playa pocillos

Reviewed Sun 12th of October 2008

"me and my hubby stayed in these apartments they were fantastic they were very clean and tidy,they was cleaned daily and the cleaners were very friendly,the food from the on site cafe was 100% no complaints at all ,it was a 10 min walk to the beach which was lovely.we would recommend these apartments to anyone and we defo be goin bac ,great x"

• Travel date: Sun 12th of October 2008

Before we went on holiday I checked out...

Reviewed Sun 1st of June 2008

"Before we went on holiday I checked out this website to find out whether it was worth the money i was paying and Im so pleased I did.... This holiday exceeded all my expectations, I had the most wonderful time, meet some great people. The hotel its self was the cleanest I've been to in a while, every morning one man was out cleaning the pool and the maids came every day and made sure our room was spotless. The people from reception/bar/restaurant were so freindly even though they were not English they made so much of an effort and that is so nice to find. I would recommend this hotel an Island in its self to anyone, that wanted a chilled out beautiful holiday..... we hope to return next summer...."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of June 2008

We've just got back from a week in Lanza...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"We've just got back from a week in Lanzarote and after all the reports that I had read about 'on the beach', I was dreading it.

No need, everything went as smooth as clock work. We didn't get charged any extra like some people had.

We walked straight out of the airport, into a taxi, we was there in minutes. The apartments are nice, clean, spacious and the grounds are well looked after, the only down side, was obviously the planes coming and going, but that stopped at 9ish, but more often than not you forgot they was there.

Would I do it again, yes, but I would try somewhere different, I'm not 1 of these people that keep going back to the same country, so watch out for my report next year."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Better than expected

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We have just returned from our week at the Pocillos Playa Hotel and Spa and after reading other reviews we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is situated just a short taxi ride from the airport and costs less than 10 euros, make sure you ask for the hotel as the taxi drivers still want to take you to the apartments in Matagorda. We arrived just before lunch and luckily one of our two room was ready so we unpacked and then made our way to lunch. The food was the most disappointing part of the holiday, as others have stated the food is not great, but if you like salad that is a good option for lunch. Both lunch and dinner feature similar menus of salads, four hot dishes and some kind of freshly cooked meat which was OK if you had it straight from the griddle. Don't expect any fancy desserts, its fresh or tinned fruit, tiny containers of icecream or some kind of luminous mousse. All drinks come from machines, having fresh tea and coffee would be a great improvement, couldn't wait to get home and have a decent cuppa. Eating out is not expensive so we did this on a couple of occasions. The most annoying thing about the bar is the tiny plastic cups for your drinks, best to get several beers in one go. Drinks are basic and the cocktails come ready mixed from a drinks machine - not nice. Rooms are excellent, huge and cleaned to high standard each day, we had one away from the pool area on the higher level which was great. There are are now plenty of staff and we found them all to be chatty and helpful. The swimming pool looks very inviting and is spotlessly clean but regretably, even in the middle of July, the water was very cold, although this didn't put the children off. We never had a problem getting a sunbed, even if we went to the pool late morning or the afternoon which made a welcome change from most hotel we have stayed in. We took two teenagers and they spent hours in there, nothing much else for them to do. Gym - don't bother, Mini club - we didn't use it but others said it was OK for a short period of time but not a great deal for the kids to do. The Spa is open but we didn't use it and there is no sign of any squash courts. All in all a nice hotel to wind down for a week but I wouldn't want to stay any longer."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

what a shame

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"[email protected] barnsley what a shame four of us stayed here on the 10th of june for 2 weeks our first impressions were well this is quite nice considering what we had read before we went staff freindly hotel small but clean nice position the first week the food excellent ok the bar was a snack bar but this didnot put us off we went out everynight dont know what went wrong but the food the second week was disgusting when we complained was told the chef had gone on holiday there was a incident which was not delt with good enough the people who were there will know what we are on about do not purchase a safe if you want to keep you money the place was quiet music off bar shut light off 11pm which is excellent if you want to chill carmen is close and night life galore if you want it we didn't stay round the pool we love the beach which is a short walk away but if we had wanted to go round the pool we had no chance of a bed on arrival people placed their towels on the beds and they stayed there until departure will never call germans again all in all if the hotel had offered the same food the second week we would have considered going back because the location is excellent but if you ended up with the same food for a full fortnight well i dread to think"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of July 2007

had a lot better

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"we went to pocillos playa hotel for a week, where do i start, right, the good news. the hotel itself was very clean and tidy tne rooms very nice and the staff all though in short supply were very nice and hard working, thats the good news. right, mediland ! total waste of time, tried contacting them several times only to be put through to answer machine every time. the food was hit and miss, warm ups usually, not much choice. dont pay for the safe,the comination is 33 or 55 then your room number, savng 21 euros not very safe! the entertainment was non existant, there was a guy called big al who was the entertainments guy but all he seemed to do was prop up the bar. the sunbeds, put a towel on and dont take it off till you go home, thats how it works there. overall had a good holiday but hotel not equiped to be an all inclusive"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Could do better

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I went to the Playa Club & Spa hotel between 13 and 20 May 2007 after having read some dreadful reviews - after I'd booked! The check in was quick & efficient and the room, upper one overlooking the pool was lovely - big, clean & cool. I would not have been happy had I been put into a room not round the pool, of which there are many. The rooms were cleaned every day & bedding changed half way through the week.
The food, being vegetarian, was pretty poor but I wasn't really that bothered as we were only there for a week. I agree with one of the other reviewers who said that you could drink quite a lot and not feel any effect.
The bar was just a counter but the staff were quite friendly, although there were not many of them.
The 'entertainments' man (he wore the same clothes everyday!) played music round the pool for hours, it was the same 5 cd's and sometimes the same one twice - country & western and the Beatles being his favourite - he played this music far too loud, even when asked to turn it down, so much so that you couldn't hear your own personal player in your ears nor could you concentrate on your book. I have no objection to them playing the odd cd around the pool at an agreeable volume but the pool area should be for relaxing & not getting stressed with hearing the same dreary music. He also played the same cd's in the evening. One day I went in to ask to speak to a manager about this to be told that there was no-one on duty and there wouldn't be that day & possibly all week. There were no security staff so on the occasion that one horrible man got drunk & was shouting, etc there was no-one to deal with it and his partner and 3 children just looked terrified.
On a different note can I just say I was also disgusted with this couple who left their 3 children in their room alone, being just over a week after the wee girl was abducted in Portugal.
The 'gym' is an absolute joke with it being in a tiny wee room right round the back of the hotel (next to the horrible looking kids club) with the most ridiculous equipment I have ever seen - they locked this room & I think they should leave it open as there's no way any of it would be stolen.
I enjoyed my week as the weather was great, the room clean & the area to Matagorda & puerto del carmen nice to walk along the wide promenade to but would not go back to this hotel again and would think twice about booking with Medinland if this is the standard of their accomodation."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Lovely hotel, shame about the pool...

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Myself, my partner and our one year old daughter stayed at this hotel last week, all-inclusive. Considering the age of our daughter, we had a very relaxing and hitch free flight with 'VIking Airlines', a company I had never even heard of before, and we also got a free plane meal which we didnt even know about when we booked!! Leg room on the plane was appauling though.
Only a 10 Euro taxi ride from the airport so no need to book transfers in advance.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were pleasantly surprised as the room was spacious, comtemporary and very clean. It was on the ground floor overlooking the pool which was ideal as we could sunbathe right outside the room while our daughter slept in the afternoon (bliss!). The bathroom was small but perfectly formed, again very contemporary and clean. Hairdryer in the bathroom so you need not take one with you. Clean towels every day if you leave your dirty ones on the floor. Cable TV in the room but not much use as almost all the channels were in German except for Sky News and CNN (useful for keeping up to date with what's going on at home though).
Meal times were a litte late for us. Breakfast was ok at 8am-10am (although the restaurant staff are stifflers for keeping to these times as a young couple who arrived at two minutes past 10am found out!). Plenty of choice, ie. continental with rolls, pastries, croissants, jams, cheese, cold meats, various cereals, toast, fresh fruit and full english (although the baked beans were not nice!) The fruit juices at the hotel are also vile - way way too sweet, we were sure it was actually cordial so we added a lot of water to it as our daughter would undoubtedly have come home minus her four baby teeth!
Lunch was a little late at 1pm - 3pm. There was always a good selection of cold salad items and various pickles although I think these were for the benefit of the Germans! The usual meats or fish in sauces, rice and pasta dishes, two or three choices of potatoes and other vegetables. If you're a pudding person,this is not the hotel for you - choice was very poor, usually tinned fruit or icecream. If you wanted a piece of cake, which wasn't that great anyway, you needed to go to lunch early as everyone seems to go for that.
Dinner (7pm - 9pm) was similar to lunch, apart from there was also a grill area where a chef cooked meat and fish from fresh in front of you. This was particularly tasty, lovely chicken and steaks etc. There was also soup available but this was way too salty. Puddings a disappointment, like at lunch. Everything is self-service and you just sit where you like every mealtime.
Amenites at the hotel are average. I must say that the pool is ridiculously cold, no form of heating whatsoever. Even the tiny baby pool was freezing, which was a big disappointment as we would of liked our daughter to be able to go swimming. There was also the problem of fighting for the sunbeds - both English and German people were putting the towels out before breakfast and if you couldn't beat em you had to join them! The spa facility was due to open the day we left (typical) but I don't know if it did or not. It was supposed to open end of march but hey, that's Spanish builders for you.
The entertainment programme catered mainly for children. We didnt take part in any daytime activities, it was all very laid back and there was no pressure to participate. The evening entertainment could have been better - very low key. There was a mini disco for the kids at 8.30pm for 30 mins which we took our daughter to and after that it was either bingo or a rather cheesy singer with a keyboard. Apparently there was also Karaoke but we didn't stay up for that. The bar and entertainment ended at 11pm which some people found was a little early. The measurements of spirits at the bar were extremely generous, and these were proper international brands, as were all the soft drinks ie proper Coca-Cola, Fanta etcThere is only the one bar, it is very small, under-manned and the 'snacks' available throughout the day left a little to be desired (dry sandwiches/croissants). Pizza was available in the afternoons, although not every day.
All in all, I think this is a good hotel for the money you pay to stay there. To be honest, it is a little understaffed - I only counted 6 employees, not including the cleaners, and they work extremely hard rushing here, there and everywhere whilst remaining very polite, friendly and helpful. The hotel is only 6 months old so there are still some initial teething probems but I think that once these have been sorted out, anyone who stays at this hotel should have an enjoyable holiday so long as they are not overly fussy eaters and do not like a lively evening entertainment programme."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of April 2007

Lets get the facts

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"This is for the Pocillos Playa HOTEL not the apartments.
We stayed here over easter, four adults and two rooms.

Positive things
Rooms large for two adults
Balconies/patios
Everywhere Clean
reception area lovely/large/clean
Pool area well kept
Maid service daily
Breakfast/lunch best meals plenty of fresh salad/pickles/breads
Los Pocillios itself is a nice area with a few bars/restaurants around it
3 euros to go to the main parts
11 euros to the airport for 4 people

Negative things
Some staff very rude and grumpy!!!
Evening meals were like a cattle market and cold (we stopped eating their at night and ate at the Mucky Duck pub down the road--very nice)
The sad ENGLISH (not German) people put their towels on the sunbeds as early as 7.30am (I watched them from my room) and there was no way enough sunbeds for the hotel size.
The hotel does not seem to be able to cope with how busy it is getting eg not enough food, bar service rubbish etc
Pool is freezing and parents beware that the pool is 5ft all the way round!
Spa not finished.
We could drink the local beer/wine/spirts on all inclusive all day and all night and not be drunk (I will let you decide why)!!

We had a really cheap deal to this hotel so the all inclusive bit did not matter to us as we went out.
We relaxed by the pool in the day, ate breakfast and lunch there, drank beer then went out at night. So it was perfect for my family and I.
But if you want to stay by the pool all day, have the entertainment (!)and be in the hotel all night especially with kids I think you will be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of April 2007

Absolutely Superb... Go Now.

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We travelled as a group of 4 adults to the Pocillos Playa and Spa at the end of March... I've been to 25 hotels in 3 years now (I'm a travel agent) and this is the most emmaculate hotel I've stayed in. It's brand new and it's not got a spec of dust on it.

The rooms are a generous size and they have self controlled air con. Try and get a pool view as well as it just adds that extra touch.

The entertainment in the evening was mainly for kids which is quite entertaining for the adults inadvertantly as the entertainment guys are really enthusiastic which is never bad thing.

The beach is about a minutes walk away from the hotel and both old town and new town centres are baout 5 mins walk either way.

All the staff are great, they seem to really enjoy working there and always greet you with a smile... especially Christian on reception who always makes an effort.

The food gives you good choice. It covers all the basics whilst making an effort for vegetarians and fussy eaters. There is a bit of blandness to some of the food but that could be said with any Spanish hotel.

The pool is quite cold but when it's 30 degrees thats only a good thing. The sun lounger area is a good size. This hotel will cost a lot more to visit in a few years time. I think the main thing that impresssed me over the course of the whole week was my missus didnt moan once.... that is testament itself!!!!!

Anyone who thinks this hotel has anything wrong with it is absolutely bonkers.

Medinland did a great job of the whole holiday process as well.

In summary....

HOTEL = GOOD
PUERTO DEL CARMEN = GOOD

Give a try and you won't regret."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of April 2007

Ultimate Relaxation!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Just come back from an all inclusive week here with my wife and it was lovely.

DO NOT CONFUSE WITH THE POCILLOS PLAYA APARTMENTS.

HOTEL: Only 64 rooms. Recently refurbished - everything is lovely and clean. Beds are super comfortable. We had an upstairs room (the hotel is only ground floor plus 1st floor) witha view over the pool and out to the sea beyond. Communual areas and bars are finished in lovely marble and give a real sense of class to the whole establishment. Only 100m from the beach front at Pocillos with it's small number of shops/bars, but only a short Bus/Taxi ride or nice 4ish mile walk into Puerto Del Carmen Centre along the newly developed promenade.

FOOD: Self Serve buffet for all meals. Good for a hotel of this size. As it seems to cater mainly for German clientel prepare for serious amount of pickled stuff. Fish is plentyful on the menu. Due to the limited number of meals they can prepare for (I guess about 200 max) the choice is limited but adequate. All food is well cooked, but sometimes not kept particularly hot on the buffet. Roast carvery twice whilst we were there and meat/fish grilled there in front of you in the restaraunt twice also. Lack of regular veggie options...

BAR: small, but adequate, serving local beer & spirits, soft drinks, sangria and tea and coffee. Also freshly prepared daily sandwickes, cakes, pizza etc. to keep you going between meals! Bar staff sometimes 'missing' off doing other duties but no real issues with helping yourself.

OTHER FACILITIES: Courtesy Luggage Room, 2 internet enabled PCs for general use. Organised activities, Mini Golf, Darts, soon to open SPA...

STAFF: Lovely - all of them. A gesture of using Spanish brings them out of their shells completely. They all work really hard and seem to enjoy where and who they work for.

Overall I'm torn between 4 and 5 stars - Probably 4.5 but only because of the food. If you're not veggie and love fish and pickles (like us) then it's definitely a 5 otherwise a 4."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2007

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We were worried what we were going to as this holiday was so cheap for the three fo us. We need not have worried as this hotel is excellent considering we payed just over £600 for and all inclusive week!

The Pocillos Playa is spotlessly clean and the staff and friendly and very helpful. The food on the whole is excellent with too much choice however the cooked breakfast was always tepid and very very greasy. My 7 year old son was in his element as he could choose his food himself and keep going back for more! Soft drinks, Beer and spirits are avaliable from 11am till late and you just go and help yourself! The evening entertainment is suitably cheesy starting with a 1/2 hr mini disco for the children. Edmundo the entertainments man works tirelessly to keep both adults and kids busy if thats what you want. But dont worry you are not hassled to get involved! The pool area is excellent for lounging around but small children will need to be watched as the pool is 5ft deep everywhere!

All in all this is an excellent hotel for the price you will pay and well worth a visit. We are going back in May for more sunshine and relaxation!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of February 2007