Perfect location but watch out for the old folk

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We've just returned from a week in Benidorm, staying half-board at the Don Pancho.

Having done our research before we booked the hotel we were aware that this was one for older people. We didn't see this as a problem since we only wanted to sleep and (maybe) eat there.

Rooms:
The room was a little smaller than expected as we had been told it sleeps 2-3 adults (I'm not sure where the third person would have had to sleep). It was a reasonable size though with an en-suite bathroom and a balcony. The beds, however, were horrendous. Very uncomfortable. Satellite TV was available in the room but without many channels (CNN, Sky News and Five as the main ones). The room was cleaned daily and there was a little mini bar which had enough space in there for you to store your purchased water (rather than buy theirs!).

Food:
We never actually made it back to the hotel for lunch but breakfasts had a choice of everything you'd need and dinners were ok. I'm a pretty fussy vegetarian so am difficult to please but I still found enough to eat. Men are expected to wear trousers for dinner although one or two didn't. One thing to bear in mind is that at dinnertime, all drinks are chargeable (even water) which was a surprise to us. You can drink as much orange juice/tea/coffee as you like at breakfast though.

Location:
The hotel is perfectly situated - about 100m or so from the Levante beach. I'm not sure how busy this beach would be in peak season but there was a lot space when we were there and you could hire out sun beds and umbrellas for 4€ each.

There are lots of bars and cafes to eat and drink in near the hotel too. I would recommend Bar Sol (head down to the beach from the hotel and walk left along the beach front). Good food (lunch) and drink there.

There's also a supermarket shop just out the front and to the left of the hotel and a machine across the road that sells bottled water and coke etc.

Hotel in general:
From the outside, when the bus first pulled up to drop us off, we thought the hotel looked a bit shabby. It wasn't though and we were pleasantly surprised once we reached the entrance. Checking-in was pretty quick and the Reception desk staff were all very helpful and spoke good English. This is not a hotel for children though and is predominantly full of older people (some of whom were quite rude and would push in or push past you, particularly at meal times). This was a little annoying but it was also quite amusing.

There were two pools (looked quite small) but we couldn't think of a reason to go to the pool when the beach was so close.

The evening entertainment was definitely intended for the older guests (we didn't go but we could hear the 'tie the yellow ribbon round the old oak tree' song being piped out while we were in the bar downstairs).

All in all a good stay for the price. I wouldn't take children here though."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of July 2008

The Place To Stay

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"After fifteen years, we decided to visit Benidorm again. We knew the location of the Don Panco was ideal for everything that is going on in Benidorm. Having read reveiws, the hotel matched it's reputation. We were not dissapointed. The Don Pancho excells in service from the moment you arrive until departure. Nothing is too much trouble. Cleanliness is another asset, no hidden corners of dust and the toilets were very clean. There were children there and there is a childrens pool, but this is an adults hotel. Whilst Benidorm was not overly busy the hotel was full, this speaks for itself. If you require, there is entertainment every night. I read in a review that the hotel is dated. Perhaps it is, with quality furniture. Our room was on the 17th floor and a good veiw of the sea. Plenty of wardrobe a drawer space. The restaurant is buffet service and a varied menu, of good food. If we go to Benidorm again it most certainly will be the "Don Pancho" . Ideal for couple's aged 40 plus wanting something a bit better in benidorm."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of July 2008

Quiet hotel, considering it's central location.

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Don Pancho hotel for 4 nights in May to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday. We thought the hotel was in an excellent location for the beach, which was only 100metres away.
The hotel itself looks a bit dated from the outside and could do with a lick of paint, however, inside, we have to say, the hotel was spotless and is well maintained, especially the rooms and public areas. The hotel seems to attract the over 50's, but this was not a problem for us, as it meant there were no rowdy drunks to wake you up at night. Also, as we were travelling with our 21 month old daughter, it meant she was spoilt by the other guests and staff. The hotel has a small outdoor pool and a larger indoor pool, which suited our daughter, as the weather during our stay wasn't good. The food was good, but definately suited the older clientele with hot british dinners etc, so therefore not very adventurous.
Benidorm itself was as we expected, overun with british stag and hen parties, however, you can find the nicer bars along the promenade by the beach in the evening, as the majority of groups have moved up into the town by then.
Overall,we had a good stay at the Don Pancho and would recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of May 2008

nice hotel for adults

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Four of us stayed at the Pancho for a week in April. The hotel is good quality but don't take kids and I was glad we did'nt. The hotel is right on the main street in Benidorm and dos'nt have any gardens. The swimming pool is on the first floor overlooking the street and is very small, they have a small indoor pool adhacent to it, also small. They supply pool towels for a refundable deposit. However, the fabulous Levante beach is only 100 metres away. Benidorm didn't disappoint, they have something for everyone.
The food in the hotel is quite good allthough a little bland and repetive. The room standard is adequate and the room service is excellent. Television is free but limited to only 5 English channels, the usual in Spain.
Overall, we had a nice time in the Don Pancho, but definitely not for kids."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2008

no to children

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"had a good holiday,went for 11 days,we asked to go to the top floor but they could only give us the 14th floor,but this was fantastic,giving great views.rooms were clean.the food in this hotel was ok,i had better food in the PRINCESSA hotel in benidorm,and the same for the swimming pool,the pool in the dom is very outdated.the biggest problem for this hotel is its more like a nursing home,and the local pick-up joint for all the oldies! at the evening ballroom dancing.they sit around most of the day reading their books,tutting if a child walks passed them,we went with two children aged 10yrs and 11yrs,my daughter,husband,and of course myself,aged 55yrs,we kept the children under control at all times,we are not people who get drunk,and just let the children run wild,so if you are going to book this hotel PLEASE DONT TAKE CHILDREN"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

children

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"have just returned from a great holiday in this very nice hotel,which we cannot fault at all,unlike some of the people who was also there,my husband,daughter,grandson,and a foster child,both children are 10yrs old,well behaved,not running around causing trouble,we used to have breakfast then out of the hotel all day on the beach,we camew back and they played in the pool for an hour before getting ready for dinner,again out in the evening,back and then to bed,NO problems to anyone,you would think,but the people who go here really think children should not be here,its full of OLD people who seem to think they are in a 5 star hotel in marbella,they forget its BENIDORM,a FAMILY resort,i paid over two and a half thousand pounds to go there and had a good holiday,IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN PLEASE THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU BOOK THIS HOTEL,its full of moaning GEARIATICS"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

Better Than Expected

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We returned from a weeks stay at The Hotel Don Pancho and although there is not much that I can contribute that has not already been said, however I feel it is necessary for me to put in my two pennies worth just so that the site reflects the latest opinions.

We went with no great expectations because after all this was Benidorm and what we wanted was a weeks R & R with some good weather and that is what we got.

The hotel was better than expected with attentive service, excellent food, good room and an excellent location.

The rooms were very well cleaned on a daily basis with clean linen and towels as required, there was a satellite TV with BBC News, Sky News, CNN and Channel 5, a Fridge, balcony and endless piping hot water, we were on the 13th floor and had a reasonable view overlooking the sea only partially obscured by an apartment block in front of us but not close enough to offer any privacy issues.

The restaurant offered excellent four course plus meals in the form of a help yourself buffet style but with attentive and extremely courteous & helpful English speaking staff. There was always a plentiful amount on offer and the main courses were of a variable daily selection and always to a very reasonable standard.

The hotel offered its own evening cabaret which changed on a daily basis over a seven day period with the exception of Monday when no show was available, or at least while we were there. Although I cannot comment on the performances because we never went because we found that the the local bars and night-clubs offered some great nights out with some excellent comedians, singers Etc but be warned these are mostly of an adult nature, so if you have young people in your party, choose with care! However the hotel does set standards of dress in the evening and we understand that children are accommodated but at no discount, for us this was a plus as the lack of children was a bonus!

As I say we had no great expectations and maybe therefore were easily pleased but The Hotel Don turned out to be a real Jewel in the Crown and we would defiantly consider going back, especially because of the ease of getting to Benidorm."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of April 2008

don pancho hotel ,how much???

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"stayed here in feb 2008 hotel is in a differrent class for the money.
LOCATION,STAFF,MEALS,VIEWS,CLEANLINESS,are for what i paid £760 from glasgow,fantastic ...
i have been to dubai in the past and even the jumeriah beach hotel and burj-el-arab didnt impress my wife as much !!!!
HOTEL DON PANCHO no cowboys here for sure."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of March 2008

Fantastic Hotel.

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for a short - childless break ! We had a lovely time, The hotel is clean and welcoming. The food was fantastic - another diet blown to pieces - there was a breakfast for everyone - full english, toast, tea, coffee, juices, pastries, cheese, ham, cereal - the list goes on and on ! we were full board and the lunches and dinners were the same high quality food with endless choice and a different special every day, roast beef, steak, potatoes, rice, salad, desserts, fruit.......... I defy anyone to go to lunch and not find something they like. although the hotel has a pool and entertainment in the evening - mostly ballroom dancing - I wouldnt really class it as a kids hotel - there were kids there but if i was choosing to take the family, i wouldnt choose this one. The maids cleaned and made beds everyday. nothing was too much trouble for the staff and we even got a free glass of champagne with dinner on monday evening - much appreciated. The location of this hotel for the new part of benidorm if excellent - 50yds from beach, shops or pubs - but still a very quiet hotel , we didnt hear any noise locally - although it is still low season for lager louts !.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough and would go back again tomorrow - if only!!"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of February 2008

December at Don Pancho

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"My wife, 12 year son and I stayed here for a brief stay in December 2007.

As Brits, we found the location perfect - right in the midst of the entertainment, without getting any noise for late revellers, well not in December at least.

The food was excellent - buffet breakfast including good choice of fruit, cereals, and coked British style breakfast, free fruit juice and a "flask" of Hot milk and coffee for each table.

Evening meal was also excellent, with several choices of main course, and a variety of starters and desserts. We never drank at the Hotel bar, so cannot comment on the prices, but they had Sky TV Live Football on a Sunday afternoon.

There is temporary parking right outside the hotel (maximum 2 hours on blue lines) but a couple of minutes walk only behind the bar is White line parking with no restriction. I think the Hotel have their own car park opposite, but I guess that might be quite expensive.

One slight negative was Wireless Internet. I had my laptop with me, and noticed they had WiFi, but was amazed when they quoted me 6 euros an hour to use it, which I thought was over priced.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, agree that it might suit couples more than families, but we'll go again."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of December 2007

All as expected, nice accom, clean, room...

Reviewed Sun 30th of September 2007

"All as expected, nice accom, clean, rooms cleaned daily.

2 minutes from Levante beach, staff extremely helpful and nice. I had misfortune of baggage delay, on telling reception on arrival they bent over backwards to assure me of their help for tracing the case, they did just that, thro phone calls to Alicante airport.

Meals buffet was very acceptable and a varied choice. Reasonable entertainment nightly in hotel, with no rip off prices. WILL BOOK AGAIN."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of September 2007

Having been to Benidorm in various hotel...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"Having been to Benidorm in various hotels over the past 10 years and have been generally unimpressed with most of them. I’ve just returned from a short stay at the Don Pancho with 12 of my male friends to celebrate a birthday who’s ages ranged from 20 to 63 and not one of us had a bad word to say about this hotel, the accommodation was in a lovely clean condition, I liked the use of the wet bar in the room and used it to chill our own drinks.

The selection and quality of the restaurant food was superb and generally had a chef carving what ever meats were on offer and a full English breakfast was always available, the staff were friendly and helpful. the public bars and entertainment rooms were comfy had nightly live music and were well used. The hotel is in the perfect location for all the nightlife without being to intrusive, my room 708 had a magnificent view of the sea which was about 150 mts away. everything about this hotel had a good feel about it. I would like to take my wife back to this hotel and I’m sure she would like it.

We booked our own flights from Bristol and contacted the hotel direct to book the rooms, you get a better deal and you get to choose the room and view that you want, and in our case it worked out very well.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005