Good
( 1915 reviews)

Terrible hotel

Reviewed Tue 17th of July 2018

"I have just returned from this hotel with my 18 year old daughter after a weeks holiday at the san Felipe . Overall we had a great holiday with the 2 day tickets for Loro Parque and a day at Siam park . Situation of hotel is ok even though I didn’t realise that this side of island is mainly cloudy and very windy . So we didn’t have good weather even though it’s july . The hotel itself should never be awarded a 4 star ! It’s very poor , the rooms clean and hotel reception staff lovely and friendly which is more than I can say for rest of staff . Jet2 rep snappy and unfriendly also not very helpful! Bar staff have never heard of service with a smile . There really good at ignoring you ! They will only serve you ONE drink with your dinner and tea ! If you want another they will blank you ! This is terrible seeing as we paid all inclusive and no self service or any drink facilities in rooms . You certainly won’t be getting drunk at night either . One staff member to serve and takes ages to bring you a drink yet if you go to bar they will turn there back on you or tell you to sit down and wait for waiter ! The snack bar is awful . Food dire ! Always cold . They put chips out with every meal ! Even breakfast . They will only top up you mini fridge in room twice a week ! Won’t give you clean towels unless it’s Tuesday or Friday! This also goes for a bottle of water! In the end we ate out mostly. Bought my own water and beer from supermarket! Might as well as saved a fortune and gone self catering! They very friendly if your German or French though ! Not a very English friendly place! German guests reserved sunbeds from as early as 6.30 am . And seem far better looked after . Overall we made it a good holiday but won’t be returning to this hotel . 4 star !!!?? No way"

• Travel date: Sun 1st of July 2018

Great hotel find your own entertainment tho!

Reviewed Wed 21st of July 2010

"This hotel was great for all inc. but entertainment was very poor. If you do stay here I recommend that you go to the majestic cabaret bar in calle cologan no.12. They have great normal drink prices, with award winning entertainment every night they are open with bitter and twisted. They have a website with loads of directions etc. It is a must for anyone visitng puerto de la cruz. Back to the hotel. It was clean, and the rooms were spacious. Food was good and sunbeds were easy to get most days. I wouldn't bother with the hotel entertainment. there was a fellow playing the piano in the bar over and over again each night was was very very boring. We just had to get away from it and that's when we found the majestic!!!! We will be back as the majestic and bitter and twisted made our holiday!!! "

• Travel date: Sat 10th of July 2010

A let down

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Food was cold most of the time and undercooked.If you want to sit on your balcony at any time of the day dont pay out for a sea view as the sun never gets on to them.Pool area very small dont get sucked in by the pictures very cleverly taken.Christmas & Year a con,no need to book eaarly to get the gala meal as it was the same rubbish you get all week.The entertainment was dreadful guests should be paid to watch it.Hotel & rooms very clean,bar & recption staff 1st class pity about the rest of it. Will not go back there again."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

Didn't Want to Leave!

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Booked all-inclusive for my family through First Choice. Thought I'd hate it, but I loved it!

Charming & efficient staff. Spotlessly clean inside and out. Range of all-inclusive drinks more than adequate. Fabulous pools. Superb location at quiet end of promenade chock-full of shops, restaurants and the amazing Martienez public pools. Far enough away from the south part of the island to be guaranteed a "yob-free zone."

Well-maintained and varied buffet with (in disagreement with a previous reviewer) plenty to keep the interest of vegetarians -- at least the ones who eat fruit, salads, vegetables and pasta.

For a change, we found two wonderful restaurants outside the hotel: Monasteria in Los Reales (maze-like temple of Canarian cuisine fashioned to the demands of the German appetite); and Kafka on Calle Cruz Verde in Puerto (deft, modern treatments of classic ingredients, split equally between meats and seafood). Both are of quality and price that are an embarassment to most British efforts.

Relaxing under the torrential jets of our room's shower, lathering up with deluxe soaps & shampoo, I wondered if there was someplace even better than San Felipe we could stay next time. After drying off with an oversized bath towel, I sat overlooking the surf on our wrap-around balcony, a cool beer from the complimentary mini-bar cutting through the 28-degree heat and concluded that I need nothing more than this to get away from it all.

We'va already started saving money for our return trip!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of December 2007

What a cracker!!!

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from a one weeks stay at the San Felipe Hotel, all I can say is what a lovely time we had. The pool area is first class and if you are looking for a relaxing weeks break then this is definately the hotel to be at. The staff were all very nice and helpful, and we were checked in with ease. A couple of very minor things to mention, my partner is a vegetarian and the food choice for her wasnt that vast but to be honest it never is at foreign hotels and the restaurant gets very busy between 9am and 10am and 9pm and 10pm. If you get there during these times expect a ten minute or so que to get seated. A very pleasant and enjoyable holiday made perfect by an excellent hotel. Thanks to all staff, we shall definately be coming back to stay with you again."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of November 2007

Good Place

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"I had been in Puerto da Cruz - North Tenerife-in Bahia Principe San Felipe, since June 19, 2007 to June 26. The Hotel was good, had beautiful gardens, although they were not very spacious, but were pleasing. The room was reasonable and the cleaning too. The restaurant was excellent; it had great variety of food, very good quality what was pleasing it practically everyone. The swimming pool also was good.I spent an excellent week of holidays in this hotel. The people of hotel was nice.

Northern Tenerife is very pretty, the weather is good and the verdant of the gardens is very pleasant."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of September 2007

Wonderful Hotel

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Lovely hotel situated right on the sea front at the end of the bay, but within 100yds of shops and restaurants.
We arrived and were welcomed with a welcome drink and speedily booked in. The reception staff were very helpful and pleasant.
Our Room was on the 5th floor with views over the gardens and pools with a side view of the Sea and shops. Mount Teide was directly in front of us and was a wonderful spectacle. Our Room was very well furnished with all the features one would expect from a 4* hotel and was extremely clean and bright. One feature we didn't expect was that the mini bar was topped up twice during our weeks stay all free of charge as we were all inclusive.
There are 3 restaurants in the hotel but we stayed in the main restaurant the whole time. First impression was that there was not a huge choice of food, but I have to say there was never a meal where I did not have a heaped plate with many dfferent food types on it, so can only conclude the choice must have been adequate.. How many hotels serve caviar and champagne for breakfast !!!!!! ? The grill always freshly grilled one Fish and one Meat at every meal. The Waiters were extremely helpful and always pleasant. If I was being picky I would say that the food wasnt piping hot, but it was by no means cold.The bar staff in each of the bars we used were always helpful and served us very effeiciently and pleasantly. I suppose that as we were out of season (early April) the entertainment in the evenings could be best described as backround music... but the live musicians performed to a very high standard.
The Pools and pool areas were beautifully situated, with plenty of Sun or shade available as required. Sun beds were never a problem getting and we often went down to the pool in the middle of the morning and still had choice as to where we were. The no reserving of Sunbeds rule seemed to be inforced by the pool staff which meant you could actually lay in and not set your alarm clock to get a sun bed. There are 2 main pools, an Adult unheated pool with a wooden bridge running across the top of it, whilst the Kids pool was of a similar size but at its deepest was only a metre deep, and heated, both are kept spotless.
The Hotel itself is a very quiet relaxing haven suiting young families, couples and older people, but with disco's bars etc within a few hundred yards there is definitely something for everyone. I think had we of had our teenage son with us we may have had moans of boredom, although I think this may have been an early season problem with main entertainment not having started. Certainly at this time of year we would happily go back for a quiet adult holiday, but wouldn't consider it as a family holiday.
At night the road noise can be heard if your window is open, but with air conditioning and the window closed then this wouldnt be a problem.
All in all a very enjoyable restful holiday and one I would have no hesitation in recommending ."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of April 2007

Lovely but busy area

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Very good hotel, our corner room was superb with huge balcony and nice atmosphere. Restaurant is excellent. Staff more than helpful. My only concern is about the street noise, main road just in front of the hotel and lots of traffic 24/24."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of January 2007

Don't hesitate, this is the one...

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"If you plan on going to Tenerife, this is my experience:
1. The North is cooler than the south and that means that in the winter you will get a temperature of 25 degrees during the day and about 18 degrees at night in the north (that also means that you will burn in the summer in the south) but the white sandy beaches are in the south (Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos - which is almost the same as they are side by side).
2. The things to see are in the north (although they are building a new LORO PARQUE near Playa de las Americas.
3. Forget about the hotels away from the beach: it will be very esay to go downhill to the promenade but you will suffer going back.
4. This hotel is called San Felipe (don't call it Bahia Principe, nobody will know what you are talking about!)
5. Choose a room with view to the pool, they are sunny all day and the pool and gardens are very pretty - besides, the sea views can be bothered by noices from the nearby disco.
6. At 10PM, there is a show ( sometimes good, sometimes not but if you don't like it,.. take a nice walk along the promenade...) and it ALWAYS ends with a fun dance (oe oe, Hey Hey!!)
7. The guy at the pool will NEVER say "oi" to anyone (as mentionned by a previous reviewer) as he doesn't speak english!!! He might shout "oiga!" which is the polite form to say "listen".
8. If you have the choice, take "all included" (todo incluido) and forget about paying for your drinks, burger at the pool, etc
9. The hotel has a 24Hours burger bar serving burgers and drinks (also coffee and sandwiches if you have an early flight).
10. The place (puerto de la Cruz) is very secure and the hotel is very well placed at the end of the promenade.
11. I have noticed that most hotels have their pool in the shade. Not this one... Good in winter...

Oh, yes, just one more thing... The airport of Tenerife South (where you will probably land) is at an hour drive from Puerto de la Cruz but you will have to count with roadworks and traffic jams so it might take you a little more..."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of January 2007

Cold Food, next to noisy club, staff issues, and awful entertainment

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Bahia Principe San Felipe Hotel Puerto De La Cruz. On our first night we were awoken by noisy people congregating eight floors below, all night long, car doors slamming screeching car tyres, clubbers going into/coming out of club right next door to hotel this went on until 6am-7am each morning. This hotel has been recently refurbished and although classed as a 4star the rooms were just a very basic 3 stars. It was hot when we arrived 26-28 degrees and the room was baking NO AIRCON Not Working, strange when you consider it had just been extensively refurbished?? if you look from room down to ground level you can see many open trenches with massive pipes/cables going into the hotel so basically it's still under refurbishment/work in progress. We mentioned this in reception they said half have aircon half don't [ isn't it always the case? we had a room in the other half ] they assured us that a fan would be put in our room later that evening, five days on and still no Air-con or indeed a fan it arrived the day before we were due to leave. In the recently refurbished hotel/restaurant we sat with rolled up blankets laid across the floor to catch rain which was leaking badly through the ceiling we also had a number of power cuts not surprising when you can see rainwater running out of ceiling lights. Food was always warm never hot and rarely cooked, choice was definately not 4 star plenty of raw veal though for the bloodthirsty amongst us but sweetcorn and peas mixed? most days was the only veg on offer, meats as I say were often raw, a word which could also be applied to some bar staff's attitude. Entertainment was not good in fact it it was Bad, No even worse than bad, dire. Remember playing Eye-Spy as a kid? well truthfully Eye-Spy believe me was quite stimulating. Good job we packed My Little Pony, all six of us spent hours and hours just gently combing it's mane, which was MMmm fun?? lol. when compared to the rubbish put on stage under the banner called entertainment each evening. Hotel bar closed at 11pm sharp, Tell me Where do you think you are exactly.... On your holidays? Planning on watching News 24 TV in bed forget it reception was terrible. USEFUL TIP: If you hold TV ariel with one hand picture quality improves ever so slightly must admit hopeless I'm afaid if you three metres away lying on your back in bed and have very short arms. We went out most evenings and when we returned after having a few beers etc etc we were hungry OK and as we were All Inclusive I know I know going out drinking what a waste anyway we decided to take advantage of the 24 hour snack bar Bar shuts at 11pm but they have a 24 hour snack bar how very odd well yes, anyway a young lady took our order and before you could sing "How much is that doggy in the window" food for 6 people [ 6 burger's 2 chips ] was ready?? Don't get too excited because the six burgers were raw, & stone cold and chips was just a dollop of uncooked raw mush slopped on two plates luckily although she did not speak English she definately knew what the words Uncooked and Raw meant, Clearly she must of heard this description thousands of times I bet. The food was returned and before you could sing, "The one with the wagglely tail" the food was ready again, this time one side of each burger was stone cold whilst the other side was warmer, how do they do that? Left food on table. Then we just sat there opened and ate the contents of 6 sugar satchets, love that word Sachet don't you and went to bed. Verdict. Refurbished I think that word means Half Done because for us everything at the Bahia Principe San Felipe was basically Half Done and just far too much trouble. All Inclusive but went out each evening I'm on holiday I want to be entertained I'm 50 years old and I don't want to drink beer from tiny tiny plastic cups Thank You. Would WE return? NO! Sam."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of December 2006

Bahia Principe.... 4 star that is wrong.

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Just returned from the Bahia principe hotel. We were greeted by friendly reception. First impressions of the the hotel were good, room was clean, fairly basic but comfortable, no loo paper and only one bath towel so we rang reception within minutes a maid arrived with them.The room had a mini bar? containg two very small bottles of local beer small bottled water and a few mini canned soft drinks, which were re-stocked twice a week. Our first meal was a disappointment food was warm our meat was raw so I returned to grill chef tried to explain he took the meat off my plates threw it on the griddle and gave me another portion when I returned to my table the meat was still raw. Dining room staff were polite and attentive,and one very amusing check out a restaurant waiter from Blackburn. Sadly the fly in the ointment is that some [not all] bar staff are plain rudewho turned the main bar lights out on us whilst still drinking on our first evening at midnight.. Pool area is impressive no problem with sunloungers, towels are 10 euros each per week you can change these daily and monies paid is refundable when they returned at the end of your stay. Their is a snack/ bar close to the pool area where burgers chicken chips are served whenever we eat there food was returned warm not cooked did not really appear very interested concerning when serving food. Entertainment: Hotel states that entertainment finishes at midnight when in fact it ceased at 11pm. Polar bears dancing would of been more entertaining however the light show music quiz , reptiles all presented in either german french or spanish was not enough to stimulate my noggin. We ventured out most evenings and can highly recommend Molly Malones Irish Bar just a mile or so towards the centre that's my kind of entertainment and I accept different cultures like different things but for me hotel entertainment was extremely poor. Guests in hotel were from Germany France Sweden Scotland and were friendly and polite towards us. Observation: We went All Inclusive and we were served beer in very small plastic vending machine type cups however if you were not All Inc you drank your beer from a glass pint pot. Conclusion Bahia Principe San Felipe Hotel has no atmosphere whatsoever however it is a nice clean basic bedroomed hotel but it is definately not 4 star."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of November 2006

New owners

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We have just returned from two weeks at this hotel. It has changed hands from H10 to Bahai Principe over the early part of the summer.
The hotel has been extensivley refurbished and the rooms are excellent. However the hotel now caters for Spanish young families on an all inclusive basis. If you like noisy kids and bland food three times a day then this is for you.
Food is average with lots of pork every single day. There is very little variation in the menu and is all bufet style although there are two a la carte restaraunts in the hotel. If you choose a la carte your meal is over in 40 minutes.

The pool is fantastic and the hotels best feature and has a lifeguard on duty everyday.

Entertainment is poor (reptileshows , parrot shows and bingo all in Spanish)and in a seperate room from the bar.

We had a room on the 10th floor and could still hear the noise from the outside bar until three in the morning every night.
The bars in the hotel all stop serving at 11pm with the outside bar being open all night for soft drinks only (all the guests bought bottles and sat at the outside bar after 11:00)Very noisy.
There was also building work on an extension to the hotel starting at 7 in the morning and somenights continuing into the small hours.
The staff speak very little English and come across as they cannot be bothered with you unless you speak fluent Spanish.

If you want to go here I would advise earplugs, dont take the all inclusive option and find your own entertainment.
I have spoken to people who stayed there before the takeover and they were very dissapointed with the changes."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of November 2006

Hotels near Sunlight Bahia Principe San Felipe

Top traveller tips for Sunlight Bahia Principe San Felipe

• qantas69 by qantas69

"Go to the Majestic to watch bitter and twisted!!! "

Sunlight Bahia Principe San Felipe is also called