Vista general

Good
Good

HOTEL GALA HOTEL, TENERIFE DID NOT LIVE UP TO IT'S 4 STAR BILLING

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Being a news-a-holic I was worried about the TV after reading previous comments (re: lack of English language channels) but I was relieved to find English language news. Bizarrely my brother and I had adjoining rooms yet our TV channels were totally different. He for instance had CNN & BBC 24 whilst I had FRANCE 24 (English) & RUSSIA TODAY. Also, he had the full compliment of 20 TV channels whereas I had only 13 in total. Dinner is an experience - bad. Although the food is generally very good, in order to get a drink you have to wait for a waiter to attend your table. ALL people at the table in different rooms then have to tell him what they want AND hand him their room cards which he then swipes in a hand held machine. Sometimes this machine works and sometimes it doesn't - which dramatically lengthens the experience. Even with the machine working, one evening the drinks took 25 minutes to arrive. Even though all the drinks are ordered at the same time, we never had all the drinks arrive at the table at the same time. They just arrive in dribs and drabs! We did want to share the drinks tab with each of us taking it in turn each day to put the tab on our card, but they wouldn't allow that! No, we all had to offer up our room cards and pay our own bills! Another complaint I have with the drinks is that ice ice is not available. I have stayed nearby at the Gran Tinerfe which at that time was 'only' a 3 star hotel but ice-a-plenty was freely available to put in your drinks. I did acquire ice for my drinks at the Gala, but only by raiding the ice buckets that were set aside for people ordering champagne etc. I was the only person in the entire hotel who ended up doing this! The dining room is not big enough for the amount of guests as if you are not down to dinner promptly, you have to wait in line for a table to become available. Also, the hot (self) serving area needs to be bigger as long queue's inevitably arose, or people were elbowing each other aside to get to the trays of food. I won't exaggerate by saying 'most',, but certainly A LOT of the crockery at both breakfast and dinner was chipped and/or cracked which is most certainly NOT a 4 star experience. Some cutlery on a few occasions was filthy dirty. My Mother complained once about this to the staff who responded with a shrug! Occasionally we found a table big enough for the 6 in our party, but it had no condiments so we ended up nicking them from adjacent tables - thus leaving them without any. Again, not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. I paid €29.00 for 10 days of internet access having taken my Netbook, yet although my room was the very first room from reception I was unable to get a signal. The router is in reception and the only way to get online is to sit out there - crap of you've already got undressed ready for bed. My nightclothes went missing one morning, evidently 'scooped' up in the bed clothes by the maid, the maid having not checked first before changing the sheets. It took me 3 days of complaining until I got them back! Rooms with sea views are only partly sea views. They overlook the apartments opposite. You have to look left in order to get a partial ( I would estimate about a 90° vista) view of the sea. Non sea-view rooms have no view at all, just a bit of terrace, a hedge and a brick wall. Rooms are basic but clean. Our party of 6 occupied 4 rooms. 2 had locked fridges, 1 had a fridge with a broken lock and I had a fridge without a lock - but the fridge didn't work! This is the ONLY hotel I have ever stayed at where you had to PAY (€1.90 a day) for a sun-lounger cushion and a towel. These items in all previous hotels in all countries I have stayed in have always been free to guests. A minor quibble to some, bit a biggie to me as a non smoker, was that smoking was allowed poolside and I was frequently assaulted by these noxious fumes. This hotel was partly chosen for it's proximity to the sea front, as elderly parents who accompanied us wanted a short walk to the promenade. The short cut from hotel to the sea front is via MANY stairs - and NO lift!! My elderly parents and equally elderly Aunt & Uncle could not manage these stairs and had to resort to the main entrance - which itself is at the bottom of a steep drive and then a fairly steep hill down to/up from the promenade. So if you are elderly or infirm AVOID this hotel at all costs. In summary, this hotel is very definitely NOT in the 4 star category. At best it is high 2 or a low 3 star. Look around and you can get a much better hotel much cheaper than this. Having stayed there in the past, I can definitely recommend the Gran Tinerfe. It was a 3 star hotel when I stayed there but I see it has now become a 4 star. That said, most complaints about the Gala Hotel are relatively minor and if only management would get their act together and up their game then this hotel could easily become a 4 star experience (again?)."

• Travel date: 23rd December 2012

Complaint gala hotel

Reviewed 5th October 2012

"Have just returned from the gala hotel and was very disapointing looks very cruby on the outside front was given a dark and dowdy room in the basement im sure its because we were english most cliente was german or italion food the same every day you have to pay for your sun-beds no tea or coffee in rooms and also no english channels only news on the tv in the room the area was undesirable with youngsters with load music all night as we were 2 ladies didnt like been out in that area late at night so dont go their cant understand how its a 4star also if you wanted the spa a charge off 15euros very disapointed only good thing about this hotel was some off the staff were friendly if you could find the staff anywhere seem to disapear from dining room during meal times"

• Travel date: 4th October 2012

only a three star

Reviewed 9th April 2012

"hotel very good location for beach nightlife etc/room was cleaned every day however toilet has glass seethrough door /no english tv channels to watch news etc/breakfast selection good/evening salad bar good/main meals onlyluke warm at best had to use microwave not good enough for a 4 star hotel/swimming pools sun decks very good/ reception staff were the rudest most surly i have met/ overall good hotel but caters mainly for germans etc not for english"

• Travel date: 7th April 2012

Don't use this hotel if you like to see any English language TV

Reviewed 23rd March 2012

"I like to catch up with British news, sports etc in the afternoons when my wife takes her siesta. The only English language TV was Canadian business news. OK if you like looking at pie charts of how various share and currency prices have moved. I and several other UK holiday makers complained and the answer was that they had trouble with their sattelite. I also complained on the official Thomsons complaint form and never even received a reply. I doubt if anything has changed, so don't go there if you want to watch TV. Also, it's a bit in the middle, and too far to walk in the nights to the action in Costa Adeche, or Americas/Los Christianos. The hotel, food, facilities were OK, but we will never go there again. They are treating English speaking holiday makers with contempt. "

• Travel date: 23rd March 2012

Not 4 Star

Reviewed 2nd March 2012

"Large clean hotel catering for mainly German guests although there were quite a few Italians staying when we were there, very few Brits. The TV had lots of channels but only one, Eurosport,was in English with interviews and commercials in German! We paid for a superior room with a sea view but the view was very restricted and the north facing balcony got hardly any sun. Included in price for the superior room was use of the spa which was great especially on the day it rained, although some of the facilities were out of order. We found the food good in parts, the salad bar was excellent but the hot food wasn't very appetising. We mostly chose the continental breakfast as they haven't got the hang of cooking bacon properly yet! The staff in the dining room were OK in the main, the exception being the bar staff who were surly and unhelpful. Forget the entertainment which is aimed at the elderly or very young Germans who appear to like tripe. To sum up this hotel has seen better days although still quite pleasant, more of a 3* than a 4."

• Travel date: 1st March 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay - highly recommended! :)

Reviewed 20th February 2012

"My partner and myself had a very enjoyable holiday at the Gala Hotel, we loved it! The coach transfer (we travelled with Thomson), although we were the last drop-off, only took approx. 10 mins as the hotel is in the heart of Tenerife so the airport was not far. When we were there in June, there was road works at the front of the hotel and in some other parts of the island but this was never a problem - you will never find anywhere in this world that does not need work, etc. When we arrived at the hotel (which was around 1am) we were the only couple and so we checked in and got to our room within 5 minutes. We had read reviews on here that the hotel is a rip off and there is loads of hidden costs, but there is not. There is a few additional costs but if you know about them, you will be fine - which I will cover later. When we got to our room, we were in total disbelief - it was GORGEOUS! We loved every aspect of the place. One of the drawers in the wardobe was broken but this was not problem as it was still useable. The air conditioning was good and we had that on every night as it was absolutely boiling. When we first arrived we asked about the safe and it was 2E a night - we were there for 7 nights fo it came to 16E for the week but I think they gave us discount because we were only charged 12E. Obviously you have to use the safe as it validates your insurance. You cannot expect this to be free. The water that the hotel provide in your room is charged at 3E, however, turn left when you get out of the hotel down to the top of the road and you will find a corner shop open 24/7 which sells huge bottles of water for around 70c. The minibar in the room also requires payment to keep the water cool but we never bothered with this. Alot of people think that because you have paid to stay in the hotel that you get all of the facilities free but this was not the case but it didnt bother us. We were staying at the back of the hotel and so it had nice views and although you could hear the music from the clubs on a night time if you had the balcony doors open, you cannot hear anything when the balcony doors are closed as there are double doors. This hotel is a lot nicer than most of the hotels we passed in Tenerife. The pool is lovely - there are sunbeds, however, you have to pay for a matress for the day at around 2E. We didnt bother with this, we just put towels on the sunbeds, this was never a problem. The food was not really catered for the British, but you do not go on holiday to eat British food, you go on holiday to try out lots of different things and so we loved the idea of varied food. We were on full-board - the breakfast was lovely, but we only had this twice during our stay when we woke up very early to go on day trips to Siam Park and Loro Parque, etc. Dinner was varied and really enjoyable. There was not a large selection of choice but you will find out what you like. Towards the end of the week, we were getting quite bored with the midday meal. During the evening they put on BBQs which was very nice. You could sit outside but there was only a few tables in which you could sit at outside as the waiters would not let you sit in some outdoor areas. The waiters are not very friendly or smiley - they just come over, ask for your room card, ask if you would like any drinks, etc, then just go. We only got drinks a few times as they do add up on your bill. One time we ordered a drink and the waiter took around 20minutes to bring it to us. You can pay off your bill whenever you like. We paid ours off through half of our stay and they issued us with a "receipt". We did not realise it was a "receipt" and we threw it away. We then went and paid off more a few nights later and we discovered they had charged us for 7 meals which came to well over 100E. They receptionist thought we were on half-board but when he got our documents he discovered we were full-board and took the meals off our bill. It then came to 30E instead, which we paid off there and then. The night before our departure we had a few drinks in the resaurant and after, we decided to go and pay off the rest of our bill, which to our surprise was still 30E. We asked the receptionist and they said we had not paid it off and we had thrown away our "receipt" which is not really a receipt because it does not prove you have paid anything, it just states what is on your bill. So, we had to wait until the next day, which was our departure date, to speak to the receptionist who had taken the money for our bill but had not taken it off. He never showed up, but the woman receptionist said she believed us and she simply cleared our bill :) Also, I would like to mention that the cleaner came around every day around the same time. She would just simply take the dirty towels that were left in the bath and straighten up our bed sheets. The spa, which is 15E per person is VERY worth it. I would highly recommend visiting - it is so fun testing all of the showers and going in the giganic jacuzzi, etc. We went once but we wanted to go again but simply did not have the time. The hotel is in the heart of the island. It is very central to all of the bars, clubs and restaurants. If you turn right out of the hotel you will find yourself on Veronica's Strip. This is where all the bars and clubs are. There are a lot of PR's and you do get hassled a lot. I found it hilarious that in one night we would be stopped around 50 times but obviously that has nothing to do with the hotel. The PR's do give you good deals, for example - for 5E each you get a jug, 5 shots and a bottle of wine. I would highly recommend you going to Mett Bar - this is the place for HipHop and R&B. Loved it! Vivo is also good for mini golf. There is a strip club called String Fellows which also has PR's but we did not go lol. Do not go down the beach at night as there is Moroccon's that go there and if you speak to the locals you will find out why this is not a good idea. There is a little English cafe if you turn left when you come out of the hotel, follow the road up and turn left again. The owners are very lovely but do not stop speaking to you lol. As we were with Thomson, our rep (Keiran) came round twice or three times. He told us in the "meeting" that he is only supposed to come round once but he comes round more, out of his personal time, which I thought was nice. This is the time where you will pay for all of the expiditons you want to do. We paid for the Siam Park and Loro Parque pack meaning it was 75E per person for both of the days out. If you didnt get this pack it is 50E for a trip to Loro Parque - which is HIGHLY recommended, and 30E for a trip to Siam Park. As we went a second time to Siam Park, it was only 16E per person which we paid for at the park. Hope this helps :) "

• Travel date: 18th February 2012

the hotel can not be faulted in any way....

Reviewed 14th July 2008

"the hotel can not be faulted in any way. we found the staff very helpful and pleasant, clean rooms, and food plentiful. would not hesitate in going back to them. the fault lies with the scratch card dealers who can make holiday folk unhappy by thier pestering. that would be the only reason for me in not returning to tenerife. although i love the island and have visited many times"

• Travel date: 14th July 2008

Most of the rooms in this hotel seem to ...

Reviewed 25th March 2007

"Most of the rooms in this hotel seem to face north; unfortunately we like to sit in the sun on our balcony. We also paid extra for a sea view, what we got was more of a sea glimpse. At present the roads adjacent to the hotel are dug up to make them semi-pedestrianised, the area looks like the Somme. They seemed to be trying with the food but we are not sophisticated enough to appreciate chicken in a rich chocolate sauce or sugar on the grilled tomatoes. Also many of the dishes were not kept hot. There are very few British guests at the Gala. We chose this hotel because of positive reports and it grieves me to be so negative: the only good thing I can think of are the sunbeds which are good and plentiful. However you have to pay for mattress and towels. "

• Travel date: 25th March 2007

Not recommended

Reviewed 3rd December 2012

"We chose this hotel because of generally positive comments but this hotel can't be recommended for most British visitors.The problems were: The food - you had the feeling they tried but many of the dishes were strange (e.g. chicken in a rich chocolate sauce) or not kept hot. The rooms - most of them seem to face north and although we paid extra for a sea view you really needed to be a giraffe. Try asking for a pool view instead, this should give a better view of the sea as well. The clientel - nothing wrong with our continental cousins but many people like to hear the occasional British voice, there are very few Brits at this hotel. The area - actually its very centrally located for las Americas and about 200 yards from sea but the surrounding roads are dug up for modernisationand getting around is tricky for less mobile visitors. Not the fault of the hotel though. On the positive side the sun beds are good and plentiful, however you pay daily for mattress and towels. Overall, very disappointing I couldn't rate it Okay so the only other option was Terrible."

• Travel date: 25th March 2007

worst place i have stayed

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"went here for christmas 2006 have been to tenerife many times but this was not good. the staff were rude even to the children it is a german hotel and they only catered for the germans the pool towels are not free and we were charged for a lunch time meals on the day we arrived and we didn get there til 8 at night so please please check you bill would not go back they ever again it spolit our christmas there was ten of us so they were not happy when we wanted a table for ten every night going to the island for easter but going back where we like island village"

• Travel date: 7th March 2007

Brill Time at GAla

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"We arrived at the Gala Hotel by Taxi and found a spotlessly clean reception area. We checked in and the concierge recommended we head straight to dinner as the restaurant was closing soon, we were meant to be there earlier but the flight had been delayed. This was good service from the reception staff as soon as we arrived and to be honest this level of service was maintained. Room: Our room was spacious and consisted of 2 single beds and a fold bed for our son. The bathroom was spacious to with plenty of toiletries, large bath, bide and loo. Room and bathroom were very clean. Pool Area: There are 3 pools in the Gala, 2 adult pools and one toddler’s pool. One of the adult pools was heated which made a big difference as the unheated one was like the artic ocean! A waiter would appear periodically with a drinks trolley and do a tour of the pool. Beside the pool is also a bar/snack bar serving drinks and fairly good quality lunches, there was also a buffet lunch available for 14 euro. Restaurant: Meals are served 0700 - 1030 and 1830 - 2130. Breakfast consisted of a contental buffet also sausages (German) bacon, eggs, toast, breads etc. There was plenty of choice and you can find lots for breakfast. Evening dinner was also served buffet style; each night had a theme, French, Chinese, Canarian, Arabic, and German. I personally enjoyed the food, but if you are a square eater and don't like to be adventurous you'll not find much variation. Entertainment: Firstly there are 3 free internet points to access your emails and check flights home etc, there are 3 playstation 2's for the kids, and also a large TV with a DVD on every night for the kids such as Madagascar. The Hotel Entertainers were both easy going fun Spaniards, great way with the kids and a good sense of Humor. In the evenings there was a mini disco for the children at 730pm, there was also jewelry stalls set up and other items for sale each evening. At around 9pm the main show was on, every night a different show, acrobats, a very funny Charlie Chaplin, flamenco dancing, live band etc. In the day time there was bowls (French Style on Gravel), air rifle contest, children’s club, water aerobics, fashion shows, sub aqua diving, shuffle board and few others I can’t recall. The hotel is well situated about 5 mins walk to the beach and at night was very quiet with no lager louts. I would say the average age in Feb was about 65, and there was only about 4 British Families there, but everyone was very friendly, lots of Germans Italians and Swedish. I definitely will visit the Gala again, great value great hotel top marks!"

• Travel date: 3rd March 2007

I have read some reviews on this hotel a...

Reviewed 24th February 2007

"I have read some reviews on this hotel and think that I must have been staying in a different world! This place was superb! The food was fantastic. If you cannot find something to eat at night then you must have strange eatimh habits. If you can afford it, then get the twin superior rooms. Included in this package is a free mini bar, bath robes, sea and pool view (the cheaper rooms seem to face a wall), and free pool towel and sun bed pads. Evening entertainment is the usual nonsense, but then after you have had dinner it was nice to take a walk. All the hotels seem to have the same entertainment. So what's new!! If you like news channels then you'll be happy. There is Sky News, CNN, and Eurosport. If you’re English then that’s it! We want to go back again next year. Can't wait!"

• Travel date: 24th February 2007

Hotels near Hotel Gala

Top traveller tips for Hotel Gala

• by devilishlygood

"Don't expect a great dining experience, then you won't be disappointed."

• by gripo08

"Take your own computer"

• by Rokerender

"upgrade to superior room to get to use the spa daily"

• by chloesmith

"Turn left out the hotel for a nice walk, turn right out the hotel for the beach and Veronicas Strip :)"

Hotel Gala is also called