Occidental Lanzarote Playa

Avda. Del Mar S / N, 35508 Costa Teguise, Lanzarote Spain

Good

Lovely, relaxing time at Oasis hotel

Good

"My fiance and I spent a week at the Oasis hotel at the end of September 2005.
The hotel lobby takes your breath away as you enter, beautiful huge space with split levels.
As it was my birthday during the week we were allocated Suite 301 which is lovely - great view (although nearly all rooms have a sea-view), huge king size bed, jacuzzi-style tub - a few scratches and stains but the room was immaculately cleaned every day.
The Buffet restaurant is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner and has a reasonable variety of food, the pickiest of eaters should find at least something they like! I agree with other reviewers that the food could have been hotter, it was only ever luke-warm.
Plenty of room in the buffet whatever time we turned up, lots of tables available - maybe as we were slightly 'off-season'?.
The Italian and Grill restaurants both require booking (in reception between 10.30am-11.00am daily - which is a little restrictive...always a queue!)
But they are worth trying - if just to have a change of scenery from the buffet!
The desserts were disappointing in the a-la-carte restaurants - frozen ready-made desserts! Our banana split did not have a banana in it!! That's our biggest complaint so the food was generally a good standard.
The outside areas are very well-kept, the pools look inviting but they are freezing! and filled with salt-water so there were not many people swimming.
Plenty of sunbeds, pool bar and outside lunch buffet are handy.
The 'beach' that can be reached through the gardens (you also have to cross a quiet road and have your room key to swipe back into the property) is a small rocky cove with the tiniest patch of sand. Although there are some small, rocky beaches further up the coast into Teguise this hotel is not for beach lovers!

The evening entertainment was centered around the stage in the lobby area - a show every night at 9.45pm. The hotel hires outside acts for the majority of shows, which are really quite good!
Everything quietens down at midnight so you're guaranteed a peaceful nights sleep.

We went on the Southern Sights excursion with Thomson - Go if you get chance, brilliant value for money and a chance to see the Southern side of the island for the day.
All in all a lovely, relaxing week. The hotel is great (they even sent a bottle of champage to our room on my birthday!)."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2005

excellent vacation

Good

"My wife and 8 year old daughter and I visted the Allegro in Oct 2005, we were very apprehensive after my wife read some very mixed reviews. Our vacation was fantastic, we found our room very spacious and of a very high standard, mini-bar well stocked with bottled water, food was of a high standard and varied, we never had to queue for anything and staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful, nightly entertainment was of a decent standard and quiet varied. The entertaianment staff were superb with both adults and the children, you were allowed to join in or sit back and enjoy without any pressure. I am an early riser and enjoyed an early morning swim in the pool, at this time there was an army of staff cleaning and tiding the pool area. To be objective my wife and I tried to find negatives about our holiday but it was almost impossible, we stayed 10 days which we felt was perfect, the location was about 30 min walk from the main resort but we felt no need to leave the hotel, this is not a hotel for beach lovers as there isnt one! This was our first visit to the hotel, so we may just have been lucky, but I rated the hotel very highly and this will not be our last visit."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2005

we thought this hotel was excellent

Good

"my husband & my self went in may 2005 without the kids & we loved it,the rooms are clean,the food is good & plenty to choose from.
we had read a report that the food was cold we never got cold food,in fact they went round checking the temp of the food (all meal times).
we would go again & even take the kids,plenty for them to do at the hotel,a bit quite for them as a resort though(costa taguise).
we didnt find 1 complaint,just not there long enough."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of August 2005

Brillant holiday

"Just returned from holiday here on the 21st July, was there the same time as the other review. I don't know what hotel he was staying in but we loved it. I was there with my husband, 2 children, my parents, brother and partner and we agreed this is an excellent hotel.

The kids club is excellent 10.30-1pm and again in the afternoon 3-4.30pm, in the evenig they have a mini disco and all the kids win a prize. When the show starts in the evening the kids club staff put on a video of choice and the kids all have special seats at the front of the show. They could not have done anything more to make the kids holiday more complete.

The rooms are spotless and I never seen any crawlies at all. The rooms are dated but very functional. We had a family room which had lots of storage space. We had a brillant view from our room.

We went for meals early so we very seldom had to wait for a table. The food was lovely and I was never sick once(none of where). My husband does not like fish and he always found plenty to eat. Breakfast is from 7.30-10.30 lunch at pool 12.00-approx 3pm buffet lunch 13.00-15.00 and dinner 19.00-22.00. Also panini's or toasties at the pool around 5pm. Ice-cream all day.

Entertainment- shows where excellent, Karoke by Jordi not so good but he does try and is very keen.

I am very particular about what hotels I would stay in, I never stay less than 4* and this hotel is impressive.

I would agree one lady on reception is not plesant(obstructive) and the spanish seem to get preference. I found the spanish guests rude and pushy but once you get used to this you learn to stand your ground.

So if you have booked this holiday do not do as I did and worry about the negative reports about this hotel, go and have a brillant holiday as we did and everyone else at the hotel did."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2005

not very good

"On the plus side...The rooms were very big, lovely bathroom and clean. Entertainment in the hotel on most nights were excellent. Really enjoyed a tribute band called kool and the gang they were Brillent!!

Had to ask for the mini bar to be refilled twice and they took our towels one day and never left us any clean towels, rang reception who said I will speak to the house keeper, 3 hours later and still nothing. Luckily we still had our towels from the pool that day so we could have a shower.

Reception... Terrible! Very, very rude unless your Spanish, THEY LOOK AFTER THERE OWN. They couldn’t be bothered to help you.

Food, I was ill on 4 occasions out of the 2 weeks so not very good. Not much choice unless you like fish (we do not). Lunch by the pool bar was good, chips, pasta, pizza, salad etc.... Drinks excellent had coca cola, beer and you could help yourself.

Pools big, but salt water, it really dry's your skin out. Really cold aswell. Never had a problem getting a sun bead, however some people put there towels on then before they open.

Location.... A few shops across the road which belong to another hotel, expensive! Other than that nothing. About 3 euros to the main centre by taxi or a 30 minute walk. There are a lot more shops there and a better beach.

Hotel overall. Nice looking, hotel very posh. But staff and other bits and bobs let it down.

Would not go again, and I would not recommend this hotel either."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2005

Good hotel, good service, good food.

Good

"I went through a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor to try and find a good hotel and decide on this one as most reviews very very good and I must agree that this is a fine hotel. I went with my girlfirend and her daughter + friend both 13. The hotel is clean, tidy and the service was very impressive throughout our stay. The rooms are spacious and were cleaned everyday (as long as you put your sign out) and the mini bar was stocked with water every 3 days. The food was varied and tasty throughout our stay and you got a table quickly when going for your main meals. During the afternoon there was a hot snacks bar serving burgers, chips, salad, tuna, etc and a bar to get drinks from, with a self service for soft drinks. You also got to go into the italian and the grill restaurants once a week. The grill was good, but the italians was closed when I was there so never got to try it. Only gripe with food was the snacks between breakfast and dinner, and after evening meal were poor. If you missed breakfast then you had to wait 2 hours to get something hot and after the evening meals stopped you had a choice of some tiny sandwiches (always cheese and ham which I suspected were from the afternoon snacks buffet) or onion rings.

The pool area was big and had plenty of sun loungers and 2 big pools and it never seemed over-crowded when I was there. The only problem with the pools was one was not heated and both were salt sea water which if you got in your eyes or mouth was horrible. Fresh water and heating both pools would be nice.

The entertainment at the hotel during the day was ok. You could play tennis, mini golf, 5 a side or water polo amongst other things. Enough to keep kids and adults entertained. The night entertainment was hit and miss. It was either really good or really bad. Thank god the drinks were good, with a choice of Dorada or Czech Pilsner larger and other spirts.

One other thing, the location of the hotel is a bit isolated. If you plan to go out of the hotel a few times during your stay then either get familair with the bus service or hire a car. Taxis are cheap enough though if you prefer to use them.

Overall I was very please with my stay here and if you have a budget of around £400 then I would recommend this place to stay if you are planning to go to Lanzarote."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2005

Good times at the Occidental Oasis

"Just came back from the Occidental Oasis - one week in Feb 2005. Both my husband and myself thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. I had read some bad reviews about this hotel but I really don't know what people could complain about. The food is good. Two a la carte restaurants you can eat in as well - we dined in the Italian one and it was very, very good. You can have any drink you want including Cava. The red wine available at dinner was really good, very smooth. So smooth in fact that you could drink quite a few jugs of it!!

We met some fabulous people in the hotel and had a really good time. The staff are very friendly and courteous, this includes barmen, receptionists and cleaners. The entertainment staff are also excellent and they are not in your face! If you want to join you can do so but they are also nice to you if you don't.

All in all a really good holiday that I would recommend and would certainly visit the hotel again.

Gaynor and Ceri
South Wales"

• Travel date: Tue 26th of April 2005

Better than we expected

Good

"We wanted a quick short break with some sunshine and booked the hotel. but having read the reviews, we did not have huge expectations. We were
greatly impressed (apart from the weather) - the first good thing was the short drive from the airport. The hotel was very comfortable with overall very good standards of cleanliness. We stayed (unusually for us) fully inclusive and the quality and variety of meals was very good with plenty of variety. The service was excellent and the staff very smart and friendly. Having worked as a hotel inspector for many years I have got used to looking for the downside - so we were very pleasantly surprised. We visited the Italian restaurant one evening, but perhaps the chef was having an off night, because the food did not live up to the 'hype'. The quality of the decor and furnishings was good.The staff who orgainised the leisure/sproting activities were very pro active in encouraging guests to participate without being over zealous, and also remembered guests' names - not bad, considering we were only there for a short break. The evening entertainment was varied to suit all tastes. The only down side was that on one or two eveings, the low temperatures did not encourage you to sit and drink till the early hours - perhaps that was a good thing. I think in the height of the summer season and with a full capacity of guests the hotel would be very different, and I would anticipate lots of queuing for the restaurant and a shortage of sunbeds. But overall we were very pleased with our stay."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of March 2005

Nice hotel - shame about the weather!

Good

"When we booked our holiday we read the reviews on this hotel and were so dissappointed with what we read that we wondered if we had made the wrong choice. However ...... the hotel was lovely, the staff were very courteous and helpful, and the bottle of chilled champagne left in our room to welcome us put our doubts to rest. The hotel itself is a large airy comfortable place to rest and relax, the bedrooms are large and comfortable (although a little cold for February). The food was always of a good standard with many choices to suit everyone, the Italian and Grill restaurants are a lovely change from the dining room, and also of a high standard. The all-inclusive package was a pleasant experience, 3 meals a day, regular snacks, and of course all the drink you could manage, the wines were very palatable, and the cocktails a pleasure to try. The mini fridge in all the bedrooms alas only containing bottled water was regularly stocked. Tea, coffee and delicious hot chocolate were always available (just the thing after the very bracing Costa Teguise winds). This takes me on to the weather, unfortunately we were not blessed with blue skies and sunshine which was a shame because there is not a lot of sightseeing on Lanzarote ! The one down side of this hotel is its location it is quite a walk into Costa Teguise centre (a good 45 mins) and as it is on the fringe of the resort the local buses seemed to fill up before they arrived at the hotel so you usually had quite a wait, and rarely got a seat. However the entertainment at the hotel was very good so we were usually quite contented to stay where we were. If it is surroundings, good food and amenable staff that you are looking for this could well be the hotel for you."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of March 2005

Fantastic apart from the weather

Good

"arived back on o3/02/05. It was with some trepidation we arrived ,after reading some of the other reports. We foundthe Hotel very clean, the rooms big with terific views of the pool & sea.The balcony was shelterd from the wind so we spent the days reading there. Unfortunatly the weather was cold for the first three days, I had not packed a jumper so felt the cold. The last four days it was lovely and warm.
I could not fault the food. Breakfast was the full gamit from Continental, cold meats,Smoked Salmon, fresh fruit,cheese to full English, pancakes cooked to order. tea & coffe was dredfull luke warm.
Lunch & Dinner were very similar. Salad bar or Soup to start with Most days two Fish dishes, Fresh Tuna,Salmon, Hake,Prawns or Paster dish, lots of Chicken ,Veal Pork, Sirloin,Rabbit,Lamb allways a dish cooked to order on the griddle by freindly Chefs. A good selection of sweets & pastries.
This is the fourth all inclusive holiday we have had. This has been the best for Food & Drink. The staff were lovely.I can reomend two trips The Island Tour & Speakeasy night. The only complaint we had was the cold weather"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of February 2005

Lovely hotel

"Westayed 5 nights at this hotel and it was great..the food was great lots of choice and drinks on all inclusive was better than anywhere I've been before lot more choice ..I will go again for sure ..entertainment every night too"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2012

Fantastic hotel (don't be put off by other reviews)

"I stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks between 14/10/11 and 27/10/11 and I have to say it was FANTASTIC.

I was slightly worried as I had read some not so favourable reviews, however I can report that the hotel is lovely, and the staff are fantastic, the food was amazing (I am a very picky eater and always found something I could eat)

My room was huge (I travelled alone) I felt very safe, I had a massive double room with sea view which was lovely, but always windy and never sunny (I WOULD RECOMMEND A POOL VIEW ROOM AS THE SUN IS ALWAYS POOL SIDE)

Yes it does need a refurb, some of the furniture is a bit dated and obviously used, and yes there are stains on some of the carpets however it is clean.

I wiped my whole room with Detol wipes before I touched anything (OCD) and the wipes were clean.

There is entertainment for kids and adults every night which is fantastic.

The only thing that I didn't like was the lack of English TV, there was only Sky News, CNN, and Euro sport! in English, also its 1 Euro for 10 minutes of internet use (which I thought was ridiculous price)
I instead opted to pay for WIFI code for my phone which was £25 Euros per week a bit steep but since no TV had to be done.

The WIFI only works pool side, in the dining hall and in reception, so I recommend a pool view room so that you can access WIFI all the time and also the sun is always on the pool side balconies.

To sum up, this hotel was brilliant, I would recommend to everyone to stay, absolutely amazing value for money

The hotel is closing down in January 2012 for a refurb (which is needed) I just hope that when it re opens it is still as reasonably priced and that the amazing staff are still there.

I WOULD DEFO STAY THERE AGAIN IN A HEART BEAT

• Travel date: Fri 4th of November 2011

Hotels near Occidental Lanzarote Playa

Stayed at Occidental Lanzarote Playa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Occidental Lanzarote Playa

• tinnylee by tinnylee

"Very quiet - not much going on - plenty of tat for sale. "

• karen horton by karen horton

"fantastic lots to see and do "

• karen horton by karen horton

"all over the island was nice "

• helan_lou by helan_lou

"It is a fantastic holiday and look beyond the carpets. "

• Carol McCallum by Carol McCallum

"lovely resort, beautiful beaches, restaurants and shops, friendly people "

• Carol McCallum by Carol McCallum

"The Italian in the square (forgot the name) Orient Express bar (gorgeous food, lovely music) "

• shortpauline by shortpauline

"Ate in the hotel as food was amazing, tried a few irish bars and the shamrock was by far the best "

• stelz22 by stelz22

"Lovely area, great weather, very clean island. "

• Rebecca from Norwich by Rebecca from Norwich

"This is a great value hotel for anyone wanting a sunny holiday without any fuss. "

• L. Turton by L. Turton

"nice walk to town along beach road "

• EbonyGem by EbonyGem

"Get a pool view room, take a portable dvd player with dvd's as no uk TV Channels other then news and sports "

Occidental Lanzarote Playa is also called