Loved the Kaktus

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We returned from holiday last week and like the last reviewer thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Kaktus. Hotel opposite the beach and a long clean promenade. The bedrooms were quite spacious for a hotel and kept very clean. The food was very good and varied. The staff serving all areas of the hotel were excellent, friendly and obliging. There was entertainment most evenings. Altea was a very pleasant walk away. Benidorm was a short bus ride (1E each way), the bus stop was just around the corner from the hotel. The only downside to the hotel, as far we were concerned was there were no parasols, the roof garden was very pleasant with a number of sunbeds, but no shade at all which made it uncomfortable. Not everyone wants to fry!"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

4 star hotel /5 star staff

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"After reading the one and only reveiw on site before leaving for our holiday I was a little apprehencive to say the least. But I needent have worried we really enjoyed 2 relaxing weeks.
The hotel had only just reopened after the christmas break and although it was quiet the food was very good, the rooms well kept and all the staff pleasent and attentive. The hotel is situated right on the sea front with excellent veiws and a lovely clean promenade for walking staight into Altea.
We booked the hotel with Saga and got our own flights but it was no problem at all. We were also able to take advantage of the inclusive tours and the all inclusive tarriff [the one and only draw back being the local brandy they used!! hotel please note and change it! ) .We shall certainly return"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

The room was big enough for us with twin...

Reviewed Fri 17th of November 2006

"The room was big enough for us with twin beds, a seating area and the views from the balcony are wonderful.

If you want a sunny balcony go for the 4th or 5th floor with room numbers from 432, etc. and they aren’t overlooked from the rooftop sun lounge.

There is an indoor pool on the roof and a small fitness area and a hairdresser. Food is good but breakfast has that awful streaky bacon all Spanish hotels use for their buffets.
Good variety of dishes and the fish is superb.

Room was spotless and kept that way as was the whole hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. There are internet kiosks and wifi is also available at extra cost.

Located just across from the beach and if you want great pub grub it’s just around the corner at the Cats Whiskers. Albir is brilliant but quiet so if you want to relax this is it!

• Travel date: Fri 17th of November 2006

Great hotel but could do better.

Good
Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I stayed at the Kaktus Albir in August this year (2006).

This hotel is deserving of its four stars due to the facilities, location etc., however in my opinion, the service from staff would rate it as a 2 star.

Negative Points:

On arrival it was impossible to find anywhere to park - you cannot pull up to the front door and expect vallet parking here! I attempted to get into the underground carpark but was informed via an intercom that I would have to park somewhere else first, then come to reception and pay for a card to get access (12euros per day, cash, with a cash deposit for the card) - not much fun when you are wanting to bring all your luggage in. Eventually I found a parking space on the street not too far away.
I checked into reception and asked if the concierge could get my luggage from the car - WHAT CONCIERGE?

The hotel does not have a concierge or a bell boy - you are expected to get your luggage yourself - although to be fair one of the men on reception helped eventually when he saw me struggling but beware!

If you want to use the safe in your room you have to pay for it and leave a cash deposit for the key.

If you want to use the fridge in your room you have to pay for it.

If you want to use the towels for the pool you have to pay for them and leave a cash deposit for them.
Are you sensing a pattern here?

I only discovered upon checking out that you can get a remote control for the TV in your room from reception if - you guessed it - you pay for it and leave a cash deposit!

The only problem with all of this is that no-one volunteers this information to you - you have to figure it out for yourself.

The hotel expects guests to pay cash for everything as they go along - unless, as I FINALLY discovered after MUCH asking - you open a credit account.

Positive Points:

The hotel is ideally situated right opposite the beach ( be sure to bring water shoes as it is pebble).

There are lots of good resteraunts/cafes right on the door stop.

I had read reviews on other websites which stated that the food was not good - however I can honestly say that I thought the food was very good considering it is all buffert style.

The rooms are basic but clean and very comfortable.

If you are travelling with children this is a great resort as It has lots for little ones - playgrounds at the beach, amusements only 4 minutes walk.

I don't wish to bore so if anyone would like more information please feel free to email me and I'll answer specific questions that way.
([email protected])"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

We can honestly say that this hotel was...

Reviewed Sat 15th of July 2006

"We can honestly say that this hotel was first class. Albir is a delightful resort and the hotel is situated on the sea front.

We were able to take long walks along the very clean and tidy promenade.

The resort is quiet and very well kept. This hotel was top class very friendly staff and cleanliness of the hotel was excellent, food very good and pool areas perfect.

We will certainly be returning in the near future. Well done to the Kaktus and thanks."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006

My partner and I arrived just after midn...

Reviewed Tue 8th of November 2005

"My partner and I arrived just after midnight. The reception we got was not friendly. The hotel is very nice, right by the sea. The room was excellent. The food was well presented, but poor quality.

We ordered two coffees, the handle came off the cup, I went back and the barman laughed, poured the coffee into a drinks glass and said ok ok. Even though the hotel is 4 star I will not go back. Friendliness costs nothing. I will go to the three star in Altea the Cap Negret, the staff there are friendly, as I found out on a visit.

• Travel date: Tue 8th of November 2005

We were very disappointed with the overa...

Reviewed Fri 30th of April 2004

"We were very disappointed with the overall service in this hotel which has a 4star rating.

The hotel is in a prime spot on the front.

We had a guest eat with us one evening and were ashamed of the quality of the food on offer to eat.

Our guest who lives in Spain was not impressed, considering we had been to a pub come restaurant the previous evening were there was 12 of us eating to celebrate a birthday and the service was excellent"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of April 2004

Just got home from an absolute fantastic...

Reviewed Wed 31st of March 2004

"Just got home from an absolute fantastic holiday at the Kaktus Albir. My Mum and me went. Mum is in a wheelchair and we were absolutely delighted with the layout of the hotel including the rooms for Mum. The Hotel was spotless, the reception area was beautiful with a waterfall feature inside. The bar was well laid out and they did some delicious cocktails. Food was very nice; some slightly unusual combinations like pork and strawberries but don’t knock till you try. The staff were very nice. The hotel was right on the front of Albir looking out onto the beach. The only one thing, which could be a draw back to Albir, not the Hotel is that nowhere cashes travellers cheques around that area. Benidorm is the nearest place, which cashes them. If you decide to go, try and make a trip to Mundomar in Benidorm. Watching all the dolphins etc: is breath taking, also the Benidorm show is one to go see. Amazing. Can’t wait to go again."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

Having booked an allocated on arrival ha...

Reviewed Wed 31st of March 2004

"Having booked an allocated on arrival half board holiday for six of us I was sure we would end up in the high rise blocks that dominate Benidorm.

How wrong can you be. This hotel was far better than any of us had hoped for. The public rooms were most impressive and the rooms we were allocated were superb. The quality and variety of food offered was the best we have had for many a long time. The rooftop covered pool was in operation but the sunbathing area on the roof (which is huge) was still being tiled.

We all agreed this was definitely a place to visit again."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2004

Me and my partner had booked this packag...

Reviewed Thu 31st of July 2003

"Me and my partner had booked this package holiday 2 days prior to departure using teletext holidays at a cost of only £230 each on a half board basis. As it was our first holiday together i was slightly apprehensive because it was accomodation on arrival and so i wasn't expecting the site that we saw once we arrived.

When we arrived at the kaktus albir i was amazed at how beautiful the hotel reception/lobby was. After we had checked in we were told that it was a 4 star hotel which was when i realised how lucky we were to end up at this accomodation. The hotel is situated directly off from the beach with many rooms having a balcony with breathtaking views.

During our 7 night stay we were told that the hotel was having a new swimming pool built on the roof of the building, which would have been lovely, however it was not to be completed until a few months later.

The rooms are clean and facillitating with a television, safe, telephone, air conditioning(which are door controlled) and a good shower. The hotel does not offer room service, which would have been nice, however snacks can be purchased at the downstairs bar. The rooms are cleaned every day by friendly staff who will clean your room whether you forget to put a notice out or not. The staff at the reception seemed very friendly.

On a few nights they did do entertainment and it was mostly dancing. In contrast to the days (which were very peaceful) the nights brought many people off the streets to drink on the front bar area which really was relaxing.

The buffet meals were above average compared with many hotels who tend to repeat the same cuisines, however i think that may be due to the fact that we only stayed for a week.

If you fancy a change from some of the hotel meals then go to olas. Walk out of the hotel entrance and turn right. It's just down the road. They do a tasty mediteranian tuna salad and do really nice toasties.

On weekend evenings there is a popular market which sets up just down the road. It is definatly worth a look and if you see anything you like then barter with them because they always lower the price considerably if you remain polite.

If you enjoy waterparks then make sure that you visit Aqualandia in Benidorm. Be brave enough to take on the Kamikaze or black hole slides which are excellent if you are prepared to queue for a while in high season. Don't book this excersion from the hotel as it will be extortion. Buses run to Benidorm every 10 minutes for only 0.80e.

The shingle beach outside the hotel was lovely and less busy than the Benidorm beach but I prefer sand to pebbles myself so we didn't spend much time there. Alternatively hire a peddle boat for 8e and spend an hour soaking up the sun on the sea. Beware of men strolling along the beach enticing you to buy a can of coke from his bag. You will regret it just as i did. 5e for a can that has been in a hot bag all day. You will get no refreshment from it, believe me!

Overall i can tell you that this area and hotel would almost certainly leave your children crying in the corner with boredom. If you are travelling on your own, however, or with a parner and are looking for a relaxing and romantic holiday (with the possibility of livening it up at night in the Benidorm nightclubs) then this is certainly for you!

It was a pleasantly memorable holiday and i wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Kaktus Albir tomorrow if i could. Now thats a thought!

Have a good one!!!!!!!!