About GHT Balmes Hotel, Apartaments & Splash

• pets allowed
  • hot tub
  • tv channel one russia

Good

Well.. First and fore most callela was a...

Reviewed Thu 27th of March 2008

"Well.. First and fore most callela was a beautiful city and a pleasure to have visited. The scenery and beach life is really exciting.
As my first time in spain due to a 25 hour coach trip all the way from Wales,We Found our rooms not ready which was an inconveinience beacause they told us they would be ready.
So We had to take the children out into the town to buy a couple of things while waiting. Mind this was about 40 because we were a school.
Apon everyone was tired and needed a shower. After two hours of an exhausting wait, we finally made it into our rooms and freshend up.
After all that racket and discomfort in the night the children were tired and wanted some rest not knowing flamenco sill dances would keep us up all night with their stampeding and everything which was not helpful and rather disrupting.

• Travel date: Thu 27th of March 2008

Hotel clean & tidy, close enough to the...

Reviewed Thu 4th of October 2007

"Hotel clean & tidy, close enough to the main shopping street about 10 minutes from beach.

Pool quiet small but adequate plenty of beds. Food very good plenty of it at least 1 meat dish & 1 fish dish daily but usually more, continually being replenished throughout the sitting. Buffett style and you can go up as many times as you like. Entertainment not so good, but it was the end of the season.

Resort itself not too lively but I did not want disco's or clubs, I wanted to relax and recharge my batteries and this fitted the bill perfectly. Train station about 10 mins away and you can get to Barcelona in just under the hour, with an amazing journey along the coast. Be careful though on trains and in Barcelona itself a lot of reports of pick pocketing so hold tight to your purses and wallets especially on the train/station.

On the downside, plumbing noisy, beds not comfortable and only one pillow. Would not recommend to families with teenagers or young couples looking for brilliant night life, but if you want to relax have some good food and enjoy the local bars then this is for you."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Balmes

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Balmes for a week with my 7 yr old daughter. The rooms are very clean with clean towels every day, but the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything that is said next door. I found it very noisy with groups of young people running up and down shouting all through the night and why do people slam doors late at night??. Not a good place if you are a light sleeper and the beds are not comfortable.Food was ok nothing special we didnt go hungry but i didnt think it was great, but there was lots of fresh fruit breakfast and dinner. Not far from the beach but as you walk into the sea it drops about 3 foot so my daughter only went in once. The entertanment starts late and its not all that but good for the kids. Met some nice people there a lovely couple with their children and parents whom my daughter and theirs played most of the week so a big hello to Jada's family."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of August 2007

Had a great time

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We have just returned from 10 brilliant days at The Hotel Balmes. The rooms were spotless, cleaned daily, the food was great and the staaff helpful. In a quieter part of Calella which suited us but we could walk into mainpart in about 15 minutes.Calella beaches are safe and only a short walk from hotel. We took the train to Barcelona for 6 euros each and had a great day walking around the sights. Also took the train to Gerona for 5 euros, although the journey is less direct and took about 2 hours! Good shopping in Calella and a lovely atmosphere at night time. We had a great time and I would recommend hotel toanyone."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of August 2007

Balmes, Calella

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Excellent hotel: spotlessly clean, excellent food, nice staff and in a good part of town away from all the clubs. If you like Calella and you're not into clubbing I couldn't recommend this hotel highly enough. However, I personally wasn't impressed with the resort which had little going for it and was a touch on the grotty side.

I would recommend this hotel as a base for exploring the surrounding area by car or train. Parking can be very tricky though so you might want to pay for a space in a car park (we were quoted 12 euro's a day by the hotel).

If you have a car I recommend driving up the coast through Lloret and Tossa and on to Sant Feliu de Guixols - fantastic drive. We also went up into the hills to Monseny as far as Calformic which offers wonderful views. If you want to see Barcelona though - take the train, it's only about 3e's return and the station is about 15 mins walk from the Balmes."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of June 2007

Hotel great, but in a rundown part of town

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"hi there,

just returned from the hotel Balmes,the hotel is a 3star and one of the cleanest I have been in, the bedrooms are larger than most, and our on suite was new, the staff are very helpful, the pool is not large but very nice, the food was better than average imo, we where very happy with the hotel, but entertainment was for one night only out of the seven

this hotel was advertised as a family hotel, but was over run by German 17-23 year olds, as was the resort, most mornings we where awaken between 3-5am with young Germans carrying on, and being loud, but no trouble just young people having a good time, ,

The big let down of this hotel and has not been mentioned by other users, was its location, its advertised as being in a good position in the old quater of the town, it actually is in a very rundown part of the town, with a hotel being demolished, near by, and building work going on, the streets near the hotel are not nice, and not clean, we called them dog pooh alleys.

I was in Calella 15 years ago and thought of it as a nice resort then, I would not advisea friendto go to this resort unless you are a German in your teens /early 20's, not many British people here in my holiday week but the Brits i talked to, did not like this resort, the good points are, the railway station, giving easy access to Barcelona and alot of the costal resorts, a resort near called Santa Susana, was spotless clean and very nice, and safe to walk at night.

My family and i enjoyed our holiday in the hotel Balmes,

Best points of holiday nice hotel, Barcelona visit, Marineland visit, Santa Susanna visit (night only) and Calella beach

Worst points location of hotel,and Calella resort seems a little rundown"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

Loving the Balmes

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We have just returned from a weeks stay at the Balmes in Calella and I cannot praise it enough, the staff were fantastic as was our club cantabrica rep.
We travelled to the resort by coach, which all ran well on time and was excellently organised. We had some dreadful weather on the way down through france but the staff handled it very well and the driver was very safe and professional.
The hotel was in a fantastic location only 350metres from the beach, and the beach is superb it is really wide and sandy and is lined with lots of bars and restaurants and shops.
The half board provided by the hotel was of a very good standard and the buffet style meals always offered a great selection and even though I am a fussy eater I always found something that i enjoyed.
The bedrooms had airconditioning but we didnt need it this early in the year, the rooms all had sunny balconies overlooking the pool.
All in all I would definatly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a sun holiday in a great resort. The resort has everything you could need right on its doorstep and is only a short train ride from Barcalona and Gerona, which is great for daytrips. I thought the hotel was great and at such a reasonable price with coach travel I will definatly go back. Club Cantabrica were excellent."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of May 2007

relaxing and comfortable

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"we recently visited the balmes hotel on a last minute deal and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were neat and tidy with clean linen and towels provided daily. the staff were all friendly and helpful. the pool area had plenty of sun loungers and a bar to provide snacks and drinks - all day long! the meals were buffet style and the food could appear bland, however there was plently of it, not much choice for vegetarians. The setting was good on the edge of calella, near to the beach and within easy reach of the train station. Fully recommend a trip to Barcelona 3 euros each way. My family and friends would return again."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006

Good place and not in the Clubby bit!!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"We have just come back from a 5 day break at the Hotel balmes and as a couple it was fab for us.
The location is on the edge of Calella and a good 30 min walk if you want the clubs which we did not! when you are dropped off by coach you think oh my god where am I but the location is perfect for all....300m from the beach, the railway station a 10 min walk for a 40 min journey into Barcelona for 6 Euros return...fantastic!!
The hotel is very old fashioned and like a time warp to 1974 BUT it is immaculate and the cleaners really do clean every oriface!!
The pool is medium in size but again it is kept very clean and run at a perfect temperature.
Beware there are a lot of Dutch here so if you are English you are the minority as we only met 2 other families from the UK.
We kept our room on as we had a late flight and the Hotel charged 30 euros and the cleaners again cleaned our room and gave us all clean towels, plus cleaned the bathroom again.
cheap as chips for a week, maybe if you are going for 2 weeks a bit too much walking BUT overall I highly recommend the Hotel Balmes....."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006

Formula 1 and Barcelona V Arsenal week.

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Our first worry was whether we would be able to park the hire car but for E35 we were given a space in the nearby underground ( and i mean underground car park). That sorted we had to leave a deposit of E10 for the TV remote and another E15 for the garage remote. We should have guessed that with the Grand Prix being held that weekend there would be a few GP fans , but they were in the main very well behaved and added a bit of colour . The idiots in the room above us were very noisy but the night staff stopped it right away. Given the choice I'd probably avoid that weekend.
The double room was two beds pushed together but fairly comfortable. The room was not for the too prudish though as it had a glass (frosted) panelled door to the bathroom. The water was hot , shower good and you'll never be lonely in the loo. Balcony small but enough for two.
The lift was a bit of a walk but it takes you into the bar area., nice barmen.
I'm not too keen on half board but thats all they apparently do . The food was fairly good and catered for all the nationalities , including the Spanish who seem to use it. Not sure about the rice and baby Octopus though. The soup was catering style but the rest of the food was fairly good. Ok Ok i pigged out most nights and had a four course meal of my choosing. The Chef is seen walking to and from the kitchen every 15- 20 minutes checking and restocking the food buffet.
The Hotel is a 5 minute walk to the shops , sorry but they look the same as anywhere else. A 10 minute walk takes you to the train station where a return ticket, including the five zones, to Barcelona cost about E6 per person , very cheap . The train takes straight to the heart of Barcelona where the La Rambla is . A good walk takes through to the harbour and Olympic building opposite their Trade centre. Walk back through the Gothic area to the cathedral cloisters. We sat in a small square , listened to a young woman sing softly and play guitar watching the dogs on the balcony - a brilliant moment .
All in all not a bad Hotel and it has excellent access from Girona airport and to the local coast line."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

Really enjoyable stay

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Really enjoyed our week long stay here. The staff are extremely helpful, helped with booking trips, directions etc. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from the main shopping area and beach. The train line runs along the beach and it's very easy to get to barcelona from here. We stayed on an all inclusive deal and i enjoyed the food (and i'm a fussy eater!), during our stay the evening meal menu was only repeated once. There was always a good choice of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and if you were out and about they would provide a packed lunch. The only downside was that you had to pay for the drinks that you had with your meal even on all inclusive, but a bottle of water was not much. Our rooms were clean and the sheets and towels were changed regularly (every day if you didn't put the do not disturb sign up!) The hotel is situated in a quiet area which is nice, has little bakeries and cafe nearby. Would stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

great location. good value for money

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We cannot help but keep going back. It is central to the shops, beach and nightlife. It is very quiet and the staff fall over themselves to help you. the train station is just a few minutes walk away and the trains run every 15-20 minutes. the accomodation is good and the food is ok but the best thing about the hotel and resort is the freedom to do as much or as little as you want."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of January 2005