my 8 yr old (used a string float with no problem)- kids pools small-we used top jacuzzi pool with jet spays (should be a relaxing pool when older age group in but used it to teach youngest swimming as 3ft deep and is of good size)
FOOD: My fussy children were well fed: breakfast,evening meal the english and continentals well catered for in a buffet style and as many visits as you want in your time (nearly 2 hours breakfast and 1 hour evening )

SITUATED
5-10 MINS walk to station-6.20 euros return to barcelona(a must try open top buses,gaudi cathedral,nou camp),1 hour train ride and can get full
5 MINS walk from sant susana (more shops and small fun fair)
5 MINS to beach (long but shingle not fine sand and sea not suitable for children 10 yards in it gets quite deep only negative of hol but same all along coast),
try catamran to tossa de mar for nice day out from beach nr station
2 MINS to secure walk in cash machine,(pick pockets a threat especially flower sellers although I had no problems)
short walk to bars (english try rovers return , black bull, crown,eureka.)
A couple of nights we were woken by noisey drunks in early hours but never a big problem

We achieved what we set out to do and will revisit barcelona in future to visit montserrat and gaudi park which im told is a must do , all in all a very satisfying holiday and wouldnt hesitate to recommend the hotel from our experiences.

A Big Thank you to all concerned with The Monteplaya

• Travel date: Fri 21st of August 2009

Monteplaya Hotel A+++++

Reviewed Mon 13th of October 2008

"I thought the hotel was lovely, I went with my parents and a friend, even though it was mainly old people there, I could not really fault the whole holiday! Food was pretty awesome, and service was excellent! Bar staff and waiters were extremely helpful all the time. All staff were lovely to us, even the one people mention as the grumpy one. I give A+++++++ for the hotel. Keep up the good work Monteplaya! x x"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of October 2008

We stayed at the Monteplaya 4 adults and...

Reviewed Fri 13th of June 2008

"We stayed at the Monteplaya 4 adults and 4 children.
If you are under 60 do NOT go to this hotel, If you have children do Not go to this hotel.
There is nothing for the children to do here, they were told to be quiet by the grumpy staff on numerous occasions, We were even told to be quiet one evening at 11.30pm by the old dear next door, we were out on balcony watching thunder and lightening, the thunder was making more noise than us!!
The breakfast is ok, but evening meal did not cater for british at all, there were chips every night, any food that was left over was made into something else for the following day, they even served chicken nuggets for breakfast. A group of german school children turned up midweek and then the menu was slightly better. Do try the mousse very interesting!
Malgrat is a nice place, Santa susanna more modern and up to date, Try the Black Bull and Eureka Bar as they are very friendly and reasonably priced.
We would go back to this resort again, but to a different hotel,as this one is definitley NOT suitable for families or anyone under 60."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of June 2008

very clelan hotel, food fine for price w...

Reviewed Wed 21st of May 2008

"very clelan hotel, food fine for price we paid.Could be noisy on the saturday night , but most other nights ok. We are returning this june 2008 wo will add a further review, after our visit. We are travelling with holidays direct, It is placed in a good area in malgrat, near the railway station. It is a great place for seeing other areas, the train was very cheap, and we visited barcelona twice, callela lloret. All were lovely places. Santa susana is nice as well and you can have a good walk along the promenade"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2008

Where do i start???? My husband, 2 kids...

Reviewed Sun 4th of May 2008

"Where do i start???? My husband, 2 kids aged 7years and 7months and myself have just returned from a weeks holiday at this hotel (today in fact). Staff were friendly although sometimes a grumpy female receptionist was on. Hotel was extremely clean, Fresh towels and beds made every day (if you dont leave items on them).
They were the good points, now for the bad... Food was... what can i say?? Made for the foreigners, if your looking for the slightest bit of english food then you will find none here. Breakfast wasn't to our tastes at all not one single english bit of food so after that we ate out every breakfast time (try the crown and anchor down the road) which defeats the object of paying for half board. What ever was left over was reheated for the next day and disguised as something else. Evening meal eating times were from 7pm till 8.45 but you are allocated a time slot and table. Ours was 8pm which is quite late for the kids, the manager noticed that we had eaten out one night and changed our eating times which was nice of him.
Nothing for the kids whatsoever, although we were shocked to find we were the youngest there, aged from 7months to 29 years every one else was 50+. BOGOF in the hotel bar only happened once while we was there. Usual price for alcohol, about 3.20 euros for a pint and 4.50 for a spirit with mixer (quite dear i think), Would highly recommend the black bull around the corner for a good/cheap night out. One night we decided to stay in the bar for the night so after shopping for presents we headed back to the hotel and into the bar, not shocked to find it packed which was a good sign until we entered the bar everyone turned around and looked at us and within 0.5 seconds all the spare chairs were gone! It was like a 50% off sale at oxfam!!! I was quite surprised and to least say SHOCKED to see that all the spare chairs wern't filled with people, but HANDBAGS not one person offered us a chair or even to join them at the table, they just stared at us like we were ailens. DEFINATLY NOT RECOMMENDED FOR FAMILIES WITH KIDS OR THE YOUNGER GENERATION. This infuriated my husband as OAP's always say 'the younger generation have no respect for us older people' excuse me but where is the respect for us? You have to give respect to recieve it!!! After this incidednt it put us right off the whole holiday, but we made it our own by visiting lloret a few times, only a short train and bus ride there it costs peanuts. Marineland is a must! Great day out.
Glad to say we will not be returning to this hotel, but if your 50+ and enjoy spanish food then its ideal for you."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of May 2008

Very pleasant check-in and we had our ro...

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2007

"Very pleasant check-in and we had our rooms by 10am.

Room was spotless and we had fresh towels everyday and room was also cleaned everyday by a very friendly cleaner.

Excellent choice of food but seemed to be same things everyday. We had wine with lunch and dinner every night which added to the great value price.

Pools very small (Max 45 people in the two pools) but plenty of room to lie down and relax and soak up the rays. Drinks served at your free sun bed.

Hotel is excellent value (we booked through Shearings) but would not recommend the 30+ hour coach/ferry journey each way.

DO NOT LEAVE TIPS FOR CLEANER IN ROOM WHEN YOU LEAVE - GIVE IT DIRECT TO CLEANER. We left 10euro and some loose change and only loose change remained after head housekeeper had been in room ahead of the cleaner.

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

Hotels near Sumus Hotel Monteplaya

Stayed at Sumus Hotel Monteplaya? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sumus Hotel Monteplaya

• Andis Resuli (ALBANIA) by Andis Resuli (ALBANIA)

"Love to be back there...Hope as soon as possible "

• Meesh by Meesh

"Malgret de Mar ideal location "

• wiccan by wiccan

"very central, you can pick up the train outside, loads of shops right outside "

• bonita by bonita

"Book further down rather than here. "

Sumus Hotel Monteplaya is also called