My husband and I stayed in the Arona Gra...

Good
Reviewed Sun 29th of October 2006

"My husband and I stayed in the Arona Gran Hotel in October for one week, the hotel was really nice it was very impressive.

The food was good but you do have to be very careful when you are ordering drinks because you don’t pay for anything with cash, it is all done using the room card which was a credit card you could easily run up a large bill. My husband and I would have preferred to use cash.

On the last day of our holiday we had to check out of the hotel at 12.00 the flight was not leaving until 11.30 that night and the hotel would not let us stay on in the room or they didn't give us another room to stay in, we just had to store our luggage in a room at reception which was locked.

We did get a room just for half and hour to get changed in I think this was unfair of the hotel considering we didn’t arrive until 11.00 the first night. The staff in the Hotel were very friendly, we did have a lovely holiday in the Arona Gran we would recommend this hotel to family and friends."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of October 2006

The hotel looked very nice and luxurious...

Good
Reviewed Mon 17th of July 2006

"The hotel looked very nice and luxurious, almost like a 5 star hotel. The rooms were good, pool was good, and the entertainment was good.

The bad things were construction work going on at the pool side bar, but that didn't really bother us or many other guests, the pool tables were not good, sometimes if you putt a white ball, it wouldn't come back, it would stay with all the rest of the balls.

We booked 3 excursions with Airtours, the coach was late picking us up in every excursion.

On one excursion the coach broke down on the motorway on the way back and we had to wait 20 minutes for another coach. They were even late picking us up to go to the airport on the way home, when they did pick us up to go to the airport, they still had to go to many other hotels and the traffic was very busy, when we got to the airport, and got checked in, we looked at the flight times and for our flight it said "last call", we were some of the last people to board and just 5 minutes after we boarded, the plane left.

If Airtours were another 5-10 minutes late we would have missed the flight."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

We have just returned from a most enjoya...

Reviewed Tue 28th of February 2006

"We have just returned from a most enjoyable week in this 4* hotel. The accommodation, food, staff & clientele were all very good. Our overall impression was of a quiet, relaxed atmosphere, resulting in us returning home revitalized & eager to return!

The food was both plentiful & varied. No matter what time you arrived at either breakfast or dinner, most if not all dishes were well replenished.

The staff were all very attentive & helpful. Nothing was too much bother for them & their command of English excellent. A hotel I would have no hesitation recommending to others."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of February 2006

We spent a 2 week holiday in Tenerife in...

Reviewed Sat 26th of November 2005

"We spent a 2 week holiday in Tenerife in the Hotel Arona Gran. September 2005
The hotel was brilliant, bright, clean, with well mannered guests and staff who looked after us well, (but) as this was a top hotel I objected to the waiters leaning across diners whilst serving.

Food, disgustingly palatious, cooked in front of us, never stopped feeding us, which had us putting the pounds on.
A wonderful area with plenty to see and take part in. The wife and I had a fabulous time and didn't want to leave.

All good things come to an end and we hope to come back to the Arona Gran again.
Complaint. Never saw a rep which I think is disgraceful. This is down to the tour operators (Thompson & Thomas Cook) with whom we will never use again."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of November 2005

before you book read this

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"when you first arrive at the hotel it looks very immpresive, a shame it lets ltself down on a few points. the hotel is all about making as much money from you as it can! we knew that it used a credit card system, and so the staff seem unintrested, who can blame them. if your not required to carry cash theres less chance of tipping the staff and boy do they understand that principle. because there is no cash ( or tips ) changing hands the staff do not seem to interact with the guests. there is a service charge attached to every transaction, even if you cant find a waiter and go to the pool bar yourself, you will still be hit with a service charge. the arona gran has the worst pool snack area of any hotel we have stayed at. bland tasteless food without any hint of passion or pride by those preparing the menu offered. the same applies to the dining room, we went on a half board basis and were really dissatisfied to the point that we ate outmost nights. we were placed on arrival in a room at the side of the hotel and went back to reception to ask for an upgrade expecting to be charged and willing to pay. we did not expect to have to go on a waiting list, but did get moved a couple of days later for 126 Euros. A word of warning! when you check out dont expect to be able to keep your room on, even for a charge it wont happen. we were charged a full days supplement for our move to a different room even on the day we checked out. on going down to the reception area we were amazed to find that it looked more like a check in area at an airport. cases and people every where all complaining to each other about how disgraceful it was for so many people to be thrown out of ther rooms at the same time with no facilities, not even a room to put your luggage in! it really is a case of we have had your money and now we dont care, some people were not due to fly untill midnight yet were not provided with any means of comfort. they will tell you that a hospitality room would be offered for half an hour for a shower etc, but in reality this turned out to be the shower area in the gym! we would not go back to this hotel again as a lot of other guests stated, a better bet would be the Reveron Plaza in the centre of Los Chris, we went in and had a look, much nicer. The Arona Gran Hotel looks nice in the brochures but sadly fails to live up to the hype. a hotel that is geared up to the german clients and the elderly type of holiday maker, be warned. we were there from 11/10/05 untill 21/10/05, John & Liz from Newcastle Upon Tyne.A good holiday if you like lettuce with your breakfast!"

• Travel date: Fri 21st of October 2005

Big let down!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We stayed et the Arona Gran for our honeymoon and on our arrival the inside looked impressive. Unfortunatly the outside is less pleasing to the eyes (unless you like graffiti)
We foung the reception staff very rude, the bar staff even worse and the gym staff hostile and unhelpful.
Positive points are the pool area and restaurant staff/service.
Some other guests mentioned that they have been going for years and that the hotel had just changed hands and they will not be going back due to the deterioration.
It was by far the most we have payed for a hotel which looks impressive on paper but left us wondering what all the fuss is about!!"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of October 2005

difficult to enjoy

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Hotel reception area is very nice and suggests luxury. Room was not properly cleaned toilet stank all the time. TV poor picture. Light shades covered in cob-webes. If you like queing then this is the place for you restaurant is a battle field we gave up on several occasions and went elsewhere. We witnessed two rows between guests over sun beds one involving german couple hurling the beds around. There is no real acces to the sea. Entertainment was that bad it was funny. Staff were ignorant and very unhelpfull, no room provided to secure lugage, no complimentary room for shower we were even refused entry to restaurant for meal we had paid for on day of departure which was a relief really.
Overall looks very nice, location is poor staff are overstretched and guests are stressed the place reminded me of the titanic lots of passengers and not enough life boats we are a coulpe aged mid forties and feel robbed."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of October 2005

Ok but not 4 star

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"I just returned from a two week stay at the Arona Gran Hotel. It is an ok hotel but if you are expecting luxury you will be disappointed.

The rooms are a bit old fashioned and fusty, and the bathrooms are fine but again, no frills.

The pools are lovely, and very clean, and there are decent views over the marina. However, the enormous ferries coming in several times an hour - not to mention parping loudly at 8.30am and 9.30am every morning - forget your lie in! - make the relaxed atmosphere slightly less soothing than it could be.

The restaurant is pretty much a canteen where you fend for yourself. We named it "The Dungeon" and ate out most nights. It is more about packing the punters in than fine cuisine and ambience. You definitely notice this as the ninth octogenarian of the night bumps into you as they squeeze past your chair and drop blancmange on your head. That didn't actually happen but you get my drift.

You can buy food and drinks in the hotel bars and the outdoor restaurant on your room key, which is quite convenient. The entertainment is geared up for the many elderly guests the hotel seems to attract and focuses mainly on cabaret *shudder*. Fine for fans of dodgy flamenco, bingo and lurid cocktails but not for us.

The hotel is based at the end of the bay and it is a 10-15 minute walk into the centre of Los Cristianos and 25 minutes to Las Americas. I'd pack shoes you can walk in as it can be a bit of a hike. There are excellent facilities and ramps for disabled travellers so getting into the main parts of town appeared easy.

Overall we had a great holiday but I'm not in a hurry to return to the Arona Gran. Very basic and comfortable, but definitely could do with an update. More 3 star than 4 star.

Hope this helped!"

• Travel date: Thu 6th of October 2005

Hotel from hell

Reviewed Sun 14th of October 2012

"Upon our visit to the Arona Gran Hotel in september via Thompson Holidays, we were extremly dissapointed with the poor standard of the hotel on arrival. We visited this hotel 5 years ago in which at that time was of a 4 star standard. The visit to the hotel this year was of great surprise at such a run down, dirty hotel. The rooms were very fusty, bathrooms in a great need of renovation, balconys full of cigrette ends etc.
The restaurant was like a canteen, with no organisation, There were small flies surrounding the cold buffet counter and the food was of no way inviting. The waitors were of some what like FAULTY TOWERS, crashings plates and cutlery onto trolleys portraying a very unrelaxing atmostphere.
The reception staff were the most uncaring and unproffesional team we have ever experienced.
Thompson holidays are only interested in your money, When it comes to customer care, they would not even gain a 1 * in my views.
After one day at this Hotel, we packed our cases and moved to a 5* Hotel, where we could start to enjoy our holiday.
So please take this advice as a warning if you are looking for a enjoyable holiday, do not book up at this hotel.

The Arona Gran Hotel is definatly not a 4 * our rating would be a 1* only."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of October 2005

Nice Hotel BUT!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for one week half boarsd. The hotel reception, pools, rooms etc were excellent, - room air conditioning could be improved. We found the restaurant, however, was something of a battlefield. Guests were left to fend for themselves with staff reluctant to assist guests find a table that was set - no delegation by management. Furthermore, the food was below what we expected to find in a 'four star' establishment. Overall it is a great shame that the restaurant lets this hotel down because the overall appearance of the hotel interior was excellent indeed outstanding."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2005

Exceeded our expectations.

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We have recently returned from a week at the Aron Gran and all I can say is that it exceeded my expectations in all respects.

We went as a party of 5, my wife, daughter, son in law, our youngest grand-daughter and I. I think that we were all stunned at the standard of finishing in the hotel. The polished marble, everywhere in all the public rooms. The attentiveness of the staff to our requirements. The bedrooms were good and the views were stunning. The pools are large, warm and fastidiously cleaned each morning.

(Attached is a shot from within the bedroom looking out across the bay.)

I don’t think that it will be liked by all though, if you are looking for bright lights, dancing till dawn and drinking contests look somewhere else.
There is not the all night room service that you would expect from a London 4* but you get a smile and a greeting from all members of staff. There is not a black cab rank outside ready to part you from your hard earned but quick polite and inexpensive cabs are only a call to the reception away.

The food is as diverse as the origin of the clientele and all well presented and tasty. Yes taken from a buffet style presentation but I don't want silver service on holiday. For example, I like a choice of 9 different rolls for breakfast; I like a large choice of vegetarian foods. If I like something I want to be able to get seconds without a sideways look from the waiter. When I relax on holiday I want good service but without having the waiter hovering over me all the time.

The walk into the town is fun. If you want, you can stroll across the beach front and be regaled with invitations to eat & drink at the numerous eateries across the sea front. If that doesn't appeal then go out of the front of the front of the hotel and walk straight into the higher end of the shopping area, we managed to do this only once but that was enough to please the wife and leave my credit card stunned. Even when the prices are this good (Haggle) it still hurts if you buy enough.

Many single points stand out, but the overall experience exceeds the sum of the parts. No wonder so many of the people we met were repeat visitors."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of May 2005

Wonderful amazing place

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Well just arrived back home sadly from staying at the arona gran for 2 weeks. Its great we all totally enjoyed it. We are a married couple between 30-35 with two well behaved kids aged 6 and 12 and my mum also came with us. The rooms are lovely we had a great room on the top floor facing the pools and sea. The hotel is so very clean and totally wonderful.
The food is good and the service is also.
The entertainment was alittle disappointing but dont let this put you off as the Hotel is the best l have stayed in yet. It is mainly for the older couples but still my hushand and myself including the kids had a lovely time and all the staff are so friendly. Its in a quiet location which we loved as we are not drinkers or into night clubs but do like a good laugh !!!
The swimming pools as maintained daily and tested thoughtout the day.
We always got a sun lounger and waitress would get your drinks for you which was very nice and bring them to you.....
The only thing l wouldn;t recommend is going with Thomsons as there is no rep in the hotel at all or on the coach and if you need anyone you have to call them... We tried to call them 12 times just to find out what time the return coach was picking us up but the line was always engaged so next time l wouldn't go with thomsons at all to this hotel or any other.
Also watch the drinks bill as this can mount up quickly, you do not carry money around the hotel it is all charged to your room which is a great idea but expensive just be careful.
I will be 100% returning and would recommend it for this time of year.....
P.S the weather was wonderful the whole two week and started mainly at 28c ......x"

• Travel date: Fri 20th of May 2005