Rude Staff

Reviewed 27th May 2016

"When we had our presentation last week which lasted over 3 hours and having already spend over 4 hours in your London Office which we were initially advised would only last 2 hours, we still decided tone of their resorts a look over even though we already have our beautiful bespoke Villa in Kefalonia in Greece. We anticipated we would be woe into signing a Membership more for our children's pleasure than ours. We booked our week in Monterrey in Tenerife. To start with the check in procedure with my husband.... when we arrived after midnight, the Receptionist was quick enough to process. The room we were allocated was located on the 8th Floor, we had to change several lifts and cross a road to find it, tired and exhausted we finally found our room. Your resort failed the initial test since we were not there for the views we already had that at our Villa in Greece, what we wanted was a comfortable accommodation in every level which this apartment lacked. It would have been much better to have been allocated an apartment on the 1st or 2nd floor, after all the resort was empty with a handful of people, what with my husband suffering from sciatica and myself from a lower back pain this was a terrible start. The next day we noticed a few ants in the bathroom and on the kitchen surfaces. We went and purchased a few items from the shop downstairs and left it in the kitchen and by the time we came back they were all spoiled since we had an attack of the ants in the kitchen, we even found loads in the bedroom, it was disgusting and showed the level of cleanliness and lack of pest control. The bed, where do I begin ...... even a charity shop would not accept that mattress. There was no support no comfort. Both my husband and I have returned home with spinal pain from this holiday from hell, it was a complete shamble. The pillows OMG hard as a rock. The toilet itself, the genius who designed it should be sacked; I have traveled around the world and have never come across a toilet that one has to sit on the edge or an angle since there was no room on the left hand side to sit properly, truly outrages and disappointing, not to mention uncomfortable. We made a complaint about the bed and the ants, the room was sprayed and whilst there were still ants everywhere, it was a lot better to tolerate since we were advised not to keep anything out and put everything in the fridge! However, still totally unacceptable had I paid, I can tell you this would not have been tolerated as well as we did. The WiFi was not working in our room and I visited the Reception on Monday and was told by a very rude Spanish Receptionist that I needed to put money and use the computer, it was not the fact that I had to pay for it, it was the mannerism and lack of etiquette that offended me with the way she spoke to me, if anything your staff should show so much more respect to people like us to want to become a Member, I would not put up with such poor behavior if I was a Member I can tell you right now. Earlier on Monday, we had lunch by the pool were my husband was allowed to smoke in the open space. We assumed the same went for the Restaurant but oh no we are advised by a new starter that it was okay to smoke only to be told by a female waitress NO NO NO, than the new guy said to my husband he could smoke at the end of the railings, to be shouted again NO NO NO .... NO SMOKING ALLOWED and that my husband had to go to other side. We were so fuming by the treatment that I demanded to see the Restaurant Manager who was aggressive and rude and was telling us and showing my husband with his hand where my husband should go to smoke. I asked him this is an open space and outside the restaurant and we are a paying customer and if he wanted to have a smoke with his drink before his dinner he should, the Manager literally shouted at me. To make matters worse, I asked him how come my husband can smoke in the Pool area outside the restaurant area, he said that is the pool area and this is the Restaurant. I told him I appreciate that but an open space is an open space and he just turned his back to us. You can imagine how angry we were..... we tried to change our flights for the next day since we had seen enough and endured enough rudeness and dis-respectfulness in just a few days. As an insult the Manager, who could see we were fuming gave us a Coffee voucher to use, what the hell! I persuaded my husband to change the flights to Wednesday which was not possible and changed it to Thursday instead at a cost of £170, returning a day early which was not soon enough since I wanted us to attend the presentation arranged for us the next day to give our feedback in person. We had the cleaning ladies the next morning, I was horrified watching the lack of cleaning they do.... all they did was change the towels which they were reluctant to give, change the sheets and wash the floors with their dirty bucket. We are used to 5 star treatments were our room is properly cleaned every day, we have our own butler and treated with the utmost respect. We were met by a New Starter Iain for our Presentation and we explained we came with the intention of becoming a Member, however, after the appalling and disgusting way we were treated and the room we were allocated, there was no way we would commit to an organization who has failed in every level possible to impress us. Iain said he was a New Starter and could not do anything about the issues, he even told us that his wife who works at the Resort and has complained about the rudeness of the staff too..... We than met some one called Khaled, a pushy arrogant man who was trying to make himself look something he could never be by trying to show off about his mother working in UN and speaking 14 languages, no interest in addressing our complaint whatsoever, all he said was the Resort hardly ever receives any complaint, seriously really? He could see how tired and fed up both myself and my husband were. As a Senior Civil Servant working at the Prime Minister's Office, I would not tolerate such behaviors that we witnessed. My husband was feeling unwell having had no sleep for over 3 days and all Khaled was doing was doing signs to Iain to prolong the presentation and keep going, so amateur to say the least, having already told him we would not be interested in becoming a Member under the circumstances. Even the Management who were sitting at the end of the room monitoring the desks did not bother to come over even though they could see we were getting agitated and angry. Then he tells us we still need to go to the Presentation and visit Monterey Royal and come back again, we advised him we will not be returning, however, we did go and see the apartment which was great but what good is that to us to be shown after the way we were treated and the awful room we were allocated. We were not even offered a change in room, how insulting is that to show us something that is far from what we had. Iain did ask the Reception to put a top up mattress but Reception advised us this was not possible until Wednesday morning, literally on our last evening. They did change the mattress but it was still as uncomfortable as before since the main mattress was a goner. On Tuesday evening, the Restaurant Manger and his staff were giving us a cold shoulder and the same in Reception and on Wednesday it was even worse they kept us waiting for over 20 minutes to serve us drinks. On Thursday morning, even the staff in the Pool area were not as nice or friendly, so unprofessional, I cannot describe how discriminated we felt by your so unprofessional staff. We were also asked to fill in a feedback form which I did and handed over.... someone from Reception did come up and say he has read our comments and would be faxing it to Management. I can go on and on ...... but I think I have given you a picture of the hell we endured, I have already booked a couple of weeks next month to recuperate at our Villa of the appalling way we were treated. Send an email to the CEO of the company Roy Peires who did not even bother to acknowledge our email. Don't waste your money, continue going on a holiday of your choice it would cost you less no matter how much they tell you, you will be better off, all lies."

• Travel date: 27th May 2016

Swindled

Reviewed 26th February 2016

"Do not buy off these it's a rip off they have swindled me out of £22.000 and some how I can not get out of it so they have now sold the debt to another debt argent and I've got to pay £180 for the rest of my life and I'm getting nothing out of it warning club la Costa swindlers "

• Travel date: 21st February 2016

Club Le Costa FREE holiday Rip off

Reviewed 19th March 2012

"I went to the first promotional meeting to win a FREE holiday in July and we managed to bipass the long 4 hour sales pitch to buy a timeshare and they told us we could have the holiday providing we attended a timeshire meeting whilst we were away. I thought "Ooooh thats not too bad"....especially as I had no intention of buying a timeshare! Anyway we were promised a free holiday. Although we to pay approx £160 (approx £29 per person)admin fee. I still thought this wasnt bad, so I went about trying to select certain dates (by the way - you are only allowed to select certain dates and they are very restrictive. There are many complications and red tape issues preventing you selecting exactly the dates you want.) Anyway I sent away my money, and it took them 6 weeks to even aknowledge my payment and selections... and they more or less said;- Thanks, and we will be in touch to confirm which date and location you can have at a later time. No confimration of actual holiday dates until 6 months later, giving me a date that I didnt really want. It also demanded more money (airport taxes) £300 more in fact for the 5 of us. I phoned them to say the date was inconvenient and they wouldnt change it. So I told them to stuff it. A free holiday turned into a £500-600 holday to Spain."

• Travel date: 16th March 2012

Hate Club la Costa

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The place is great, other than up a steep hill and the little shop selling stuff, way over the odds. But would not recommend anyone to get involved with Club la Costa. This place is full of the reps selling the "time share" experience, which we have not enjoyed."

• Travel date: 30th August 2008

Lovely hotel

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Were just back 3 day ago from the Monterey and loved it. My dad has his time share here. There was 4 of us staying in the 1 bedroom apartment and it never seemed too small, the bedroom was really big, with a fold out double bed in the living area. The rooms where very clean and tidy and the maids where in every couple of days. Our towels where changed every second day. There is a small shop onsite which stocked loads of food and juice and newpapers. We only ate at the restuarant the once but it was very nice. The apartments are at the top of a very steephill, the walk down wasn't too bad but there was no way we could have walked back up it, so we took taxi's which weren't too dear. Overall the holiday was really good and I have no complaints about the hotel. Tenerife is a lovely place and there is loads to do and see."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2008

All up hill!

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"We have just returned from a week in this resort booked through RBS. There was no mention of 'timeshare' however we were quickly invited to a 'welcome breakfast' with a salesman. He turned out to be a nice guy and there was no problem. Just beware if you are not a CLC member - they will try to sell it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Positives :- 1) It was 30 degrees throughout. 2) A huge balcony with a fantastic sea view. 3) A pleasant resort with a good poolside bar (sunrise) and evening restaurant (sunset). 4) Easy access to surrounding Las Americas and Toviscas areas with lots to see and do. Negatives:- 1) On the steepest hill I have ever seen. Taxis back up are about 4 -9 Euros. Then there are two lifts and some steep stairs (depending on where your apartment is). 2) No bottled water, soap or 'welcome back' in apartment. 3) Apartment only cleaned/changed once in a week. 4) The pools are very small and, although not busy, there is little room for babies learning to swim, boisterous teenagers, olympic swimmers (you know the ones) and people that want to cool off/chill out!! Advice:- This is not a good resort if you want to walk out to see Las Americas. The distance, heat and hills make this difficult even for fit people. We learned to stay more on the resort or to walk down to some nearby bars restaurants which provide everything. 'Scotch Corner' is on the way down to Toviscas and provides a fantastic scottish breakfast. Further down you can now get to the Toviscas beach which provides great beaches, bars, restaurants, shops and water sports. We did parascending and jet skiing for 100 Euros and I, personally, thought it was a bit disappointing."

• Travel date: 19th July 2008

5* without a doubt

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"stayed at the ROYALE complex of the monterey with in laws on their vacation club points. complex is situated in mountains approx 20 mins walk from las americas or a couple of mins in a taxi. Hills are horrendous but after a few attempts we actually found it quite novel walking up them every day and it kept us fit. There were two pools with shower facilities, bar etc and a main a la carte rest. web access etc and a small shop called sams pantry for those essentials. on arrival we had juice, milk, water eggs etc and then the nextday we did a massive shop that was only 60 euro incl alcohol. out apartment was gorgeous. deff 5 star. hot tub the lot. it reminded me of a city centre apartment it was that facilitiated. but, the washer, dishwasher, shower, lights and hot tub all packed in in first day and it took days to mend so we didn't have use of hot tub etc for a few days.cleaners came in every day and replaced your bathrobes and towels. we ate at the rest a la carte one spanish dancing night. very expensive and when i got pork instead of lamb i was .. well disappointed but ate it anyhow. little did i know pork could be cooked rare, med or well done like beef and i got rare. Waitress should have asked my preference, especially when the main cost 17 euro. all in all this complex is great. not for the faint hearted with the hills. however las americas was a let down. you got charged stupid money for a voddy and lemonade and diff prices everytime you went to the bar. touts yanked at your arm desperately trying to earn their commission and timeshare and holiday reps constantly in your face. we walked to los christianois and apart from the lovely beach front places and white sand it was full of ex pats with no teeth and black eyes... say no more."

• Travel date: 27th May 2008

Very Nice

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"stayed at monterey mar 08 rooms are amazing, depending on what birth room u have booked obviously depends on size of rooms, we had 2 singles in livin room, 2 singles in 1 bedroom and a double in other room which also had en suite and tv, livin room, ok size plasma tv with bbc1, itv1, c4, sky 1 euro sport, and most prem football matches that was on. kitchen very nice, dishwasher large fridge, + u got extras included like diswasher tablets, and other cleaning stuff, and a food welcome pack in fridge. balcony massive, and if u stay in the monterey royal, (next door) u get jacuzzi on balcony also, complex resturant, very nice, complex supermarket is small but stocked well, staff very nice all over hotel, very very clean, beach 10 min walk 5euro taxi bars 8 min walk 5 euro taxi main night life in las americas on veronicas strip, 15/20 min walk 10 euro taxi max but as on a steep hill, it will take breath away when u walk back up so cab back recommended. water park 8 min walk or 5 euro cab. hope this helps, Chris"

• Travel date: 7th April 2008

Very good resort, advise you to get a car

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Just stayed at Club la costa over new year. We were in a three bedroom penthouse, which unfortunately as yet has not been refurbished so the apartment was quite tired. Disappointing since we thought we were staying in Monteray Royale (the part with the hot tubs). However this aside the apartment was very comfortable and the balcony was huge, infact you have two huge balcony's but we never used the top one. The location of the apartments is slightly out of town, however a 40 minute walk takes you to the Mare Nostrum resort where the best restaurants and shopping can be found. Or alternatively this takes 5-10 minutes in a taxi. We hired a car since we had small children and wanted to go to the main beach near the Mare Nostrum. This is by far the best beach and well worth the extra distance. My only real complaint with this resort was the four lifts we needed to use to get to our apartments and the noise from the cleaners either talking very loudly or dragging their noisy trolleys, normally before 08.30 each day. On a positive note the apartments are good, the pool is nice, the views are fantastic, the pool bar is excellant as is the food. We never did dine in the restaurant but it looked good."

• Travel date: 8th January 2008

fantastic apartments

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"we joined club la costa in 2006 and have had 3 holidays with them since then. The first being our taster week at the monterey royale in a 3 bedroomed penthouse suite. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. This is the sort of holiday only the rich can afford absolutely fabulous. The next 2 were at the monterey in a 2 bedroomed still really good and we will be going again next year."

• Travel date: 7th October 2007

Almost a hiking holiday

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We went on holiday to the Monterey last year and I'm afraid I can only say we found it to be pretty mediocre. We tried to change our allotted 1 bed apt to a 2 bed as we thought it may be more comfortable for 4 adults but they were all full. I wouldn't say the 1 bed apts are suitable for 4 adults. We were up on the 8th floor and it took 4 lifts to get us there. The hill leading up to the resort has been nicknamed Cardiac Hill and whoever gave it the name was absolutely right. We only did the walk up about 5 or 6 times - boy what a hike!!! The other thing that disappointed us was that there was absolutely no entertainment on site, the pool bar closed at 6 pm and although the restaurant served drinks, because it was waitress service there was no ambience about the place. There was extensive building going on to the left of the resort where it looks like a new water park is being developed. This may create noise in the future but it didn't bother us - just heavy vehicle movement and lots of flying dust. On the whole I would say that we were all pretty disappointed with the holiday. I'm very glad to say that we have now used up our trial membership with Club la Costa and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: 19th June 2007

Monterey Royal impresses

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"Stayed for a week at the Monterey Royal and am very impressed with the standard of accommodation. It's like having your own apartment abroad, and as part of a "welcome pack" the fridge was already stocked with bread, milk, eggs and water! The Jacuzzi on the balcony was an unexpected bonus, but be very careful as the floor is extremely slippy when wet. After a fall, we used the rubber matt that is normally meant for the bath. The cleanliness is top-notch, and the staff very friendly. They'll ring the door-bell before coming in to see whether you want the room serviced that day. And every day surfaces are wiped down/polished, floors are mopped, towels changed, etc. The Monterey Royal also had its own pool, specifically for the apartments, and lifeguard was on duty. It should be noted that this was our first trip with Club La Costa, who, inevitably wanted us to sign up for a "freehold" lifelong membership. As a consequence we were in the 5 star Monterey Royal, which is next door to the Monterey (although reception, internet access and restaurants are all in the same place). The Monterey (which we didn't stay in) looked okay. They get the sun for the afternoon and full evening, and the general pool looked busy but fun. Again, a lifeguard was on duty. Restaurants on site are a bit limited. The one by the pool serves until 5pm, and offers Jacket Potatoes, fantastic baguettes (I asked for cheese and salad which wasn't on the menu, but they were very willing to make for me), pizzas, breakfasts, etc. From 7pm the evening restaurant near the reception opens. The food is extremely good, and not at all expensive. It is best to book, especially on a Friday night when all the newbies arrive. Try the flambe'ed strawberries - they're fab. Monterey seems to cater exclusively for english tourists, and everything is in english, even the menues! Not good for those seeking a more authentically spanish break in the sun! The location is a bit restrictive, and not advisable for any body with mobility problems, or if hiring a car, people who can't park properly! The hill down to the "town" is extremely steep, and it's best to avoid walking up it! Taxi's are relatively cheap. If looking for a different place to eat in the evening, take a cab (booked through reception) to La Caleta, which has a number of restaurants. La Vieja is extremely lovely, little bit pricey, but the food was excellent. The waiter recommended a very nice wine, and a local fish dish. Also, there were lots of extremely well-dressed locals (ie. not bikini-clad) dining there which is always a good sign that the restaurant is of a good standard. I wouldn't head into Playa las Americas unless necessary, it's too touristy and seems to cater solely for hen/stag do's."

• Travel date: 19th June 2007

Hotels near CLC Monterey

Top traveller tips for CLC Monterey

• by Lili M

"Chose some where else"

CLC Monterey is also called

• Club La Costa at Monterey
  • hotel club la costa at monterey
  • hotel club la costa at monterey adeje