Just back from two weeks at the Beatriz....

Reviewed Sat 16th of June 2007

"Just back from two weeks at the Beatriz.

As my wife and I are both in our seventies, I emailed the hotel a week before we went to ask for a quiet room.. Had reply and promise to oblige.

We were given room 623...as it turns out the noisiest room possible being next to the service stairs and elevators it was busy with cleaner's trolleys etc all day.

We asked for help (hotel was full and we knew change of room was impossible) so when a free room was available, it was suggested by the receptionist that we pack our suitcases after breakfast and go downstairs.... wait till room is ready in the afternoon then we can move back up.

It took an argument and some running around by us to agree that we can move our belongings from room to room when the new one was ready. Reception generally was unhelpful, certainly no service with a smile there.

The rooms could do with some new paint and new carpets. During the two weeks we were there, the room was never "cleaned" before three in the afternoon, mostly at about four or after and by that time, the hard working cleaners were so tired they hardly done anything apart from making the beds very roughly and changing towels (if there was any left on their trolleys) vacuumed only once during the stay.

The terrace floor washed twice in fourteen days and we had to circumnavigate the pigeon droppings if you wanted to be out there.

The food (half board) was enough, but always, always cold. Water not hot enough for tea... eggs, bacon etc cold... evening meals, not a single dish that you could say was hot.

To start with finding a table was easy but some bright spark decided (during the second week) that the headwaiter should "show" us all to a table. Very long queues - as much as fifteen minutes wait - formed after this whilst the restaurant was half empty.

The entertainment was very poor. Four times a week the staff entertained us with guest participation games. (Miss Hotel, Mister Hotel, Couple Hotel, etc...) Only three "professional" acts per week and frankly some of them were pathetic.

In a hotel like the Beatriz, - a fair distance away from anything else - you rely much more on the evening entertainment as it is difficult to get away.

Generally, the only smile and helpfulness we had from the staff during the fourteen days was from the driver of the courtesy bus. He was a delightful person.

The coach trip back to the airport was horrendous. The coach was much too hot. When we asked for the driver to put the air-conditioning on it apparently was broken. We were told by the rep. that he will put a report in.... that knowledge really helped.

To crown the whole experience, my suitcase was badly damaged - coming home -

And there was nobody at Stansted airport to which I could report the damage (as you are supposed to do) so it is pot luck if I can claim from insurance?!

Tour operators, First Choice, Hotel Management Beatriz, Baggage handlers,... all could do better!

Not a very relaxing and memorable holiday. Would not recommend!"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of June 2007

After reading some of the other reviews...

Reviewed Tue 24th of October 2006

"After reading some of the other reviews I decided to book this hotel for myself and my partner with our 4-year old.

The hotel itself is in quite a poor condition to that one showed on the hotels website. The main feature on the hotel is the structure and there were certainly a few worries regarding this. The front of the hotel is a glass structure but if you take a close look at the glass as you are walking to your rooms, there are a number of windows broken/cracked and very, very dirty. It looked as they hadn't been cleaned for over 6 months. The rooms itself are very basic with limited TV channels and no tea or coffee making facilities unless you request them from reception for a fee of 10 euros per week! The milk cartons also supplied were out of date by 12 months also as we found out when we came to make a cup of coffee and found the milk curdling!

As we went half board we thought there would be a lot of variety but even though they changed the theme every night. Potatoes and fries with chicken/veal. Every night. After queuing up also for 35 minutes for breakfast and dinner for the last 4 days we decided eating out was the best option!

The pool area and children’s facilities are top class along with the daily events which was very funny to watch.

Word of warning. if you fancy lunch in the pool bar. Order your food an hour before you want to eat.

The staff at the hotel reception were very good however, the staff in the restaurants were the poorest I have ever encountered regarding attitude and willingness to help. One day I ended up helping them clean the plates away off the table so me and my family could eat and then we received a pot of coffee at breakfast that was stone cold!

I really wouldn’t stay again at this hotel for the cost as I would rate it as a 3 star hotel with 1 star service!

Costa Teguise great for a chilled out holiday but by the end of it. The hotel was starting to ruin it."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of October 2006

We felt this hotel was not worthy of its...

Reviewed Mon 25th of September 2006

"We felt this hotel was not worthy of its 4* status, and a bewildered as to why Airtours have awarded it a Prestige hotel. It is more like a 3* hotel.

It is desperately in need of a good old fashioned clean. It also desperately needs to be refurbished. It is very dated, very shabby.

The staff are polite and helpful though, and try hard to please. Although we did have a problem with some staff which is still being investigated.

The room was a good size and only reasonably clean.

The food was ok but very 'samey' after a few days and unless you arrive at the restaurant early you will have to queue, and when we say queue, we mean it!!! The queue tended to get very long and the wait was anything up to 1/2 hour, so get there before 8pm is the answer to that. There was a problem in that is was discovered that the cooked meats were being served with the same utensils that handled the raw mean, but that was sorted out after they had complaints, just hope they maintained those standards after us 'Brits' left. Gawdd, haven't they heard of food poisoning!!
Entertainment was low key with pool side games in the day and a singer in the evening.

We didn't feel that Lanzarote was all that exciting (and we are not party animals and are easily pleased, so it comes to something if we say its not exciting lol)
We will NEVER visit this hotel again, nor Lanzarote come to that, but......if you decide to go, we hope you have a better holiday than we did! Good Luck

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Hotel Beatriz is a lovely hotel. Perfect...

Good
Reviewed Wed 31st of May 2006

"Hotel Beatriz is a lovely hotel. Perfect for couples & groups of friends seeking a relaxing break. This hotel isn't really suitable for children. When we first arrived at the hotel on the coach my first impressions from the outside were ... Oh? It looks a bit like a large office block that I would expect to see in the middle of London. This was due to the large glass wall. A great impression was made when we first walked into the hotel, it was spacious & clean. The reception team were very helpful too. Checking in was fine.

The day we arrived we had some lunch in the pool bar. There wasn't much to choose from on the menu so we only ate there when we were desperate, you really didn't get much for your euros either. There is a much better choice of restaurants in Costa Teguise that cover all price ranges. The hotel offers a courtesy bus that runs to & from Costa Teguise although, it isn’t too far to walk & it is very direct.

The pools at the hotel are well kept. The pool area has been newly tiled so again, it looks very clean & tidy.

The food in the main restaurant of the hotel was good. There were lots of dishes to choose from. The only problem we had was some of the translation wasn't great. One night we were offered pasta with elbows?!

I wasn’t aware just how breezy this island is, especially when you are on the beach so I would suggest to anyone that feels the cold to pack a long sleeved item just in case!

We used the spa twice in the hotel. The fist time it was wonderful. So relaxing & for 10 euros we weren't complaining.

The only problems we had were on our last day. Our room wasn't cleaned so we had to ask the reception team to organise & I was told by the guy behind reception that he was too busy which didn't go down well! Also, on our last day we re-visited the spa. The water wasn't as warm as it was the day before which made the experience very un-relaxing & during our time in the spa the electricity went out for about 20 minutes which turned the water freezing! When it finally came back on part of the spa treatment rooms weren't working. We complained to the spa reception team who in the end agreed to give us our money back.

This hotel & resort is a fantastic get-away. Make the most of the relaxed atmosphere & I wish you a happy holiday!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of May 2006

We traveled to the resort of Costa Tegui...

Reviewed Mon 10th of April 2006

"We traveled to the resort of Costa Teguise in March of this year and stayed in this specific hotel, We had read a lot of bad write ups from people who had stayed there before and we really were expecting it to be totally unsuitable for us.

On arrival at the hotel we were confronted by the receptionist telling us that our booking was not on the list but not to worry as it was booked through the internet and this sometimes happens. She was very helpful and most reassuring to us which made us feel at ease. After about 10 minutes we sussed out that there system is different to ours and it was just a case that my booking was under my Christian name rather than surname. We were given our room and the directions to get to it. I have been a holiday rep for 8 years and worked in some lovely hotels but I can put hand on heart and say none with the wow factor that this had. It was and is beautiful and in my opinion very grand.

We were pleased to see that upon arrival in your room you are greeted by 2 bottles of wine which worked a treat. The room was lovely but I thought the bathroom was amazing.
Once we had settled into our room we got ready and went down for our evening meal (this was the bit we were worried about from all the bad reports). The maitredee greeted us and gave us all the information we needed to make us feel at home within the restaurant. The array of food was brilliant and you could see by the looks on the other guests faces they were thoroughly enjoying what they were tucking into.

We go to Lanzarote at least once a year so we very rarely use the services of a rep and do everything off our own backs.

We had booked a car for the week and as usual we cover the island from tip to tip from Orzola at one end to Playa Blanca at the other. Our favourite place on the island is Famara but you do need a car to get there. Its 5 kilometers of golden sand and pure beauty, when we went in August of last year there was about 30 people on it and in March we hardly saw anyone.

Our week was filled with seeing Lanzarote at its best but the one thing that made this an amazing holiday was the hotel we chose as our base. To sum it up in one sentence I would say, luxury in all aspects, the food, the rooms, the smiling happy staff, the pool ant the spa which is a must.

To anyone due to travel out there all I can say is my little green eyed monster is envious of you IT WAS BRILLIANT."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of April 2006

Bargain deal

Good
Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Myself and partner got a very good deal for half board for a week and were very pleased with it. Yes the hotel is dated in areas perhaps even abit shabby but you must always remember that a 4* abroad is never the same as a 4* in the UK, so you musn't make the mistake of comparison.
Initally we were in room 519 until the entertainment started and we thought it was in our room! we went to reception first thing the next morning & were given another room where we heard no noise at all (No 454)- you have to be abit persistant, don't except that the hotel is full if they try that one first!
We liked the fact that the majority of customers were mature & very few children were around as it made for a quiet & relaxing time. The majority of the customers were european, italian, a few spanish & lots of germans....but before you groan any hotel that has alot of europeans in it is always a good sign because europeans generally expect a certain level of service and get it ! this was evident in our stay, I guess it helped that my partner can speak german (always VERY useful!).
The food was typical of buffet style but if you could not find anything to eat there would definately have to be something wrong with you. The choice was extensive covering most things imaginable. I am a slightly fussy eater but I never starved!
There is a market on Sunday in Teguise - DONT BOTHER it is purely for tourists only & the stuff for sale is over priced and all the same. It is not a typical market with everything including produce & locals attending, this is purely directed at tourists with appropriate prices attached! If you do feel the need to go get the local bus instead of paying extortinate prices, it was under 4 euros one way for two people! I guess because we paid less than half the going rate for our break it was extremely good value for us & we would certainly go back for a relaxing week again. The hotel is a good 10/15 minute walk away to the beach but compared to other hotels in the area (we did visit others) it was definately the right choice."

• Travel date: Sat 4th of March 2006

great holiday

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"arrived 29.12.05 with 2 boys (6 & 9). Staff were helpful and arranged for some food even though it was past midnight when we arrived. The rooms are really clean & the maids came in every day except one while we were there. If you are expecting 5* luxury at 2* prices then it will dissapoint you, but if you want a good clean room with reasonable amenities then you will be delighted. The food was about what I expected but could be a little hotter although it was plentiful & varied. We had an all inclusive deal & we actually struggled to spend much money! With regards to the entertainment the hotel is a little basic but our kids adored it so that was cool with us. The kids enjoyed the kids club & me & my husband had a go at archery & rifle shooting which was fun. If you wanted a little more in the sense of classy evening entertainment the the Sands Hotel across the road was apparently great (and free) although we didn't bother. I felt the whole experience was one of laid back, relaxed & easy going. If you want nightlife & bars, discos etc until after 12.00 then Costa Teguise is not the place for you. I would recommend it for families & older couples, not your 18 - 30's. We hired a car & saw the island - it is worth doing & will save you a fortune on the cost of the trips. The volcano is excellent. The resort of Playa Blanca is nice & is where the ferry goes to Fuerteventura. The market at inland Teguise on a Sunday is worth a trip but you must haggle!!!
On the whole I would highly recommend Club Siroco as a good honest, clean establishment suitable for most."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of January 2006

Arrived 18 Dec 05 at 21.40 after 6 hour...

Reviewed Wed 28th of December 2005

"Arrived 18 Dec 05 at 21.40 after 6 hour flight delay to be told I would have to wait another hour before I could eat and then only cold dinner. Being diabetic I could not wait that long and had to order room service at extra cost.

The meals in dining room were abysmal and choice not good. One evening we were subjected to goat meat or rabbit from the hot dishes and on the Christmas Eve gala dinner they offered a dish labelled turkey - this was in lumps complete with bones and I have to say that I have seen road kill that looked more appealing. On the same night on the cold buffet table was a complete piglet with eyes open staring defiantly at the diners.I am not vegetarian but this experience has left me considering becoming so.

The pool area was also being re tiled and the noise from the angle grinder used for cutting tiles was unacceptable along with the to-ing and fro-ing of the dumper truck carrying the bags of sand/cement from one side of the pool to the area being re tiled. Management had not informed the tour operator that this work was going to be carried out.

My experience with Portland regarding either being moved to another hotel met with " only minor work " so I would have had to pay any extra costs and likewise if I had wanted to return home I was expected to pay for a one way flight."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2005

Peace and quiet - You jest

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"Arrived after 6 hour delay to be told I would have to wait over an hour for dinner as restaurant closed. Being diabetic I could not wait and so ordered food from room service at extra cost to me. Food in general is a problem at this hotel. Goat and rabbit are not high on my list when dining out neither is turkey ( Christmas Eve Gala Meal ) when served in lumps complete with bones - have seen road kill look more appetizing. The whole piglet adorning cold buffet complete with eyes open was enough to make you veggie. Most food was cold hence the micro wave oven in the dining room. Pool area was being re tiled so noise from angle grinder and the dumper truck being used around the pool made it impossible to relax and chill out - the whole idea of my staying here. Two swimming pools turned green over night and I dont know why and feared the answer should I have ventured to ask! Room was of a good standard as usually I end up in a broom cupboard as a single traveller. Will not be returning and this " none " holidays is subject to formal complaint to Portland direct"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2005

I am not a fussy person and rarely compl...

Reviewed Fri 9th of December 2005

"I am not a fussy person and rarely complain but I can only assume that the standards at this hotel have fallen. It is a very attractive hotel with good facilities and friendly staff but the food was, to say the least, poor. It was cold, poor quality and the service was badly organised.

They have had so many complaints about the cold food they have added a microwave and the central area where the chef cooks all the meats and fish to order has such queues that there is a notice warning you not to get your vegetables until you have had your meat or fish served otherwise it will go cold. If they could only get the standard of the food sorted and better organisation this would be very nice hotel.

There is an a la carte restaurant with a set meal but the clue was that nobody was eating in there and it looked like a school canteen with no atmosphere at all. Presumably the same staff do the cooking so we did not risk it."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of December 2005

3* hotel

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"Don't be fooled by it size as you drive up to it, this is a 3 STAR HOTEL at best.

This hotel is in desperate need of refurbishment. If a hotel has five stars by its name you don't expect bits of plaster missing and touched up with a bit of emulsion, carpets in the corridor split.

The worst has to be the food which was disgusting, I'm not a fussy eater but I just mainly eat the salads and sweets which were just edible. Don't go into the dinning room late as you have no chance of getting anything remotly hot or edible. The tables are not cleaned away until somebody sits down and a grunt from the waiters. In there defence it seem that the dinning room is under staffed.

Pool area is nice but has the coldest water I have ever come across, even the so called acclimatized pool.

The hote is set back from Tequise and is a brisk 25 mins from the main areas of Tequise and not a few hundreds metres as it says in the brouchures, ok during the day but is a long walk at night.

The people at reception don't speak much English at all, the rest don't speak any at all.

This hotel seems to cater mainly for the Spanish as it was about 75% Spanish people there.

A good refurbishment and the dinning area sorted out would bring this hotel up to scratch, a good guide of a hotel is would you go back and I wouldn't go back to this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of November 2005

A Place Of Tranquility?? Yeh Right!!!!!

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"me and my fiance just got back from the beatriz on thrusday! my mum had highley recommended that we go there! at frist glance the hotel is truly amazing. Rooms i found were not up to 4 star and could definatly do with a refurb.food was bearly warm and found that buy the second week it all tasted the same! my boyfriend and i are 22 and found that a lot of the people there are in there 40s. i also found that the spanish people that were staying there we rude and ignorantt.It was a case of if youre stupid you've got the job, staff i found to be rude slamming the coffee down at breakfast they were disorganised we waited half an hour most mornings for a table at brekfast and then another 15 for coffe. when we were having our evening meal they used to stand right infront of our table talking and laughing, and im not exagerating there bums were touching the end of our table. I found that the place was full of spanish and it made you feel a bit like an outsider the entertainment was good after half ten before that you had a realy doggy band trying to sing. down the road you have some shops and restaurants, we eat out a few times for breckfast which was 2 euros and a meal at night would set you back 20 euros for two people! i would advise people going to only stay a week any longer and you most definatly see the craks i wouldnt go back not even when i am older which is a shame because the hotel is lovely and i am not a complainer i just here so many good storys that i needed to tell people what we had experienced."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of October 2005