Good

Getting rid of this millstone

Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2014

"Can anyone suggest a way that we can rid ourselves of the millstone that is the one week timeshare we own at El Marques, we have to pay the maintenance every year and we are unable to visit the resort as I now work in a school and the week we own is in termtime.

I have never known any thing else that you are unable to get out of or give back.

Nightmare"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2014

Loved it!!!

Reviewed Thu 9th of May 2013

"We went on a timeshare exchange to El Marques end March/Beginning April.Excellent location for walking either to Los Gigantes or Puerto Santiago.Apartments very clean and fresh and all staff very friendly and helpful.Had a really relaxed atmosphere.We loved it so much that we made enquiries about purchasing and found that the apartment we were staying in was actually for sale for 2 weeks so we purchased them!.So we are now looking forward to many more holidays here."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of May 2013

Fabulous

Reviewed Tue 11th of September 2012

"I have a timeshare here and it's a wonderful place, totally clean, staff fantastic, will put themselves out for you anytime, they really did help us out last year when we had booked up an apartment in Los Cristianos and it was such a dump we called up El Marques to see if they had an apartment spare and they couldn't do enough for us. We have been coming here over 10 years now and have to say we love it, if a light bulb goes in the apartment, if the kettle breaks, literally anything, you just tell them and it's fixed within a matter of minutes/hours (depending what the fault is), you just couldn't ask for better, the apartments are fantastic, great area, great staff, great people, would totally recommend. "

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2012

Great Retreat

Reviewed Wed 5th of October 2011

"El Marques in Los Gigantes is a fabulous place to stay, we have stayed there many times. Great views and loads of good quality resturants and bars near bye, The flats have everything you need and have loads of space to hang clothes."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2011

came with friends to el marques and love...

Reviewed Wed 2nd of July 2008

"came with friends to el marques and loved it, this year we bought our own timeshare which proved quite easy to do with the help of the lovely staff,
we bought for week 45, so will be there in novemebr. we think the complex is wonderful and hope to have many years of visiting this place. we have always liked los gigantes and santiago even though it is not for the unfit, due to the hills. the restuarants and bars are very good. we have had some good meals all at reasonable prices."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2008

Stayed at El Marques in November. Staf...

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2007

"Stayed at El Marques in November.

Staff were brilliant; nothing was too much trouble.

The whole complex was very clean and maintenance staff were touching stuff up as required.

Loads of restaurants and bars very close. If you don’t want to walk into Los Gigantes reception will get you a taxi and they cost less then 3 euros weekdays and about 3.50 euros on a Sunday.

• Travel date: Mon 10th of December 2007

I am, along with my husband owners at th...

Reviewed Sat 14th of January 2006

"I am, along with my husband owners at the holiday resort of El Marques, Tenerife, many weeks throughout the year. Over many years I have been very delighted and contented with the quality and service this timeshare site has to offer to its guests from around the world. In fact, I would not have spent my hard-earned cash otherwise, investing in a freehold one-bedroom apartment!

This resort of El Marques can be found on the south-west coastline of Tenerife, up the hill from the towns of Los Gigantes and Puerto Santiago. This area of Tenerife well known for having the most amount of sun in the island over the year. (I find this often to be the case and is another reason for choosing this resort. I love the warmth of the sun on my skin). It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to walk to either town centre and a little longer to walk back up the hill. I my case almost an hour, but I do walk with crutches! My advice concurred by the resort is to take a taxi for around three euros back, particularly if you are tired, or if you just want a rest; well you are on holiday!

Depending on the day you arrive to El Marques resort (often a Friday but sometimes a Tuesday), there is a welcome meeting where sangria is served freely and everyone is invited by personal invitation, which is usually the following day after arrival. You are introduced to the Manager, Anna and her team of workers. (They speak many languages so there are few language-barrier problems). The timeshare element is mentioned in passing, but El Marques is fully sold and you are requested to contact Maddy, in the sales team, if you want to know about any re-sales that may be available. (My brother on one trip was so impressed approached the sales team and brought a week. I found that at no time he was under pressure). There is no pressure to buy or look at apartments like you get at other timeshare resorts. (On the resort next door, El Marques Palace, this is not the same and not pert of the El Marques resort). The philosophy of the site is ‘when you are on holiday all you want to do is relax’. This is one many of the other owners believe and that I wholeheartedly agree with too.

Trips around Tenerife are available are offered during the welcome meeting. You are introduced to a team that explains them in detail and they give a generous discount on any bookings made there and then. I was not disappointed when I went on a trip to La Gomera. I may even do it again on my next trip to Tenerife as I enjoyed it so much. I have not been on any of the dolphin trips, but have seen them from my balcony.

El Marques has an exceptional magnetism with the familiarity of a traditional Spanish village. The villas are white walled with red tiled roofs units that are set in a terrace formation down the hillside. It is a complex that was built in two phases at the end of the 1980’s early 1990’s. It consists of one bed, two bed apartments, two-bed duplex and three bedroom villas. Something to suit everyone, I think.

All the apartments are well furnished to a high standard as expected in British homes today. There is a well-equipped separate kitchen, containing both an oven and microwave, fridge-freezer and washing machine along a breakfast bar, dinning area and lounge with satellite television, separated bedroom/s and bathroom/s. (Most of the two/three bedroom accommodation has an en suite too). There is even a hair dryer, plus iron and ironing board, so you do not need to take one with you. There are, however no telephones in the apartments as ‘the owners felt they hindered relaxation’. Anyway now a day most people who visit bring along their mobile phone. I know that I do. If however you do require a phone there is pay phones situated in the lobby near the bar. Maid service is three times a week and towels are provided including some exclusively for pool/beach use so there is again no need to bring your own. How many resorts do this? Not many from my knowledge. The view from the balcony is also stunning as I mentioned before; it is of the island La Gomera. The resort of El Marques overlooks the sea and the World Record holding cliffs of Los Gigantes.

The resort of El Marques offers an excellent tiled, heated outdoor swimming pool and children’s swimming pool that was refurbished about five years ago now. There is also a game's area and children’s playground. There is a bar offering a wide variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks as well as snack during the day. I can recommend to bocadillos. Yummy! In the evening there is a restaurant, which offers an a la carte menu and on certain evening during the week there is a set menu followed by a live entertainment cabaret. The Grand Buffet night on a Wednesday evening is excellent value for money, being all you can eat. The shear volume of food available stumps even Shane, my hubby! If you are a vegetarian it is worth making the effort to speak to the chief, as Tenerife is famous for its meat dishes, but he will make dishes that do not contain meat along with copious amounts of salads and the deserts are to die for.

The reception is not open twenty-four hours a day at this resort, but the night security guards or bar staff are willing to help with any queries you might have, including recommending a local medical centre. We have arrived late into the night and the security guard even helped to bring our luggage to our apartment. The reception staff is also multi-lingual, speaking: English, French, German, Italian and of course Spanish. (I may have forgotten a language or two. Just depends who is working at the time, but most of the staff have been employed there for a few years now so you get to know them as friends).

Near to El Marques you can find, two very pleasant black sand beaches, these are nothing like the dirty white ones found at Las Americas, but they do get crowded particularly during Spanish bank holidays. Water skiing and scuba diving are also available in the harbour at Los Gigantes, long with fishing and sailing, or round at Playa de la Arena. Numerous shops are situated around the outside of the complex and during the welcome meeting the best supermarket is highlighted, for value for money and choice of products. Oh how I love to shop and there are many bargains to be had. There is a sports club next to the resort offering tennis, squash, gym equipment, health and beauty parlour along with a sauna but it do belong now to the site. For the golf minded visitor, you will need transport as the nearest course is about 26km away. The theatre is in Playa de Las Americas is well worth a visit particularly if the Spanish National Ballet is performing and is around 27km away, along with the casino.

I really love this site but let me give you one word of warning it is not suitable for those with walking difficulties due to the number of steps. Ramps have been added for wheelchair use, but be warned they are steep. If like me, you are disabled but want to stay here, try and book a one-bedroom apartment (Friday exchanges only) as they have access to a lift, not available to the other apartments. I feel that if you want a fairly quiet holiday on the beautiful island El Marques is worth a visit. Some weeks are also sold to non-timeshare owners, or if a friend offers you a timeshare week why not try El Marques?"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of January 2006

Hotels near Ona El Marques

Top traveller tips for Ona El Marques

• POOKYBLUE5 by POOKYBLUE5

"Everything is so great anyway you don't need any tips "

• Pauline R by Pauline R

"Do not buy a week here "

Ona El Marques is also called