great resort and hotel

Reviewed Thu 12th of May 2011

"We arrived back from Roquetas and the Neptuno, last nite after spending a wonderful 4days there.

Do not believe any poor reviews about the hotel. It is very clean, has spacious rooms (ours had 2 double beds), a lovely outdoor and indoor pool, not a huge choice of food but everything we had was very nice. This hotel is predominently used by the spanish, which I personally feel is a good testement.

The resort itself is quiet, you wont find it full of british bars, but lovely spanish ones. Each one brings snacks with every drink ordered. There is a great promanade, which goes on for miles, all flat so great for anyone disabled. If you are looking for full english breakfasts, british bars and plenty of nightlife, this is definately not for you. However if you want a quiet, relaxing break in a friendly spanish resort, this is the place. We will definately be returning soon.

• Travel date: Wed 11th of May 2011

good holiday

Reviewed Tue 12th of January 2010

"This was my first time in spain and I was pleasantly suprised there was a very nice lack of English bars and the usual boorish English holiday makers, yes I am English but like a quiet holiday. Hotel was in a perfect location with a lovely spanish bar just outside the back gate. The outdoor pool was very cold but the small indoor one was perfect. Weather was glorious and our room backed onto the pool so it was easy to lounge around and relax by the pool in the sun. All hotel staff friendly and the rooms more than adequate only thing lacking was a kettle. There was a wide variety of food and we all managed to find a good selection at meal times (even the vegetarian among us. I was sad to leave and will most definately visit again as there was a lot to do in the resort and surrounding areas."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of January 2010

Nice hotel, but.....

Reviewed Tue 25th of August 2009

"I read the reviews on this site after we'd booked the holiday, and was a bit wary of the noise aspect of this hotel. Firstly, i would say that the hotel is excellent, air-conditioned, spacious rooms, all conveniently placed around the pool. The snack bar is good value, and the pool area is spacious and clean. To anyone who has written to the contrary, I say that they were unlucky, because the hotel was spotless. The location was superb, just a short stroll to the beach, shops, pubs and everything.
The main problems were:
This is finicky, but our rep told us that the poolside staff were instructed to remove towels from sunbeds if they looked like they had been 'reserved' - didn't see it happen once, quite frustrating to see an empty pool with a sea of towels on sunbeds!
The worst part was the noise of the evening entertainment. At 10pm every evening, we were treated to party night Spanish style, with a sound system that could have come straight from Wembley. Not what you want when you have young children. We were told that perhaps we should send the kids to bed for the afternoon, but how easy is that, when they're on holiday as well. Although the 'entertainment' was in Spanish (as written in other reviews), to be fair, they did try to involve what few british guests that were there, but gave up if no-one joined in.

Remebering that this is a predominantly Spanish resort, I know I'm not going to change how they do things, but I do think that Thomas Cook should be more honest in their appraisal of the hotel. Having said that, I would go back , but not while my kids are so young."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of August 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Neptuno for a week i...

Reviewed Sun 7th of September 2008

"Stayed at the Hotel Neptuno for a week in September. The hotel was situated not to far from a shingle beach and the main promanade that went for miles but was flat which is great for families with prams and wheelchairs.

The hotel itself was gorgeous and the room was spacious enough for 5 people (1 a toddler) the reception staff were great and the pool area was fanastic it was huge!! and very clean, watch out for the slide though its concrete and I still have a scar on my elbow to prove its a bit mad.

the weather was sunny the whole week and never below 26 in the day and 18 in the night.

I would love to go back to Almeria and this hotel but it is hard to find a flight to Glasgow to Almeria"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of September 2008

Nice hotel, but does not deserve 4 stars...

Reviewed Sat 23rd of August 2008

"Nice hotel, but does not deserve 4 stars. Our first room was not clean. Moved to new room which was spotless. 2 bed apartment great size with large roof terrace type balcony. reception staff OK, but the bar staff were horrible and everything was too much trouble for them.

ENTERTAINMENT - BEWARE - IF YOU WANT TO GO TO SLEEP BEFORE 12 MIDNIGHT DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL!! The entertainement is so loud you will not be able to sleep. Every night kept awake by screaming voices over exceptionaly loud music - kids couldnt sleep before 12 o'clock - it was a nightmare.

Resort is OK but dog mess on streets a problem. They need to sort out the dog poo on the streets and the grass - no one ever seems to clean up after their dogs.

Lovely beach, tapas bars good, but would not go to the resort again as it is a commercial tourist area, not a lot of culture or history there."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of August 2008

We stayed at the Neptuno for a week in J...

Reviewed Fri 1st of August 2008

"We stayed at the Neptuno for a week in July and stayed in a one bedroom apartment on a self-catering basis. I shall start with the good points:
1. The rooms are large with two double beds and air-conditioning.
2. The maids cleaned the rooms thoroughly and to a fantastic standard everyday.
3. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful.
4. The beach is lovely and clean and nice for walking.
5. The supermarket is very close (find the back door in the hotel, as its quicker) and it has a good selection of foods, although english products are more expensive.
6. The pool is lovely, with water slides for the older children and a small baby pool for the younger ones.
7. Nice places to eat out - Roses is lovely (next to supermarket) - does a selection of nice British foods - avoid Ya Da Wakes two doors down from Roses - food was greasy, more expensive and they tried to rip us off by putting more drinks on our bill!!

Now, to the bad points:
1. The entertainment programme is all geared towards the Spanish, as this is a predominately Spanish holiday resort. The music starts quite late 9.30pm and usually goes on til 12am. This isn't a problem if you are spanish, but there is no attempt to involve the british guests and as the music is in the pool area and right next to the rooms, don't expect to get any sleep, especially if you have to stay in with small children. And when a number of guests complained to Thomas Cook rep - they organised an english entertainment programme in some bar down the road - at a cost of 10 euro each - people weren't prepared to pay, when they had been promised entertainment in the brochure! Rip off Tour Operators again!
2. There are no British foods catered for in the snack bar. It is all tapas and again geared towards the spanish guests. And don't even think about paying for ice-creams by the pool - they work out at abou £3 for an ice-cream! Much cheaper down the road.
3. If you leave your towels out and go away (to the loo or whatever) the management come and take your towels off. So someone needs to stay with the sun-loungers at all times.
4. Don't expect to get more than Eurosport and BBC news on the "satelite" tv - again mostly spanish channels. We brought our own portable dvd player and was a godsend with young toddler.
5. Some of the spanish are quite rude and not as friendly as its seen as "their" holiday resort - compared to the spanish holiday resorts geared towards the british - but it is a lovely resort, which is why so many of the spanis choose Roquetas as their holiday destination.

Overall, the resort was lovely, the weather was great, but don't think we'd ever stay in this hotel again - the music was just too loud and went on too long and listening to the spanish voices and shouting constantly got on our nerves.

As for the flies, it isn't really an issue - you certainly don't get them in the apartment. Sometimes annoying when eating out, but you get them everywhere nowadays."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of August 2008

We stayed in the resort of Roquetas in t...

Reviewed Tue 8th of January 2008

"We stayed in the resort of Roquetas in the September before and loved it so much we came back. We took our 4 year old for her first holiday abroad and it was even better than the first time.

The hotel was clean and the staff very willing to help with directions and things to do. The maid's come in every day and change the sheets and give everything a clean whilst you're out.

The buffet style breakfast was OK. There is not a lot of difference each day, pretty much the same all the time but for the money you pay you can hardly complain. There is bound to be something for everyone. The dinner was also about the same every day, however you can walk up to the grill and have a fresh piece of meat or fish. Overall the food is perfectly adequate.

As some other reviewers have said it is full of Spanish people, but you have to remember that this is not a hugely commercialised place in England and isn't that why people go to Spain in the first place?? The staff speak an adequate amount of English, I think its brilliant going somewhere that isn't full of english lager louts and football hooligans, it's a lovely peaceful town.

For an afternoon snack go to cafe Balix, the owners are very friendly and offer snacks with each drink you order and also make amazing cheese and ham toasties!

I would definitely go back here again, very nice un-commercialised town with a little of something for everyone. "

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

Stayed for second year in a row. Advanta...

Reviewed Fri 21st of September 2007

"Stayed for second year in a row. Advantage is resort is quiet, beach is great and you can stay all day on a sun bed for 4 euros. Disadvantage restaurants nearly all have same menu plus ever present flies are a pain.

Neptuno is ok, very clean apartment bigger than some I have had in spain and walk in shower is great. Reception staff are very helpful. Problem is that as a British guest or just non spanish there is little to cater for you. Bar is really a coffee Bar with Alcohol as an optional extra, has no life until entertainment starts which is not usually till 10.30 at the earliest, too late for me and I suspect same for families with young children.

British Bars with Union jack motifs avoid like the plague, food is always second rate and in one my missus ordered a ham and cheese toastie- it arrived with an inch thick lump of processed ham topped with cold grated cheese she ate a quarter and still felt queasy next day. Go to Cafe Balix little spanish cafe does a super breakfast, sandwiches and delicious coffee.

Fancy a change of scene next year but maybe year after. Basically good for a reasonably priced weeks break."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2007

We have previously stayed in the resort...

Reviewed Tue 11th of September 2007

"We have previously stayed in the resort of Roquetas de Mar at another location and were delighted with the accomodation. This,however was another matter! This hotel does not deserve its 4 star rating as the food is average and there is very little variety or choice. As with all other areas it seems that only the Spanish are catered for! Our room was dirty and when we accidentally moved a bedside cabinet we found dirt and litter on the floor. Under the bed was the same. The maid came in everyday but only made the beds and the rest of the room was grubby.

The entertainment at night was aimed entirely at the Spanish visitors and it seemed at times that they were given preferential treatment. My daughter requested a second pillow 4 times for her bed and did not receive one... not even a communication to inform her that one was not available.

We had diarrhoea and vomiting on and off all during the fortnight we were staying here. We found the bar staff miserable and surly and reception staff unhelpful. My advice would be to stay away if you possibly can and this accomodation deserves a 2 or maybe a 3 star rating at the most."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

The resort itself was lovely (apart from...

Reviewed Fri 14th of July 2006

"The resort itself was lovely (apart from the flies) there were some lovely restaurants which cater well for children as well. The hotel was within easy walking distance.

The hotel itself was really nice, the apartment was very spacious and clean, the maid came in every day. The pool was very large but the shallow end was deep, not at all good for our 6 and 2 year old you had to be in there with them at all times. There was a baby pool which was ideal except that it could have been bigger. Plenty of sun beds but have to be up quite early to get one as the Spanish seems to nab them all.

The entertainment was a complete let down really as it catered for its Spanish guests and there were a lot of them!

On the whole the holiday was really good and our children had a really good time and we did meet people, so I would recommend it."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of July 2006

This is the 3trd time we have been to th...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"This is the 3trd time we have been to the Neptuno and we think its fantastic. The maids are in every day and its a great place for the family.

The only thing we find is that the entertainment at Neptuno is catered for the Spanish only. After saying that there are many other places you can go. Try Marco’s 2 for one bar we have been going to Marco for 4 years now, lovely family bar. The miners arms Brian and Carole do a fine Breakfast. Christine and dicks do tremendous food. There are 3 Chinese, in fact there are endless places to eat. We go with my sister and her family and my eldest boy is 18. My sisters boys are 19&17 and they still wanted to come with us this year and none of us where ready for home.

Come on and give it a try. We have never seen any trouble in Roquetas de Mar and it is an up and coming place. Cant wait till next time. Better the devil you know.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Roquetas is a lovely resort once you get...

Reviewed Sun 31st of July 2005

"Roquetas is a lovely resort once you get used to the flies. Neptuno is a new hotel from the outside you might mistake it for a hospital. Once inside and the air con is brill. Worth the money we paid for the holiday alone in the hottest time of year. We stayed in a two bedroomed apartment and found this to be of a more than ample size for myself, husband two boys aged 12 and 9 and a two and half year old girl who loves to run everywhere nobody got under my feet at all. Beds where very comfy and storage no problem either. Maid came in every day to make beds and clean floors with mop not much brushing though. Still very pleasant and changed our sheets when baby had accident just left dirty sheets on floor cant complain about this service. However the pool area where shall I start, very dangerous in our opinion. No clear markings of how deep the big pool is no sides or edges to it just one wrong foot and you’re in, not good for small children or non swimmers. Even the small pool was to deep for toddlers. There was a baby pool which was the perfect depth for them it just wasn’t large enough. There was a lifeguard on duty not all of the time and in my opinion he was more interested in watching women and organising games for the Spanish to play. Please don’t rely on them to watch your children when around the pool, keep your eyes on them at all times. The pool will empty of Spanish at around three and you can find yourselves and any more English with empty pool and we did which at height of season is very good. The hotel is full of Spanish guests and we found some of them to be very arrogant i.e letting door shut in my face and I had a buggy, not saying thank you or gracias when I held it for them after a week I did the same back. The entertainment both day and night is aimed at Spanish at night this does finish at 12 which was good for young ones trying to get to sleep. Nice places to eat include marleys for best breakfast in area you will find this next door but one to the supermarket make sure you find back door to hotel as this saves time. Opposite marleys and to the left you will find bar cullars [Spanish] the tapas here is excellent why buy lunch when you can eat for free. Next door but one again and you will find an excellent Chinese restaurant. Back over the road again and up to the end of urban you will find Christine and dicks bar the best home cooked food in Roquetas. Roast dinners every night and could you eat a whole chicken and chips!!!! The homemade pies are delicious. Dick will entertain you with his own unique songs and his sense of humour which my 12 year old didn’t find boring!! Next door oasis has lovely Spanish dishes and even lovelier staff. Back down the urban now and find Scotia bar excellent bar staff here will make your night perfect. Overall our holiday was great and we will not hesitate to go back my mum has been coming to Roquetas for the past 22 years. We would also recommend the Neptuno as it was really nice, would of been able to relax more if all my children were great swimmers and there where more British so come on lets be having you!! P.s when I have read other reports on Neptuno people have complained that there was no kettle but come on how hard is it to boil a pan of water!!!!!! "

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2005

Hotels near Neptuno Hotel

Top traveller tips for Neptuno Hotel

• almeria maid by almeria maid

"I would keep quiet so as to keep the place as nice as it was! "

• Normski00 by Normski00

"India Gate and Hong Kong restaurants were very good, avoid British pubs for food, AYDA was great! "

Neptuno Hotel is also called