Good

spent 28 days all inclusive in this hotel my wife and I and for a three star reasonably good

Reviewed Tue 3rd of January 2012

"room and food fine entertainment poor would recomend only when fiestas are not on. Staff very friendly hotel reasonably heated, bar service there is always a queue.Lifts some time there is a queue.hotel is quite clean and there is a nice sun lounge to sit on sunny days."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2011

Oundle Travel highly recommend The Abama...

Reviewed Sat 5th of April 2008

"Oundle Travel highly recommend The Abama in Tenerife and have many discerning clients who agree ! Feedback is excellent from this hotel and all clients have said they would return.

Service and restuarants are second to none, one with Michelin starred dining. With a state of the art Spa & Wellness centre The Abama is perfect for a break at any time of the year.

Rooms are stylish, spacious and well laid out. The hotels also caters well for families and children, there is also a tennis club and an 18 hole golf course. Junior Suites and Villas are also available"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of April 2008

Having the best rates in the industry an...

Reviewed Wed 6th of February 2008

"Having the best rates in the industry and flights from any airport for any duration, we
have sent many discerning clients to this hotel who have been delighted with both the standard of accommodation, food and service. People who would not visit Tenerife again have been persuaded to stay at the Abama and would now go back anytime.
Primera Travel are the number one fans of this property."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of February 2008

Perfect January Escape

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We spent 4 nights at Abama in January and had a lovely time. At first glance the complex looks like a giant pink flamingo, which is initially worrying. However, once inside, although large, the hotel managed to avoid feeling impersonal. At the time the hotel was very quiet, with no children around, which was nice. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the room large, comfortable and with a great view, despite being only a standard and the food in the italian/argentinian restaurant absolutely fine-simple pizzas, steaks etc. There are higher quality resaurants within the complex: the Japanese one was always busy, and there is one run by a Michelin starred chef, which was sadly closed during our stay.
We played golf every day: the course is beatifully kept with stunning views and should challenge even low handicap golfers more than adequately. For those with high handicaps, it may be too challenging. There are rumours of a further 9 holes opening, which would be great for those of us who would like to avoid daily mental breakdown somewhere around the 4th.
We were also given a free 2 hours in the spa. No treatments were included, but the whole thallasotherapy pool and surrounding wet and steam rooms were fun. Don't miss 'world of showers'. Treatments looked reasonably priced, and next time I'm definately going to book a few to ease the aching golfing muscles.
I can't comment on what the hotel would be like if it were busier. Some may prefer it as there would be more atmosphere. There are 8 swimming pools and plenty of space though, so I guess it wouldn't get too crowded.
All in all, I definately recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

Everyone is entitled to their opinions

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I have read all of the reviews for The Abama Hotel and am a little dissapointed in them.

I have been twice to the Abama now and have to say that all of the reviews do have some points.

However in answer to them I will try to point out some of what I class as the answers.

Spa Appointments - If you go to a hotel in the middle of the school holidays then you would imagine that the spa will be very busy and as such they cannot fit you in when you want it. However on both occasions I have had no problem at all getting into the spa.

Restuarants - Everyone will debate as to what is expensive or not. Personally I didnt think the restaurants were expensive but I do feel that particularly the pool restaurant's standards are not up to what they should be. The Golf Club had some of the best food and the Italian was also excellent.

Kids Club - Im sorry but I feel its common sense that a kids club should be booked into. Most hotels require this who have this facility as there does tend to be limited spaces.

Golf Course - Someone has said that the golf course is not what it is claimed to be on the hotels website. From what I can see the golf course is not claimed to be anything on the website. They have also said it is slightly better than those in Southern Spain. Well Tenerife is part of Spain. The course is great and challenging. Also the pros are very helpful as well.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own experiences and opinions and we have to respect them and appreciate them. That is what Tripadvisor is all about but in my opinion there is no way the Abama rates a 2 out of 5.

I would certainly go back there at the drop of a hat."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of February 2007

Great Hotel, minor problems

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"As we arrived in the week just before Christmas everything was nice and quiet (though the cable car down to the beach did not work) and we spent a great week there. My husband enjoyed a challenging round of golf - fully established course only one year after opening and the views are stupendous. So is the garden and the general style and décor of the hotel. Problems with food mentioned by fellow travellers persist. Great breakfast but apart from the Mirador the other restaurants are nothing special. The gourmet place looked really naf and the menue turned us off. As we had a car we could buy water elsewhere but you do get a free bottle each day. Room service leaves something to be desired - the wine cooler and glasses sat in the corridor for three days after we were finished with it. But otherwise great experience, very nice place and if we go back to teneriffe we would definitely stay there."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of January 2007

Disappointing

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Parctically every aspect of this hotel is really lovely. We arrived to a glass of champagne. We were shown to a beautiful room with wonderful bathroom. The public areas were impressive. No member of staff would pass you without saying hello. Excellent service in every area. The spa was very relaxing. My husband loved the golf course. HOWEVER. apart from breakfast which offered anything you might wish the food was very average. This is a five star hotel offering 3 star cuisine. We ate in three different restaurants. All very average and uninspiring. We decided not to eat in the fine dining restaurant because of our previous experiences. This restaurant might have been good, but it was very expensive and we were not going to take the risk.
In the room information we were advised to reserve a table. When we tried to do this we were told it was not necessary. It was annoying when we turned up for dinner to be made to wait 45 mins,
I loved the Abama but I will not return. Five star should mean 5 star in every area of service. The food in not up to scratch."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of November 2006

Very nice resort

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed here for a week in October. While not quite reaching the standards of similar Asian resort hotels, it was nevertheless a most enjoyable holiday. Our transfer from the airport never showed, so we were forced to take a taxi which the surly receptionist refused to reimburse as we had failed to ask for a receipt, despite acknowledging that they had forgotten to arrange the transfer. However, a very helpful reception manager resolved this the following day and every other member of staff was extremely helpful throughout our stay. Restaurants are good and reasonably priced ( compared to Dublin anyway ) although the wine lists are limited. Pool and beach area also very nice. Golf course is average, and nowhere near as good as they claim on their website, but slightly better than similar courses in southern Spain for example.
One other small thing was being forced to buy water from the bar, as the shop stocked none, irritating having to pay €3 for a tiny bottle of water 8 or 9 times a day. However I probably will return as it is a nice option for a quiet break within reasonable flying time."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of November 2006

The Promise that Wasn't Delivered

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Having stayed at many 5 and 6 star hotels throughout Europe, the Middle East and Asia, w found our stay at the Abama mostly very disappointing due to the appalling service and management. It started with our arrival where we had to queue for 15 minutes just to check in. The aforementioned glass of champagne arrived just as we were about to go (finally) to our rooms. We stayed in a two room suite with an additional room attached via a connecting door. This proved to be one of many recurring annoyances as everyday after the room was cleaned, the connecting door would be locked and we'd have no access to our additional room. We would have to call the reception to have someone open the door for us which took up to 30 minutes. This was a daily occurance although we requested that the door not be locked. In addition we had to request that our room be cleaned everyday because generally it was still not made up by 4 pm.

On our first day, we were told that the children's club was fully booked for the entire week as it only has a capacity for 20 children. Not once had we been told that it would be necessary to book it in advance before our arrival. To the hotel's credit, they did open a new club up the following day. But that was unfortunately the only time we had any luck. Getting a spa appointment was also impossible. Although I tried to book one as soon as I arrived for any time during my stay, the only availability was on the day before my departure.

As we were staying in a suite/villa we were told that we'd be able to have an a la carte breakfast in the Mirador restaurant which has lovely views. We went there on our first morning and it was closed. We were then told that it is only open for breakfast during the high season. (Again nothing we'd been told in advance.) While the food in the main breakfast room was good and abundant, there was never anybody there to seat us which meant searching for a table for 5. Not very easy as most tables were set for 4. Sitting at a 4-top meant having to search for an additional place setting as it was rare to find a hotel employee. In addition, the actual room is huge and loud and unattractive. Not at all a relaxing breakfast atmosphere. In fact, the atmosphere was more like dining in a train station.

We ordered room service one night and while it only took 40 minutes for the food to arrive, the order was not complete. The steak was cold and not cooked as requested. The food was generally tasteless.

The hotel boasts fitness clases which incidentally cost €15 although you're not informed of this until you arrive to take the class and after you've registered for it. We were also told that it costs an additional €8 to use the gym. Our rooms cost roughly €1,000 per night. One would think that that would cover visits to the gym. It later turned out that we actually didn't have to pay for gym usage. However, everytime we wanted to use the gym we had to argue the point.

The in-room directory claims that the reading room has an extensive collection of books, magazines and dvd's. There was a stack of romance novels and that was it. The Abama Club personnel told me that the hotel actually doesn't have dvd's for the guests. This is incidentally the only 5 star hotel I've stayed in that doesn't have either pay per view movies or some sort of movie channel.

We finally complained to the local representative of the tour operator we used. She told us that someone from the hotel would contact us but that never happened. She also told us that we were one of 25 parties she was dealing with with such extensive complaints.

That said, the views are lovely and the staff is very nice and polite. However, for the cost and supposed standard, I will not be returning."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of November 2006

Absolutely wonderful

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We have just come back from a fantastic week at Abama. The hotel amenities, rooms, decor, choice, bathrooms, spa, food, golf course and service were all excellent and we will definitely come back. The resort was at 35% occupancy which suited us fine as we had the golf course almost to ourselves in the mornings and one of the many pools entirely to ourselves in the afternoons. We especially enjoyed the Kabuki Japanese and Mirador seafood restaurants, and the Gourmet Patio restaurant (with 3 star Michelin Chef) was an amazing experience too. The staff were fantastic and we agreed that 2 weeks here would almost be too much as we were learning not to lift a finger for ourselves! I agree with other reviewers that it is a 5 star Grand Luxe in the style of the Dubai hotels, however we didn't feel that anything was overpriced. Indeed we found the excellent Italian and meat-loving Argentinian restaurants to be very well priced and perfect for those evening when we wanted a lower-key dinner. Overall an excellent 5 star golf resort to rival any in the Algarve, Costa del Sol or Dubai. Can't wait to return."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of October 2006

excellent

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Searching for a week's summer holiday with guaranteed weather , no crowds and limited jet lag is always tricky from the UK.

The Abama certainly goes a good way to solving the problem.

The huge terracotta hotel is a little, ahem, imposing. But once inside, the rooms ( we had an ocean view suite)are large and well fitted out, the food, especailly the Argentinian and Japanese restaurants, outstanding and the staff very helpful.

The concept isn't dissimilar to say Jumeirah Beach. Lots of pools, lots of different places to eat, sports bar, buggies to take you everywhere, good fitness facilities, brilliant buffet breakfasts and a really cute private beach with great swimming. And golf if you like that kind of thing.

Kids seem to enjoy it & there's plenty of room to get away if you don't enjoy them as the hotel hasn't really taken off yet.

Easy access to the magnificent Teide, Mosca etc.

The hotel should also go some way to resurrecting Tenerife's image, which to be honest it definitely needs."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006

Had a relaxing time

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"The hotel is fairly newly built and therefore everything is very clean and fresh. It was so lovely that we didn't move from the complex at all and just enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the hotel. the building itself and gardens are just stunning! The pools are lovely with any number of sun loungers (and pools!) to choose from. The pool attendents constantly refreshing towels and giving guests towels rolled up as head rests. The restaurants on the site were lovely with fresh food cooked to order. Our room was fantastic and large, as was the balcony. We didn't take advantage of the activities at the Hotel or spa but would like to go back to try some.
The only criticism I would levy is it was very quiet with very few guests and it would have been quite nice to have a little more buzz about the place. It would be lovely to see a place like this that is trying so hard to be a big success as they really deserve to be.
Overall I would say this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

Hotels near The Ritz-Carlton, Abama

Top traveller tips for The Ritz-Carlton, Abama

• ronnie by ronnie

"ok except when Spanish weekenders come to stay they are noisy and turn the place upside down "

The Ritz-Carlton, Abama is also called