About Barcelo Santiago

• tennis court
  • kids club

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL FOR COELIAC DISEASE GUESTS

Reviewed 9 months ago

"I booked this hotel after corresponding with them regarding their safety and variety of gluten free food for my daughter who has coeliac disease. They claim to understand and be able to accommodate coeliac sufferers. Indeed it is on their website as a positive. However the reality is very different. There is one table with very dry, hard bread and croissants right next to the huge variety of gluten bread treats. The GF food was inedible as confirmed by the director and chef. Unfortunately to make matters worse they refused to provide alternatives despite having told us they would go to the shop if necessary. For evening they did discuss the meals which were limited and arrived at different times to ours. We therefore didn’t eat together very often. There were no desserts apart from ice cream, fruit and a shop bought brownie. My daughter was violently sick after one evening meal, spaghetti with mushrooms, and lost the next day of her holiday as she was confined to the room with D&V. This review is only regarding their claim to look after coeliac disease sufferers as they did not seem to care at all apart from one lady , Laura, who understood because she had a family member with it."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of December 2018

NOT the quiet holiday we were hoping for

Reviewed Thu 19th of March 2015

"Hotel exceptionally clean and staff extremely helpful and friendly. It is situated in a beautiful location. Sadly the rooms are rather tired looking and could do with a makeover. Paintwork chipped and drawers not closing properly etc.. The food was reasonable but not exciting and could do with more variety. We had a lovely room overlooking the pool area and the ocean out to La Gomera but the down side was the noise from all the activities around the pool. It was extremely invasive. The other noise problem came from the theater at night. We like to sleep with our patio windows open but the noise from the theater was such that we had to close our window in order to sleep. I admit we go to bed fairly early and the show doesn't start until 10:00 p.m., but it is something you should be aware of if booking these rooms. Lovely sunny, large balcony though. The "towel dance" at 7:00 a.m. was "amusing" when sun worshipers nipped out before breakfast to "bag" their favorite sunbed. Rather annoying though for most fair minded people and something the hotel should address."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of March 2015

Great Hotel.

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"Stayed here in January 2013.What a wonderful place to stay.This hotel was a bit above the normal 4star hotels.Super location away from the crowds with wonderful views acoss the bay and to Gomera.Service was very good and the staff very friendly and helpful.We went "All Inclusive" and found the food Very good and plenty of choice.Local buses to the major Cities and only 35 mins by Taxi from TRS airport(50 Euros).Great relaxing stay with great weather.Would go back again and again as many of the holiday makers there were doing.If we had to find fault,the bathroom in our room looked tired and could have done with a refurb or upgrade.Thank you Barcelo.Another wonderful stay at another of your hotels."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of January 2013

Barcelo Santiago hotel inantes Los Gig

Reviewed Sat 7th of July 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for a couple of weeks. WE hadn't been for 4 years owing to illness. We opted for the superior room in the tower and were very pleased with it. Food as always was excellent, with lots of variety. Although we hadn't been for 4 years,the friendly staff recognized us and we were made very welcome. Our room had a magnificent view of the island of La Gomera and we found the walkway in front of the hotel ideal for us as we are both in our 80s and not too steady on our feet. There are seats placed at regular intervals where one can rest up. We went to this hotel for the first time in 1996 and we wouldn't go anywhere else in Tenerife. "

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2012

Barcelo Santiago-tenerife

Reviewed Tue 12th of July 2011

"Age range of our party, 4-52.
This hotel is beautiful, cleanliness is most impressive! The staff were friendly and helpful.
The pools cater for all. The food was lovely with an array of dishes for all tastes. We had a sea view which was lovely to wake up to. The hotel has no beach, but below the hotel are steps down to a very rocky and slippy entrance to the sea. We snorkelled down there and it was nice. Not recommended for tinys or the elderly. There is a black sand beach 5 mins walk but we didn't think much to it. Further afield in puerto Santiago is a better black sand beach. The entertainment team were good, they have worked hard to please all...maybe they could improve on stuff for small children, they had half an hour of the same thing every night, which didn't start till 9pm!!!!!! All inclusive have to pay for drinks after 10pm. Occasional wiffs of toilets, but I suppose only to b expected with that many people staying in one place.
The beach at Los chrisianos is a must, golden sands, shallow waters, plenty of showers and loos, lined by shops and restaurants. Water sports... Jet ski, banana boats and parasail.
I must say on the day of departure we considered hiring a room for the day, but we didn't....for the money it's not worth it. They let u use the spa showers for free, and they give u a clean towel-bonus! Upon arrival at airport my daughter realised she had left her phone in hotel reception, I phoned the hotel who offered to either post it to us or pop it in a taxi. We chose the taxi, it arrived within 30 mins...excellent service.
We did Siam park-fantastic, half an hour away. Loro park -This was an almost 2hr drive away so take a few bottles of water for the journey. we also did free bird one excursion from the hotel, it took 1.5hrs by bus to do a 30min drive...again take water. It was a long day for the 4yr old.we did see dolphins and Wales , the food aboard was poor and the smell from the loos was vile, although clean."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2011

excellant holiday

Reviewed Mon 16th of May 2011

"what a fantastic place, from the champagne as we checked in, all staff were great could not do enough for you, we asked for more pillows, there in 10 min, had trouble with the safe , he beat us back to the room, from reception to bar staff to the animation team, a big thank you. A great place to stay and would not hesitate going back.If you want disco's then maybe not for you, if you want to meet people , relasx and have great holiday then this is ideal, oh and try the massage!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2011

fantastic holidays

Reviewed Fri 15th of April 2011

"We have holidayed at the Barcelo from 1996 until 2007, and found it to be one of the best hotels that we have visited. we would have been there for the last 3 years but my wife was waiting for a hip replacement. We have seen the Barcelo go through a complete overhaul over the years,and we hope to visit again this year. The staff are really friendly and when we go in December, we meet up with many friends whom we have met over the years We have always found the food to be top class and really hot. The variety is fantastic especially with the fish courses. We both love Spanish food. As soon as we show our faces in the dining room we are greeted effusively by the staff who remember us from previous years. I cannot fault anything about the place"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of April 2011

Avoid - no where near 4 star

Reviewed Wed 30th of March 2011

"Very average hotel. Staff can be excellent but not always - I think some get fed up with complaints! Food cold. No Maitre D' in the restaurant so people wander about looking for tables. Rooms are poorly furnished, our first room was smelly, damp and next to staff accommodation. Cheap plastic chairs only on lovely large balcony. Only seemed to be one small heated pool. Entertainment area not impressive at all and mostly outside. Smoking allowed everywhere outside and hard to escape from, even in areas where there are children - not nice. They are not consistent - we were on honeymoon and didn't get the glass of cava on arrival! No peanuts with drinks except on certain days - they seem to run out. I think they didnt expct the numbers due to Egypt crisis etc and were woefully understaffed.

Good points- lovely area, great views (if you get one from your room), reasonable value for money if you don't get any bugs from the food. Lovely weather and restaurants nearby could be good. Pto Santiago v nice, very Spanish town. Hotel would be good 3 star at best."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of March 2011

Nice Hotel, Environs Naff, Watch the Food

Reviewed Wed 31st of March 2010

"Clean, tidy, pleasant hotel. I wonder if it is always so windy there. There were plenty of sunbeds around the very pleasant pool area, but if a notice is displayed telling people not to "reserve" beds by leaving towels on them then the hotel staff should remove such towels! All inclusive is not all inclusive, many items have additional cost. The pavements all around the local area were being resurfaced whilst we were there so I may be a bit biased but generally the local area is a bit sad. The bedrooms are pleasant and large, maid service is excellent. Friendly staff but Reception staff get a bit stretched at times, there were only 2 whilst we were there and I once waited 10 minutes to be attended to. Whilst the food was generally good I did point out to the Manager one evening that the buffet hot food was not hot! That night my wife was violently ill! Thomson rep said that all food was constantly tested and that strict laws were in force - I never saw the temperature of the food being tested and I now know why there were so many people sitting in the restaurant on their own. "

• Travel date: Tue 30th of March 2010

Gastericenteritis and we still feel ill

Reviewed Wed 10th of November 2010

"We came back yesterday and we feel it is very important that other potential travelers know how awful this hotel is.Within 36hrs my husband was violently ill with gastericenteritis although it could be food poisoning we will know after the results of a blood test. Many other holiday makers were also ill, you should have seen the queue for the Doctor. The hotel staff made light of the problem and said it was holiday makers bringing germs in to the hotel.We took our own hand gel and wipes and were very careful,but it only took a futher 3days until I was taken very ill too.The food the little we ate was warm never hot and the soup cold or tepid . Old trays of food were not remove new food was put straight ontop and we saw unaccompanied children putting their hands into food.I hope this review is helpful."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of March 2010

Barcelo Santiago, Tenerife

Reviewed Sun 1st of February 2009

"We had a very pleasant week in Tenerife, the overall review for our holiday is good, however, with all holidays, there are good points and bad points.
Good points:
The rooms were very clean, excellent maid service, great views.
Hotel, very clean, well maintained, good facilities
Spa, very good, and relaxing well worth the 10 euros each, two of our party treated themselves to a massage at 64 euros, which they both thoroughly enjoyed.
Food, very good, loads of choice everyday at the buffet style restaurant and made to a high standard.
Pool area very good, plenty of room for everyone, with a heated pool, it's only the small pool that's heated, but that's big enough at the time of year we went.

Bad points:

Due to the time of year, it did feel like we were on a saga holiday, the beds in the rooms were too hard, resulting with all people in our party complaining of back pain by the end of the holiday.

At one point or another all of our party came down with a sickness and diahorrea bug, after going to reception and explaining, the staff were to quick to fob us off and showed no sympathy, and were quite rude, especially as my wife wanted some room service as she was ill and they refused.

Just a final note, for anyone going here, don't forget all inclusive ends at 11pm, so don't forget to order a few extra drinks at 10.50pm.

All in all, a very good holiday, with just a couple of niggly complaints. We would consider going back here again (if the beds were softer!)"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of February 2009

A waste of money

Reviewed Tue 27th of January 2009

"This was the holiday I had been waiting for through all the years when I could only afford caravan parks in the UK.
I wanted to swim and sunbathe in the early morning and late afternoon, I had no wish to fry myself all day long.
I was prevented from doing this by the people who prowled the sun terraces from 6am waiting for the sunbeds to be unlocked at 8am. Their towels went down, and all were taken.
I spent my holiday sitting in a hard plastic chair on my balcony reading a book.
I might as well have stayed at home.
Very disappointing."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of January 2009

Hotels near Barcelo Santiago

Top traveller tips for Barcelo Santiago

• sue chhina by sue chhina

"If you want to fight for the right to enjoy the facilities, fair enough. If not, avoid this place. "

• gilrick by gilrick

"Very poor hygene.Bad management "

• johnmarie by johnmarie

"There are better places, in better situations but these are difficult to find! "

• justhadtosay by justhadtosay

"stay in an apartment and eat out "

• fredna 66 by fredna 66

"enjoy the pool area during the day and try the entertainment on offer at the various bars in the village "

• Michelle65 by Michelle65

"Hire a car, quicker than buses and your not stuck to a timetable. "

• Fred F by Fred F

"For us it must be the food and the friendly staff. "

• Filipo by Filipo

"Walk around the area.Don't go busy season. "

• Granof2 by Granof2

"Don't have a room overlooking the pool area. "

Barcelo Santiago is also called