About Gran Oasis Resort

• microwave
  • self serve laundry
  • rooftop terrace
  • heated pool
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • kids club
  • golf course

Holiday Hell

Reviewed Tue 10th of September 2013

"We booked to go away on holiday as a couple in the summer and we decided on the Gran Oasis Resort, Tenerife. From the brochures and the booking agent we were expecting a fantastic holiday, however we were wrong. There were so many issues with our holiday.

Accommodation
The apartment had a small insect problem which even after reporting the issue to our holiday rep, it was not rectified as she was than helpful in sorting this out and the insects kept returning even after spraying them with some insect spray we found; we were not even offered an alternative room.
The bed was not a double bed, however just 2 single beds pushed together so therefore we kept falling down the middle, this was rectified after reporting to the hotel who tie wrapped them together.
The taps in our bathroom were rusty.

Food
The food and drink was less than edible:
Breakfast - sausages were pink, bacon hard and chewy, the juice was not fresh, the butter was frozen and the bread was stale and the fruit was mainly tinned.
Lunch/Dinner – The hotel was advertised to have themed food nights, however there was little or no difference in the themed food.
Overall the food was of a poor quality with a lack of imagination. The food was so terrible we were forced to eat out. In addition to this we even went for breakfast, lunch and dinner early to ensure that food would be fresh. However still same result of poor quality food.

Drink
The beer and wine tasted watered down and bitter.
Drinks were not available in all areas of the hotel resort; however the menu remained the same.

All-inclusive
The all-inclusive was not all-inclusive as only limited beverages could be consumed under the all-inclusive. For example, only certain drinks and food, snacks and ice-cream were available to all-inclusive without an additional fee. There was no control over the bar areas, considering self-catering guests were helping themselves to drink and food, thus making the all-inclusive we paid feel pointless.

Service
Only very little English was spoken by staff even though the majority of guests at the resort were British
Cueing for drinks at the bar seemed irrelevant as staff were sexist and served women first regardless of people waiting to served next.

Facilities
The pool areas could not be accessed because they were too busy and the hotel resort rules were not enforced. The hotel was meant to have a dedicated adult pool, however all of the pools were constantly over crowded with kids and reserving sun beds was stated as forbidden however this was not enforced either.
The entertainment was mainly designed for kids including the late night entertainment. There were no adult only areas or designated times.
The entertainment was very misleading and also very unprofessional.
The floors around the resort were very slippy allowing for an easy slip or fall and the surfaces such as tables and chairs were very sticky as if they had not been cleaned.

Location
The Gran Oasis Resort is advertised as Las Americas, however it is closer situated to Los Cristianos.

Overall the holiday was terrible and we would never wish to return. The Gran Oasis Resort is advertised as a 4* establishment, however it appeared to be less than 1*. We hated our time at the Gran Oasis Resort and could not wait to return home.

Complaint
After getting back from our holiday we put in several complaints with first choice travel who were less than helpful and it appeared they didn’t even read and consider our complaints considering the replies we eventually got after chasing up were short and also in some instances inaccurate regarding our complaints. For a company to be so reputable and recognised I would have expected more. We feel that in the complaints process they were less than inconsiderate when approaching our complaints.

Please read my review carefully, as I do not wish someone else to have their holiday ruined like us.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of August 2013

Spend your hard earned cash somewhere else

Reviewed Tue 11th of September 2012

"Having read through other reviews we too decided on this holiday for us and our six children.

I won’t repeat what everyone has already said in the previous reviews as they were pretty much a reflection of the hotel (the good AND the bad reviews). Of course remembering reviews are dependent on what type of person you are and personal taste/level of expectation for value of your hard earned money.

It’s worth mentioning, the Thomson rep Sarah was extremely helpful during our stay sorting out problems with the rooms.

During the two weeks the main pool was closed for seven hours as to everyone’s horror the lifeguard said “a child had a poo in it and it takes 7 hours for the water to filter clean”. The same thing happened the very next day and everyone was mortified once again. That evening our daughter became unwell with severe diarrhoea. These things do happen on holiday and with six kids we were well pre prepared with meds. We continued to treat her with meds and hydrated her for the rest of her holiday. Safe to say her long awaited holiday was ruined. Not to mention ours and the rest of the kids worrying about her. On return to the UK, the very next day she went to the GP as she was still not well.

To our horror and disgust, we were told that she had contracted Salmonella, either via undercooked meat, eggs, chicken or contaminated water. She had to be treated with a strong dose of anti-biotic. When we told the children the eldest told us that he had seen undercooked meat at lunchtime at the top pool bar but had not said anything and had avoided eating it.

We reported contracting Salmonella immediately to Firstchoice whom we had booked our holiday with as we wanted to alert the hotel as we knew how serious Salmonella is especially as it is a family hotel and there were so many babies/toddlers there. We have since written a letter of complaint to Thomson regarding the hotel. We have also emailed the hotel manager directly to the hotel website several times asking for a proper email address to contact him regarding a serious health complaint. We have not had a reply from either to date. We even pre warned him we would be posting our comments on Tripadvisor etc if we did not hear back.

I can understand to an extent Thomson taking their time replying as I am sure they have thousands of complaints, but the hotel manager?? Totally unacceptable and irresponsible behaviour towards public health and paying guests.

The “stalls” that appeared at the hotel during our stay were a rip off. The watch broke, the belly ring was not stainless steel as guaranteed (went green in a week!) and the two dresses I purchased for 30 euro were 9 euro each in a market. The stallholder on the watch stall did not want to refund the broken watch and called another dissatisfied customer “ poor white trash” when they tried to do the same. Concerns were reported to reception…….

I would not go there again. I would not recommend it for the above reasons. Read all the reviews like we did, and make up your own mind about this place. If you want to spend your hard earned wages with a hotel that doesn’t take health complaints seriously that’s up to you. We will continue to pursue with our complaint.

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2012

Not what it says on the tin !

Reviewed Mon 8th of August 2011

"I have just arrived home after spending 7 nights, well 6 when you take into account the flight times and believe me, I will not be going ther again.

On first view, you feel you have really got lucky and are about to stay in a presentable, clean and quite classy hotel......scratch the surface and that is not the case !

Now for those of you out there who think "Here we go, another person who just wants to whinge", trust me my family and I are easily pleased, but when we have saved up for months, for a weeks holiday in the sun, I want more than we got.

The entrance to the apartment is an accident waiting to happen.....come in from a night of merryment and you could end up falling down the treacherous stairs, that are marble and hit you, the second you walk in the door. I had to tell my sons, every time we entered the apartment to be careful.

There was no air conditioning and as you can imagine, the rooms got extremely HOT ! The double bed was two single pushed into one bed and my sons two single beds, were two put me up beds, that were stored in a cupboard....once these were up at night (in the lounge area) you COULD NOT move in the upper area or get to the balcony. Their beds were very umcomfortable and the cleaners moved these daily, so be prepared to get these set up every night.

There was a safety deposit box in the room, however these are disabled and you have to use the ones in reception, so every time you need something you need to go to reception to do this....not major, but inconvenient.

If anyone in your party, is disabled in any way, make sure you stipulate this on your booking as we were quite high up in the complex and it can be quite tough to climb especially in the heat.

Loungers at the pool are so old and uncomfy, I have come back with quite a sore back, oh and make sure you set your alarm clock for 6am, because if you don't hot foot it to the pool with your towels at that time, you have no chance of getting a lounger....PATHETIC ! Why they don't issue each apartment with codes for loungers is beyond me ?? I don't like getting up early, on holiday, I do that enough 50 weeks of the year when getting up for work.

They say they have a kids club....well hardly ! Apart from a quick annoying tannoy each morning you never see the reps. I have been to places where the reps are very visible and children therefore become confident in the reps company, that way they get the buy in fron the kids and the kida want to spend time with the reps. The Gran Oasis has so much scope to get this part right, but it doesn't.

Want an ice-cream throught the day ? Make sure you don't want this between 1pm and 4pm as the on site Supermarket closes between this time, now I believe you can get these from the bar, if you are all inclusive, but we didn't have this facility as we went self catering.

In short, very basic and not to the standard advertised, however all staff very friendly (reps need to be more so)

• Travel date: Fri 5th of August 2011

Lovely hotel,not sure if i'de go back :O(

Reviewed Tue 26th of July 2011

"Myself,husband,15 year old son and 8 year old daughter have just arrived back home today.
We arrived at the hotel at about 1pm i found the reception very hustle and bustle,the monkeys dancing amused my little girl who then learnt they get played only when people arrive.The receptionist was lovely helped us pointed us in the right direction to our room.

When we opened our room door we saw quite steep steps to our left (not suitable for under 5 defo) down stairs was our bedroom, twin beds and a pull out. We were told 4th bed in cupboard in room upstairs couldnt find but had a new one delivered asap.
My son is 6ft and to be honest a pull down bed just over 5ft wasn't much good so i ended up on that (so uncomftable) he had my bed.
upstairs room with kitchen lovely balcony lovely artificial grass on it so was lovely.

3 pools 1st baby pool 6ft/6ft beds rammed all around not enough room by far.
2nd pool salt pool little tiny bit for children who cant swim rest 1.40 so if you can't swim you have a tiny little area to play in.
3rd pool 1.40/1.50m so no good at all o anyone who can't swim again. My daughter filled in her own questionaire and she said in it no good for children who can't swim.

If you are not at the beds to reserve them by 7am you will not get one, i learnt by day 3 7am up towels on beds. There are way not enough room for bathers and we left the day the school brike up so don't know what it will be like now.

Food breakfast/lovely dinner/ok tea time/no variety really what was there was lovely but when you go away you want loads to choose from really desert was the same every night tbh just dif flavours.

Night time entertainment abs mad set out,kids disco starts at 8pm so you must be up at the outdoor space to get a table at least 3/4 hour before or you wont get one,200 rooms 4/5 per room 800 plus people 100 maybe seats not really any good my little girl by day 4 said whats the point to go down mum we wont get a seat.
Plastic glasses everywhere apart from the restaurant which mmm sometimes you don't want.

I would recomend this hotel as b&b or self catering as you will go out in the day and eve, no good if you have any disability walking,getting around,etc and you are on a hill so not a plus side for you either,there is a free shuttle bus but yesterday it was full and he left half queue there said sorry full.

I loved teneriff but a different hotel next time i think if i am allinclusive.

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2011

Fantastic Hotel, very helpful staff!!

Reviewed Thu 10th of February 2011

"We've just got back from The Oasis Golf and had an excellent time.
On arrive our first thoughts were Wow what a lovely hotel,
We checked in & went to our room, which was absolute stunning; only down fall was it was at the top of the resort which ment we had to climb alot of steps which wouldnt have been a problem but my mum who was with us has Heart problems.

I went straight to reception and explained about my mums problems.

The staff couldn’t have been more helpful; they totally understood & moved us to the bottom by all facilities.
The grounds around the apartments are lovely gardens and well maintained with nice play areas for small children everything is modern, spacious, welcoming, relaxing etc,
We stayed on an all inclusive basis and must say it was money well spent.
The evening meals were very nice with a
Nice selection of meals to choose from Daily.

The Hotel is away from everything, but it takes about 15mins to walk in to Los Cristianos or Playa De Las Americas as it on edge of both. Which is a lovely walk down, but not back as very hilly.A taxi ride back was only about 5 euros. fab market on a sunday at Los Cristianos.
We did do the lora parque trip which took 2 hrs, but was well worth the journey.
We will be returning to this hotel, didnt want to leave. "

• Travel date: Sun 6th of February 2011

Don't go here!

Reviewed Thu 6th of January 2011

"Our worst holiday ever.

Would not recommend this hotel. We unfortunately had to complain every day, it appears they had so many complaints that they didn't know where to start, some were getting bottles of champagne because of their troublesit was so bad. Think the final thing for us was the cockroaches in our room, which the hotel said didn't exist we can assure you they definately did we have photographic evidence. We endured ants, dirty room and dirty towels and bed linen which both the hotel and First Choice didn't want to acknowledge or deal with. We just wanted to come home on day 3, so would only say, just don't go here there must be much better accomodation than this."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2011

Ab Fab!!!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Having had the resort recommended by my wife's parents, 15 people (including my inlaws, so spanning 3 generations) spent 14 nights at this BRILLIANT resort. 7 of our night were as a result of the disruption due to the volcanic eruption.

During the "stress free" first week we all had a great time. Nice, comfortable apartment style rooms, good selection of food (we stayed All Inclusive), frienly helpful staff, great pools. In fact the Reception staff, the Animacion team, the Catering staff, the Restaurant staff and the Bar staff were ALL wonderful. It was everything we wanted from a holiday. Then, during our extended stay (the stressful week), the hotel and staff could not do enough for us and helped reduce the strees associated with the disruption we experienced. We had to pay for our extra nights (hopefully our carrier will reimburse us ???) but the hotel did not exploit the situation and the rates they gave us were very reasonable.

We met some wonderful people during our stay and the spirit of all the guests during the delays to flights was great. We hope all we met eventually got home safely. We wish to meet some of them again either back at home or when we visit this superb resort next year. This is now one of my favourite places to stay, and we have an annual holiday to the Caribbean!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of May 2010

A Lovely Stay For Anyone

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We were very nervous about staying here after reading some dodgy reviews, but thankfully, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were very helpful and smiley. There are themed nights at the restaurant 3/4 times a week, including BBQ & Italian. Being a fussy eater, I stuck to salads all week, but there were always plenty varieties of meats and cheeses available to make it more interesting. My boyfriend, the open minded one, got stuck into everything and thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was ideal. A nice kitchen, balcony, big bedroom, on suite. Cleaned everyday with fresh towels and sheets. The pool was clean with plenty of beds. Daily activities like water polo or aqua aerobics and if you're there at the right time, you may get to sample the fruit the staff hand out while you're sunbathing. There's something on every night. A kids disco followed by a variety of entertainment e.g. Snake shows, Quizzes, Cabarets etc. The bar is open all day until midnight, with plenty of choice. The beach and the nightlife is a short cab ride away (about 15 euros).
Overall, we were looking for a nice couples getaway, and got exactly what we wanted. There were plenty of families with children who seemed to be having an equally wonderful time."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of April 2010

Beautiful complex.

Reviewed Wed 14th of April 2010

"We visited the Oasis Golf Resort in summer 2009. The weather was lovely, clear blue skies every day and averaged 8 hours sun bathing time a day!! Bliss!!
The complex was very nice, clean and well furnished. The apartments are duplex so be warned of staircase in apartment if you have young children.
The staff were very friendly and there was always activities for the children to join in with through the day.
The grounds around the apartments are lovely gardens and well maintained with nice play areas for small children.

We stayed on an all inclusive basis and must say it was money well spent. The evening meals were very nice with a
nice selection of meals to choose from the buffet.
The evening entertainment was ok, sometimes a little shambolic with not enough chairs and tables in bar area.
Often by the time the entertainment got organised it was time for our children to go to bed.( Often later than 10.30pm)
There is not much directly outside the complex so be prepared to venture just a short journey down the hill into las americas, however we just wanted peace and quiet and that's exactly what we got. Very nice and would return there again."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of April 2010

lovely complex friendly staff lovely holiday

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"just got back from 5 days at this complex had a lovely time. gonna book for the new year break. the complex is away from the main town but with young children that was fine. taxis always outside 5 euros into town if needed. we went all inclusive the food was non-stop from breakfast, fruit by the pool, toastie sandwiches, lunch, afternoon cakes icecream and then evening meal. we did go into town one teatime/evening for dinner just for a change and also to see the town and beach. we stayed in a one bedroom apartment which had a downstairs to it with the main bedroom and bathroom and upstairs with the kitchen and sitting area and had two put me up beds there. (this wasnt a problem) and two lovely balconies was very clean (no ants). cleaner had 1 day off and was in every day apart from that .man always cleaning outside the paths and watering all the lovely plants and flowers. lovely clean pools lots of sunbeds (watch out for the early towel people)! we always went to the pool around 10am and always got sunbeds. evening entertainment was ok kids were more interested in the games room! dont think this would be ok for disabled people lots of steps to other apartments on the hilly part. i would recommend to ask for apartments by the pool when booking. all in all had a good rest and are booking our next stay here. met some lovely people and so did the children. there was a great water park 5 minutes in cab way and also a zoo/sea life park about hour away we didnt visit but people had said they were really good. staff were very helpful safe deposit box by reception."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of April 2010

Excellent staff and restaurant food.

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Have just returned from 1 week at this hotel, read reviews before going so was a bit worried about how we would get on! Yes it is about 1/2 hr walk from playa de las americas but this is all downhill or flat on the way down back up is a bit different!! There are alot of steps in the hotel but there are ramps all around as well. The food is excellent in this hotel, at first you think the food area is small but the chefs are bringing fresh food out all the time. They quite often cook food while u wait as well.
There was 1 heated pool but this got quite busy as the big pool was very cold. The rooms were big but could do with some maintenance and updating. All in all a good holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of February 2010

What a disaster holiday...

Reviewed Wed 13th of January 2010

"We went to The Oasis Golf Resort, Tenerife (first time abroad) in June 2009 with Thomas Cook. This hotel was actually recommended by the company because it was close to ammenities, good food and excellent entertainment....sounds brilliant, eh? Read on...

When we arrived at the airport, there was a Thomas Cook Rep waiting for us (good start). She took us to the bus that would be transferring us to the hotel but then announced that she wouldnt actually be on the bus and left with one driver that couldnt speak a word of english...helpful considering we didnt actually speak any spanish and had no clue where we were going. We arrived at the hotel and we were just dumped in the middle of the carpark with 2 hotels in the same area.

When we we arrived, first impressions of the hotel were excellent. We were greeted by the hotel staff and told where our room was. The accomodation was in excellent condition (very clean).

We were told by Thomas Cook that there would be a safe in each room, truth was.. there was a safe but we weren't allowed to use it as apparently theft had occured from these in previous months. So therefore, we had to pay 30 Euros for a safe down in the reception area...annoying if you only want a small amount of money for the day.

Around 2 days into our holiday once we started exploring a little bit, we found out that we were in fact at least 2 miles away from any ammenities such as beach and shops. The hotel did however provide a free bus service but it was the fact that we had been lied to about being near everything.

Now for the food...
This was disgraceful.. We went all inclusive for 2 weeks so we felt that we should stay at the hotel for meals. After a week the menu is repeated. In the mornings there was a good choice of food such as fry ups, omlettes, yoghurt, cereal etc but this was the same everyday.

On one occassion, we were about to have a fry up and spotted a yummy fly munching away at the scrambled egg...lovely! On a Thursday night, was a themed Gala Night. We were given a glass of champagne on entry which was nice but the food was bland and they were serving raw pork! We informed the manager who displined the chef but the following week it was just as bad... we ended up paying 7 euros for a taxi into Las Americas Town to pay 40 Euros for a meal as it was inedible at the hotel.

The entertainment was also repeated each week, when we stayed there was a parrot show, snake show and bingo occassionally. Kids entertainment was early in the evening so if you didnt get there quick enough you would struggle to find seats.

Lastly, we had to ask to have our towels and sheets changed of which we were lucky to have them changed every 2 days even if we asked.

Away from the hotel, the loro parque and siam park were great days out so I would recommend going there for these but nothing else.

• Travel date: Tue 5th of January 2010

Hotels near Gran Oasis Resort

Top traveller tips for Gran Oasis Resort

• jayne bailey by jayne bailey

"hotel oasis nightmare "

• harrison109 by harrison109

"all inclusive didnt need to go anywhere "

• Richardbray by Richardbray

"book outside the spanish holiday including bank holidays! "

• Richardbray by Richardbray

"you cant miss the corner restraunt opersit were you get off the bus at the beach its a very english! "

• subaloo by subaloo

"Las Americas was a little way of but lovely when you get there "

• subaloo by subaloo

"Little Italy and Loro Parque "

• jamielowe1990 by jamielowe1990

"Nice place plenty of shops and a reasonable beach "

• Alexander by Alexander

"Great Hotel, is up top of steep hill, not recommended for people with walking problems. "

• Anonymous Couple by Anonymous Couple

"Don't Stay, Go to a different hotel "

Gran Oasis Resort is also called