We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Occidental Lanzarote Mar

Avenida del Mar, 5 Numero 5, 35508 Costa Teguise, Lanzarote Spain

Good

Wish we could of stayed longer.

"My family and I have just returned from a very relaxing and enjoyable week at the Barcelo. The hotel, although extremely large was nicely positioned just outside of the busy town of Costa Teguise. The facilities and entertainment programs day and night were brilliant, something for all ages, and if like myself you prefer to just quietly lie in the sun that's fine as nobody harasses you. We originally booked on a half board basis but soon became curious of the little blue wrist bands everyone seemed to be wearing and after enquiring found that for 16euros a day 8 for children we could upgrade to fully inclusive allowing us to eat and drink as much as we possibly could (which believe me we did)!! We hired a reasonably priced jeep for two days from a very nice man located in the hotel foyer which was great, tour operator trips are not our cup of tea and too expensive for my liking! The sites to the north and south of the island were spectacular and well worth the visit.
To end my review I would say the hotel staff were the ones that made our stay, their highly accommodating, dedicated professional manner really made our holiday an extremely memorable experience."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of August 2005

Fantastic holiday

"My husband, daughter (5yrs) and I have recently returned from a fantastic 2 week stay at this hotel. Earlier reviews had made us very nervous, as this hotel had been recommended by friends and previous guests, (I am a travel agent), but we shouldn't have worried. The hotel, food, acommodation and staff were excellent. The mini-club, which my daughter couldn't wait to go to each day, was the best I've ever seen. It had it's own splash pool, little cinema, activity desks and a soft play area. The entertainment team worked really hard, providing activities for all throughout the day and evening. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and have no hesitation in recommending it to all my friends and future clients."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of July 2005

fantastic holiday

"My wife, son (12) and I have just arrived back from spending a fantastic week at the Barecelo Hotel. Room was large with a lounge area where my son slept, and a seperate twin bedded room for my wife and I. Both rooms were air conditioned and all you would expect from a 4* Hotel. Food was very varied, but if your taste is Chicken Nuggets and chips then this is not the hotel for you. Two critisms of the Resturant were that the food was not always as hot as it could be (though there was a microwave provided should this be a problem) and the air coditioning in all public rooms was not as good as it could be. Just off the main resturant through double sliding doors is a seperate eating area, and this was always cool.
Daytime entertainment was brilliant (we hardly saw our Son!!!!!!), and evening entertainment was adaquate. Hotel staff were brilliant, amenities more than satisfactory, 5 pools, plenty of sunloungers (no need to reserve them at 6 am !!!!!!! Position of Hotel is away from it all but as there is so much to do this was not a problem for us. We went on a South Island tour with Lastminute tours for 18 euro's as apposed to the 58 the tour operator wanted, it was brilliant and I can highly recommend the company. We didnt find out about them until given a brochure at Teguise Market.
All in all a fabulous holiday which I have no hesitation in recomending."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of July 2005

Fabulous Holiday

Good

"My wife and I have just enjoyed a superb holiday here. Contrary to some reviewers we found the food to be of a high standard and varied. The staff were friendly and helpful. Our only real criticism is the lack of signage to the lifts. We found them on our last day. The hotel did have some minor rebuilding work going on though it did not spoil our holiday.

The hotel rooms are mainly suites with full air conditioning. As the temperature reached 47C during our stay this was most welcome.

The hotel is a good distance out of the resort of Costa Teguise but Barcelo provide a free bus shuttle every 30 minutes during the day. Outside that period it is only 2.5 euros by taxi. The airport was close by but we did not suffer from aircraft noise.

Facilities are provided for all ages and good evening entertainment too."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of June 2005

Honeymoon from hell!!

"Was glad to return from our honeymoon at the barcelo. the food was substandard - cold, unappetising and extremely repetitive (also resulted in illness). check with travel agents before you leave as we had no prior knowledge of the fact that at the moment the restaurant is closed, the pool bar is being demolished and also the gym and sauna are undergoing refurbishment. the staff must be commended for putting up with the constant noise, drilling and banging, that can be heard in most places on the site. we feel our honeymoon has been ruined and would not re-visit or recommend this hotel to anyone !!!
as far as lanzarote itself goes we would return. the external entertainment was excellent. in particular the rancho texas, both during the night and day, the catamaran trips are worth a go and also the grand tour of the island that most travel operators offer was good, you are a long time on coach but it really is the only way to see the highlights if you dont want to hire a car."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of June 2005

Lovely Hotel

"We just returned from Barcelo on 23rd May and had a fantastic holiday, the only critical thing about the hotel is the food, it's okay and you can eat it but it is very repetitive and sometimes cold, a gentleman earlier said to ask for block 5 facing the pool which we did and the suite was perfect, dont pay all inclusive before you travel as its 18 euros per person per night which works out around £25, so if you like a few drinks its worth the money, they are over generous with the drinks and you can get drunk rather quick. the staff could not have been nicer, never had to wait for a drink and always with a smile. we hired a car for 3 days from the hotel for 74 euros and travelled all over the island, if you like peace and quiet and to see Lanzarote at its best travel North to Orzola and just before you arrive on the right hand side of the road is a beautiful beach where you can walk in the sea for about 2 football pitches at knee length and its a lovely turquose colour then head into town for a truly mouthwatering meal overlooking the sea. Must warn you about the pool bar being demolished at the moment and a fair bit of noise during the day but if you go to the pool near the tennis courts you cant hear a thing. if you need a gymn on holiday then go elsewhere as this is also under construction along with the sauna. we have thought long and hard to come up with a true rating for this hotel and although everyones views differ we think it is a very good 3 star and worth the money. the hotel and pool area is spotless and we would go again."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of May 2005

Nice Hotel {Shame about the food!!!!! }

"Have just returned from the Barcelo in Costa Teguise. There is a refurbishment underway at the moment, which means that the restaurant is closed and all food is being served in the conference centre. This is probably the reason that the food was the worst that I have experienced in any 4 star hotel that I have stayed in during 40 years of travel. The hot food was cold and served buffet style in greasy trays with the appearance of having been cooked elsewhere and transported to the makeshift restaurant. Not a hotel that I could recommend at the moment."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of May 2005

not a 4 star !!!!!!!

"On arrival at hotel we were hoffiried because it is located next to an industrial estate.To our surprise when we went into the hotel it is beautifully decorated throughout.staff are really helpful and friendly.Because of so many mixed nationalities playing bingo and the quiz nights are a nightmare.repeating a number in 5 or so languages takes so long and there didnt seem to be a very good atmosphere in the hotel because guests didnt really get into conversation with each other,probably because we wouldnt have understood each other!The most disappointing part of the holiday was the food.It was absolutely horrible every evening.We have stayed at 4 star hotels in the past and have been so pleased with the food.This food was of a very poor standard and it should definately marked down because of this.All in all we are glad we went to lanzarote because its a great island for sightseeing and we hired a car from the car hire company that operates at the hotel.good value for money too.plenty to see and do on lanzarote but if you dont drive or get away from this hotel during your stay,then you will get so fed up by the end of your holiday.cannot recommend this holiday because even our 6 year old daughter said she wouldnt like to go back to barcelo lanzarote and thats a first for her to say that."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of April 2005

Recommended for quiet holidays

Good

"Arrived to an impressive hotel and the suite we had was roomy and very clean. The restaurant catered with every food type and it was all very good, as my waistline will confirm! Try not to eat after 8.30pm as there was a long wait (30 mins). Snack bar by the pool was not so good as it was very greasy. We went AI and sometimes we had to wait for fee paying people to get their drinks first. Though we found if we chatted to a couple of waiters when it was quiet they served us first when they were busy. Very quiet area and quite a distance from a decent beach and dont believe the reps when they say the buses run every 15 minutes we waited 50 mins for a bus to the market. Entertainment was good but bar is packed so arrive well before the start for a good spot. Only downside was that they'd had a sand storm from Africa a week earlier and the cockroaches had come out in force but it was only for a couple of hours and they were VERY quick to remove them. Apart from that very good hotel and recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2005

fantastic holiday

"August 2005. I have just returned from Barcelo Lanzarote and have had the most fantasic holiday. It is lovely for families with children. The hotel was fabulous, all the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and always had a smile. I have met some really nice people from all over Europe, everyone is so friendly. The entertainment throughout the day was really good, there is so much to do. The food was really tasty with lots of different varieties, even though the hotel was full to capacity it never seemed that busy around the pool area. It is definately worth a visit, there is building work going on just across the road but I promise you it doesn't affect you in the least. Lanzarote on the whole is a lovely island with lots of nice places to visit you will enjoy every minute!"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of August 2004

robbed @ Barcelo while sleeping

"We arrived at the Barcelo Lanzarote on Thursday 06/02/2014 and we were allocated a room on the ground floor. On Saturday 08/02/2014 we went to bed and I put my wallet and my wife's Watch and Bracelet on my bedside table. When we woke up on Sunday Morning the wife asked me if I had opened the the patio door in the night i hadn't then we realized my wallet and the wife's jewellery plus a backpack were missing. We reported this to the Hotel reception who didn't seem surprised at what happened We reported it to the police and was told it would be 30 euro for a translator.As i had no money or credit/debit card's now the Hotel manageress did the translating for us. The Hotel in our opinion is not up to 4 star."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of February 2014

2 weeks at Barcelo Lanzarote, never again I am afraid!

"I have just come back from a 2 week holiday from the Barcelo. I think it was bad timing on my part as the hotel was bulging at the seems with folk and way understaffed for the first 9 days as it had agreed to take in alot of the guests staying over the road at the 'Be Live' Lanzarote Resort. The hotel opposite had missed its grand reopening date by 9 days and consequently had to find suitable accommodation for the people who had booked into that hotel. Barcelo accepted a substantial number of these people and as it seemed to be a last minute decision, they were vastly understaffed for the first 9 days of my holiday.

I experienced a 25 minute wait for drinks at the bar on an evening in an all inclusive bar. I have a photo of the Entertainment Bar at 9.20pm in the evening with a queue of 24 people waiting for a drink with one bar staff. Simple unacceptable. If you complain, you get a shrug of the shoulders with the comment 'not my problem' This is simple unacceptable for a Barcelo hotel. They addressed the situation with 3 days left in my holiday with a self pour system but this was simply too late for my holiday.

The sunbed situation was the worst I have experienced anywhere in 25 years. I went to get a sunbed on going for breakfast for the first 5 days but to no avail. Towels were are placed on sunbeds long before 7.45am. I got wise to this and by day 6 had to put a towel on a sun bed by 6am to guarantee a sunbed. This problem was obviously enhanced by the fact that there were not enough sunbeds. Guess what happened, 3 days befor the end of my hols, they bring in about another 50 sunbeds! Great for those after me but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth so wont be going back.

The Barcelo was once a 4 star hotel, not anymore, a 2.5 star at best. Very tired, needs a refurb of the furniture in the piano bar certainly. The seats were all stained. There is not aircon in the reception nor the piano bar either which I find strange for a 4 star.

Food was ok but very repetitive. We were wretching at the sight of pork after a week at this hotel. Every meal was pork. You did get chicken, beef and a tasteless local fish on various days but could always guarantee pork. Whatever was leftover from the evening meal was stewed and put out the following lunchtime, so the leftover pork was always there to haunt you.

I am bitterly disappointed by the Barcelo Lanzarote experience. I am sure that the bar service and sunbed situation have now been rectified but it does make my blood boil that it was with 3 days left of my particular holiday before the situation was rectified. Not happy! Rant over! "

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2012

Hotels near Occidental Lanzarote Mar

Stayed at Occidental Lanzarote Mar? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Occidental Lanzarote Mar

• shawA614 by shawA614

"Nice, quiet, friendly location "

• ginger by ginger

"Dont go there if your looking for a 4star hotel this definitelt isn't. "

• dgrea by dgrea

"Book HB and upgrade to AI on arrival "

• kargiman by kargiman

"make sure departure is before noon (see review) hire a car for a couple of days to explore. "

• lucy1706 by lucy1706

"dont have a ground floor room "

• Joanne M by Joanne M

"Cancel if you have booked "

Occidental Lanzarote Mar is also called