GREAT HOTEL

Reviewed Tue 6th of May 2014

"Having stayed at arenas Del mar for 3 nights in January due to over booking in another hotel have now booked again for June 14.Simply cant believe some of the negative reviews posted.We found the food of a high standard and selection,the staff very helpful and polite,reception staff excellent. general cleanliness of the hotel being of a very high standard and looking forward to our visit in June
Kathryn and Derek Hurley "

• Travel date: Mon 5th of May 2014

Never Again

Reviewed Wed 29th of January 2014

"Stayed ten nights in this hotel in December 2013. Hotel was average as was the food. What they do not mention is that due to the close proximity of the airport, all passengers having flight delays or cancellations are accommodated at the Arenas del Mar. This happened twice during our stay with people "camped out" in the reception and lounge/bar areas. Suit cases dumped anywhere. We had to retire early to our rooms in order to get a seat.
Totally ruined our holiday and management made no attempt to alleviate the problem. Nor did the holiday operator Jet2holidays who totally rejected my complaints on returning home.

• Travel date: Wed 29th of January 2014

Appalling service & sea location, my worst family holiday we had so far

Reviewed Mon 25th of February 2013

" I went on Holiday with my wife and daughter on 12th july to 26th july booked this Hotel for 1 reason that it had 5* reviews and I thought it would be 5* rated Hotel, When we arrived there we regret booking this Hotel and had terrible 6 days stay at Arena Del Mar see my reasons breakdown; 1) this Hotel was in middle of nowhere in mountains and very windy & cold, the nearest town centre was El Medano small village with 2 or 3 shops around which was 15min walk from Arena Del Mar, 2) the beach was not usable as it was very windy, and unsafe to use due to wind + not clean beach. 3) we ended up taking taxi 30miles far from Arena Del Mar to go to nearest beach that was usable, this was in Las Americas and Las Christianos costing us £30 euros to go and 30euros to come back and we had no other option as the inside hotel swimming pool the water was very cold and very windy day and night. 4) the drinks, we paid all inclusive for our stay there and we were only allowed cheap draught beer and unknown spirits that were terrible taste, vodka, gin, rum etc called house poring spirits that u will never see anywhere, the back bar known brands such as Jack Daniels, Bailies etc where 8euros each and we had to pay for them (in Antalya Turkey all inclusive means you get anything as much as you want for free even jack Daniels, baylies etc) but not in this Hotel, I ended up buying alcohol and juices for my room as the fridge was empty + hotel soft &juices drinks were terrible, Food it was ok for few days but as its always the same after few days you will get tired of it, + watch out for big cockroaches runing around the floor in the restaurant, 5) the staff they gave good comments for them which I agree some were ok but there is 1 lady that works in the reception I believe her name is Olivia short, light brown hair with glasses, shes rude, aggressive and not willing to help staying guests with any advise or help asked. 6) this Hotel is suitable for people ages over 60+ and no wonder 80% + of guests were of ages 60+ when I was there. I would not recommend this hotel to any families or people under age 60+, we had the worst holiday in our life at around 9pm we had to lock ourselves inside the room as nowhere to go windy and cold, sleeping with pyjamas, my wife started getting depressed after few days, which after 6 days stay there made me contact my agency onthebeach and change the hotel to 3* hotel in las americas worthed half of the price we paid just to get out of this Hotel. we are back home in London now and still when we think of this Arena Del Mar our faces change and have bad memories that will not go away. I am been honest and this is the reason I have given this review so you and your family may not have your holiday ruined by this Hotel and Mountain village in middle of nowhere so my advise avoid going here! Please post this feedback to Arena Del Mar Hotel as this is a true statement and I have the right to leave a feedback positive or negative. PLease let me know when will my feedback go live to Arena Del Mar guest feedback page? Regards Ibrahim Hoxha"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of February 2013

Lovely relaxing place

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We spent 9 days here in October and can't believe some of the negative comments!
The rooms were lovely and the food was excellent, lots of choice and very fresh.
The poolside was great too and plenty of sunloungers for all.

El Medano was a stroll up the beach and a gorgeous wee town, with tourists and locals a nice mix.

Would definately reccomend a stay here if you want a relaxing holiday, the entertainment was perfect too, not as luxurious as some 4 stars but worth a visit."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of November 2012

Very good value .

Reviewed Wed 7th of March 2012

"My wife an I stayed Feb 2012.Very clean and comfortable.Food good,something for everyone.Rooms very good but do advise to pay a little more for sea view.Staff very helpful.Will go back as it was nice and quiet,away from the crowds.10 minuets by taxi from the airport,15 Euros.Weather was warm and dry.Great Mini Break."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2012

Loved The Arenas

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"We have just returned back from the Hotel Del Mar.The hotel was absolutely lovely and cannot fault the Hotel and the Staff.
The food was excellent and good quality and cooked while we waited, so it was always hot.
The Staff was the nicest I have ever met and couldn't of made us feel more welcome, especially Sandra she was just great. The rooms were really clean as was the whole of the hotel.
The Hotel was virtually empty which was great for us, and there was no racing for the sunbeds.
The beach wasn't that good but we understand that the hotel was hoping to do the beach up and have a beach bar, which will be a lot better
I read previous reviews which made me a bit dubious about going, but we certainly didn't experience any problems, but that could of been because the Hotel was empty, and hopefully this will get sorted for next year.
All in all We had a lovely time and would definitely go back again..
Thank you to all the staff you were great, and Hello to Sandra."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of October 2008

A Quiet Gem

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"Just returned from a week at the hotel. We were all-inclusive at the hotel which was just as well as El Medano is a very quiet place. The hotel was very quiet as stated in the last review but it was great to have no screaming kids or people fighting over sunbeds at the pool. This is not a family hotel as there is very little for the children and the village of El Medano is a very quiet fishing village. This hotel and El Medano is for people who want a quiet and relaxing holiday.

Rooms - great spacious, comfortable modern rooms. You have to pay 3 euros a day to receive the satelitte channels.

Restaurant - food was cooked fresh by the chef. The food was very healthy and there wasn't the usual arrray of sticky stodgy cakes you were encouraged to eat healthy.

Bar - the barmen were very friendly though there was aonly a limited amount of local drinks and mixers which you could drink on the all-inclusive tafiff but they made a great Sangria from scratch.

Pool was very clean and I saw no rubbish lying about. the pool area was washed every day. It was a bit windy but you needed the breeeze with the heat in Tenerife. You were also given a complimentary ticket for the spa which is great.

Staff - we found the staff very accommodating and the recdeption staff went out of thier way to help and all spoke good English.

We arrived late so we were given our lunch on the last day but we had to ask for this but it wasn't a problem. We were also given use of a courtesy room to shower and change before departing.

I would return to this hotel as I couldn't fault it."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of October 2008

Great place - We recommend

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Me and my husband stayed at the hotel for a week at the end of September 2008. We had a seaview room and all inclusive. A great experience!

The hotel was almost empty when we arrived. There were, at least, as much staff as there were hotel guests. Therefore, the staff had time to attend to all our wishes. And, indeed, they did do much more than it is normally expected of.... Therefore, special thanks for the staff, especially, to Ana, Martin, Pablo, Sandra, and Michelle. They really did do everything to make us feel comfortable!

Previously, there were some Tripadvisor reviews that there were not enough staff in the hotel. Actually, we talked about these negative reviews with the staff. They admitted to us that August had been very tough for them (and the guests, too), because there were really too many guests and not enough staff. The hotel was fully booked, and it was really difficult for the staff to provide for a perfect service for all the guests at the same time. However, the staff had reported the problems to the management and, hopefully, next time they will be more prepared when the hotel is fully booked.

The all inclusive food was really good, fresh, and there were lot of things to choose from. According to my husband, the local beer was great and always ice cold.
The chef, Michelle, who is working the evening shift, is a really nice and funny guy. He even made us the famous Canary Island potatoes (cooked in the sea water), even if it was not in the weekly menu, because my husband likes them so much. (Well, I guess we got special treatment, because there were so few guests at the time.)

We recommend you to rent a car from the airport, if you want to see more than the hotel. The hotel is a little bit aside from all the activities. However, the nearby town, El Medano, is close by. It is really clean and nice and within a walking distance (10 minutes). In Medano, there are several beach wear shops, nice looking restaurants, cafes, etc. However, we did not really test them.

There is an OK beach at the Medano town center. However, if you have a car, we recomment you to visit La Tejita Beach - near Medano town center on the other side of Montana Roja (Red mountain). Some also refer La Tejita Beach as the Medano beach, even if it is not in Medano....) The beach is one of the best in Tenerife. The sand is soft (softer than in the North of Tenerife) and the beach itself is over 3 kilometers long! There were hardly any people on the beach at the times we visited, so we always had an "exclusive feeling" when we were there. Warning: Tejita is also a nudist beach. Nevertheless, we hardly saw any nudists, maybe one or two.....

In the earlier reviews, some people complained about the wind in the sunbathing area of the hotel. From the local surfer we heard that the best winds are from June to August and also in February it should be windy. So, if you are NOT a windsurfer, maybe these months are not the best times to visit to the south side of Tenerife.... However, we were lucky with the weather, too. It was sunny and not at all too windy in September.

The hotel was always very clean in-and-out. Everything is new and shining. The sunbathing area is washed every morning. There was really nothing to complain about. I really do not understand the earlier complaints about the uncleanliness. Maybe there were some compromises made in August, when the hotel was fully booked and the staff was scarce? (- Don't know.) However, with us, the staff was really maing its best effort.

Finally, we booked the hotel thorough Hotelopia (providing its services with several different languages and currencies, e.g. www.hotelopia.fr, www.hotelopia.es, www.hotelopia.de) - We think the service is cheaper than the other booking services the Tripadvisor promotes..."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

Fantastic hotel

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Arenas del Mar in Aug 2008 and had a wonderful time. The hotel was located right on the sea front and an easy flat (no hills) ten minute walk from the town centre. El Medano is a traditional Tenerife town. Every evening the square and beach front was full of the local people. The atmosphere was very friendly and there was a real feeling of community sadly missed in the UK. The town wasn't busy, hectic or noisy or overly comercialised. If you want all that go to Playa de las Americas! I can only describe the town as pleasant, clean and friendly.

The staff were extremely friendly and we always got an Ola! from everyone from the cleaners to the reception staff. If you made even the slightest effort to speak spanish the staff made a real effort to help. The hotel was very new, I think it opened in April 2008. There were a few teething problems such as staff shortages but nothing that I would say spoilt my enjoyment of the holiday. This was a family friendly hotel, probably not suited to young people looking to party as it could be pretty quite. But that was exactly what we wanted. As I said before, if you want that go to playa de las Americas.

Some people complained that faeces were found in the pool. Bear in mind this must have been left by one of the guests. When it was pointed out to the staff I can assure you it was cleaned very quickly. The pool was salt water and very warm (except when it was being cleaned). We never had problems getting sunbeds as there were always plenty available. There was also a spa which we were given complimentary tickets to visit which was very enjoyable.

El Madano is on a part of the coast where it is always very windy and is a windsurfers paradise. I also found this pleasant as it kept the humidity and temperature down to pleasant levels.

There was a shortage of staff and being served could take some time but we quickly found that using both of the two bars open during the evening meant we rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes. The management also assured us they were recruiting more staff to overcome this. The bar staff were very busy during peak times but always remained polite and friendly.

The food was extremely good. I don't know where one reviewer got the idea bacon and eggs were restricted to two rashers of bacon and two eggs per person. There was a good range of other self service food so you didn't have to queue if you didn't want to. You could have as much as you wanted. There were some queues but as the food was cooked to order I don't see how this could be avoided. There was a good choice each day, always a selection between a fish course, a meat course, pizza, pasta, curry, stew etc. There was also a good selection of cold meats, cheeses, soups and salad. On the occasion that they did run out of bread rolls I just asked the staff for more and it was sorted. Drinks were self service apart from the wine which you had to request form the waiting staff. You could help yourself to as much beer, soft drinks and coffee as you wanted while the restaurant was open.

The rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. The hotel in general was very clean. One problem was the constant wind which did mean that rubbish people couldn't be bothered to put in the bins was blown around. The pool area was cleaned regularly (I think everyday but as the day wore on sand from the beach did blow in).

All in all I thought this was a very good hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it to other visitors. I thought it was extremely good value for an all inclusive hotel and I think we spent more on the air fares getting out there than on the hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2008

A bit disappointing

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Have just returned from a week's holiday at the Arena's del mar beach and spa hotel, Tenerife. We travelled with our children and grand children so we were a large party of 15. On arrival the hotel looked a bit drab from the outside- very grey- and as we got out of our taxis the wind took our breath away.(it never eased off). The reception area though was very pleasant and welcoming as were the reception staff. We were quite late on arrival so the receptionist told us to go to the dining room and book in later, which was great as we were all tired and hungry. The restaurant seemed a bit dis-organised, nobody to show us to a table, not enough cutlery and glasses, and no table service whatsoever, but we thought it was just because we were late. We soon realised after a day or so, that this was how it was and it never got any better. The food was nice, but very limited. Our daughter is a vegetarian and only on 2 occasions was there anything suitable for her, apart from pizza and salad.
When we were allocated our rooms, we were pleasantly surprised. They were lovely and very spacious. Our 2 older sons and their families had 1 bedroom suites and we had a 2 bedroom suite with our younger children. They were bright and modern and kept very clean and couldn't be faulted.

The pool area, as we found the next morning was ok, but quite small compared to other hotels we have been to previously and not that attractive, and the wind was so strong , it made sunbathing hard work. Everything had to be pinned down. However, the pool was lovely and warm (bath temperature, it was just hard to get out) After 2 days the heating was turned off and it was freezing, particularly with the wind factor. After questioning reception it was turned back on, great for another couple of days, but then turned back off again.

According to the hotel staff, it is always windy in this area and is a popular location for windsurfers.

The hotel got very busy at times and clearly didn't have enough staff to provide a good service, although they worked very hard. There was never more than 1 person behind the bar, regardless of the time of day, and they performed all duties ( serving, cleaning, collecting glasses, etc) consequently you had to queue for a drink at least 20 minutes on average in the evening. This caused quite a bit of bad feeling, as the all inclusive service stopped at 11pm. It seemed unfair to be charged for your drinks when you had been queueing from 10.30.
The entertainment was great if you liked bingo, although the prize was a free bottle of wine (well at least you didn't have to queue) We were there for a week and only saw 2 shows.

It was lovely to spend a week in the sun (and wind) with our family and we do holiday abroad at least 3 times a year, but we wouldn't return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of September 2008

Allegedly a 4* All Inclusive! It's not worthy of 4 stars!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Myself and my partner (as well as numerous other guests) believe this hotel has misrepresented itself as a 4 star all inclusive hotel.

Before you read some of the areas I have highlighted below, please take into consideration that between myself and my partner we have holidayed in Tenerife for over 20 years without a single complaint. Never have either of us before been compelled to write a letter of complaint. The hotel is atrocious and the dire service, attitude and rudeness is not a reflection of its newness, it is a reflection of extremely poor management and what we can only deem as ridiculous cost saving initiatives. Never, in all of the countries we have visited (including Tenerife) have we been treated so appallingly.

All Inclusive

- Refer also please to the Hotel Service section.
- The service received by all inclusive guests was outright dire, coupled with a severe shortage of personnel:-o Precedence was given by restaurant and bar staff to guests who were not all inclusive; hotel staff did their utmost to avoid eye contact with those wearing the ‘all inclusive band’ and would serve ‘paying’ guests first, which at all times resulted in up to a 45 minute wait to obtain any sort of beverage, and, nine times out of ten, resulted in ‘all inclusive’ guests missing the cut off time for all inclusive of 11:00 p.m.
- Zero consideration given to children. Bottled water (with the exception of between 4pm & 6pm) was not available outside these hours. Only highly concentrated cartoned juice or Pepsi was available to children. The ice cream refrigerator at the poolside bar was never stocked. This hotel is extremely isolated and ‘popping to the shops’ was simply not an option without hiring a car, or, as we had to resort to, hire a taxi at a cost of 70 Euros, just to get some level of ‘service’ as well as suitable refreshments with our dinner.

Restaurant
- No service – ignored by staff (other than the chef) morning, noon and night! Not once, despite our best efforts, did we get served.
- Breakfast – no fresh juice, no bottled water, no fresh fruit – children were just not high on their list of priorities. Inadequate supplies of the simplest items such as bread – once it had gone it was not restocked. Restricted to 2 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs per person which you had to queue to obtain as they were cooked to order (queues would on occasion go out the door).
- Lunch – food of a very high standard. Catered for all ages, although again, no bottled water or fresh juice (but children could at least self serve ice cream), and distinct lack of service.
- Dinner – Food again of a high standard. Although…. again, an absolute lack of service for all inclusive guests – you could not obtain a drink for ‘love nor money’. Lager was on tap (drastically watered down) but not everyone drinks lager……. Especially a 7 year old and a tea totaller! So again, distinct lack of refreshments including water, fresh juice, tea or coffee.

Pool Side Bar
- Never opened at the scheduled time of 10:00 am and closed early. When the pool side bar did eventually open, the bar person would immediately commence clearing the debris left from the previous day. (please see enclosed photographs). This would continue even if you would stand there waiting to place an order.
- Precedence was given to ‘paying customers’. In the time we spent at this hotel (which was not at full capacity) our shortest wait time was 25 minutes.
- Bar staff were rude, ignorant and did everything they could to avoid eye contact. They would eventually take your order, disappear out back, return, potter over a few more things and then pour the Pepsi cola!!!
- Again, children were not catered for with regards to suitable refreshments, and given the remoteness of the hotel, we were forced to quench our child’s thirst with either Pepsi cola or sugar rich condensed syrup juice – absolutely dire – water was only available for 2 hours (see below).
- As previously mentioned, between the hours of 4pm and 6pm, bottled water was made available, if, as an all inclusive guest, you were prepared (which we were) to stand in a queue for an age (and do please bare in mind that there were only a maximum of 30-40 guests at any one time by the pool), you were then restricted to 2 bottles of 0.5L water – well, we were a family of 3! The queues were absolutely not necessary – guests were simply ignored whilst the bar person pottered about. We have never ever, experienced such outright rudeness (aka cost saving initiatives).

Hotel Service

Distinct lack of!
General
- Upon arrival and upon departure no concierge/porter assistance
- Only one person on reception at all times, thus always a queue.
- Daily room cleaning extremely poor – balcony was never cleaned of debris as a result of the high winds
- Storage in our ‘junior suite’ was non existent! Hence we did not even unpack. Our child’s bed was a settee which we had to make safe to ensure he did not roll out onto the hard floor.
- No facilities to purchase water etc – refer to ‘All Inclusive’ section
- Severe shortage of hotel personnel – refer to ‘All Inclusive’ section
- No ambience! No smiles. No “Ola”, no smiles, no flowers, no music except for pool side (and even then see comments below….!).

Pool
- On two occasions my partner had to request that the music be changed at the poolside due to its offensive nature. 6 minutes at one stage of a rapper repeatedly shouting “I don’t give a F right now”. This was absolutely unacceptable – our child was not the youngest by far and the repetitiveness of this particular compilation CD was simply inappropriate.
- Cleanliness of poolside area was dire. The location of the hotel enjoys high winds and therefore rubbish not cleared away just whips in and around the pool, and for the unfortunate few, straight in your face! (Please see enclosed photographs).
- Pool side towels were never available at 10:00 a.m. as informed – the spa personnel were simply never around to issue them. On our last day at the hotel, upon leaving the pool at 4pm, the towels were still not available for collection.
- On one occasion when faeces was discovered in the pool, it took two requests to reception and an hour and a half for a member of staff to come and inspect the pool – let alone arrange for it to be cleaned! Hotel guests were left to inform others not to swim. Pool maintenance chap eventually came at 19:30pm to clean the pool. (Please see enclosed photographs).

Hotel Entertainment
- Absolutely no ambience! No soft background music – everywhere was brightly lit – the bar had the world’s most uncomfortable chairs I’ve experienced, only one member of bar staff and sky sports on TV! Yes, even at 11pm………. Serious lack of ambience or a clever cost saving initiative – we were so bored we went to bed! The outcome they expect perhaps?
- Well, a chap dressed as Charlie Chaplin, walking between guests at the bar area will never cease to amaze me – entertainment? On two other evenings 2 x 40 minute acts were mediocre in entertainment value, although I personally missed one in its entirety whilst waiting to be served at the bar…….
- Two pool tables were provided for children – although not lit at night so unable to utilise. During day light hours these were in direct sun with no shade provided.

I tried unsuccessfully to address these issues whilst in Tenerife; I did eventually, despite the best efforts of Reception to ‘fob me off’, meet with the Hotel’s Manager to express our utter dissatisfaction and disappointment, the Manager accepted a lot of my points and admitted that his staff would work if he was there (watching) - but when he wasn't......................! (And yes I did point out that perhaps he should take a subtle hint from what he had just said)

Although given everything I have just said - the Water Polo game every morning was a hoot! at times it resembled a mixture of rugby and wrestling :O) and fun was had by all (even the teenage lads that were constantly dunked and splashed by the adults came back for more the next day)

Would I stay there again? - NO

Would I recommend the hotel to anyone? – NO"

• Travel date: Sun 31st of August 2008

Don't trust the 4 star rating

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Good location, constant wind keeps you cool all day unlike other resorts just down the road. The small beach is OK. Restaurant serves fish and chops at every meal, vegatables alway cold as is the ocassional piella . You need to trip up the waitors to get a glass of wine or any food to be topped up on the buffet.

Two days no lemonade in the hotel, 2 days no coke, 1 day no bottled water. The entertainment and kids club closes for 2 days. 2 nights of the remaing 5 are bingo for which you can win a bottle of wine (you could get one for free in the restaurant).

The staff are inattentive as they are understaffed, the record time for waiting for a drink at the bar was 30 minutes.

We have stayed at the 3* Isla Bonita all inclusive which knocks spots off this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of August 2008

Hotels near Kn Hotel Arenas Del Mar Beach & Spa

Top traveller tips for Kn Hotel Arenas Del Mar Beach & Spa

• April M by April M

"Visit the town for the local market on a Saturday, great for presents. "

• Ibo H by Ibo H

"cold, not able to use sea, very far from city and seaside, would not recommend "

• David Warren by David Warren

"Do not allow non paying guests to over run the hotel. "

Kn Hotel Arenas Del Mar Beach & Spa is also called