Beatriz Playa & Spa

C/Mato s/n Urb. Matagorda, 35510 Puerto Del Carmen, Lanzarote Spain

A bit far out!

Good

"I stayed here for a week the end of April '06 with our one year daughter and my boyfriend. First opinions of hotel from the outside were great. The lobby was well done, the pools look fab. The room itself though I wouldn't call 4 Star, definitely a 3 Star. Although saying that the room was fairly big, with a great balcony overlooking the sea and the pool....great waking up to this view every morning.(I emailed the hotel a week before arriving asking for a pool/seaview room which we got.) The room was always spotless when we got back from breakfast too, with fresh towles waiting for us. The food in the restaurant was just ok, it was buffet sytle, there was plenty of food to go around just not of the greatest quality for a 4 Star Hotel.
The airoplanes are entertaining as other people have said.
The location itself wasn't great for me, it does have a Spar shop and a few pubs and restaurants and supermarket within walking distance, about 5 minute walk. The main center though is a good 40 min walk away and this is where we spent most of our time...sipping cocktails in cafe la ola(white leather couch, white leather sun loungers and white leather bed overlooking ther sea for there customers...great spot)

The old town is well worth a visit, about €5 taxie ride away, we often walked to it too, about 1 hours walk, plenty of good sea food restaurants and bars and Mullignas Irish Bar, the staff are extrememly friendly, really good atmosphere.
We hired out bikes one day, not like me, but i really enjoyed it. We cycled down passed the airport, you turn left instead of down towards the spar shop. after an hour cycling this direction we came across the best beach of the whole holiday, beautiful green water, and white sand with palm trees, well worth a visit, accrife or something like that is the name of the area.

Overall, I did enjoy my stay in beatriz playa, but if im returning to lanzarote i think i'l be getting a hotel nearer to the town. This hotel is not the same quality as other 4 star hotels, needs moderising, but then again it wasnt as expensive as other 4 star hotels either."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Perfect Solice away far from the madding crowd!

Good

"Contrary to some of the reviews on this site, this hotel was a joy to stay in. People complain that it shouldn't be rated 4*. This I don't understand...It is not a 4* business hotel but it is 4* holiday hotel. The rooms, building and pools were immaculately clean. All staff I encountered were very pleasant and accomodating.

The hotel itself is situated in Matagora, which is about a 5 min drive from the airport. Airplanes do pass overhead quite frequently during the day, but the stop at about 10.30pm.

Outside the hotel there is a decent enough beach with not too many people on it, compared to both porta del carmen and playa blanca beaches. The only hotel complaint I have is that there is no exit directly leading onto the promenade, you have to walk 10m!!

A great place to stay!"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of March 2006

Relaxing, Great for Families

"This hotel was in a smashing location on the beach/promenade in a quiet area. Just a 4 minute walk from a shopping centre full of bars and resteraunts and a SPAR, so everything you need is at your fingertips. It was a pleasant 25/30 minute walk down the promenade to the strip in Puerto del Carmen.
The weather over Christmas was quite nice, although there were some rainy days. The resort area was quiet, especially when we first arrived on the week of the 15th.
The hotel itself...well, I don't believe it should hold a 4* rating. I think it's more of a 3*. We compared it with other 4* hotels in the area and it's just not the same standard. Overall it needs updating and modernising. However, the staf are absolutely FANTASTICALLY nice and hepful. The animation team is brilliant. The children's facilities are great. So, even though I think you could get more for your money at another 4*...it is still a very good hotel in a very good location. If customer service is more important to you than top-rate modern conveniences, then this hotel is worth a try.
Breakfast buffet is lovely, dinner buffet not so great, but loads of nearby resteraunts."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

perfect for honeymoon

"spent the first week of married life at this hotel, only regret, wasn't longer. rooms were good, restaurant superb, staff polite and happy, pools great, right next to the beach, everything our agent said it would be. will go back when the kids are older."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of December 2005

Thumbs up for the Beatriz Playa

"Just got back from first visit to Lanzarote, and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Beatriz Playa. As others have said, the staff are first rate, friendly and helpful. The hotel is very comfortable with large public spaces. Room cleaning etc was painstaking and efficient. Weather a bit mixed, but that is probably to be expected in November. All in all a most enjoyable experience and I have no hesitation is recommending the Beatriz Playa. Only disappointment was the Canary Islands/UK duty-free allowances, with cigarettes and drinks being so cheap."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of November 2005

We had "the" most perfect holiday here!

"Myself and my husband and our little boy aged 5 have just returned from this beautiful hotel. We had "the most fantastic holiday"! There is so much to do, from the shooting, archery, mini golf, water polo, water aerobics, darts, football for the boys, bowls and this is all in the hotel. The staff are second to none and make you feel welcome at all times. We loved watching the planes comming in and by the end of the fortnight you didnt even notice them anymore. The food was like going to a 5 star restaurant every night. I am vegitarian and the choice was outstanding. On the other hand my husband and son are real meat eaters, and they also felt the choice was fab. The restaurant even have diabetic puddings every night. In the morning there is a harpist playing while you have breakfast, and at night there are three spanish men singing and playing music while you eat. There are little restaurants along the promenade but to be honest we didnt even try them. There is a spar shop which we bought our daily bottles of water out of. The beach is just across the promenade and is lovely and quiet. Puerto del carmen is a bit of away. We walked it one day and it took us about 45 mins, so take a taxi or bus it. The entertainment was outstanding the only thing being it didnt start until 11pm which was a bit late some nights but when we did stay you could easily have thought you were sitting in a theatre. All in all I would have no hesitation in recommending this fabulous hotel and cant wait till my return."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of August 2005

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Good

"My girlfriend and I stayed at the Betriz for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. First impressions of the hotel were great, Large impressive lobby, speedy check in, even a courtesy call to check the room was up to standard. The food served at the restaurant was great, and the staff very efficient and polite. The room was very big compared to other hotels and had a superb shower, a great view of the Lanzarote coastline, minibar. And air conditioning, which to be honest with you was the only fault with the room.
The hotel grounds were very neat and always clean, there were two good size pools both deep enough to submerge a 6ft man. There is also pool bar and restaurant.

In the basement of the hotel were a number of shops which sold newspapers, souvenirs etc also the Main restaurant where the evening meal is served and Pizzaria which is open until I think 4pm.
The main strip of Puerto del carmen was about a five minute taxi ride away which cost roughly €4 each way. There was a Spar within walking distance from the hotel and a number of restaurants and bars, these bars and restaurants were ok but the more entertaining venues were down on the strip.

The hotel also has its own cats which can be seen wandering the grounds, these cats seem very friendly and approachable, I saw numerous children stroking them.

If you did not already know this hotel is situated adjucent to the airport and you can often see planes coming in to land and hear them taking off, this did not cause a problem and was quite entertaining watching the pilots keeping the planes level whilst approaching the runway especially the jumbo jet that comes once a week on a thursday at around 3pm. The airport is not 24hr so the evenings are very quiet.

The evening entertainment in the hotel leaves a lot to be desired, it is geared mainly to the spanish customers and is basically rubbish. There is another form of evening entertainment in the form of the piano bar, you will always find a friendly face here to serve you . For the more fun loving client, just go down to the strip or try the old town. The daytime entertainment is quite repetitive especially when they play the same cd everyday for 14 days.

The hotel features a variety of other features on site including sauna and jacuzzi, massage, hair salon and multi gym. I did not try out the sauna etc but did use the gym which is unsupervised and in my opinion dangerous, the fitness equipment is falling apart. this is one area the hotel needs to improve on.

All in all the hotel is Ok but there are plenty more that are probably a cut above this one you may pay a little more but you usually do for quality. It was a comfortable stay and worth the money we paid. Happy holidays"

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

First class Hotel

Good

"We have just returned from a 2 week break at the Beatriz Playa.The hotel was well run by an excellent staff who would help you with anything.The food buffet was well presented and a good choice was on offer everynight.The pool area was spotless,with plenty of beds.The locality of the hotel to the airport is not a problem,if anything we found it quite entertaining.All in all an excellent holiday in an excellent hotel.Would we go back?. Most definitely."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Smashing Holiday

Good

"Stayed at the Beatriz Playa for 1 week over Easter. The hotel was busy, and the weather was great. During the week we enjoyed great food with a very wide choice. The pool area is large with plenty of sun beds and was kept very clean and tidy. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms and bathrooms were cleaned daily and always smelt nice and fresh when you returned to them. One of our party is a wheelchair user. The access around the hotel is very good, but there are one or two steepish ramps with which assistance may be required. The adapted bathroom had a rail at the side of the bath and drop down bars around the toilet, but no hoists or anything. The hotel is quite an unusaual design as all the corridors look up to the open sky. It was lovely. However, some parts of the hotel did look a little bit tired, but nothing serious. We would definitely stay at the Beatriz Playa again, the location is great - really close to the beach. Although the airport is very close, the planes were no bother at all and didn't reduce the enjoyment of our holiday in anyway. In fact they provided a bit of entertainment when things were quiet around the pool! There was also a good selection of activities during the day for those who wanted to take part, inc. kids. Entertainment at night also, which was OK. All in all 9 out of 10."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of April 2005

expensive for what you get

Good

"we have just returned from a week at the Beatriz Playa. We were there with our two children. For a 4 star hotel it doesn't compare with the equivalent in Ireland. The lesiure facilities were ridiculous considering one has to pay for the use of sauna and jacuzzi. Got my hair done in salon one eveing - 22 euro compared to 10 euro in Peuro Del Carmen. The bedroom was quite cramped and no view. We paid for half board but only dined on two evenings - buffet style not our scene (queing for 20 minutes) and the food was not great. Breakfast was better but their pastries and cold meats leave a lot to be desired. Having said that the staff - most of the waiting staff, the life guard, mini-club host (vicky), entertainment staff were lovely. Bar staff (esp. in piano bar) quite sullen. Bar prices much more expensive, as is the norm I guess, than in most of the resort bars. Entertainment was mixed. Resident three piece akin to bad wedding entertainment or second rate karaoke - by the time they finished every evening bar was empty. Also we booked a babysitter through hotel one night at 15 euro an hour this was much more expensive than Ireland - where cost of living is much higher - so beware. Both piano and entertainment bar cease at midnight. I don't know if this is due to quiet time of year or annual policy. Carpets in basement area in need of a good wash. Maybe it was the time of year but the complex seemed half empty and devoid of any atmosphere. I may sound very critical but for what we paid I would have expected a lot more, having said that it was a very relaxing hotel with lots of amenities. Hear great things about Fariones so may try them next time. Would like to hear comments about both."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of March 2005

Nice but disappointed

Good

"We have just returned from Beatriz Hotel Lanzarote, very big nice hotel. We went through Thomas Cook and they have the rooms that have been refurbished, no tea or coffee facility's but on the second day they suddenly appeared we ask at reception why and were told that they were complimentary. WiFi is free if you go to the rear of the reception, but what they do not tell you is unless you pay for it they turn it off at week ends when several people asked why the reply was it is the policy of the hotel but you can use it if you pay.
The restaurant is nice and clean but most of the people were complaining of the food always being cold and it was. The piano bar is a nice area but it is not included in the all inclusive package and the only other bar is the main entertainment area and you have to queue for ages. I thought that all inclusive would mean any bar or area within the hotel grounds but that is not the case at this hotel. Other than the few niggles the hotel is fine it just needs a few minor alterations to make it better. We had fourteen people in our party and really enjoyed our stay, would I go again or recommend it? Maybe.

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2016

no welcome for the British

"Just recently came back from staying at this hotel and a little disappointed in the way British people are treated at this Beatriz Playa Hotel, We were all inclusive and at the first day after paying 21 euros for the safe we were given a free ticket to the spa, later on that week while standing at the reception I noticed a German couple after purchasing the safe getting two tickets to the spa. The room we were in had two large stains on the main wall and the socket which I used for my hair dryer looked unsafe to use as it was wide open. this to me was not a four star hotel. I cannot fault most of the maid service apart from the one who was extremely rude to me the day before I left. It is very difficult to have a conversation with a maid while you are sitting on the toilet with the door locked and closed. according to her she said Ola to me and as I shouted Ola back when I came out of the toilet she said to me DO YOU Not Listen, I said to her I was in the toilet.The only reason I did not complain that day was because we were two woman on our own and had another 24 hours to go staying in this hotel. the food was actually very good and the service at mealtimes was good but there idea of cooking steak half raw does not appeal. I feel that my experiences here let this hotel down. myself and my friend will not be back to this hotel but as this is my second time to Lanzirote and it is a beautiful place I will not let this put me off. "

• Travel date: Sat 20th of June 2015

Hotels near Beatriz Playa & Spa

Stayed at Beatriz Playa & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Beatriz Playa & Spa

• Disillusioned by Disillusioned

"Like Lanzarote but not Matagourda "

• videoguy by videoguy

"Mucky looking beaches and don't eat in the hotel "

• Bri/welsh by Bri/welsh

"Service so Awful for anybody from UK, English Speakers "

• Eileen P by Eileen P

"Just go and enjoy yourselves. "

• Dianna B by Dianna B

"more British Tv and better manners towards the British "

• Joe B by Joe B

"Don't have a room near the entertainment area "

Beatriz Playa & Spa is also called