HOTEL SH IFACH

Avenida Juan Carlos I S/N, 03710 Calpe Spain

impressed with Hotel Sol Ifach

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Flew back last night, spent a week at the Hotel Sol Ifach, Bed and Breakfast, The Hotel was superb, food was excellent. The rooms are very spacious and clean. The cleanliness of the Hotel cannot be faulted.. The indoor and outdoor swimming pools are lovely. Sol Ifach is in a very good position, very near to the beach and the Port. The beach is wondeful, very inviting. The Port has some very good Seafood Restuarants. I have only 2 negative comments to make 1 The Bar staff could of been a bit more friendlier. A smile is the same in any language. 2, The lack of brewing up facilities in the room. If like me, you like a cuppa sat on the balcony last thing at night and first thing in the morning take a travel kettle with you. The Reception staff were very helpful and polite. I would definately stay at the Sol Ifach again."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of October 2007

nice stay

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"just returned from a week at the sol ifach calpe.
On arrival hotel lobby was very welcoming,could not say the same about the reception staff,a very cold welcome,the reception staff could maybe learn a few lessons from the very welcoming and helpful staff in the restaurant,especially the girl who signed you in every morning for breakfast so pleasant!!!!!
Overall the hotel was very clean and comfortable,the room was adequate and the breakfast selection was lovely.
Alot of Spanish families use this hotel,so waiting for the lifts was a major problem as the families had prams etc so lifts became very full very quickly,a little furstating when you are on the 14th floor.
Pool area very nice and very clean.
We enjoyed the stay in this hotel but i dont believe i will return."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

In A Nutshell

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"In A Nutshell.

THIS HOTEL IS NOT REALLY GEARED TO CATER FOR BRITISH HOLIDAY MAKERS. WHY ?
Well for a start, the staff were reasonably friendly but very few could speak much English. This is not what you expect in a 4 star hotel. Many of the the staff seemed very young. One lad at reception couldn,t have been more than 15/16. One female bar person told me that most of the staff were just there for the summer and for many this might have been there first hotel job . ( 4 star hotel staff? ) To make things worse the entertainment, or animation staff spoke no English at all. I tried to ask them in the lift one day if there was any entertainment for English speaking guests and all i got was shrugging of shoulders and a "no comprende" reply. Anyway from what we saw the night time entertainment was really, really poor. I doubt i could have stuck it for even one night even if i had understood it.
We were breakfast only and even this was hopeless. The buffet layout caused endless bottlenecks and it felt like i was in the stores on the last day before xmas. The wife, kids and myself all agree that the breakfast juice out of the machines, which was all there was, was the most disgusting we have ever tasted. What we would do was go down to the lobby bar or pool bar later and get the kids a fresh squeezed orange from those juicing machines that many bars have. Well we would have, if they ever had any oranges. On the days that we were told that they had no oranges ( spain, no oranges ? - 4 star hotel ? ) We would take them to a cafe/restaurant near the hotel. I complained after a few days about this and quick as a flash suddenly there were oranges everwhere. All i can assume is that they couldn't be bothered. ( 4 star service ? ) We ordered a bottle of wine one night to take out on the veranda. The only problem was the girl behind the bar didn't have a bottle opener. She phoned around and after 10 mins someone appeared with the opener, only for her to break off the cork whilst still in the bottle. i offered to open it and i think she was glad to leave it to me. Another night at the lobby bar we ordered 2 drinks and i handed over 20 euro note. Not a large note but with no change in the till it was to big. I should have stood my ground and left it to him to sort out but there were other people waiting to get served so i asked my younger son to go to reception and get it changed for 4 x 5 euro notes to give to the bar staff. ( 4 star service ? )

Our 2 boys (16 and 13 years) like to go on the internet. Outside the hotel we found several places and prices ranging from 2.10 / 2.50 euros per hour. The hotel had 2 terminals, although one was sometimes a bit temperamental, at 3.00 euros per 1/2 hour or 5 euros per hour. The most expensive internet we have come across anywhere. A rip-off.

The facilities in general were awful. There was one air hockey table which worked only a few days of our holiday. There were 2 pool tables one which was out of order for a week and a football table in poor order.
The fitness suite is a joke. What you don't see in the picture is that it is next to the kiddies play room with a door between them. The young kids at every opportunity are in the fitness room, unsupervised, climbing all over the machines. The result is most of the equipment is broken or damaged and the staff don't seem bothered in any way.
I will briefly mention a few other things. Maid service and clumps of hair on the floor after they had left our room. Open access from the street for anyone with a towel to just walk into the grounds of the hotel bypassing reception and on over to the pool. How can this be?
Dirty glass panels around reception/pool area which were never cleaned whilst we were there.
Difficult parking anywhere around the hotel.
View of the rock as we expected but also on this side of the hotel is a 21 storey apartment block called apollo 17 which is uncomfortably close to the hotel.
Very noisy resort and the sound of building work never too far away.
Watch out if you have young kids. Channel 23 on room tv is a german adult tv channel which reception said they cant block.
Wardrope in rooms suprisingly not that big.
i discussed a number of points with reception and was told that 4 stars in spain doesn't mean what it might elsewhere. at this point i gave up.
I wouldn't recommend Calpe unless you like resorts such as Benidorm, which is basically what it is, only smaller: and if you like Benidorm then why go to Calpe?
For the money we paid it was poor and it will make us think twice booking ourselves online."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Great hotel and surroundings

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Returned last week from two weeks in the Sol Ifach. The food was excellent with a very good choice, salad bar, fish, meats etc. the only downside was - too many chips. The Restaurant Staff were always cheerful and came to you as soon as you arrived at your table.We were on All Inclusive so had our meals mostly in the hotel. There were a mixture of ages during this period, there were young Spanish families, Spanish pensioners (who were full of vigour), students, Spanish and English couples in their 30's and 40's and over 50's plus. The area around the hotel had the beach about a 3 minute walk away with a nice promenade, with bars and shops, at this time of the year all of the bars were not open, but those that were, were very friendly and pleasant. There was a bus to the town, or of course, a taxi, but we walked which took about 20 minutes. There is also a harbour with a boat which goes to Benidorm and a glass bottom boat. The main feature in Calpe is the Rock which can be seen everywhere you go in and beyond Calpe. From the harbour there is a very pleasant walk which takes you about 1/2 a mile on one side of the Rock, where rock climbers and divers go.
For a very good meal the fish restaurants at the harbour can be recommended.
We enjoyed our 2 weeks at the Sol Ifach and would not hesitate to return."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of April 2006

Sol ifach

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"Have just returned from 2 weeks in Calpe. This hotel is really nice, the staff are friendly and helpful. We were on Bed & breakfast basis so I can't comment on the evening meals. We were spoilt for choice for breakfast though which is on a buffet style and caters for any preference. Picnics are available too if you let them know in advance. We were on the 11th floor and had a view of the Pen. The lower floors would be looking at other apartments which have unfortunately been put up. A pool view would be best. The room was lovely with continental size bed and plenty of storage. In early season this hotel appears to be occupied mainly by Saga clients who are lovely don't get me wrong, but the evening entertainment is tailored for the more mature generation shall we say.

The only downside is we were a little bit early in the season, so the outdoor pool was not cleaned and ready for use until the last day of our holiday. (we came home on the 17th March). But the poolside area is beautiful and will be fantastic in spring. The only other problem season wise, is that the vast majority of restaurants at this end of Calpe were not open, only a handful. Two I would recommend are Tequila's, turn right out of the hotel walk up a couple of steps to the sea front,turn left, it's about 200 yds down very friendly and nice food. The other is on the right on the corner as you walk up the steps (forgotton the name.

Majority of the time we walked to the centre, which took aboout 20mins or 5 euro's in a taxi. The Toledo is one of the best restaurants in Calpe in my opinion and is run by Pedro and his wife, the food is fantastic as is his hospitality. It is well known so the taxi driver will take you straight there. Also the Gran Murala chinese restaurant is lovely."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of March 2006

fab

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"This hotel was fantastic, a great base to explore Calpe and the surrounding area.

I found the hotel rooms to be very clean and spacious with great views, It was nice to have breakfast on the terrace there is a great view of the ifach you may even see people on the top whilst your tucking into your croisants.

My only critisum is we went in October the weather was Perfect but it seemed to be somewhat of a Saga Hotel i Think we were the youngest by about 35 years.

Calpe has a huge number of good places to eat and Drink such as Itallian Greek German Swiss Mexican Chinesse as well as some great Spanish places (the sea food is amazing) you will be spoilt for choice.

All in all i would not think twice about staying at this hotel again it was a delight."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of November 2005

A lovely hotel!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"The SH Ifach is a large modern hotel in the centre on Calpe. Its great value for money, we booked through hotelopia.com and got a good deal. The rooms are excellent with big balconies, and lovely large marble bathrooms. We were on the 15 floor (the top) and if you dont mind heights I would recommend heigher the better!! the views were lovely!!
The hotel isnt on the beach, which is a shame, but we enjoyed the stroll (5mins) to the beach, where all the resturants were. We didnt sample the dinners at the hotel, but there are so many lovely place to eat in Calpe I would recommended Bed and Breakfast. The Breakfast was buffet style, alot of choice...but a shame they didnt do late breakfasts it only went on until 10am."

• Travel date: Mon 18th of July 2005

A Very Nice Hotel

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We have stayed in this hotel twice when visiting my son who lives along this coast. Both times it has been very good. The bedrooms are very large, with good size balconies. Its a few minutes from the beach. It is very clean. We only had breakfast, which is buffet, so you can eat as much as you like.
The pool and public room areas are very clean. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the harbour area where there are loads of fish resturants.
Overall a very good choice if you want to stay in Calpe."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of May 2005

Overall very good

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Super rooms and hotel environment.

Food in restaurant good choice initially but gets a bit repetitive.

Views getting ever worse due to the number of new apartments/hotels going up in the area.

Bar very good value!! Never heard of optics here!!!

Calpe is very resortey but some nice places around the area worth hunting out, including a beautiful walk along the coast going North for several miles."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of February 2005

Good hotel.

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"We were very happy with this hotel. Our room was spacious, modern and clean with a large private balcony. Tip: ask for room with pool view and if possible a high floor room. We had a great view over Calpe to the mountains beyond. If you are on the other side of the hotel (even numbered rooms) you face an equally high rise building which cuts off all the sunlight and of course, no view. The buffet meals were adequate though it was chips with everything and there was no gravy for the meat dishes. However, we never left the restaurant hungry.
The restaurant staff were friendly so overall we found this hotel to be better than average."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of December 2004

JET 2 HOLIDAYS NEVER AGAIN - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Reviewed Mon 14th of April 2014

"Never been with jet 2 holidays and now never will again - don't care if its free - I have been to lots of places either booked myself or with tour operators

I had never been to Portugal and began to look around for a good deal for a week in June - Looked at JET2 holidays and although not cheap they seem to offer a reasonable deal 1 week in Portugal 4 star property flights transfers £400 each

The disaster of a holiday started non to well - delayed at Manchester airport for a could of hours - problems with the aircraft - ok it happens - we eventually boarded but we then sat on the aircraft for 1 and half hours on the hottest day of the year - everyone on board sweating buckets - the air crew sipping bottles of water - guess what no one else got any until take off - when they fell over trying to sell you over priced tea coffee and food

On arrival at the FARO - we where told to wait around and some one will tell us where to catch the bus to resort - our driver appeared and said follow me - I'm telling you using the bolt had nothing on this guy - he was across the airport in seconds - while we all followed and tried dot find him in a packed car park

Once on board all I can say is mini bus - we where off - I tell you 80 mile an hour around those bends on the way to the resort oh and for good measure the driver was txting all the way there -

so to the apartments - ok at best rough around the edges - 4 star may be in 1974 !!!!!! but you could put up for it - part from the fact that the toilet exploded yes exploded there was filth all over the bathroom - seeping through the floor - water all over the place

Reported to the complex staff - 3 days later they fixed it mean while no shower for 3 days !!!!!!!!!

on return home - I got a call from JET 2 - Hi how are you did you have a good holiday - not really - oh right bye

I went through there complaints process - which is designed to put you off - you send in an email - they will respond within 4 weeks !!!!! you get a reply - and you reply 4 weeks !!!!! before you get a reply

12 months later - all I have had is one letter saying oh dear about the apartment and a statement saying that their drivers use Bluetooth communications !!!! HELLOOOOOOO - is there a new hands free text system !!! don't think so
I know he was doing 80 miles an hour and texting as I was the guy sat next to him!!!!!

BASICALLY JET 2 DON'T GIVE A TOSS - THEY TAKE YOUR MONEY AND THEN THAT'S IT THEY WILL DELIVER ANY OLD CRAP THEN WASH THEIR HANDS - IF YOUR PREPARED TO GET THE CHEAPEST DEAL - SOME ROPEY HOTEL AND HAVE B=NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE CRACK ON BOOK WITH THEM EVERY TIME - IF NOT LOOK ELSE WHERE

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of April 2014

Even the spanish guests were lovely!

Reviewed Wed 22nd of April 2009

"Stayed over Easter time with my husband. very crowded with spanish families, but I particularly didnt mind the kids. It was easy to get away from the noise since the hotel is close to the beach and a long promenade.
Food is the best I've ever had on holiday, very varied, and though not particularly rich, the chef knows what he is doing. The spanish tend to eat later, so there was no overcrowding. Rooms are clean and spacious. The staff is amazing. Need to brush up on their english though.
Over the 2 weeks we spent out evenings at the bar area. Entertainment every night. Though quite hilarious. One night though we loved the singer from malta. Got his name and photo signed, Jon Silver. He was the only one who managed to get all of the crowd onto their feet, dancing the night away, literally. And the management brought him back again 3 other times over the two weeks. The spanish seemed to like him as well.
Will definately return to this hotel. Memorable holiday.

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of April 2009

Hotels near HOTEL SH IFACH

Stayed at HOTEL SH IFACH? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for HOTEL SH IFACH

• PGradd by PGradd

"tranquil lovely views, long promenade "

HOTEL SH IFACH is also called