Nice but disappointed

Reviewed Tue 20th of September 2016

"We have just returned from Beatriz Hotel Lanzarote, very big nice hotel. We went through Thomas Cook and they have the rooms that have been refurbished, no tea or coffee facility's but on the second day they suddenly appeared we ask at reception why and were told that they were complimentary. WiFi is free if you go to the rear of the reception, but what they do not tell you is unless you pay for it they turn it off at week ends when several people asked why the reply was it is the policy of the hotel but you can use it if you pay.
The restaurant is nice and clean but most of the people were complaining of the food always being cold and it was. The piano bar is a nice area but it is not included in the all inclusive package and the only other bar is the main entertainment area and you have to queue for ages. I thought that all inclusive would mean any bar or area within the hotel grounds but that is not the case at this hotel. Other than the few niggles the hotel is fine it just needs a few minor alterations to make it better. We had fourteen people in our party and really enjoyed our stay, would I go again or recommend it? Maybe.

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2016

no welcome for the British

Reviewed Tue 23rd of June 2015

"Just recently came back from staying at this hotel and a little disappointed in the way British people are treated at this Beatriz Playa Hotel, We were all inclusive and at the first day after paying 21 euros for the safe we were given a free ticket to the spa, later on that week while standing at the reception I noticed a German couple after purchasing the safe getting two tickets to the spa. The room we were in had two large stains on the main wall and the socket which I used for my hair dryer looked unsafe to use as it was wide open. this to me was not a four star hotel. I cannot fault most of the maid service apart from the one who was extremely rude to me the day before I left. It is very difficult to have a conversation with a maid while you are sitting on the toilet with the door locked and closed. according to her she said Ola to me and as I shouted Ola back when I came out of the toilet she said to me DO YOU Not Listen, I said to her I was in the toilet.The only reason I did not complain that day was because we were two woman on our own and had another 24 hours to go staying in this hotel. the food was actually very good and the service at mealtimes was good but there idea of cooking steak half raw does not appeal. I feel that my experiences here let this hotel down. myself and my friend will not be back to this hotel but as this is my second time to Lanzirote and it is a beautiful place I will not let this put me off. "

• Travel date: Sat 20th of June 2015

standards have slipped

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"this is our 3rd time staying in this hotel and i found that the standards have slipped since our last visit in april 2010.The reception staff were very poor,when checking in i felt we were treated like cattle,very unwelcoming! The cleaning staff were fantastic and thats as far as i can go with compliments.The lunch buffet was a disgrace with poor variety,breakfast and dinner were edible. Worst of all for me was the "entertainment". The house band looked and sounded so depressed that you didnt want to stay,on our last visit the entertainment team were excellent with all guests old and young,great fun and encouraged everyone to take part.This however was not the case this time! I have 2 children and i dont think they acknowledged them even once! I think its safe to say we wont be back and i would not recommend this hotel for families!"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of October 2012

Value for money holiday.

Reviewed Thu 20th of September 2012

"A lovely hotel. Staff very friendly. The rooms are very clean and the hotel grounds a credit to the management. The variety and quality of food was good. The disco was in the entertainment room and at times the choice of music for the disco left a lot to be desired. One had difficulty speaking over the loudness of the music. The nightly specialty entertainers were good. Would come back to this hotel again. Airplane noise was not a problem."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of September 2012

Friendly staff and perfect hotel!

Reviewed Mon 13th of June 2011

"Having stayed here 2 years ago &thoroughly enjoying our visit, we foolishly booked a different hotel this time round, but realised our error within 2 days & corrected it, spending the final 12 nights at the Beatriz!
From the minute we set foot in reception, we were made to feel at home, with a warm welcome, friendly staff & clear information with regards to mealtimes and arrangements. The rooms (2 twin rooms, 1 for myself & my 4yr old son, & 1 for my father &his partner) were spacious, clean & well laid out, with good sized bathrooms, wardrobes &balcony. The maid service was second to none, one of my son's highlights was rushing in to see if she had left a little chocolate with his favourite teddy...or if the teddies would be having a little party on the pillow after she'd made the beds. He was never disappointed! For me, it's the little things, (especially for kids), that make a trip special...and the Beatriz know how to look after the children!
The miniclub had a range of activities for the kids on site, twice a day, 6 days a week, which kept my son amused with indoor and outdoor games and competitions, allowing him to achieve certificates, presented at the evening mini-discos, by the Animacion team, who were all adored by the kids! Meanwhile, I made use of the Spa relaxation area with hydrotherapy pools, jacuzzi, steamroom and sauna!
The pool area, like the rest of the hotel, was always well kept, with plenty of sunbeds and shade where required. Pools were ideal, and as we'd a few overcast days, we greatly appreciated the outdoor heated pool!
We opted for All Inclusive and weren't disappointed! There was a great choice of hot and cold foods for every mealtime, and that choice varied throughout the week, making it easy to find something for everyone. Waiting staff were also great at making us feel welcome, making a fuss of the child, teaching him snippets of Spanish, and still carrying out their work with a smile...which is a rarity in many hotels! It was also lovely to have a choice of the main restaurant, an Italian, a Burger bar or an Oriental restaurant, to add to the feeling of "eating out" despite being All Inclusive, and we found them all to be of the same high standard.
Bar staff were always cheerful, even when under pressure, and always made time for a friendly greeting. Service was fast and efficient, and always with a smile. The evening shows were varied and worth watching!
We were amazed that many of the staff & management remembered us (or rather my son!) from 2 years previous, and it was lovely to feel like more than just a number on a reception logbook.
All in all, I have to say, the Hotel Beatriz far outshone any hotel we've experienced, and we won't hesitate to come back time and time again! My son left, teary eyed, not so much for leaving Lanzarote, but for leaving all of his new "amigos" who'd made him feel so welcome!

• Travel date: Fri 10th of June 2011

beware the friendly face.

Reviewed Tue 15th of March 2011

"My wife and I have just returned from a two week all in at the Beatriz Playa matagorda nad it was about as bad as stated in the worst reviews prior to this, if only we had read these before booking.
On arrival the receptionist said we could hire a safe for 3Euro per day. Little did we know that this was a security measure that she should have been more explicit about.
How were we to know that it was for our chatels to be kept safe from the sticky fingers of the staff.
We did not find anything amiss until we got home again and the wife starts to empty out the cases etc. and check our stuff back that we had taken.
Unfortunately, she discovers that an amount of her jewellery had gone astray.
She had secreted it under a volume of medicines that we both need as we are diabetics in a small bag that would hold cosmetics etc.
A gold rope necklace and silver earings and other silver stuff that she did not wear every day.
We knew where it should have been, but no, it was gone,
so the receptionist should have told us that we should protect our personal property from their other workers.
As stated the food was generally cool some times the soup was warm and the fried eggs also but it is a place we will not be going back to.
It certainly is the noisiest being situated on runway 28 at Arrecife, I have become a knoen face to all the pilots etc. on all the airlines using that airport.

• Travel date: Tue 15th of March 2011

Balcony 1084 etc.

Reviewed Fri 4th of March 2011

" Balcony 1084

The Balcony look over the Pool Bar Roof had a view of the Air Conditioning unit and a Refrigerating unit, well the smell from the units and the pool bar toilet roof vents made it impossible to use the Balcony.
The rooms 1085 & 1086 were being used by the hotel for their Staff and sounds of them working on weights etc. well how poor is that.
The Hotel has to review the way it deals with meal times, they have a system which enforces some groups to queue, once you got passed that point it was a little bit of a bun fight and the waiting Staff must have been to Rude School and passed with top grades.

• Travel date: Sun 27th of February 2011

If we could have got an early flight home we would have !!!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of November 2010

"Check in.....We were only third in the queue and yet it took us over thirty minutes to check in as the staff kept wandering off to answer the phone or answer another member of staff that would stick there head through the back door. No welcoming smiles and the staff have limited English so this slowed everthing up. lots of frustrated people behind me in the queue until they finally all rushed the desk to try to get seen too.
Room..........Okbut the balcony has a 4 foot high concrete wall around it so if you sit on the table and chairs provided, you can't see anything but sky.
Beach... Yes there is one right outside but as it has no beds or sunshades and there is a blanket of 40 feet of sharp rocks between the sand and the sea you have to walk about 800 metres further up to use the beach.
Food... absolutely awful, just the same food brought out day after day with the resturants open to the elements even in the heart of the hotel so birds can land on the tables and walk along the food tables. Also huge cockroaches underfoot. Scrambled eggs come straight from the kitchen runny and either cold or barely warm....health hazard or what.Wine and beer tastes awful, lived mainly on rolls and orange juice.
Entertainment.... doesn't start until 10.30 pm and was not worth staying up for, you're better off walking down to the nearest bar.
Staff...waiters very friendly and helpful, reception need to show more interest and not be so surly.
......
This was a last minute booking and we left it all up to the rep and feel that she should have pointed out that the hotel only had a 65% rating for food and this was way to high and all I can say is, thank god we didn't book 2 weeks.
Do yourself a favour and give this one a wide birth."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of November 2010

A month in Lanzarote

Reviewed Wed 10th of November 2010

"My husband, myself and two friends stayed at this Hotel because I have always wanted to stay there. We have been going to Lanzarote for many years. We payed a lot of money for the holiday and we didn't think that we had good value for it. However the Hotel was very clean most of the Staff were very helpful. Whilst there my Husband was taken ill and after a stay in hospital we were re-accomadated back to the Beatriz by the Insurance company. We found the staff to be very helpful once again. The Hotel is geared up for mainly Spanish and Germans although there seems to be a lot of Irish people there also. The hotel is very money orientated you even have to give a Deposit before you can use your Hotel phone and the safe was 3 Euro's per day. You couldn't use the fridge only for their drinks even if you paid you couldn't put you own things in it.They didn't have coffee and tea making facilities in the room either. Luckily we took those with us or you would have to hire them at 2.20 per day.The TV was only geared up for Spanish and German and the English get Sky news and CNN not that you want to go on hols and watch tele but it would be nice to have some of the English channels. This Hotel needs to take a serious look at itself It needs a thorough refurb, it is dark and quite dull and depressing and really not very comfortable ( No nice seating in reception) The food was very bland and not really appetising. All in all we won't be going back there. Matagorda is a lovely part of the island close to the airport but we hardly noticed the noise from the Aircraft. For those that want a noisy boisterous holiday this part of Lanzarote is not for you. It was a bit too quiet for us, but Taxi's are cheap and usually very good although we always hire a car. "

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2010

awful

Reviewed Mon 11th of October 2010

"We stayed at this hotel after being told it was nice.Not so the food was like eating out of a canteen,not much choice.The menu was same everyday.Better food at the pool bar at lunchtime.
This hotel is geared up for Germans & Spanish.The latter being very unfriendly to the FEW English who were there.
There is no local transport to the other places, only trips that were very,very expensive.
We were very disappointed & will definately NOT go there again.

• Travel date: Sun 10th of October 2010

Disappointing

Reviewed Mon 23rd of August 2010

"We stayed 2 weeks at this hotel at the beginning of July. Overall we enjoyed the holiday,but there were a few niggles!! The rooms are nice and clean as is reception! The restaurant was a bit disorganised and conjested with no sort of system to it, most of the chairs were grubby with dubious looking stains on them probably off swimwear at lunch, the food however was good and we enjoyed every meal!! The Beatriz burger is open THUR/SUN and we enjoyed eating there lunchtime for a change!!!! There is only 1 bar open in the evening which means you have to sit through mini disco etc etc , the music is so loud you can't sit and chat to people , play cards read or just relax ,the chairs here are also grubby and ready for replacing, there is a piano bar which is not part of the A/I , always empty?????????????? wonder why !!?? even when Spain were playing in the world cup and they had the flat screen T Vs in there they wouldn't let you have your drinks free, you had to walk across to the other bar, and they only let you take them out of the bar in plastic glasses!!!!!
Your holiday can be made or broke by which room you are allocated, most of the British are in the side where the entertainment is ,the design means all the rooms in this side have the club room below and it's like a giant echo chamber till 12 ish and after if people sit around talking. Most of the Spanish are in the other side where it's the restaurant below, much quieter here!!!we were in the bit that joined the 2 so got the passing traffic!! We did not expect to be woken at 3.30 am with youngsters coming back from the clubs!!!! making their presence known,we thought it was a family hotel and being where it is would not attract that scene!!! WRONG!!! The Spanish are certainly the priority here,they get served first at the bar and get bigger measures,whilst we were there a queueing system was put into place at the bar ,and this helped ,I think some people had complained!!!!!!!
We thought it was grubby round the pool and some of the sunbeds have seen much better days. The pool bar was okay first thing,but got a mess as the day wore on,with plastic glasses blowing about and tea ,chocolate etc spilt on the tables.With a little more thought it could be improved on!!! "

• Travel date: Sun 1st of August 2010

AWFUL!!!!!

Reviewed Thu 13th of May 2010

"Not a good place to stay!!! the catering is based on the germans and spanish, flies and birds all over the food at the pool restraunt. the food is the same every day...no choice. some of the bar staff are very ignorant towards the british. you only have one bar open at a time, and there is only 2 all inclusive bars on the whole complex. its never in a million years 4* as advertised....more like 2-3*, and not at all what i would call all inclusive. you have 3 meals a day, and cheap local alcohol...no snack bar available, unless its booking in days..thursdays and sundays and then its just bread rolls with cold meat on them, no butter...when there gone, there gone. its more like full board than all inclusive. infact the only good thing about the place is the maid service. my advice would be 'DONT STAY THERE'."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of May 2010

Hotels near Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa

Top traveller tips for Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa

• Disillusioned by Disillusioned

"Like Lanzarote but not Matagourda "

• videoguy by videoguy

"Mucky looking beaches and don't eat in the hotel "

• Bri/welsh by Bri/welsh

"Service so Awful for anybody from UK, English Speakers "

• Eileen P by Eileen P

"Just go and enjoy yourselves. "

• Dianna B by Dianna B

"more British Tv and better manners towards the British "

• Joe B by Joe B

"Don't have a room near the entertainment area "

Hotel Beatriz Playa & Spa is also called