just got back after spending two great w...

Reviewed Mon 18th of August 2008

"just got back after spending two great weeks at sands beach resort, can't rate the staff and rooms we had highly enough maid came every day (we stayed in sol plaza pool side appartments)there was thirteen in our party (3 families)the youngest child 9 yrs up to 20 there was something to do every day for the young ones if they wanted to join in, the staff at the poolside bar in the day time(mai tai bar)were really nice and nothing was too much for them.the whole complex was clean and well looked after and any problems were delt with promptly by the maintainace staff i must point out that this hotel is being upgraded as we speak but is in no way a building site would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay there again. and i forgot to mention the lagoon appartments with the sandy beach for the really little ones is ideal the main square is a good 10 min walk away or about 2.50 euros, a tip for the water park go in a taxi if staying in costa teguise for approx 3.50 euros it costs 22.50 euros to get in (also the so called free bus you get charged for so when asked tell them you came in a taxi we heard from people at the water park that they had paid for there tickets at the hotel and thought it was all paid for and had to pay the extras on arival)and then extra for the sun beds,another great day for the kids is rancho texas there was a free bus from the resort entrance fee was 15 euros
hope you enjoy this hotel as much as we did happy hols "

• Travel date: Mon 18th of August 2008

Just arrived back from sands beach, this...

Reviewed Fri 1st of August 2008

"Just arrived back from sands beach, this was our second year. can not express how great a place it is clean & friendly a home from home. Our 14yr old daughter has the freedom to be independent with friends that she meet and we have the security to know that she is safe.
Only let down was the entertainment, to say it was bad would be an under statement."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of August 2008

Just returned from a week's holiday at s...

Reviewed Mon 30th of June 2008

"Just returned from a week's holiday at sands beach villas, which was excellent, very clean and well maintained staff were excellent aswell, after a few hiccups and changing appartments twice when my daughter had a rather nasty fall and hurt her back getting in the bath was eventually given a very suitable disabled villa which was originally booked although I was told that it was not available until 3rd of July.
The dining hall was very hot with no air conditioning which I think is needed, food was a bit repetitive but nice.
As my daughter is in a wheelchair, scooter she could not gain access to the bar which provided all the entertainment, do they not think disabled people want a drink or to enjoy some bingo etc, also the supermarket was not accessible, I think it is time for all hotels to be wheelchair friendly has any of the designers of these hotels actually sat in a wheelchair for a day just to see if they can get around easily?
However when these changes have been done would definitely return without hesitation.
Thank you. "

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

Just returned last night from a fantasti...

Reviewed Fri 13th of June 2008

"Just returned last night from a fantastic week with my mum in a one bedroomed apartment which sleeps 4 comfortably. Apartment was bright, spacious, spotlesslessly clean with all mod cons to make it a comfy home in the sun and shower was very powerful as that's always a bug bear for me, having very thick hair, I had no problem rinsing my shampoo and conditioner. The bed was very comfy, and overall quiet at night so slept like a baby, apart from mums snoring. Lots of wardrobe space for your clothes and a safe available. The furnishings were in very good condition and again very clean. Although, we only snacked at lunchtime, the kitchen was well kitted out if you wanted to eat in and also had BBQ facility on your own patio. The maid service was excellent with fresh towels daily and also yellow towels supplied which you could use at the pool and exchange daily at the laundry for a fresh one so great if up and down from the private lagoon as they get covered in sand. The pools were beautiful with sloped non slip entry which is great for kids or elderly and steps at the deep end to get out if you prefer. The entire complex and in general Teguise is excellent for disabled access or prams with slopes next to all stairs. All pools were beautiful and clean with astro turf/carpet area to stop kids/adults slipping as you come out of the water. You can walk over the bridge at the lagoon and out the back of the Mai Tai bar onto the promenade which takes you along some promenade, some sandy bits but a lovely walk for those of us who like walking. Teguise as a resort was quieter than some resorts but this is why I chose it, with plenty of restaurants to chose from, all of which served great selection of food to meet everyones taste. Recommend Il Patio in the main square, Lani's beneath the square and also the Lighthouse. Overall felt very safe for mum and I as 2 females and will definitely return to the Sands Beach Resort and I will be recommending it to all my friends and family with young kids, perfect. There's also an excellent kids club available and the staff are very friendly. "

• Travel date: Fri 13th of June 2008

Just returned from a really excellent 2...

Reviewed Sun 6th of April 2008

"Just returned from a really excellent 2 week holiday at the Sands Beach Villas.

Having read some of the older reviews I was a little worried, but when I read them now they seem as though they were written for a completely different resort !!

We had an upstairs apartment around one of the SIX pool areas - each pool area has a small kiddie pool and a much larger, deeper pool. There is also a slightly heated pool next to the Mai Tai Pool Bar/Restaurant and also a small man-made beach/lagoon. With two small kids (5 and 2.5) we stayed mostly around the pool outside our apartment - felt very safe, and visibility was good to keep an eye on the kids.

The apartment was 10/10 - clean, spacious, well-equipped and generally fab ! The maid service came as advertised in the information booklet - and we got as many clean towels and sheets as we could eat !

The complex was well laid-out, and after the first day, it's easy to find your way around. Reception were nothing but helpful when we used them.

Costa Teguise is fairly basic - but having spent a day in Puerto del Carmen we were relieved to get back (for Puerto del Carmen read Rhyl or Blackpool and you'll get the idea).

We found a number of nice restaurants - El Patio in the main square got three visits, Lani's Tex Mex got two, and most of the others were nice but nothing spectacular. There is another nice Tex-Mex around the corner from El Patio, and we found a nice authentic restaurant on a corner opposite from the Slow Boat Chinese (although we can never return after our kids decided to meltdown on that night - I still remember the wine bucket falling, and the looks on all of the other parent's faces thanking god it wasn't their turn that night :-) )

Arreciffe was excellent for shopping - although the poor Euro rate meant that there weren't too many bargains to be had.

The weather at the end of March wasn't fantastic - but we managed to get to the pool most days. We both managed a tan, and once the winter winds had dropped it was lovely to sit outside El Patio having dinner.

All-in-all a fantastic holiday, and we will probably re-book for Sands next summer - even in the Easter holidays the resort felt half empty, and there were plenty of sun loungers."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of April 2008

Well what can I say, We are a family of...

Reviewed Fri 28th of March 2008

"Well what can I say, We are a family of four two teenage daughters very hard to please, We arrived and was greeted with very pleasant and very informative staff, we was given our 2 bed villa, which was in fantastic condition, all newly refurbished and was very clean, well stoked kitchen with everything you could need, including dish washer.

bedrooms very well organised with fitted wardrobes and large beds, great bathrooms and I like the fact that the wash basins are out side of the bathroom, this made getting ready very easy as one was showering the other was using the mirror at the hand basins to get ready, good amount of power points for hair dryers and straightners,

We always had clean towels and the beds where made regularly.

The pool was clean but not heated but to be honest it did not need it, the atmosphere on the site was very pleasant, my two daughters really enjoyed themselves so much that we are going back this year in august for two weeks, really nice walk along the front to local restaurants.

We have been to lanzarote before and stayed at Sun Tropical another nice resort but we prefer Sands Beach Villa's.

I can recommend this holiday destination we found it nice and clean very pleasant staff, well situated and close to shopping and restaurants, all within walking distance, there are some great restaurants off site and I recommend you trying them out."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of March 2008

Where to start. OK first you have to rem...

Reviewed Wed 19th of March 2008

"Where to start. OK first you have to remeber this is from a couples view - i.e no kids. We booked a "beach front" room - big mistake for beach read dirty little strip of sand round captive water feature. Ask yourself why the authorities banned sand pits for kids over here as a health hazard and you get my drift. The lagoon [water feature] looks decidedly murky, though the water aparently changes at especially low tides - We noted the many fish congregated around the sea vent area - what do they know about the rst of the lagoon we don't? This strip of sand was busy enough outside school holidays with the few kids there were on site, I should imagine its packed at peak times. NB there is no real beach option outside the hotel even though it is a sea front location.

OK that gripe out of way. The accomodation was certainly not 5 star, but it was clean - never saw a cockroach in 2 weeks. The beds always felt "damp" for some reason thats from day one and a lot of people commented on this.

The kitchenette was excellent if you used it - inc Dishwasher, Microwave, full cooker, fridge / freezer large size, even kitchen roll included. The rest of the accomodation had ample room for us 2, but I should imagine 4 people would not be cramped in there.

The location of complex is at far end of Costa T. The onsite catering / bars / restraunts /supermarket etc, are very expensive and very tacky re quality of food, choice and entertainment.

There is very little for anyone to do in this resort - even at 50+ we were bored after 2 days. We had to hire a car to even think of surviving the fortnight - having said that the roads [what there are of them] are of amazingly good quality on most of the island, but given it is 35 miles long x 12 miles wide - you kind of get to know all the roads and back roads pretty quickly - but good laid back populace - never heard anyone leaning on the horn in anger during the 2 weeks. Would reccommend you budget for a car if you come here.

Never got hassled for timeshare, even the people trying to get you in to their restraunt were quiet and muted and understood "no thanks" first time.

In summary: It does what it says on the tin, you get a fairly decent apartment - besides "beach front" the rest all face on to 2 of the 13 swimming holes on site. Away from the main reception and bar area it was quiet - playing radios etc outside of your room was banned and this was enforced by security. PS that also includes playing them loudly in your room with the door open - as one guy found out the security people do not draw a distinction [thankfully]. Likewise the pre laying on of towels on sunbeds is not allowed and I saw this actively enforced by the staff on the "beach"area. This alone raised the score for me.

Would I go back - maybe for a week early/ late season. but no more than that. Would I take kids even if I had them - NO anything over 5 years old would be bored within days unless they had a dirty urine soaked [kids will be kids] sand fetish."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of March 2008

we have been to sands beach villas for t...

Reviewed Sat 1st of March 2008

"we have been to sands beach villas for the past two years now. the first time with our son and his friend both aged 17. we absolutely love the place everything about sands beach is relaxing. this year we are taking our 2 year old grandson, cant wait! i love the way it is set out into blocks and each having its own pool. the food on the complex isnt brill but there are loads of restaurants and bars in walking distance. the bar across the road is great for watching the footie matches, so my hubbie and son tell me, while i sunbathe at our pool.we have stayed in both small and large villas both excellent and very clean. would reccommend to anyone. "

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Our one bedroom appartment was a good si...

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2008

"Our one bedroom appartment was a good size for four of us but was is need of a little re decoration. The apartment and resort are kept very clean. There were more than enough sunbeds around each pool for everyone and although the resort was at full capacity it was remarkably relaxed and quiet.
I liked the fact you were given towels to use around the pool. I also liked the safety the lagoon offered but would recommend shoes in the water due to underwater rocks.

The resort has a very good location with only a five minute walk to a number of shops and restaurants.

The taxi ride to the resort costs around 20 euros and takes 15 minutes.

I would definatley return to the resort and my children loved it too."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of February 2008

To say we had the best holiday ever was...

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2008

"To say we had the best holiday ever was an understatement!
We've never taken the kids on a foreign beach holiday, usually do a Keycamp to France but being completely fed up of grotty weather we thought we'd give it a go!
The travel agent dealt direct and we got 2 weeks (end of August - 1st week in September) for about £1900.
We flew XL Airways - no problems there.
Resort was fabulous. Reception looks like a 5* hotel then you go through to 7 little blocks. Each block has 2 storey villas around its own pools (a paddling pool and deeper pool). They were cold mind you, but the kids didn't mind one bit! Our kids were 9 and 3 and were in the pool all day!
We loved the idea of having accomodation around a pool and it proved perfect.
We got sunbeds every day right outside the villa which was around the paddling pool. Our kids could wander in and out of the villa for the loo or to get a drink without either of us having to keep taking them. We made lunch and ate round the pool or just brought out a cuppa!!
The apartment was great. Cleaned 5 days with clean towels (more if you needed them).They also provided yellow towels purely for the sunbeds.
Maids were lovely.
Our villa was in one of the rear blocks nearest to the reception & supermarket, perfect.
As you walked through the resort towards the beach it does become a bit more of a walk back to the shop so we were happy with where we were.
The front villas are the luxury ones. They sit on their own 'laguna'. Shaped in a crescent around a private beach with a lake where my son and husband fished - and caught loads!
Other guests didn't realise but anyone in the resort can sit on that beach but there are less sunbeds there. It was raked over every night and very clean. We went there a few times for a change of scenery!
Beyond that lies the restaurant and bar, all set around another pool - yes there are 7 separate pools here!
Food was Ok - nothing exciting and a tad expensive but the odd lunch was fine.
Coming out of the rear of the resort takes you onto the main beach. Really nice and sandy with rocky shelters from that ever increasing Lanzarote wind!
From the front of the hotel you can easily walk to shops and restaurants and most were great. It took anything between 10 minutes and 30 minutes depending on where we stopped to eat. We found a tiny market one night!
The supermarket on site was well stocked and a bit dearer than the Netto or Aldi (can't remember which it was). So we stocked up while out on our evening jaunts!
Average meal prices for 2 kids meals and 2 adults was about 25 euros most nights. The kids meals in most of the restaurants were a bit of a let down after a while - constantly spag bol, nuggets etc, and always with chips!
We hired a car from the car hire place opposite for 2 days - that was plenty enough to see the island! We did our own trip to the camels and Timanfya but we did do the coach trip to Teguise market on the Sunday. One massive throng of thousands of people all buying the same old rubbish! But a good morning out none the less!
The sleeping arrangements were interesting! We had decided the kids would use the bedroom at the back so we could have the evenings to ourselves. On arriving we discovered a double bed so they had to share. OK with little kids but worth checking out if you older ones.
Our bed was a pull down double in a cupboard - excellent. It meant we were able to keep the lounge area as a lounge. The kitchenette was smalll (we went for the smaller kitchen - cheaper option), but adequate. 2 rings, microwave, toaster, kettle & fridge.
Decor in Villa - beautiful.
TV - satellite channels in English and a constant DVD channel with different, english, films being played from morning till night. BRILLIANT! Changed them on a fortnightly basis so never repeated.
We did get some ants outside but it is to be expected as it was soooooo hot!
No lifeguards at pools but safe and clean. Inflatables allowed and if you go down to the laguna beach you can take any inflatable you find propped against the wall. They get put there when people go home! We ended up with 2 boats, an armchair, lilos and surf boards - after we'd already bought them some!!
One negative was no air conditioning but it was ok. The back bedroom window could be completely lifted out of the frame when it was open so the kids had to sleep with it closed each night. It was a bit warm but we felt happier knowing they were safe and no-one could try to get in.
The evening entertainment was not good! It was being done down in a basement room, very, very hot. Went once! It was varied but not our scene. The kids entertainment was OK, a disco etc at 8 but usually we were eating out.
There was a daily kids club, split into 2 ages but it was a bit naff! A bit of colouring in a room - my 3 year old had had enough after 10 minutes!
While we were there they were demolishing an older restaurant. I have no idea what they're puttting in instead but I'm sure it will be lovely.
I know this has been an epic review but I hope it gives you a good idea. Have a look at the website - it really is like that. You won't be disappointed! "

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2008

Absolutely loved it! Accomodation was r...

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2008

"Absolutely loved it!

Accomodation was really nice & homely, loved the patio space which is somewhat unique on a complex like this. Really nice pool outside the door with seperate childrens pool - a bit cold though but there was a heated one at the Mai Tai (30 second walk) where the pool bar was. Nice food in there also although I was disappointed with the on-site restaurant, that wasn't a problem for me as I like to eat out. Great restaurants and bars nearby and would recommend the evening market in the square on a Friday night.

The entertainment was better than I expected, they do make a real effort and we enjoyed it back at the Soleil bar at the end of a night out. Quite nice in the pool bar also where we played darts, bingo, bowls etc

There is also a health & beauty place on site which I loved, had a couple of massages and that was a real treat. Also a gym and a games room which i didn't visit but heard good things about.

Very impressed with the on site facilities, also found the reception staff very helpful.

Will definately go back later in the year"

• Travel date: Sun 27th of January 2008

Stayed at the Sands Beach Resort from th...

Reviewed Thu 24th of January 2008

"Stayed at the Sands Beach Resort from the 3rd - 14th Jan.

On arriving the reception staff where excellent, We stopped in a 2 bedroom apartment which was great it was spotless and very spacious, we had maid service every day, even when our young son was having an afternoon nap, they cleaned all the other rooms and where very quiet, very friendly and cleaned it really well.

The pools where cold but what do you expect for January, It did not stop my son and daughter going in.

The beach was brilliant, very child friendly (gently sloping). The Mai Tai pool appears to be heated. The snacks are pretty good as well.

Breakfast was good as well good choice and again staff very helpful.

This is one of the best hotels if you have young children (very child friendly) loved it!!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of January 2008