Good

Never again with Jetline or this Hotel

Reviewed Mon 23rd of May 2011

"The booking with Jetline started badly as the holiday cost was inaccurate in their advertising and more than doubled due to 'hidden' extras and various other excuses for the rising cost. Despite complaining to them the day after booking (they shared card details to the airline without our consent) we received no satisfaction. The told us we till had a 'cheap' holiday and they hoped we enjoyed it. On arrival at the hotel we had to wait approximately 15 minutes for someone to attend reception to check us in (approximately 10 people from the same flight). On going to the restaurant for breakfast there was a notice up advising that each guest was entitled to 1 drink only - and this was from a machine! When we went in for dinner (booked as half board)the first night, as I have to have a gluten free diet I asked which items were suitable, this received a shoulder shrug from restaurant staff and nothing else. The 2nd day the food was not only similar to the day before but exactly the same and mostly nearly cold (even when not supposed to be). The food overall was abysmal. From here on in we ate out, adding to the cost of the holiday. Bed linen was only changed weekly - I suppose we were lucky it was clean on arrival. There was a notice up advising that towels would only be changed if left IN the bath. The hotel was also very noisy, resulting in us getting very little sleep as the noise continued into the wee small hours. In summary this hotel left a lot to be desired in both quality and staff helpfulness. I would never again stay at this hotel or book anything with Jetline Travel. "

• Travel date: Sat 21st of May 2011

Not quite 4*

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Bungalow we stayed in was very spacious and clean although two of the lights and three of the lamps did not work. The hotel grounds were beautiful and clean and hotel reception helpful.
The hotel states that the pool is heated but it was not. Freezing cold so did not get in passed my ankles. Children were braver but would come out shaking with the cold. Food was not 4*! Always the same every day for lunch and dinner. Very little on offer for children. The Animacion team were good trying to keep everyone happy as the weather was not good!
Generally we had a good break the weather spoilt it the most I think the hotel would be much better in the hot sunshine!!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of March 2008

not good for couples

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We stayed at this hotel as our original hotel (the sun island) was apparantly overbooked by 150 people?? The first night we got there i was dissapointed to find that our entertainment was a quiz,( this was christmas eve). I felt like crying. However the next day they had father christmas on a camel come to the hotel. This was a nice surprise for all the children. The entertainment was childrens disco every night which my 3 year old enjoyed. The later entertainment was ok i suppose. They deffinately need more bar staff only 1 on the bar day and night. The staff were very friendly. Our bungalows were tidied every day appart from a friday with clean towels to. Pool was gorgeous, very clean, but very cold. Our other hotel had heated pools, so this was dissapointing. The food was ok a good variety of different meats and fish every night. but i found it to be luke warm. I would not reccomend this hotel to couples or family's with older children. We did enjoy our stay but dont think we would go there again."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of January 2008

NOT recommended for couples!

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"I have just returned from a Christmas break at Hotel Rio. Both my boyfriend and I were disappointed and felt it was poor value for money. We had paid to go to the Sun Island Aparthotel but A1 travel changed the accomodation at the last minute (I was NOT impressed). Anyway, we had no choice but to try the offered alternative i.e. Hotel Rio. It definitely does not have the feel of a four star hotel. The apartments are impressively spacious and probably worthy of a three star rating but the hotel i.e. facilities, food, entertainment is not much beyond two stars.

We went all inclusive BUT ate out at various restaurants for four out of the seven nights! I think that says it all. There was a very limited selection of food at the hotel and it was mostly stodgy and unhealthy. Even the healthy stuff tasted of disinfectant (my boyfriend couldn't stand the lettuce!) so that wasn't much better! I have now decided I am not keen on all inclusive holidays as they entail eating food that is left uncovered for ages and this doesn't really sit well with my general ideas about health and hygiene. Plus, eating a mish-mash of lukewarm food does not make for a sumptuous dining experience!!!

Anyway, in terms of facilities, the grounds of the hotel were very picturesque and the gardens were beautifully tended. The pool was big but it was very cold, so we were only brave enough to take a dip on the last day! As a couple, we felt the hotel was a bit boring because the pool was too cold for a swim and the entertainment was VERY poor for the first three days, which included Xmas Eve & Xmas day! The hotel is definitely for FAMILIES and I felt I was sitting in the middle of a creche throughout Xmas - mini-disco is not my idea of fun, especially during the festive season! Avoid Hotel Rio like the plague if you want a romantic getaway. You will just be surrounded by screaming kids and deranged entertainers doing the hokey-cokey!

All in all, definitely a great option for families, especially those with young kids, but dull for couples and young people. Choose somewhere with a bit more life, like Puerto del Carmen!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of January 2008

very good hotel

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"We enjoyed our stay, bungalows were very nice and clean. Enjoyed the food but sometimes not much choice as we went with 4 kids. Hotel has its own childrens entertainment which wasnt excellent but the kids still joined in. All staff were pleasant, but they could've done with more bar staff. We enjoyed the swimming pool and there were plenty of sunbeds, weather was brilliant. The night life at the hotel wasnt very good, there was no atmosphere which made it a bit boring. There was a mixture of people from old couples to families, and many were spanish. There wasnt many english people there.
We did enjoy our holiday there, but wouldnt go again."

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of November 2007

Had a great time

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Hl Rio Playa Blanca
We had a lovely time here. Loved the fresh fish they cooked each night my husband was happy with the steak or pork chops also freshly cooked. I have been to hotels with a bigger choice of food but what they did have was delicious. I felt a bit let down by breakfast but the pancakes were nice .You could get a nice cup of tea here as well.
The dining room was a bit cramped no space between some of the tables still you got to know your neighbour .It got a bit too hot in there too
The villas were nice and big it was nice having a cooker so you can make your own cup of tea. The rooms were cleaned every day except Friday and the sheets were changed half way through our stay. I don’t think the villas were quite 4 star the sheets were torn and our kitchen widow was falling out .Also the bathroom although large and clean needed modernising.
The pool area was lovely plenty of sun beds. The pool was heated even small children were using it.
The hotels biggest asset has to be the staff they were all really nice, the receptionist could not been more helpful the cleaners lovely, the Bar staff worked so hard but stayed cheerful the same goes for the waiters. Could have done with more bar staff there were times when the bar was left unattended especially during the day.

It is about a 15min walk down to the harbour but we found a short cut. Leave the hotel via the gate by the car park (front left of the complex) turn down the road on your left, this leads you down the side of the complex .On the opposite side of the road there is a wall when this wall ends you come to some waste ground, there is a little dirt path going through it . Go this way and its only 5mins to the harbour it’s no good from prams and a bit dodgy when you’re drunk lol"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of November 2007

Overrated

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Good points:
The place has got excellen kitchen, which is an unquestionable advantage. The meals were varied, fresh, plenty, intersting and very tasty.
Staff very friendly and always helpful.

Bad points:
You have to walk to the beach, which is not a long walk, but you have to cross a busy street with no zebra, which can be difficult if with children. Altogether the walk takes about 10 minutes.
The place is full of Italians and the whole entertaintment is in Italian.
Air conditioning is only in the bedroom.
Rooms average, quite basic.

If the hotel was rated 3*, I would have given a nice review, but for a 4* it has only got a kitchen and staff."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of August 2007

4 star ? who are they kidding

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed here from 24th June - 1st July, we have stayed in better 2+ accomodation, Food ok, lots of choice but always luke warm, never enough crockery for everyone eating which was buffet style the norm. we are used to 4 star accomodation but this was terrible, dirty, basic and ant infested, management didn't want to know, sheets never changed all week etc, the only up side was, the entertainment team were excellent, needs investment in the complex."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

lovely hotel

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Excellent hotel and facilities, pleasant staff, bungalows very nice. Pool very cold but spacious. Plenty of sunbeds, good entertainment most evenings.
It was a bit of a walk into the town itself but didnt mind after a huge meal walking it off.
The only fault we had was that the food was not served hot enough,it was very good and varied but only luke warm.
Excellent value and a very enjoyable holiday. Playa Blanca is a lovely vibrant resort with plenty of restaurants and bars.
I would highly reccommend the volcano trip that was excellent, and a taxi boat glass bottomed out to the three little beaches was also well worth the trip.
We went in March with my two 18year old student children and found it suited all four of us."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of April 2007

Lovely hotel

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"I was a bit concerned after I had read a review on the hotel, especially as my husband and I were taking our one year old daughter with us. We needn't have worried as this hotel is absolutely lovely.
The bungalows were clean, spacious and modern. They weren't that well equipped for self catering but I presumed it was because it was winter and everyone was on an all inclusive basis. I asked for a kettle to be put in the room on the first day, and by the time were back in our room it had been delivered.
The food was also great. Lots of choice, loads of salads and fruit at every meal, freshly cooked fish and meat, pasta, fresh bread. Even chips for the non-adventurous brits! Not us, I hasten to add. We really had no complaints.
The gardens surrounding the bungalows and pool area were beautiful and very well maintained.
I don't think the pool was heated, but I hadn't really expected it to be. Our daughter didn't go in, because it was a little cold, but both my husband and I enjoyed regular dips.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from a handful of restaurants and shops but the main resort is probably a 20 - 25 minute stroll along the coast.
I read someone elses review about the hot water in the rooms being brown. I would have to agree, but it didn't concern us hugely.
All in all we had a fantastic time, the staff were pleasant and helpful, the hotel is very well kept and the location was great.
I would highly recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of March 2007

Lovely Rooms

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"We travelled with 5 adults and 3 children to this hotel from 16-23 November 2006. We thought what a lovely place when we first arrived and we couldn't fault the accommodation. However the Hotel Manager although friendly, is very good at 'fobbing' off his guests. The pool - we were told it was heated and the baby pool when we booked the hotel and even the official website for the hotel says 2 heated pools, well they weren't when we were there and were freezing to say the least. We kept being told by the Hotel Manager that it would be 25degrees the following day (the pool, that is). Well it never reached even 'warm' and were told every day of our 7 day visit that the next day it would be repaired because the pump wasn't working. I understand from other guests we spoke to that this was his story for at least the previous 2 weeks before we arrived - I would like to hear from other guests exactly how long this went on for......... please. the food was adequate, but not nearly as good as other 4stars we have stayed in, and the so called show cooking was also a laugh. Everything seemed to have broken down when we were there i.e. pool tables, internet (3 of them and not 1 worked, I tried whilst the Hotel Manager was with me to show him the hotel's offical website), swimming pools, water in the rooms when you had a bath was brown - my son-in-law spent 1 week in hosptial after we returned to u.k. because of an inner ear infection that the doctors said was from dirty water - we never swam in the sea - need I say more. I am still fighting my case as I want a refund of some of the monies for this problem as with 3 kids, this was not on and we could have moved hotel had the Manager been honest with us from the word go about the pools. I wouldn't stay here again as all in all, although not a terrible Hotel, not a 4star either."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of February 2007

Hotels near Hotel HL Rio Playa Blanca

Top traveller tips for Hotel HL Rio Playa Blanca

• Dissatisfied by Dissatisfied

"A hire car is essential or at least take some bus trips to other resorts. "

Hotel HL Rio Playa Blanca is also called