Spring Hotel Vulcano

Avda Antonio Dominguez Alfonso 8, 38660 Playa de las Americas, Tenerife Spain

Vulcano overview

Good

"I took my 13 year old son to the Vulcano for school half term in late October. Here's some thoughts:

Booking

This was really good via the website. Nice 10% discount and the free transfer was appreciated (including very prompt confirmation back by email). The taxi was ready and waiting on arrival at Tenerife Sur airport so the arrangements could not be faulted.

Location and first impressions

Really in a good location in the less tacky side of Las Americas - easy to get to the beach and the shopping centres. Entrance to hotel quite impressive with a large botanical garden in the atrium.

Accomodation

Rooms really quite nice - we were on the 5th floor with a pool view. Didn't look so great for rooms without pool view and if you were lower down you were near the main bar where entertainment is noisy until midnight. If you want to get some sleep before then, aim higher up the building! My son particularly liked the Sky Sports 1 feed into the TV.

Less satisfcatory for me were: lack of tea and coffee making facilities in room; inability to control light on balcony (switched off centrally around 2330); air conditioning a tad erratic (really stuffy in the middle of the night with air con not working brilliantly); and a really annoying note received one day about keeping externally purchased drink in the mini bar fridge. I have never encountered the latter and it seems unbelievably petty.

The maid service was very good though - most thorough and they were happy to come back if you were in.

Food

We went for half board. The breakfast was really pretty good with a vast array of fruit, cold meats, cereals and traditional cooked offerings. Maybe it would have been nice to have extended the breakfast time beyond 1000 and believe you me, they start packing up very sharp at 1000!

Dinner was more variable and there was the inevitable struggle to mass cater yet provide a decent array of dishes. The salads were really good and there is always a grill offering steaks, chops, spare ribs and fish. I found the fish really nice (e.g. grouper, sea bass). The real gripe for me was the tendency to use canned vegetables, which were really quite nasty. My son loved the fresh bread rolls.

Clientele

This is a hotel that makes its living on the back of the 'grey pound'. Most guests were in the 50 - 70+ age range, although there were some families. My son struggled to find pals, but there were a few around and the children/teenagers tended to meet at the various activities organised (water polo, pool, darts, table tennis etc). I would say that this is a fantastic hotel if you are retired.

Facilities/entertainment

The main facilities on site are the two pools, a games room (seen better days - two pool tables, table tennis) and a squash court. There is a very ropey mini golf and sand pit masquerading as a petanque pitch around the back of the hotel. No doubt the general lack of interest from guests meant that there is little interest in improving these facilities.

The pools are reasonable - one is coldish and one can positively be like a hot spring. You can see the temeperatures on a display, and at one point this showed 29 degrees. One problem while we were there was the warm pool became cloudy and looked a bit like soup - maybe a problem with the filtration system. The pool was shut down for a day.

Finding the squash court is an adventure in itself - it is in the bowels of the building and we were about the only people to use it for the 11 days we were there. Major gripe here that there was an extra charge for a facility which clearly no-one used (2 Euros for 30 minutes plus 2 Euros each for a racquet, which was pretty tatty). The court itself was pretty pristine, no doubt due to underuse.

Tennis is provided over the road at the sister hotel (Bitacora). The court is OK, but once again you get charged and it's 6 Euros for an hour. You have to book up, but Bitacora guests don't, so you could find that your court is occupied on arrival.

Entertainment - if that is the right word - consists of various caberet type acts which do go down well with an elderly audience. It was not my cup of tea, although there was a magic act on one night that was really very good. The bar where this takes place is large and the decor is all a bit 70's.

Conclusion

I am not sure whether this is really a 4 Star hotel, but I have not any point of reference with other hotels in Tenerife. I would imagine it compares pretty favourably.

I am spoilt by experiences in Thailand where hotels are miles better, and on balance I would choose to go to somewhere like the Pestana Grande in Madeira which is a modern, rather more sophisticated hotel with spa/gym facilities. If you're going to Tenerife, though, and you are retired, you will not be going too far wrong."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of November 2005

very nice

"it was a quick weeks break from the normal life although the hotel was very nice and the food excellent hotel room nice and clean added bonus to us brits who like clean sheets and towels..although the thing what did horrify me was the number of cockroaches which scurry around in the late hours in reception may i add it is like a jungle so they feel at home but with all them comfy couches i did think of all the old dears who sleep soundly in the day and think what could be lurking yuk!! did see afew squashed ones in the hotel corridors which horrified us as we were high up on the 6th floor but overall had a good holiday except being ripped off by the company who target white brits with the scratch cards and promise them goodies they should be imprisoned i have a lovely fight on my hands to retrieve 1,050.00 pounds back from my credit card company for listening to a 3 hour interigation by timelinx c/o world wide travel and have since been informed i have to pay a extra 300.00 on top of the 1,050.00 to cancel the agreement so just be aware if u meet a scratch card seller curtisy of timelinx tell them to....bleep bleep because they will ruin your holiday especially when u return home and investigate it on the internet..stay clear a person whom is fighting back. anyway volcano is a great place to stay just beware on the streets."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of October 2005

Great Hotel

Good

"Have just returned from our second trip to this lovely hotel. The cleanliness within the hotel itself is excellent. We have experienced both the VIP rooms and the standard rooms - both alike in style/layout but you get a pool view with the VIP room. The rooms are cleaned every day with the bed sheets being changed every second day. Air conditioning in the rooms is great - so good in fact that we sometimes turned it down a bit. We stayed half board but you have the option of full board if required. What can you say about the food here - no one could possibly say that they were not catered for. The choice is unbelievable whether it be breakfast or dinner. The staff in the dining areas are first class, nothing too much trouble for them. The entertainment in the evenings does cater mainly for the 40s+ range, but they do have some very good acts appearing. Again within the bars the staff are excellent. I would say that this hotel is not really suited to people with kids - it is great for adults as no pool toys are allowed in the pools at all. There are a couple of sections cut off for children, but really only adequate for toddlers (in here they can use pool toys). As usual you have the early morning towel brigade - in fact I witnessed people putting down towels at 7.10 a.m. one morning - but have no fear - if you arrive at the poolside and you can't get a bed, just speak to the lifeguard and he will remove towels from beds which he has marked as being unused - they do notice who puts towels down and then disappear until the afternoon!!!! The pools themselves are the only letdown to this hotel - they could perhaps do with shutting one off at a time and retiling them but other than that they are nice and warm. All in all, there is nothing at all bad that you could say about this hotel and no one could fail to be impressed on walking into it for the first time - it is like walking into the jungle and you can also just sit there and relax on the many sofas and the staff from the bars will be more than happy to bring you drinks or even coffee or tea. It is in a great area with nice local bars nearby - the 'strip' is just next to the hotel where a great night can be had especially at the Soul Suite but note that you have to get there early to get a seat or you have no chance. Another good night out is further down the road a bit - Mary Rogan's Irish Pub where most nights of the week the fantastic Michael Graham entertains you - we have been to this pub various nights over our two holidays to Tenerife and have yet to leave early. Also, if you get the chance via the hotel to visit their sister hotel the Playa La Arena - take it, a lovely hotel indeed. We went for a day this year and were most impressed, so much so that the next time we go to Tenerife we may spend part of the holiday there."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of September 2005

beautiful vulcano

"we stayed at the Vulcano for two weeks in July, it is truly a beautiful hotel with plants all around the reception. It is cool where you need it most ie your rooms, the air conditioning was first class. Yes there was a bit of building work going on at the time we where there but it did not spoil our enjoyment of this hotel, we would return to the vulcano tomorrow if we could. The staff were very welcoming, at reception, in the dining hall, and even the room sevice staff managed a hola and smile.
The food was yummy so much choice of hot and cold dishes and best of all glorious puddings.
It is situated in a good position to all the shops, bars and beach.
The entertainment was alright for some guests, but this did not worry us as we had done so much during the day we just wanted to chill out and relax in the evening, if we had wanted to party all night in the area outside of the hotel we could have as the bars and clubs were just a short walk away although they were not obtrusive.
We always managed to find sunbeds around the pool, sometimes we were the only couple in the pool, (but only for a few minutes). It is a hotel for couples and older people, there were a few children at the hotel and to be honest it was nice to see them and the staff seemed to think so as well."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

Shame about the builders

Good

"The hotel was excellent and the food was the best quality. Staff were great with the exception of the reception staff, who pleaded ignorence to everything. The one thing that spoiled our holiday was the building noise both from the hotel rooms at the back of the pool area that were being refurbished and from the Tenerife Princess Hotel next door (our room was overlooking the work from next door). The work on the rooms at the back of the hotel was caused by sledge hammers and drills digging up floors. Apart from there lunch break this went on from 9.00 a.m. til 4.00 Monday to Friday. It was so bad you couldn't even concerntrate to read or do a crossword, but the hotel reception said they knew nothing about it. The work on the adjacent hotel usually started at 8.00 a.m. but on a couple of mornings it was only 7.20 a.m. and this went on until almost 8.00 p.m. I would go back to this hotel, but only if I was guarenteed there was no further work being carried out."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of July 2005

Amazing!!!

"Myself and my boyfriend have just returned from a two week stay at the Vulcano, we had an amazing experience. We decided on this hotel after reading the graet reviews on this web site and we weren't disappointed!
As we entered the lobby on arrival we were overwhelmed by the beauty of the jungle like feeling and that was just the start! i had emailed the hotel before we arrived asking for a top floor room and we got room number 758, it was the end room on the top floor and an amazing view over the pool and towards the sea. we paid a supplement for a pool view and i would definatley do this again it is worth every penny.
We spent most days by the pool which was nice although could perhaps do with some modernerisation, the water foutain was only put on two or three times during our stay. The sunbeds were being reserved very early but at least you get a nice spot next to the pool.
The food- where do i start?!? Absolutley fantastic we have never experienced anything like it or eaten so much. over the two weeks we were there nothing was repeated and there was something for eveyone i can't imagine anyone complaining! one tip don't pile your plate too high as you will regret it later on in the holiday when you have no room for anymore food or drink! Happy hour is worthvisiting in the bar- between 6-7pm drinks are BOGOF!!! The staff are so friendly and efficient we couldn't fault anyone. My boyfriend joined in with the organised activites round the pool and at the end of our stay got a free hat, t shirt and bag!!
During our stay it was his birthday so i informed reception and they put a free bottle of wine in our room on the date.
Another tip is to apply for the spring card, that way if you buy any drinks etc in the hotel and put them on your room bill at the end of your stay you get 10% off!
we went on the free shuttle bus to the other spring hotel playa la arena, we had a great day out and got to use all the facilities and have a look around the hotel, it's well worth going on.
If wereturn to tenerife we will only be stopping at the vulcano its a great hotel and the area couldn't be better there are lots of shops and bars and the beach is a five min walk.
I wouldn't recomend this hotel to families with children, it is best for couples. We are in our twenties and most ppl at the hotel were in there sixties but everyone was very very friendly. The entertainment wasn't our cup of tea but most ppl seemed to enjoy it.
overall a fab hotel and i am sure we will be returning!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of July 2005

Superb Location

"Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Vulcano in Tenerife. The hotel is in an excellent location and beaches, bars and shops are all within easy walking distance. The location of the hotel also ensures you are not kept awake by noise in the early hours of the morning. We stayed half board and were impressed by the food available and the times. Breakfast is from 7:30am - 10am and evening meal 6:30pm - 9:30pm, excellent as you can go anytime between those hours which means you aren't restricted. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are excellent, very clean and there is plenty of space too!
The pool area is ok, plenty of sunbeds, though towels are down as early as 7am (!). We are not usually beach fans but the beaches are so near and so nice we went down quite a few times. I would highly recommend this hotel.
Evening entertainment in the hotel is OK if you are over 60 but there are so many places to go round and about it was no great let down."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of July 2005

Make sure you take elasticated waist trousers with you !

"Just returned from a fabulous two weeks in the Vulcano. Prior to booking we did the usual research and we decided to see what everyone was raving about. We were not disappointed ! The quality and choice of food was beyond anything I have ever seen before in this type of hotel, the choice of food from the grill (even fillet steak) in the evening was enough on its own without the wide and varied selection of the other prepared foods/salads/special diet choice etc etc. The hotel staff were very friendly and the area around the hotel as well as the rooms were exeptionally clean. Our only critiscism is that we 'upgraded' to a VIP room which benefits included having a pool view, use of safe and fridge in room and bathrobes (one size only - no good if your waist size is more than 30"). Our expectation of what a VIP room should be fell rather short as these rooms are identical in all respects to other rooms. That said, there are a small number of rooms with long private balconies which I would consider to be of a VIP standard. A number of guests we spoke to had also upgraded and were as equally disappointed, especially when they learnt that some residents had not paid the upgrade surcharge for the same accommodation. Overall, for the food alone you must try this hotel - but do not pay for any upgrade."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of June 2005

The Vulcano a truly wonderful hotel

"Myself,my wife and my parents have just returned from a truly wonderful week in the Vulcano (I only wish it was 2 weeks), we read previous complimentary reviews on the Vulcano prior to booking and the positive comments we read persuaded us to book the Vulcano over a short list of both 4* and 5* hotels. Although the Vulcano is only rated a 4* I believe is worthy of a 5*, as I am sure all guests who have stayed here will agree.
Where shall I begin.....first impressions 'Reception' breathtaking, relaxed,internal waterfall, trailing ivy, palm trees,"you have to see it to believe it". Rooms-beautiful..panelled walls, large bathroom, own patio with sunbeds, spotlessly clean and only a stone's throw from the pool..Ah the pools- warm, uncrowded, no lilos or ball games 'heaven'. My wife is 5 months pregnant and the room location was perfect for her, in fact the staff were so attentive and the head waiter always ensured she was seated as soon as we entered the resteraunt. Food...if you have stayed here before you will know what I am about to say - quality,choice,fresh,abundance, I don't anyone who could be disappointed with the Food at the Vulcano.
Well I think I have gone on long enough I don't want to spoil the pleasant surprise you will experience from staying at the Vulcano. Finally on behalf of myself, my wife and my parents "Thank you Hotel Vulcano for a wonderful holiday, and we will be back!""

• Travel date: Tue 17th of May 2005

supremely comfortable hotel

"Having read the very favourable reviews about this hotel, we decided to go for it and it surely lived up to the high standards almost all authors have spoke of.

This is indeed a beautifully appointed hotel, well worthy of its 4 star rating with the reception area decked out as a lush sub tropical garden with an abundance of international flora, labelled for the horticulturalists amongst us. First impressions count for an awful lot and this area exudes a warm ambiance at night with comfortable seating, strategically placed lighting and recorded bird noises, but without the flying insects which would plague such an outdoor setting.

The accomodation itself is exceptionally well appointed, roomy, clean and comfortable but with one small downside namely the double bed. Although large, it consisted of two mattresses butted together which meant there was an uncomfortable ridge in the middle of the bed. This may well of course suit those couples who argue a lot and require distance between each other, but we found it a little annoying and uncomfortable. Sound insulation between rooms was good and the provision of carpets in the hallways meant that noise levels were relatively low during the wee small hours.

The air conditioning was just adequate in the rooms but was far from noisy which suits those amongst us who hate ticking clocks.

On the positive side, the food was of high quality,plentiful with a varied and wide choice at all sittings with several dishes being cooked continuously on the grill which ensured their freshness. A nice touch was the microwave in the dining area for those who like their food very hot and there was never a queue for its use either.

The hotel is situated in the nicest part of the resort with good bars/entertainment close by and barely a ten minute walk to the sandy beach. The hotel itself caters in the main for shall we say the more mature guests amongst us and the "in house" entertainment reflects this and was not to our taste, but then again you cant please all the people all the time. Lager louts were noticeable by their absence and we are sure the hotel would actively discourage any rowdy behaviour in the unlikely event of it occuring.

We can only conclude by saying " enjoy " as you will be hard pressed to find a better place without paying a small fortune for the priviledge."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of April 2005

Disappointing holiday

"We have just come back from the Vulcano hotel.This was the four time but most disappointing
We did not know until we arrived that the hotel is
closing down for refurbishment. Unfortunately nothing been done to keep hotel up to standard .compared to what it was this place is untidy and scruffy
We would have liked to been offered a clean and tidy hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2017

Our stay at the Vulcano Hotel

"Myself & my husband have just returned from a 2 week stay at the vulcano hotel,very comfortable large room,lucky to have a large balcony with 2 sunbeds as well as table & chairs overlooking part of pool.Very nice food plenty of choice,the only down sides are 1 the air/cond is very noisy so we had to switch it off at night otherwise you could'nt sleep,2 the sunbed situation is not good as you are too close together and thier idea of a shade canopy is no better than a bike shed it would be so much better with umbrellas,and finally there is no facilities whatsoever for anyone who smokes as there is no outside bar and worse of all people are forced to go to the entrance of the hotel, and in my opinion this must look very bad for any new arrivals to be greeted with loads of people sitting around smoking in the entrance, but they've got no option because there is nowhere else to go. Best area in playa americas to stay though. MR&MRS WATTS Dorset."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of June 2011

Hotels near Spring Hotel Vulcano

Stayed at Spring Hotel Vulcano? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Spring Hotel Vulcano

• Eddie Tierney by Eddie Tierney

"The Dancing fountains in the main shopping area, which work to music- a must see attraction "

• hellopes by hellopes

"Very Clean Bright And Enjoyable "

• linton by linton

"walk towards the sea front & there are lots of shops, bars, restaurants etc. "

Spring Hotel Vulcano is also called