POOL

Very Bad Bed-Bug Infestation at this Hotel

Reviewed 28th March 2013

"The hotel isn't that bad actually,but very isolated in a barren area,the restaurant staff and catering staff are excellent,I cannot say the same for the upper management and the reception staff, they would all benefit from an intense course of customer relations training. After three days I noticed bite marks on my legs,I just put them down to mosquito bites and thought no more of it,until one night i awoke to find bedbugs crawling all over me,I was bitten from head to toe and became very seriously ill,for over 12 months. I am Diabetic and my left foot became black,infected and gangrenous,the bites on the area around my abdomen became badly infected with open puss filled wounds and it was only the efforts of my GP and a Specialist Vascular Surgeon at my local hospital that saved my foot from being amputated,all thanks to getting bitten by bedbugs at this hotel. I can tell you several rooms are already listed on Trip Adviser as having bedbug infestations,you might like to check,I nearly lost my foot due to infections caused by Bedbug Bites I picked up at this Hotel. Have a nice holiday!! Sleep tight, don't let the Bedbugs Bite!!"

• Travel date: 28th March 2013

Lovely hotel

Reviewed 18th July 2012

"Lovely hotel. Room was very large with lovely sea view. Rooms were very clean and maids re stocked mini bar daily - although quantities were hit and miss ( 1 beer for 2 people). Pool area was great. Large pool wuth plenty of loungers around and we were able to get loungers at 11am. Buffet lunch and dinner was good always something to choose from. Themed buffet nights also meant you were guaranteed different food choices. Restaurants to book were very good especially Mexican and Italian. Didn't use facilitiies In the adeje side other than Italian. However we did walk round one evening and it looked very nice. Other holiday makers commented that the Tenerife was the quieter of the 2 hotels. All evening entertainment is held in the adeje. We did go to this some nights and the nights we saw were very good. Location is good 15 min taxi ride from las Americas. Would have been nice to be nearer a beach but knew this before we went so didn't shock us when we arrived. If it hadn't been for the weather putting us off I would go back to this hotel. Loved it do much we are staying in the same chain this year but in Mexico. "

• Travel date: 17th July 2012

Bed Bugs at Bahia Principe Tenerife

Reviewed 4th November 2011

"Having returned from here, we were bitten constantly in the night, thinking it was mosquitos we increased our repellant in room and on our skin only to find more puncture marks/ bites appearing on our bodies each morning. One early morning, awoke to find 2 bed bugs on tummy. Killing it and taking it down to hotel rep and staff, they then moved us very quickly apologising to us profusely and when they saw it they said oh bed bugs (yuk). I wonder how many guests are getting bit and like us at first assume it is mosquitos and also allowing the hotel staff to inform you its mosquitos!!. Being mindful that the bites dependant on your body reaction time can take anything up to 14 days to appear fully. If you decide to go, check the bed sheets for brown/dark small marks and if they are there, then examine your bed seams and around the bed you will probably find its bed bugs (they are visible to the naked eye) horrible parasites and ask for a different room. If you do find your being bitten, report it immediately and inform them on a customer complaint form keeping a copy. Do not let the hotel fob you off that they are mosquito bites and try and kill one to show them. We are experienced travellers who have travelled all over the world and have never experienced anything like this in our lives. We will never ever return to this hotel. Trip advisor have also had guests staying at the Bahia Principe Tenerife making similar comments, please be aware of this before booking. "

• Travel date: 3rd November 2011

great hotel!!

Reviewed 31st March 2011

"just returned from bahia principe tenerife and was really impressed with the hotel.it is well maintained and staff are polite and helpful. our room was spotless and spacious.television has english channels and not just the news!! drinks are plentiful and food is too! the sister hotel is available to use and has lovely gardens and pool areas although i am happy we stayed in this one as it is quieter. we did use the pool at sister hotel as it overlooks sea. i cant think of anything negative about this hotel and would def return.it is 4 star for sure.i have stayed at other four star hotels which do not have the same ambience and servuce as this hotel.iwould def return to this hotel.car hire is avialable at the hotel."

• Travel date: 25th March 2011

Best Hotel we have stayed in to date

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"I had high expectations of this hotel and they were all met and exceeded. I have two minor faults with the hotel, for a 4* sup hotel, there was no beach, well no beach as we would normally expect to see. There is a huge area in front of the hotel between the sea that is baron land and I just felt that this could be turned into a beach. My second fault on the hotel was breakfast, too often the food was lukewarm at best. Lunch and Dinner was fine. The Asian restaurant was excellent and the Italian was good, however I was disappointed with the mexcian, food was not of the highest quality. Kids loved the shallow pools, cava, beer, and wines were all above average, dont really touch the spirits myself. I would return to this hotel in a cple of years time, maybe to the sister hotel Costa Adeje, which appeared more lively, although more expensive than the Tenerife hotel. All in all, we had a great holiday."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2005

Shame about the cold food

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Having been to the sister hotel, the Costa Adeje, last year, I was expecting the best of everything and it almost was. This hotel has beautiful rooms and decor and is spotlessly clean, however on this visit I was disappointed to find that one of the previous writers was correct in saying that the hotel food was cold. At breakfast the bacon, scrambled egg, tomatoes and poached eggs were cold; not tepid, but stone cold. The baked beans could have been poured straight into the serving dish from the can as there was no sign of them ever being heated up. I spoke to the head waiter who appeared to take this on board. Two days later the food was exactly the same and so I made a formal written complaint via reception. The following day the Public Relations telephoned the room to find out if the stuation had improved and we had to answer honestly that it hadn't. Towards the very end of our eleven day holiday it had improved very slightly. This was the only disappointment in an otherwise lovely holiday. It was also only the second complaint I have ever made in 30 years of holidays all over the world, so I am not a professional complainer. It would be a shame if the hotel did not take steps to put this right."

• Travel date: 21st November 2005

when in need

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"we arrived from Gatwick at 4.00 am after a 12 hour nightmare delay,on booking in we were told that they had no booking for us, we had all our paperwork, we had paid in full in June, the agent had not paid the hotel, WOW did they sort this out there was no problem and we were taken to our rooms they advised us their first concern was our welfare the problem could wait,needless to say it was they were first class as was the hotel,best ever."

• Travel date: 2nd November 2005

The food leaves a lot to be desired

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"This hotel is beautiful. It's rooms, pool and facilities are exellant, pitty I can't say the same about the stodge. The food on your arrival day will be exellant then it goes downhill from there. If you enjoy eating cold food then book this hotel with a smile on your face. Cold beans,eggs,bacon what more can I say, take the Immodium with you as there is no shops for miles. The Doctor service that the hotel provides is exellant only 15 mins wait and on 75 euroes for a consultation, but be warned the jab he gives you to stop the trotts curtasy of the food stings like hell. Complane like we did and you get nowere best £2000.00 we have spent to sitt on the throne all week, I almost thought I was the queen. The best advise I can give you is to take your holiday broucher with you then when you can't get the pool side towels you can point this out to whoever will listen to you as the staff won't. The good news is that I have lost half a stone in less than a week."

• Travel date: 29th October 2005

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Stayed at Bahia-principe in September,. Fantastic hotel, will be going back again. Anyone in any doubt take my word for it,it's wonderfull. Just a tip for anyone that is going , If you go to the public square at night, they have a table of help yourself drinks of everything you should need out side the snack bar(which is next to the hairdressers) They keep it well stocked up from the time mini dico starts right through till the evening show finishes. Also the entertainment team work really hard and are all lovely, I think it is sad that people are quick to critise them., get to know them , laugh with them and you will enjoy it more.Learn the hotel song and dance, and have an irish coffee for me!"

• Travel date: 17th October 2005

Fantastic!

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Spent two weeks in the Bahia Principe Tenerife which is set back further from the sea than its sister hotel the Bahia Principe Costa Adeje. The Tenerife block is smaller and appeared to be quieter than the Costa Adeje. We were there in late September so there wasn't much problems with hordes of kids although the buggy brigade was out in force. What we loved about the Tenerife hotel was being able to having breakfast, lunch and dinner out on the sea view terrace. Salad, wine, white linen table cloths, parasols, sunshine and sparkling blue sea - what more could you ask for in the middle of the day? The Costa Adeje didn't appear to set their tables for breakfast or lunch and there was limited space for dinner. Although I'm sure dining al fresco is not year round so guests in the winter might not have that advantage. The terrace bar in the Tenerife was also nicer and less busy than the Costa Adeje below. That said, The Costa Adeje has much more picturesque pools and gardens and the addition of a lovely infinity pool over the sea. The buffet restaraunt was a virtual banquet every meal. We tried the a la carte fish restaurant in the Costa Adeje which was great. We also tried the Oriental restaurant which we didn't really rate but lots of other people did. Food was generally top class and the staff serve very palatable half carafes of wine, beer or soft drinks and as many as you like! The white was crisp and dry, the rose was fine but we found the chilled red wine a bit rough. Still, it's all personal taste and other people liked it. The white wine served to us from the bar was bad but we discovered there was a second variety of the same wine that was far nicer. Otherwise the sparking Cava was fine. If you like Irish coffees, they also seemed to go down a treat. The mini-bar in the room with beer, water and soft drinks refilled daily was also a nice touch. They had some live, non-intrusive music on the terrace bar most nights. It was a lot better than the 'entertainment' in the village square. We had a look in there one night and it was like a vision of hell: Screaming kids, bouncy castles and screeching performances of 'musicals'. There is a pay-bar pub in the square and guests are not supposed to bring free drinks from the hotel there. We thought this was the only really miserable touch in the hotel - especially for parents being dragged by small kids to the 'entertainment' every night. If you want to leave the hotel, you really need a car or be prepared to fork out for taxis. The hotel bus is virtually non-existent and the public bus only comes once an hour if you're lucky. However, the best option is to be lazy, sit back and enjoy the facilities of the hotel. The increasingly tatty and rough resorts of Las Americas and Los Christianos are best avoided anyway. Enjoy! There's just no excuse not to!"

• Travel date: 12th October 2005

Excellent family holiday!!!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We have just returned from the Bahia Principe and are already booked up to return next year! The hotel is absolutely immaculate and is spotlessly clean, with an army of staff evident. The actual rooms are airy and spacious with air conditioning and ceiling fan.There is also a mini-bar which is replenished daily-all free of charge! The bedding and towels were changed daily and the room was as clean when we left as it was when we arrived. The hotel itself is set amongst stunning gardens and is quite hilly so perhaps not the best choice if mobility is a problem. The reception and restaraunts are very spacious and impressive in design. The pool areas are also spotlessly clean and when we went there were an abundance of sunbeds and parasols. The kids entertainers are wonderful with a huge range of activities to keep the little ones amused. We stayed in the Costa Adeje hotel which was probably best suited for families but the Tenerife hotel is quieter and would suit couples better. All-in-all a superb holiday experience and I would highly recommend it to all!"

• Travel date: 19th September 2005

if you want a romantic getaway then forget it

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Having stayed at the Bahia Principe in Mexico and researching reviews and web sites, I had no hesitation in booking for the Bahia principe in Tenerife. I wish I hadn't bothered. This has been my most disappointing holiday ever. I have to say that the room are superb, all being Junior suites, but You don't go on holiday to spend all your time in the room. The pools are quite large but the sunbeds are all squashed together, you become very friendly with the people on the next beds! If you aren't prepared to set your alarm and run down at 7am you can forget getting a sunbed, there just are not enough. It is quite interesting watching people run around with towels from your balcony claiming their spot. There are only enough Parasols for every 4 or 5 beds, all claimed at the crack of dawn, so if the sun comes out you have had it. Mind you it only came out 2 days out of 7 while we were there. (Constant dark cloud over the mountains) The main cause for concern was the huge number of children. It seemed almost compulsory to have at least two loud and unruly children. They constantly screamed, ran around the dining areas, and generally did as they liked. The entertainment was also poor and aimed totally at children. Every morning you were greeted at 10.30am by someone shouting down a microphone "Wakey Wakey" and then playing loudly the song Good Morning. The resort has its own song which is played ritualistically several times a day and to which people are expected to join in. There are three pool areas but none of them are designated quiet areas, so you get this row wherever you go. We usually go for a two week holiday at this time of year, but circumstances forced us to only have a one week break, How glad we were to come home. I suggest that you save your money and go to the bahia principe resort in Mexico because that is suberb, total paradise and a true all inclusive, its hard to beleive that this is the same company. I won't be going to Tenerife again."

• Travel date: 2nd August 2005

Hotels near Sunlight Bahia Principe Tenerife

Top traveller tips for Sunlight Bahia Principe Tenerife

• by Jim A

"Do not go to this hotel"

• by tonybakerw

"Take BedBug spray and Bedbug "gas bombs".Dont risk it if you are Diabetic,it could kill you or at the very least cost you a limb."

• by Miss K L

"Book all al a carte restaurants on your first day. Get Booked up very quickly and only late sitting are left."

• by Sammy007

"Dont stay here or if you do check the beds before getting into them, if bitten try and get proof and report it on a customer report form kee..."

• by sh

"hire a car if you want to explore the island or bus available"

Sunlight Bahia Principe Tenerife is also called

• bahia principe resort teneriffa
  • hotel bahia principe resort teneriffa
  • bahia principe tenerife adeje