A superb vacation to Tenerife, Hotel Conquistador

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Vacation period: 27.07.2006 - 02.08.2006
A great hotel in Las Americas. After reading reviews on internet , me and my girlfriend almost wanted to cancel our staying in Conquistador. But luckly we didn't. Is a great hotel. First i arrived i was impressed of the location of this hotel (20 m from the ocean) - could be a lot worst location. The only minus is the beach. The nearst sand beach is at 10 min of walking, but the view of the beach in front of the hotel is impresive (untouched, with vulcanic rocks, and surfers looking for waves every day is a cool panorama) .
So. About the Hotel. As i said the location is great. The staff is ok. We recived our room imdiatly we arrived (11:00), altough the checkin was normaly at 13:00. The pool of the hotel is excelent (there are three pools outdoor). The food is very good, and a lot. From caviar, seafood, to grilled steak, fruits, etc. The rooms are prety large, clean, the view excelent. Yes, you have to pay around 2.5 euro for the safe box in the room, there were some working done in the piano bar area, there were around 800 people to be served (i think) every day and they should have more people in serving - so if you want to complain about something, you can find stuff (is a 4 star hotel). But i loved my staying there.

Overall is a very good choice if you want to go in Tenerife.

Recomandations: try
Tony Roma's restaurant near the hotel (amercan food) ,
Royal Delphin - ocean safari - you will sea delphins and whales in ocean, you'll get to sweam in ocean - great experience
Loro Park - great
Puerto de la Cruz (city near Loro Park. don't miss it)
Playa del Duke (best beach in tenerife - a little expensive)
Don't miss the bars at night.

Back to work now : ( Bye!"

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

Fantastic Hotel!!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"My husband and I booked this vacation at the last minute, not knowing what to expect...especially after reading some of the negative reviews. We booked through L'Tur, which is a wonderful travel agency. Everything was perfect for the entire trip. Our room was a Jr Suite (don't know how we rate!), and was just beautiful overlooking the ocean. The food was so good and fresh. Seafood, salads, meats, cheeses....whatever your heart desires. But the best was the pool...so beautiful. The water temp was perfect, along with the pool bar on the island. The staff were VERY helpful, and always smiling. The nightly entertainment was also top notch. We were surprised to see that they set up a large screen TV in the bar for those of us that wanted to watch the world cup soccer matches. (Disappointed in the outcome, but can't blame the hotel for that!) The L'Tur representative was there on the days scheduled, also very pleasant and easy to deal with. I WAS very surprised to hear everyone in the hotel speak ENGLISH!! That was nice. We booked an excursion on a catamaran to see the dolphins and whales. We were very pleased. Most of the beaches are rocky and dangerous for swimming, but I should mention that there is a sandy beach about 5 minute walk from the hotel.Overall, this hotel is one of the best. We loved it and hope you will too!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of July 2006

what hotel did these people go to???

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"This hotel was superb.
The staff were fantastic, the rooms clean and well cared for, the entertainment was varied and always interesting and the food was out of this world.

i would recommened this hotel to anyone planning a holiday in Las Americas. Its only a short walk from the night life, but still far enough to be in peace and quiet."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of June 2006

Tired Hotel - Needs some TLC

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We stayed at the Conquistador for the first time in Feb 2006, having never stayed there before obviously not sure as to what it used to be like. Compared with other hotels we have stayed in I would say that this hotel does need some money spending on it pretty quickly, otherwise it will lose its 4 star rating. The rooms although very clean were very small and totally inadeqate storage space for two peoples clothes.
Pool area was okay but as with all these hotels getting sunbeds was a major problem as some of the guests must have got up at 7.00pm to leave their towels. I only went in the pool once but did think that it was not as clean as it should have been - therefore never went in again, was also surprised that you have to pay for your sunbed loungers and towels.
We though the food was average, there was plenty of choice although dinner in the evening was lacking in vegetables, depending on when you went down for dinner depended on how hot your food was as they were cooking a lot of the meat, fish etc whilst you waited. Breakfast was okay to, it was always very busy in the restaurant and it did feel a bit like a canteen, but the restaurant staff were quite pleasant and generally quick to serve you with drinks etc.

Overall the hotel was average, I personally would not go back there, as I do prefer a more upmarket hotel, compared with some that we have stayed at it comes very low in the ranking."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of February 2006

Very poor food, small rooms - Friendly staff and good location

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 1 week over Christmas with a 1.5 year old child.
The location of the hotel is great. Our room was small, and we did see a couple of small cockroaches in the bathroom. The rooms had tired decor, and the TV broke down twice. It took 5 calls to reception for someone to fix it properly. The maid service was excellent. Staff generally are very nice and friendly

On to the food...... We went half board. The breakfast was OK. Lots of choice. Coffee is out of a machine, and everything is self service. There were a few problems with toasters breaking down, a water leak in the hotel stopping tea/coffee machines, and other mishaps.
Dinner in the evening was very poor. There was lots of choice, but everything was either poor quality, looked as though it had sat around for a while, or bland.
To top this I had food poisoning from dinner, which took me out for two days. Really quite awful. My mum also got food poisoning, so it wasn't a single incident. We reported this to our rep.
A plus point was that they were very good with our son, and filled up his nightly milk bottle without a fuss.

It was difficult finding a spot around the pool.

This hotel could be so good. It feels as though they are taking money out of it. There seems to be a lack of financial investment.

If you get a cheap deal B&B I'd take it and stay here because of the location. I would never eat dinner there again!

I've given two stars because it was very poor value for money, and food poisoning is serious stuff!"

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

Superb Hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"A very enjoyable 1 week stay. Rooms, food and service all excellent. Those who have left adverse comments Must have gone to another Hotel. The only drawback was that the main pool was closed for repairs, however the spa facility was great. Highly recomended."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of January 2006

Dont go there

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Went for Xmas and New Year. Hotel very tired once you get past Reception area. Dining room antique as was most of the food. Pool area tatty and lots of broken tiles in and around main pool, which was closed off on Jan 7th due to leakage ?? Rooms cold and draughty although very clean.

Xmas buffet dinner poor. No turkey etc but show and fireworks super.
NY Eve dinner excellent with free bubbly and wine but disappointing afterwards.
Better to go B&B and eat out in town at Slow Boat and Harry's bar
The Soul Suite is a must (near Harry's bar)"

• Travel date: Wed 11th of January 2006

Fantastic hotel! The staff are very frie...

Reviewed Tue 20th of December 2005

"Fantastic hotel! The staff are very friendly and helpful. The Christmas show is amazing and the atmosphere at new year is great!! e go every year, Great hotel for anyone!!

The food is delicious and the pool area is just right, enough trees for the people who like shade and plenty of space for the sun lovers! Who cares if the shows are slightly late, they try there best!!"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of December 2005

An Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Everything about this hotel is fantastic!

Looking at the reviews, its like marmite, you love it or hate it!

The christmas nativity is just magical and the atmosphere at new year is brill.

One of the best hotels in tenerife!!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

The hotel Conquistador is a 4 star hotel...

Reviewed Sat 17th of December 2005

"The hotel Conquistador is a 4 star hotel that is situated in a nice area of the resort that is just far enough from the noise of the Veronicas.

We have been to this hotel many times and it does seem to have a large number of other returning guests. In recent years standards do appear to have fallen and this is most apparent in the dining room where it is sometimes impossible to find a table.

The hotel does have its own entertainment programme although in the evening it never ever starts at the scheduled time."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of December 2005

brilliant location

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We have just returned from a week at this hotel. having stayed many times we find the location excellent. I am disabled and need a wheelchair to go any distance therefore the easy access to both Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos makes it an ideal place for exploring. However, this visit was marred by the poor food, hot food was cold and often undercooked. There is no longer Cava for breakfast every day, there is a delivery of food on a Tuesday so by the weekend there is little choice. To run out of bananas in the Canary Islands is unacceptable. Yes there are cockroaches to be found in the rooms but for the price we paid I do not feel we were ripped off. Be prepared to stand your ground as the staff will do anything for the Germans!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of December 2005

We have just returned from this hotel af...

Reviewed Thu 30th of September 2004

"We have just returned from this hotel after a twelve day half board, stay which my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed.

The room was a bit on the small side but adequate and the air con worked well. It was cleaned every day, with towels and toiletries topped up / changed every day and sheets/pillow cases every three days.

The food was superb- everything from champagne and caviar to cereal and fry-up for breakfast and carvery to salad and Canarian food for the evening meal with fresh food always available, as a diabetic person I had no problems at all finding something to suit.

When we needed help or made any enquiries the staff "bent over backwards" to help us. Both my friend and I are due to have knee operations and would not hesitate to recommend this

Hotel to anyone with walking difficulties or using a wheelchair, (they even have some motorised scooters kept within the hotel which you can hire to get around the resort)."

• Travel date: Thu 30th of September 2004