Excellent hotel. Food excellent, plenty...

Good
Reviewed Wed 30th of June 2004

"Excellent hotel. Food excellent, plenty of choice, pasta, pizza, chips for kids and plenty of fish and meat choices.

Staff very friendly and always willing to help. Large pools and sun terrace but you have to be up early to book a sun bed one of the down sides to a holiday abroad. The kid’s entertainment was mainly for young kids.

The drinks at the pool and in the bar were a bit expensive but we found a nice little bar just down the hill called Rabbit Bar. Cheap drink, no touts, plain food, great for having a natter with friends and family. We were their nearly every night.

One down side of Tenerife was the amount of touts that tried to get you into the pubs and restaurants, it was hard to go for a leisurely walk without getting handed a menu or tried to be ushered into somewhere. We had to grin and bear it.

Overall an excellent holiday and we would go again."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of June 2004

We booked the Bougainvillea having liked...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"We booked the Bougainvillea having liked the look of it from a previous holiday in Tenerife, we had also heard some good reports of it from others who were staying there so we were looking forward to our holiday.

We were not disappointed. When we arrive, in the early hours of the morning we were greeted with a free glass of champagne, they even had a porter to take our cases to our room.

Our room was facing in Playa and we could see the beach and sea, it room was spacious, very clean and had a free TV and fridge that came in very useful.

The food in the hotel is excellent, there is a good and varied selection every night and all good quality.

We didn’t drink much at night in the hotel, preferring to go to some of the local bars of which there are plenty.

There are two pools at the hotel, I think they could have done with being a bit bigger but we had a good time using them. There is the usual problem of getting a sunbed and

people leaving towels on them while they go out.

The hotel is located outside the main part of Playa and this is an advantage as it is a bit quieter.

Playa itself probably has more touts than anywhere else I’ve been and they can get quite forceful at times, this is more of a problem in the centre, where we tried to avoid after a few times.

You may have heard of a place called Veronicas where there are bars and clubs, we found it to be dirty, we gave it a miss and found some good bars and restaurants near the hotel.

The beach is close to the hotel and is nice, as is the beach at Los Christianos which is worth a visit.

Tenerife is a beautiful island and I would recommend spending a couple of days exploring, we hired a car and went to Mount Teide, which is the third largest volcano in the world and the highest mountain in Spain, you can get a cable car to the top and get some spectacular

views.

The north of the island is much greener and is a nice drive.

Overall we had a great time in Tenerife and the Bougainvillea and would greatly recommend it.

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

On arrival at the Bouganville at 3am, so...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"On arrival at the Bouganville at 3am, so we were quite tired, we were very impressed by the hotel. The entrance and foyer are spectacular. As we checked in, we were given a complementary glass of champagne, and our luggage was taken to our rooms for us.

We were on the 5th floor facing the main part of playa de Las Americas, and the views over the town and beach were amazing.

The room was spacious, very clean with a large bathroom. There was even a fridge, and a TV (which you don’t have to pay extra for). The maids were very good, and came every day, even the day we arrived.

The restaurant is very big, and the staff are extremely helpful. There is good selection of food for breakfast and dinner, and it is replaced with fresh food regularly so nothing is sitting there for ages. You can even wait while your meat and eggs are cooked in front of you.

There are two pools, which were really nice, the sun is still warming them up at 7pm. The sunbeds however are limited and you have to be up early to get one, or wait until late afternoon. If you're not bothered about being next to the pool though there are a few sunbeds on the roof of the hotel.

As for the location, you couldn’t get any better. The beach is only a couple of minutes away, down some steps, it's not the biggest beach, and it is black (volcanic) sand, but it is still soft and clean. You are also not very far away from the main nightlife of veronicas, even though we didn’t venture in much because of getting hassle from touts. But the hotel is not too close, so it's not too noisy at night.

There are a few quieter bars near to the hotel, including The Brum Bar. You can get a pint of local lager for one and a half euros, and the staff (Ade, Lynn, Phil, Claire, Terri and Ian) are all really friendly. You can even get a really good meal in there.

If you are planning any days out, I highly recommend going to the top of Mount Tiede. It's quite expensive to get to the top (20Euros each) and the cable car is quite scary, but when you are up there, the views are spectacular, on a clear day, you can see all seven of the canary islands.

I would also recommend going to see the whales and dolphins. If you go to Puerto Colon (about a 5 minute walk from the Bouganville) go on the Bondeda 2, it's 25euros each for 2 hours, bit it is well worth it. It's only a small catamaran, but when we were on it there was only 11 of us on it, and it was very personal. We didn’t stop until we saw some whales and there were amazing, swimming right up to the boat. If you were on any of the other boats, some of them cost more, you wouldn’t get anywhere near the same experience.

All and all, I think that Tenerife and the Bouganville are amazing. No doubt, we will be booking up for next year.

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

Lovely hotel, very clean and well looked...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"Lovely hotel, very clean and well looked after, the hotel staff were very helpful and the maids came in the room daily to replace all the towels and also give it a very good clean. The rooms have fantastic air conditioning, fridges and safety deposit boxes. The food from this hotel was amazing, I have never seen such a wide spread buffet, and there was definitely something to suit everyone. In the hotel complex they had two generously sized swimming pools and plenty of sun lounges, if you want to escape the busy pool area you could go to the top of the hotel and use the sun terrace, and the beach was approximately 5 minutes away, with plenty of places to stop for refreshments.

The only reason the hotel did not get a 10 from me was the simple reason of the hotel key, which came in the form of a swipe card, it was used to open the private gates to the pool area and to enter your hotel room, I think in our 10 days at the hotel we went through at least 8 cards, they become faulty very easily, hotel staff put it down to the heat, and had no problems replacing them.

The evening entertainment was enjoyable and for every age group, over the road from the hotel there was a few bars, however to get to the main nightlife you just ask reception to call you a taxi, which arrives immediately to take you into the centre, it costs the equivalent of £1.50 and gets you there in 10 minutes, if you are feeling fit and can take the heat, you can walk there in approx 15/20 minutes. The nightlife in the centre is good, the only downside been all the bar staff trying to drag you into every pub, you just have to be firm and say no.

The hotel Bouganville made our holiday in Tenerife so comfortable and enjoyable; I’m looking forward to returning this year."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of May 2004

I found this hotel one of the best I hav...

Reviewed Mon 31st of May 2004

"I found this hotel one of the best I have stayed in, and the grand total of Spanish holidays I have taken, must exceed 25 by now. The rooms were spacious, very well furnished and decorated. Although the sun bed area around the two large swimming pools did get taken fairly early in the morning there was plenty of extra terraces to make sure everyone was catered for. Finally with regards to the hotel, I have saved the best until last, and that of course is the restaurant, and I must say this part of the hotel did score ten out of ten. The variety and presentation of this buffet style was outstanding, plus the staff coped extremely well, being courteous and efficient at all times, well done to them.

Playa Las Americas town I found to be very well cared for with something for everyone, in particular restaurants, bars and a Karaoke paradise for those budding stars wanting to show off their talents.

In conclusion, a thoroughly enjoyable holiday in a great hotel, in a place I would like to visit again."

Hotels near Iberostar Bouganville Playa