Hotel Playa Real

Avenida Moscu 11, 38670 Costa Adeje, Adeje, Tenerife Spain

holiday from hell

Reviewed Sat 28th of March 2009

"well what can i say food was great weater very hot. rest of it was hell. what you read is true barbra did not want to help at all. i have wrote to first choice and they dont want to help me but i will never go back to this hotel my 5 year old had no shade we had no parasols as we was on the apartment side. we stayed this side as the other side was full of older kids and i did not think it was safe for young children to go in to. and the pool bar at the rear was closed most of the time we was there. we had to walk to other side to get our drinks wich was thought the hotel. i have now gone to abta to help as this can not carry on like this . we was not the only ones who have had this prob. the kids club was great. it just seemed like if you had a apartment behind the hotel you was left out and they did not want to help you at all. there was a lot of us who spoke to the mamager and he did not want to help us. we just wanted to go home and i am so glade when we did get home. i have gone with first choice for many many years. and i will not go with them again as they just seem they dont want to help me. i payed just over £2000 for a week here for a family of 4. i could go on more but most people on here say it all holiday from hell "

• Travel date: Sat 28th of March 2009

New Year Eve Stay??

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We were booked into the Ocean Resort for the New Years 2008/Jan 2009. When we arrived at the hotel we were informed that there was no availability as the rooms we destroyed due to bad weather, we stood our ground and demanded to see the rooms that were destroyed? They didn't show us these rooms but eventually they found rooms for us. The hotel seemly has changed hands during the summer and I have to say that I would definitely say it was not very suitable for children of Irish or UK families as the hotel is more geared at the German Market. The staff was not very friendly. The New Year Eve Party cost us 150 euros for 2a&2c the food looked lovely but a poor selection for kids and the ball was disgraceful a group of kids doing the entertainment, wish was again very poor. All local beer only. The Irish Bar was in name only, it was far from the craic of an Irish Bar also a very dark and boring bar. The disco bar was also as bad. The only thing going for the hotel was it was clean. We would get taxi's down to Playa de las America for a bit of life. We were later informed that this was low season and many of the places were closed. The local shop which was poorly stocked no factors, bread or goodies for the kids. I wouldn't recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of March 2009

Not the best

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"My family and I have just returned from a weeks break here, when we first arrived we thought wow what a lovely place to stay and it was lovely very clean and the rooms were well equiped, with a bedroom and kitchenette, bathroom and living room with two sofa beds. The pools were nice and there was a park on each side of the hotel for little children. the weather was lovely and warm we didn't really have a bad day. The only thing I can complain about is that on 31st October 2008 the hotel changed hands and it is now a German hotel, everything from the entertainment to the menu were in German, there was a bar in the hotel where there was an english girl doing a karaoke but that was the same evey night and although the hotel was all inclusive once the dinner was over at 9pm there was nothing else available to eat no snack bars there were only vending machines. The bar closed at 11:45pm. The staff were friendly but most of them only spoke German. It was a lovely hotel but I wouldn't go back ."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of February 2009

Boring Hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Arrived home last night after staying for a week. We were staying in the Nogul apartments which were cleaned every day, fresh towels every day and sheets changed twice a week. The downside was it has been taken over by Alltours which i German through and through. The animation team spoke very little English and were pretty hopeless. No rifle shooting, darts, killer pool etc. They had a game of shuffleboard one day and water aerobics another day but very disappointing. One afternoon they came round with Connect Four and a compendium of games, how exciting can they get. The evening entertainment wasn't up to much either at the showbar where most of the Germans went to and the Irish bar had a female singer on 6 nights a week but even she didn't put a lot of effort into it as it was the same songs every night but she managed to do a game of bingo one night. its usually 3 star we go but this did not come anywhere near to that, (which is supposed to be 4 star). The food selection got better as the week went on but not a variety like some of the hotels we've been to."

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2009

You must read this (The Chester's Rotherham)

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I have never submitted a review prior to this, but I feel a sense of duty to all none German speaking, Ant hating, Thief loathing people like myself to do so.

I took my family of four away for Christmas and new year, and chose this hotel because its description ticked all the boxes. we even have friends that had stayed at this hotel in August prior to our arrival on December 23rd 2008. On arrival at the hotel and against our request made during the booking of this holiday, we were placed in the Nogul Beach Apartments which is at best a 1/2 Star annex at the rear of the advertised 4 Star Ocean Palace Resort hotel of which lovely pictures are plastered all over the internet and in various holiday brochures. once it was explained to me that the one bedroom apartments were in the Nogul Beach, and to stay in the Ocean Palace, I should have booked a Suite, I realized that the mix up was with my Travel Agent, and nothing to do with the very helpful and apologetic hotel reception staff.
As I mentioned earlier this is the first review I have submitted, so I will keep it short and to the point In the hope that people take note of it, so please consider the following points before you choose this accommodation.

We and many other travelers were in apartments infested with tiny brown ants.

Many travelers had money stolen from their rooms,and were told not to worry as they should have taken insurance out for this type of incident prior to traveling, and refused to take the matter further. You need to use the Safe Deposit in the room at 2 Euro's 50 per day its worth every penny.

{This is a very important point)
In November2008, First Choice were either thrown out, or they dropped this hotel, either way they no longer have any dealings with it.

Because of this I would say that about 95% of all the people including animation crew at this hotel during our stay were German, and their is nothing to indicate that this will change.

To the best of my knowledge not one of the animation crew spoke to anyone other than those from Germany, let alone invite us to participate in any of the activities. A polite hello in pigeon German now and again would have been a slight reward for my constant and improving attempts at German.

The entertainment is very poor to say the very least, and our kids were totally left out. Despite the efforts of some of our kids, the Germans tend to stick to themselves.

A game of Pool will cost you 2 Euros / £2.

If you are unfortunate to experience the odd day of rain as we did, be prepared, this hotel is like a sieve and many people were moved to other accommodation.

This hotel is prone to overbooking, and many people were shipped out to other accommodation on arrival.

There are some positives for this hotel.
The Main Ocean Palace Complex Is very good
The food is very good.
The best Full English Breakfast I have had abroad.
The Pool layout is good, and heated in winter.
The Spanish staff at this hotel are very polite helpful and friendly.
Quarter Pounders at snack time beside the pool are very tasty, but be careful, any more than one order at a time and the chef loses it big time, this guy can't multi task, but he is a nice bloke.
One or two of the Germans were quite pleasant.
And due to the very few English acting like typical English, we made the most of the situation and many new friends.

You would be very naive to expect to arrive at a hotel in Tenerife that does not have varied Nationalities within it, It is after all a very popular winter destination, I just wish they would all play ball.

Fortunately for the very polite, helpful, and friendly staff the majority of English suffer in silence and make do, unfortunately other nationalities don't. And for this reason we will not be going back to the Ocean Palace."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of January 2009

ocean palace resort

Reviewed Sun 4th of January 2009

"having read several bad review before going i was in two minds whether to cancel or change resorts. I would say this is more a 3* not 4* hotel as advitised, the food was first class with plenty of choice, and the christmas gala dinner was exceptional.The hotel has recently been taken over by a german company therfore the only entertainment for the british guests was during the evening in the irish bar which had karaoke, which is not our cup of tea therefore we found ourselves going out most evenings therefore defeating being AI. I would return to Tenerife but would not choose this hotel again."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of January 2009

Best Holiday ever

Reviewed Sat 15th of November 2008

"We stayed at the Ocean Palace in Sep, when we first read the reviews we were to say the least in two minds whether to cancel. What a huge mistake it would of been we had an absolutely fantastic holiday. Our hotel room was cleaned every day fresh towels every day and clean bedding every other day. The food was really good, yes there was chips every day but there was other potato dishes too!!!! You dont have to have chips you can choose something else. The staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and a few of them had a real sense of humour. The pool was cleaned, they even emptied one of the pools during our stay then refilled it with clean water. The Kids club Reps were really COOL!!!! Still in contact with most of them now, they were an AMAZING Bunch, and they all got the patience of a saint because there were a few nowty children in the club. The Entertainment Staff were Excellent they had most people up and dancing most nights. Al in all it was one of the BEST Holidays we have ever been on. The weather did help because even though it was late in the year it was still very HOT. But i firmly believe it had a lot to do with how we were looked after by the Hotel, The Reps and the Entertainment Staff. Well Done to you all."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of November 2008

be aware

Reviewed Wed 12th of November 2008

"came back 11/11/08 didn't realise until got there, it is now german run,very little entertainment very little translation, very disappointed, been before and was impressed. rooms in nogel area not good, faulty and reception werent that interested.food worth it staff very friendly. overall holiday good but will never go their again. heard on 10/11/08 thomson had pulled out.

hope this helps."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of November 2008

Beware of Theft in Ocean Resort Hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of November 2008

"I wanted to forwarn everyone we had £420 GBP stolen from my handbag in the wardrobe - there was no sigh of break in
Make sure you hire a safe !!!!!!!!
A big lesson learnt by us - glad I changed £100 GBP to go up the mount Teide or pos another £100 pound would have been stolen.
Manager at 1st would not speak with me but I wanted to make him aware that someone is thieving out of the rooms, he said he has to leave it to police investigation, he wasn't too bothered!!
Also German entertainment took over from 1st Nov -On Tues a man on stage naked with 2 hats, covering his front bits and backside is discusting with my 6year old daughter in the showbar, We made a sharp exit and we complained to be told after 9.30 it is adult entertainment !!No notices in English to forwarn of this vulgar show!!!

• Travel date: Thu 6th of November 2008

First Choice staff were Fantastic.

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"It is not all as bad as others make out. We spent a fortnight here, not expecting to be in the Nogal annexe but were so had to make the most of it, It was cleaned daily but very basic apartment, had myself, husband, 15 yr old son and 8 yr old daughter all in 1 bed apt supposed to b 2. The sitting area was 2nd bedroom not comfy as a seat or bed that is my main complaint,As for the food, we were all inc and it did get a bit boring but usually something for everybodys taste. Location is great if you want peaceful hols away from busy Las Americas but close enough to walk if you want night life. Entertainment was great for families very varied and the usual childrens disco,bingo,and quizzes as well as outside entertainment brought in. Sunbeds were a bit silly with a few reserved at midnight (english towels not other nationalities)most nights. The hotel was lovely but it is not first choice operating things now as they all left for other places on our last day it has been taken over by a german tour operator so i think changes are inevitable. All in all a great hol met some lovely people who also had a great time."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of November 2008

not an experience to be repeated

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"after reading recent reviews we did wonder what we were going to....it was not quite as bad as some reviews in that the apartments were very clean, cleaned daily with clean towels and linen twice weekly. However we booked the ocean palace resort not the annexe we were shoved into, this was not made clear when the holiday was booked!
if we had wanted to stay in a second class ANNEXE we would have booked that
the restaurant ...and I am being generous calling it a restaurant could only be compared to a bad Pontins experience and after being ill after eating there we stopped eating at the hotel
the pool area was shabby and run down very much in need of an upgrade- many chipped tiles and wobbly steps in the pool
a member of staff walked about with a life guard top on but never sat at the pool !
shades and parasols- in a time of being urged to take care in the sun - very difficult as there was a distinct lack of them, perhaps ten in the whole place - all with spokes and the like hanging put - disgusting!

definitely not a place we would recommend and will not return to"

• Travel date: Mon 27th of October 2008

cleanist hotel ever!!!

Reviewed Tue 21st of October 2008

"me and my husband stayed for a week for our 1st anniversary, it was a last minute booking and i'm so glad that we went.
On arriving the hotle looked amazing, and it certainly lived up to it's first impressions. Like so many people i was a little unsure as i had read very bad reviews, all i can say is that people must just love to find faults. I could find one!!

We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment. It's was massive! The room was so clean, a really big lounge and kitchen area (even though we were all inclusive), the beds were really comfy and a large wardrobe(it could fit all of my clothes amnd shoes, and there were also room for my husbands), the balcony was really big with 4 chairs, a table and 2 sun loungers.

the restaurant was really nice, clean and tidy. The staff couldn't do enough for you. There were always plenty of set tables ( it didn't matter what time you ate), the choice was amazing such a wide choice never having the same meal more than once, through the day snacks were served from 11am - 6pm aswell as lunch at the open air restaurant by the main pool. Ice cream was available all day, and there were water coolers at the side of each pool aswell as in the bars and restaurants.

The pools were really clean, always plenty of sun loungers, lots of different activities to do, the pool was a little cold but that was nice to cool down.

There wee plenty of activities for the children and some adult activities. The kids club staff were fantastic and got everyone of all ages to join in.

There were plenty of outings to go on. We went to loro park and saw dolphin shows - this was a fantastic day ou. We also hired a small bat and went to see the dolphins and whales, this is not advised for small children but there are bigger boats that pams can be taken on. The hotel even provide picnic if you are going to be out all day.

I really cannot fault anything!!! i really enjoyed it and we are going back next year with our daughter, as i know that it is very clean and to a very high standard. The only thing i would say is even if it is cloudy, make sure to put sun cream on. My husband didn't and got sun burnt pretty bad, this is because its very druy hart from the sahara dessert. This holiday was 100% fantastic!"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of October 2008

Hotels near Hotel Playa Real

Stayed at Hotel Playa Real? Share your insight.